General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soft Cases, your thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-16 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: Soft Cases, your thoughts?
Any thoughts on soft bike cases for travel?

Goal: reduce any extra handling charges on the airlines; keep bike protected but keep case light.

I think I've narrowed down to (2) products:

pika packworks eep vs aerus biospeed case

Any experience with the (2) or any alternate recommendations to the aforementioned would be great!

2010-08-16 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3045356

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Soft Cases, your thoughts?
Have you ever looked out the window of your airplane and seen them load your luggage?  I've seen bags thrown out of an aircraft onto the ground from 15 ft.  If you plan to fly your bike in a softcase, I recommend you save yourself the anticipation and just go ahead and toss your bike out a 2nd story window now.
2010-08-16 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
Are you buying one??
2010-08-16 8:54 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Soft cases are designed to protect the bike from scratches, some minor bumps, and to keep the oil on the chain from smearing on other surfaces (backseat of a car for example). They're not really designed to handle the forces of an airport...

Yes, it can save handling charges from the airlines, but it can also cost you quite a bit in broke derailleur hangers, or worse, cracked frames. Your insurance company will probably question your claims as well as the bike wasn't properly packed.
2010-08-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3045440

User image

Master
Raleigh
mikerunkle - 2010-08-15 9:33 PM Have you ever looked out the window of your airplane and seen them load your luggage?  I've seen bags thrown out of an aircraft onto the ground from 15 ft.  If you plan to fly your bike in a softcase, I recommend you save yourself the anticipation and just go ahead and toss your bike out a 2nd story window now.

While this may be true, there are many successful stories along with the bad. I understand the risks of a soft case, thus the reason for this thread- to gather the thoughts and comments on different soft cases available in the market. 

I think with a proper configuration in packing your bike that the inherent risks of handling can be overcome with preparation (dropout supports, tubing pads, etc.).

I've packed my fragile edged snowboards/ skis many times with little to no padding and my bags are thinly lined, never experienced a gouge or blunt force damage. 

gts - 2010-08-15 9:40 PM Are you buying one??

Considering one. Researching stage right now- I want to avoid the enormousity of a hard case as much as possible.

audiojan - 2010-08-15 9:54 PM Soft cases are designed to protect the bike from scratches, some minor bumps, and to keep the oil on the chain from smearing on other surfaces (backseat of a car for example). They're not really designed to handle the forces of an airport... Yes, it can save handling charges from the airlines, but it can also cost you quite a bit in broke derailleur hangers, or worse, cracked frames. Your insurance company will probably question your claims as well as the bike wasn't properly packed.

Exactly the reason I considered them. Can toss them in a car or on the car rack as well as alternate travel forms.

Thank you for all the input! Keep it coming...

Edited by halfpint 2010-08-16 9:02 AM
2010-08-16 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
You are a brave, brave man. There is no way I would trust my $2,500 bike to luggage handlers in a soft case.

2010-08-16 10:23 AM

Master
portland, or
I use a soft case and have flown a lot with my tri, road and cross bikes with no problems. However I don't use it to try and get away from the bike charges at the airport. My bikes are too big (61) to fit in the bags that are within the parameters needed to not qualify as oversized.

I use a SciCon Aero case. With my road and cross bikes all I do is take the wheels off. With my tri bike I have to remove the handle bars along with the wheels, but everything else stays in place.

scott
2010-08-16 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area
I work for an airline. There is ZERO liability when you check your bike in a soft sided case. Get the hard sided. Better safe than sorry.
2010-08-16 12:10 PM

It's a good idea to reduce costs but you just have to make sure you get the right case. I would go with a custom made case with custom prepared foam so that your bike doesn't get damaged in the process of your travels. I found South-Pak. They do fantastic custom soft cases but mostly for big companies. They have a big reputation for making custom made high quality cases.
2010-08-16 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Three words for this problem: Tri Bike Transport ... their prices are in line with airline cost and most shipping (depending upon whether the shipper actually checks the dimensions of the case or not).

Soft case = t-r-o-u-b-l-e waiting to happen.  It may not the first time, you may even skate the second time ... but bad things are going to happen that would otherwise not happen if you used a hardshell case.

Actually, traveling with a bike would be the absolute last option after Tri Bike Transport and shipping.
2010-08-16 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I would never put my baby in a soft case and hand it to a monkey.

You might check your insurance provider and see if they would cover such a thing.

Do a search on Youtube, there are plenty of horror stories on there of people's bikes being trashed. One vid I remember was a Delta flight, the bike frame came back broken into three different pieces. The said tough s&^%.

So yeah, I wouldn't do it. If I travel for a race I would like into renting a bike once I got there.

