United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 14s
Overall Rank = 357/2761
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 64/316
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45 and headed out to the rez. Ate breakfast in the car and tried to force down a lot of water - I was afraid it was going to be pretty hot out, and wanted to make sure I was hydrated. Parked and then walked a mile to transition with my bike and stuff. Set up transition, then met up with Cathy (cogirl), Shannon (swgtri), Melanie (colmingle), and Blackbud and his wife. My wave didn't start until an hour and a half after the race start so I had plenty of time for socializing - also talked to some ladies from my tri club, and caught up with a girl I went to college with who had come up from NM for this race.
Event warmup:

None, except for the mile long walk into the race site from the car.
Swim
  • 14m 40s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was INSANE (this is going to be the theme of this race report)!!! First of all, the ladies in my age group are merciless. I lined up near the front, and it had to be the most agressive swim start I've ever experienced! By the time I hit the first buoy, I had already caught the wave in front of mine - there were a lot of first timers out thre breaststroking, so I felt like I spent a lot of time swimming around people trying not to get kicked. After the second buoy, I made the dumbest mistake - the first and third buoys are both blue, and after I rounded the second buoy, I spotted a blue buoy and started heading toward it. After about 30 seconds or so, I see people swimming the other direction and think to myself, "What the heck?" Then I realize I've been sighting the first buoy, rather than the third - OOPS!!!! Probably got 50 yds off course. After that I got on course and had a good swim into the finish. My swim coach happened to be the volunteer that helped me get out of the water, so I said hey to him and was on my way.

Last year's swim time was 16:32 - cut 1:52 off that time.
What would you do differently?:

Um, swim toward the right buoy...Duh.
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

Ugh - got out of the water where they make you cross the timing mat, and all the women in front of me are walking SOOOOO slowly. I'm all amped and ready to run to my transition spot, and I'm stuck behind them until we get over the mat. Rest of transition went smoothly. Oh, except they wouldn't let you run in the transition area!! I'm running out with my bike and they're all yelling at me to walk, so I have to stop and walk. Ugh. This is a TRIATHLON, for god's sake. What's the deal?

Pick a race with a smaller transition area, where they let you run with your bike!!
Bike
  • 43m 32s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course kicked my butt last year, so I was looking forward to improving over last year's time. Headed out of transition, and some girl tried to mount her bike running in the grass next to me and almost rode right into the side of me - eek!! I normally get passed a lot on the bike leg of tris, but here I was only passed by a few people, and passed literally hundreds. I felt pretty strongly while I was out on the bike course that it just wasn't SAFE - there were too many women out there who didn't really know to stay to the right, and there were a couple of times I thought I was going to go down because someone veered to the left while I was passing them. At about mile 5, there was a big bike accident on the other side of the road - a lady had gone off the road and was down in the ditch with about 10 women around her. On my way back in, I had to make way twice for police heading to the accident, and once for the ambulance. Doesn't really make for a good feeling bike ride!! I pushed it pretty hard for most of the ride, but got stuck in a huge traffic jam for about a mile before the turnaround - felt that this cut into my time a bit.

Last year's bike time was 50:40 - cut 7:08 off that time.

Try not to get stuck behind people so much. Ride LOTS more - I'm just not that strong on the bike!
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Once again, couldn't run with my bike in transition. Finally got yankz for my running shoes - it was SOOO nice to not have to fumble with shoe laces for once!!!!!

Nothing, really.
Run
  • 29m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't run all week due to a foot injury, so I wasn't sure how the foot was going to feel. Headed out, and the foot started to ache immediately. Stopped at 0.5 miles and loosed my shoe laces to see if that would help, then got running again. My legs and breathing felt great, but my foot continued to hurt, especially on the uphills. On a couple of the steeper parts, I had to stop and walk for about 30 seconds becaus the foot was hurting and I didn't want to push it.

Last year's run time was 32:56 - cut 3:30 off that time, even with the injury.

Not have a foot injury!!
Post race
Warm down:

I always forget to cool-down after races. Met up with Nate and headed over to where my tri club was meeting to get some food. Chatted with some people there for a while. Ran into Mark and said hey to him. Met up with Cathy and Erik and hung out with them while Tara played on the playground. Foot was hurting after the race, so I rode my bike back to the car while Nate walked, then went home and took a nap!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My left foot, whatever the heck is wrong with it. Also, the number of people on the course made for a LOT of traffic jams.

Event comments:

I rated this race low because I just think it's too big. I think the race organizers do a good job considering the number of people, but 3500 women in one race is just too many to deal with from a logistical standpoint. I think it's a great first-timer's race, but I just think a lot of it is more of a hassle than a regular tri. Also, I REALLY felt (as I mentioned before) that the bike course was not safe due to the number of people. I'm surprised there aren't more serious accidents out there. I probably won't do this race again - I felt stressed out most of the race, and just didn't really enjoy myself as much as I do at other races.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:40 | 750 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 32/316
Overall: 146/2761
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: Diamond shaped course around 3 buoys. Start and finish at the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:32 | 12.4 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 82/316
Overall: 753/2761
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back on Quincy with rolling hills. Total elevation gain of about 765 feet over 12.4 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:26 | 03.1 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 104/316
Overall: 512/2761
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on a mixture of dirt and cement paths. Rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: Danskin - Denver

2005-07-18 9:56 AM
in reply to: #200883

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Danskin - Denver

YOU DID IT!  You cut your time significantly from last year!  AWESOME JOB!

2005-07-18 10:01 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

LOL!  You didn't mention the 2 girls saving 4 feet of space on the bike rack!   

Nice race, great improvement!  I don't think I'll do it again either. It IS crazy!

2005-07-18 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Call me crazy but I'm thinking that dropping 12:30 off of last year's time is pretty damn impressive! And that includes an additional 50 yards on the swim and a couple walks. Too bad your foot hurt but at least you were able to manage through it. Very nicely done!
2005-07-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: #200906

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
COgirl - 2005-07-18 8:01 AM

LOL!  You didn't mention the 2 girls saving 4 feet of space on the bike rack!   

Hehe...I figured my race report my come across as too cranky if I started off talking about the mean girls in transition!
2005-07-18 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Congratulations! You cut some serious time off last year's time - that's awesome! What you described about the race conditions is exactly what I have heard about the race in the past and is why it was NOT on my race calendar this year. But despite those hardships, walking through transition (WTF?????), foot pain, swimming for the wrong buoy (pity anyone who was drafting off of you!), you still rocked the race.

2005-07-18 11:15 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great job on the time goals!  My wife ran in transition anyway, and they were screaming at her!  She had the same complaints about breast strokers and poor biking skills!  Great race!
2005-07-18 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Added pix   Better images in my album...
2005-07-19 12:06 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Great race! You did awesome...I totally agree with you about the crowds being dangerous.  And I also mis-sighted by about 50yds...but I am going to blame it on the fact that I wear glasses, didn't have them one and couldn't see a darn thing and the 1st buoy was blue...against blue water...and blue sky. Who thought up that one...ever heard of orange or yellow?

Anyways...you did fabulous. I'd love to train together more often.  I live in Ken-Caryl..so close to you, I think!  Drop me a line!

Melanie
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin - Denver Rss Feed