United States
Danksin
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 44s
Overall Rank = 953/2761
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 146/316
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00. Had oatmeal and a banana. Loaded the car and headed out to Aurora Rez. Ate a Luna on the way, and arrived about 5:20...didn't want to get caught in the same traffic mess that happened last year. Hiked the mile+ from the parking area to the transition site and spectator area with hubby and Mom. Set up my transition area with the large obnoxious ballon hubby had so dutifully picked up three spots from the end. Went to find hubbby, Mom, and various friends. Met up with several BTers, including Stacers, COgirl, Colomingle, and Blackbud. Cheered on other waves as they started their swim. Then went back to my transition area to do a final check and pull on the wetsuit. Discovered that my bike was now the sixth bike from the end, and my things had been moved. Minor grrr, but I wasn't going to let it affect my day!
Event warmup:

Hiking from the car and all over the event site. Did a few arm swing warm-ups as well...like I saw all the swim team kids do!
Swim
  • 17m 43s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

A pretty solid swim. Not the best open water swim of my life, but pretty darn good. I even caught a few racers from the 2 waves ahead of me! Got slightly off course for a few strokes, but adjusted to sighting more frequently, and did fairly well. Got kicked/hit a few times, but that is part of these mass swim starts!

Considering I never did any kind of organized swimming before my aquathons this year, I am pretty pleased with my overall swim rank!
What would you do differently?:

Let myself get into a bit more of a zone.
Transition 1
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

After running about the length of a football field, got to my transition area to find someone standing on my towel. Tried to not be too aggrivated when I said "EXCUSE ME!!!" She got out of my way and I got into everything else rather smoothly. Only hitch was un-velcroing (yep, creating words here!) my gloves from my helmet strap...took a bit too long. Couldn't run with our bikes in the transition area (what's up with that???), so I trotted my bike out and took off flying!

Not have my gloves velcroed around my helmet strap.
Bike
  • 46m 42s
  • 20 kms
  • 25.70 km/hr
Comments:

This was a very crowded course! The large number of people made it a bit difficult to take corners effectively and carry downhill speed into the uphills. A lot of people who did know to keep to the right except when passing made passing difficult. There was one rather serious-looking crash well off of the road, but many people had already stopped to help, so I cruised on to notify a course marshall.

Had difficulty removing/replacing my large waterbottle from one of my cages, so I wasn't inclined to drink much from that bottle.

I did hit a new personal speed record (40.1 mph!). Because this was an out and back course, the headwind going out helped a bit coming back.

Put a small/short waterbottle in the cage on my seatpost. Work on hills!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Had plenty of room at the rack when I got back (yeah!). Found I had forgotten to loosen the laces on my running shoes, so that slowed me a bit, but got off fairly well.

Umm, loosen my shoe laces before the race.
Run
  • 33m 51s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 46s  min/km
Comments:

I'm a slow runner anyway, but I started having some, ahem, digestive issues on the run. My entire abdomin cramped up about halfway through. Had to stop and walk for a few seconds a couple of times. Also, thought I was on the final hill one hill too early, so I burned some sprint energy on that hill. Still found enough to pass a couple of women in the finish shoot.

Skip the Buca di Beppo special the night before. ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to find my hubby and mom...they left their positions by the course before I could get there, so this was a rather lengthy process. Chatted with folks, ate a banana, drank some water, and got a massage (they were free!). Then went to break down my transition area, hike to the car, and sit in the long line of vehicles waiting to get out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The crowded course and, ahem, digestive issues.

Event comments:

This race was extremely crowded. I don't know if I will do it next year, but it was a good first race.

Overall, I had a blast, and I can't wait for my next race...three weeks and counting!

Last updated: 2005-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:43 | 750 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/316
Overall: 587/2761
Performance: Good
Suit: Oniell Sleeveless Tri Wetsuit
Course: Counterclockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:42 | 20 kms | 25.70 km/hr
Overall: 1184/2761
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: This was an out and back, hilly course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:33:51 | 05 kms | 06m 46s  min/km
Overall: 1219/2761
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly, with concrete, asphalt, and dirt paths.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Subject: Denver Danskin 2005

2005-07-18 2:40 PM
in reply to: #201370

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Denver Danskin 2005

Fantastic job on your first triathlon!!! You smoked the swim for someone who has never done any organized swimming! 

If you can handle the crowds at this race, you can handle any other race   Way to go!!!

Oh, and FYI I just put that picture of the 4 of us before the race in my album.

Edited by Stacers 2005-07-18 2:41 PM
2005-07-18 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Great job in your first race, Shannon. You are a triathlete! I second what Stacey said - probably  no other tri you'll ever do will be as crowded as Danskin. That's awesome that you're already looking forward to your next race - that means your addicted like the rest of us!

Congratulations!

2005-07-18 6:06 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Shannon you did AWESOME!  Great race.  Very cool first tri!  And yeah, this one IS crowded, and any others you do won't be so bad! 

Congratulations!

2005-07-18 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Great job Shannon!  Next year, if you want an uncrowded race, come do Table Mountain with me!
2005-07-18 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Very nice race - how's it feel to have your first one done?! I will say, though, that with all of your times in metric it's like everything's incognito to me. I have absolutely no idea how fast your bike and run are, but I'll guess you were cruisin pretty well! Good job!

2005-07-18 11:57 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Great job! I agree about the crowds on the road...a bit crazy for me and it also hampered my speeds on the downhill and at the Left turn back into the reservoir.  You did awesome..sorry about the tummy trouble! It was nice meeting you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Denver Danskin 2005 Rss Feed