2010-08-16 12:56 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I, my SO, and lots of friends have made multiple trips on airlines with hard cases, soft cases and even bikes packed in cardboard boxes. I use a hard case, my SO uses a soft case. Both are built for bikes and we've never had any problems. It's all about how you pack the bike. Use the foam and the inserts for the dropouts.

The only bike that I know that got damaged didn't have the insert in the dropout and that's where it was damaged.

So in my (some number between n=1 and n=all of my friend's) experience, the soft cases is just as reliable as the hard case.

ETA: Neither the hard case nor the soft case avoided the extra airline charges and both end up weighing about the same.

Edited by jeng 2010-08-16 12:57 PM
2010-08-16 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
cool replies...

I also like the idea of a soft case being able to get put away easier when not in use. Yes I've heard the airline horror stories- but agree with the last poster, I'm sure its all about how you prep your bike to ship. Impact foam works wonders... 
2012-01-07 6:54 AM

New user

Hello guys,

what type of bag you are looking for ?? follow below link you'll get your solution..

2012-01-07 7:00 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I have a Pika Packworks and have brought my bike all over the country with it.  I love love love the case.   Never any issues with damage and sometimes I don't get the bike baggage fee. 

With regard to issue of hard case versus soft case, if there's a direct hit on the case, the hard case transfers the energy and the soft case absorbs it.  Plus there's so much padding inside the case, its unlikely anything will happen to your bike. 

2012-01-07 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3976339

Master
Northern IL
jhonpaul - 2012-01-07 6:54 AM

Hello guys,

what type of bag you are looking for ?? follow below link you'll get your solution..

It's nice to have another source to look at, but I would guess they found something considering there is a 19 month gap in the posts.

2012-01-07 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3976549

Coquitlam

Have only used a soft case

http://aeruscomp.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16

And have never had any problems. One airline employee told me that something packed in a heavy hard case tends to get roughed up more (put on the bottom of a pile of other luggage) than a lightweight soft case. Of course the airline you use does play into this to a certain extent. On occasion I have even had my case go through only being charged as an extra bag.

2012-01-07 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

If you have always used a soft case and never had a problem, that is awesome.

In my opinion, using a softcase to ship your bike is like wearing a hat and calling it a helmet.

2012-01-07 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have one of these and think it's amazing

http://www.biknd.com/home.html

It's light. It's inflatable. You detach the rear derailleur and it's tucked away safely. You can fold it up when you get to destination and fit all into a small car. It's great.

2012-01-07 1:01 PM

Master
, California

The replies sort of sound like you've already decided on a soft case.  Maybe I should post some photos of the damage to my hard case from my last trip.

Flat carbon surfaces are your biggest risk.  A disc wheel is the most vulnerable, followed by deep dish carbon wheels, and then probably the downtube on a carbon aero frame.  Any of those items can get cracked or punctured by impact on a small point.  Like your bag gets tossed out and lands on a small wheel or handle of someone else's bag.  Not uncommon.

2012-01-07 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3976347

User image

Los Angeles
kaburns1214 - 2012-01-07 5:00 AM

I have a Pika Packworks and have brought my bike all over the country with it.  I love love love the case.   Never any issues with damage and sometimes I don't get the bike baggage fee. 

With regard to issue of hard case versus soft case, if there's a direct hit on the case, the hard case transfers the energy and the soft case absorbs it.  Plus there's so much padding inside the case, its unlikely anything will happen to your bike. 

This.  PPWorks was the first to make soft cases and believe me your bike will be fine.  Plus you have a 50/50 shot of getting out of the airline fee.  

Make sure the total weight is under the Airlines's overweight fee (usually50lbs) Pack smart and useyour tri clothes to buffer fame and wheels.  I still wrap pipe insulation around large pieces ofcarbon.

Pre-pay for an extra bag (your bike).  Counter people don't want to refund then have you repay,blah, blah, blah.

Carry it on your shoulder (look how light it is!)  Smile, be pleasant, flirt a bit.  When they ask what  it is say "athletic equiptment for demonstrations).

2012-01-08 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3976915

Coquitlam
Just one other comment in that I see lots of cases of all types on Craigslist which is where I bought my $375 case for $100. Save yourself some money and check there first.
2012-01-08 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

soft case=your view your bike as disposable and can afford to replace it.

I shipped my bike through UPS in a hard case.  It had a hole in the side the shape and size of a work boot.

In a seperate time, I traveled with Delta.  My bike box looked like it had been tossed off the luggage dolly and slid along the tarmac.  The box was trashed but my bike came through OK.

Luggage monkeys tend to toss luggage and stack things on luggage.  I'd rather suck up any extra charges and keep my bike safe.

2013-09-27 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

I have a Pika packworks bag which I've used a dozen or so times over the past 5-6 years, and I've lent it to friends more times than I can count. NEVER has anyone had even the slightest bit of damage done to their bikes. This includes several $12k+ Pinarellos and high end carbon/ti Serottas. The bag has travelled internationally and domestically. It's gone through third world airports and super large automated airports like Denver, O'Hare and DFW.

The Pika case uses the radial stiffness of your wheels as the primary stiffening member of the bag. To stiffen the bag even further, I went to a sign store and had a couple of large pieces of corplast (basically plastic corrugated cardboard) cut to fit the wheel sleeves and fit around the outer perimeter of the bag. These effectively armor the bag, give it structure like a big cardboard box and add additional protection to the spokes and rims as these panels sit outboard of the wheels. I can (and have) literally stood on the packed bag laid on its side and nothing moved or budged. The bag itself may be "soft", but once it's packed it's as stiff and strong as a rigid case. And, when packed with my bike, wheels, helmet and quite a few clothing items, always weighs less than 40lbs. It can easily be picked up and moved with one hand.

Those "rigid" cases, on the other hand, scare the crap out of me. While ones like the Iron Case may be made out of hard plastic, there's virtually no structure at all to the middle of the case. Which means, that any weight placed in the middle of the case is actually pressing directly on the wheels (the hubs actually), which then press directly on your frame. Several friends of mine own those, and I've packed their bikes for them. I did NOT feel in the least bit confident that their bikes would show up unscathed. I was absolutely confident, however, that my bike would arrive intact and unharmed.

Oh, and even after being used as much as my Pika has, it still looks like new.. externally at least. The inside is a bit greasy, but the outside is totally unharmed. And I can compress it down into a small box for storage. Try that with a true hard case.

Oh, one other thing to consider. A light weight bag that isn't overly large and cumbersome will be treated with much more respect by the baggage handlers. It'll, more often than not, be loaded along with the general baggage and be treated as such. Large, heavy bike boxes WILL be treated poorly because they're difficult to move and baggage handlers hate them. They'll drop kick them out of the plane onto the tarmac. They'll toss them with no regard to the contents.

Edited by psyclism 2013-09-27 2:20 PM
2013-09-27 7:45 PM
in reply to: psyclism

Originally posted by psyclism

I have a Pika packworks bag which I've used a dozen or so times over the past 5-6 years, and I've lent it to friends more times than I can count. NEVER has anyone had even the slightest bit of damage done to their bikes. This includes several $12k+ Pinarellos and high end carbon/ti Serottas. The bag has travelled internationally and domestically. It's gone through third world airports and super large automated airports like Denver, O'Hare and DFW.

The Pika case uses the radial stiffness of your wheels as the primary stiffening member of the bag. To stiffen the bag even further, I went to a sign store and had a couple of large pieces of corplast (basically plastic corrugated cardboard) cut to fit the wheel sleeves and fit around the outer perimeter of the bag. These effectively armor the bag, give it structure like a big cardboard box and add additional protection to the spokes and rims as these panels sit outboard of the wheels. I can (and have) literally stood on the packed bag laid on its side and nothing moved or budged. The bag itself may be "soft", but once it's packed it's as stiff and strong as a rigid case. And, when packed with my bike, wheels, helmet and quite a few clothing items, always weighs less than 40lbs. It can easily be picked up and moved with one hand.

Those "rigid" cases, on the other hand, scare the crap out of me. While ones like the Iron Case may be made out of hard plastic, there's virtually no structure at all to the middle of the case. Which means, that any weight placed in the middle of the case is actually pressing directly on the wheels (the hubs actually), which then press directly on your frame. Several friends of mine own those, and I've packed their bikes for them. I did NOT feel in the least bit confident that their bikes would show up unscathed. I was absolutely confident, however, that my bike would arrive intact and unharmed.

Oh, and even after being used as much as my Pika has, it still looks like new.. externally at least. The inside is a bit greasy, but the outside is totally unharmed. And I can compress it down into a small box for storage. Try that with a true hard case.

Oh, one other thing to consider. A light weight bag that isn't overly large and cumbersome will be treated with much more respect by the baggage handlers. It'll, more often than not, be loaded along with the general baggage and be treated as such. Large, heavy bike boxes WILL be treated poorly because they're difficult to move and baggage handlers hate them. They'll drop kick them out of the plane onto the tarmac. They'll toss them with no regard to the contents.

Those "rigid" cases, on the other hand, scare the crap out of me. While ones like the Iron Case may be made out of hard plastic, there's virtually no structure at all to the middle of the case. Which means, -------------The triall 3 cases do have a rigid tube in the middle of the case. Hauling a bike and bag/box in the airport is a pain in the rear end. It is much easier and safer to use 3rd party shipping to the next location.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soft Cases, your thoughts? Rss Feed  

of 2