2010-09-04 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3082212

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Does it bug you....
Fastyellow - 2010-09-04 3:38 PM
I guess from now on I'll just get the markings if they are convenient and I have time, as they are obviously not required.

At your own risk, since age markings are included with the bib number markings. No bib number markings and the timer may miss you coming through, particularly after the swim. Even in chip-timed races my timer keeps track of bib numbers as a redundant system, should the chips fail.

2010-09-04 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3079542

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
So what are your feelings about people wearing compression socks that cover the age group marking on their calf.

As far as the race number goes, there is some rationale behind requiring the number on the run. If the timing system malfunctions, most races will go to the back up, Recording the time and corresponding number as they cross the finish line. From what I understand, per the USAT rules you are not required to wear a race number on the bike leg only on the run (on the front of the runner) for this reason.

Personally, I like to know how old all the hottie triathletes are .
2010-09-06 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3082265

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
southwestmba - 2010-09-04 5:29 PM So what are your feelings about people wearing compression socks that cover the age group marking on their calf. As far as the race number goes, there is some rationale behind requiring the number on the run. If the timing system malfunctions, most races will go to the back up, Recording the time and corresponding number as they cross the finish line. From what I understand, per the USAT rules you are not required to wear a race number on the bike leg only on the run (on the front of the runner) for this reason. Personally, I like to know how old all the hottie triathletes are .

Or how about the heavily tattooed people, that makes reading the marking difficult?

The only reason to have the numbers on the person is to call them out for infractions.  While it may be helpful if you are injured to be able to ID you for the hospital, if it is serious, they will treat you anyway.  If you can speak for yourself, then you will.  And (addressing the facetious comment about the hospital not having a chip reader) the hospital doesn't have the race listing either to pick you out from your number.

I do a lot more 5k's than tri's, mainly for the convenience and price.  There are no body markings on anyone.  And if I still have some kick left at the end, I try to pass anyone I can, regardless of age or gender.  Granted, as a BOP runner, there may not be many people left in front of me, but I figure if I am racing, then I am racing. I think if you are going to be upset about missing a podium spot because you did not push yourself in the last 0.1-0.25 miles when people were passing you, you probably deserved to miss the spot.  Because at that point in the race, there is no point in trying to conserve yourself (what are you waiting for at that point?).  MAYBE if you get passed on the bike or early in the run, you might be holding back a bit.  But isn't that the flip side of people being called out as unprepared who plan to walk, or swim kayak to kayak? 

Personally, I prefer not to see the age of the people passing me.  That "70" really demoralized me!
2010-09-07 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3084276

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Personally, I prefer not to see the age of the people passing me.  That "70" really demoralized me!

LOL, I find the "70" and the "14" equally demoralizing...
2010-09-07 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3079589

User image

Veteran
dhopman - 2010-09-02 5:55 PM This only bothers me if she has a nice pace booty and I'm left guessing if she's close to my age or not.

So if she's 45yo with a nice pace booty, that's different than 25? I'd be more impressed w/an older's woman's hot bod!
2010-09-07 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
If people don't have the AG marking it really makes it hard to play "Guess the Age Group."

2010-09-07 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3082185

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
the bear - 2010-09-04 3:20 PM
Fastyellow - 2010-09-04 2:56 PM
newbz - 2010-09-04 11:26 AM
gts - 2010-09-04 12:02 PM
Karibu - 2010-09-02 10:00 PM Fastyellow I am completely with you.

Me too.

For goodness sakes, you enter a race - abide by the rules. If you don't like the rules - don't enter.
For goodness sakes, THERE IS NO RULE PER USAT OR WTC THAT I KNOW OF FOR AG MARKINGS....... And there is a very very good chance even if it was on there it was gone by the time the swim was over. On the times i actually use something to help get it off, i use PAM in my wetsuit. it will take a number off in seconds.

Well there is a rule about your number that you have sometimes lost....from USAT:

??f. Race Numbers. Participants shall plainly display their race numbers at all times, and shall maintain the race number in an unaltered, unobstructed and readable state at the start and finish gates, in the transition areas, and on the course. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

So you are responsible for your bib.

I have a question then about the rules. I was unable to find anything about body markings (race number or AG) in the USAT rules. So does that mean that body markings are optional? If they are indeed completely optional, then I would have zero case with regards to AG markings.

It was my understanding that maybe they fell into some clause that says the RD can make them mandatory...or something to that effect.

As I've been saying all along. As a USAT official I know of no rule, nor have i ever heard of an individual RD trying to impose such a rule. The USAT has a procedure should a RD want to do so, but I've never heard that one has.

I've been in many USAT-sanctioned races where they didn't even mark your age.

I can also say, as an official, that bib number markings are of little use. As has been pointed out numerous times here, they tend to get faded, smeared, and obliterated during the course of a race. It's a redundant device, I prefer to look for the actual bib or bike number.

One of the funniest things I've ever encountered was an over-ambitious marker at REV3 insisting that I remove my shirt so that she could mark my upper arm, even after I told her I was wearing long sleeves throughout the race.

In our region, the RDs make this rule at almost every race.  You must get body marked before you can enter transition.  Everyone.

I think it may be an insurance thing.  Some go so far to make the rule that you must be bodymarked and your bike number must be ON YOUR BIKE before entering transition.  Then, each time you leave the area with your bike - not during the race - they check body number to bike number and make sure you didn't leave your steel Schwinn  in transition while heading off with another persons carbon Cervelo.

As USAT officials, we generally don't get into the "enforcement" of this rule, as it is left to the transition and body marking volunteers.  I was called over at the last race I officiated (Big Creek Traithlon) and asked to explain the rule to a participant who didn't want to be bodymarked.

My explanation was simple.  The RD makes rules for the race participants.  This RD has this rule.  You follow the rule or you don't race.

I was involved in an issue where there is a movement to change from having an age to a letter which corresponds to an age.  Say, all 20-29 males have a T on their calf.  It seems that some people are not happy about their age being shown to the world.  Heck - I think if you are 40+ and racing you should wear your age as a badge of honor - but maybe that is becasue I am 40+ myself. 
2010-09-07 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Psh I dont care if they're marked or not. Nobody passes me on the run anyway. Yeah. I'm THAT FAST.
2010-09-07 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3084276

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
gearboy - 2010-09-06 7:33 PM And (addressing the facetious comment about the hospital not having a chip reader) the hospital doesn't have the race listing either to pick you out from your number.

Not sure if y'all have heard about them in the Alabama part of Pennsylvania, but they have these things now called cell phones that you could contact the race folks with and get the next of kin info at the hospital.

It's not a matter of "do we treat them or not" - it's a matter of "let's contact the next of kin and find out if there are any pre-existing conditions that we need to worry about as we go forward or take him/her into surgery.  Unfortunately, in two races I have worked, it is about contacting the next of kin in case of death.  Those two guys were unable to speak up and tell the folks in the ambulance who they were. 
2010-09-07 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3085086

User image

Veteran
jdwright56 - 2010-09-07 10:45 AM
gearboy - 2010-09-06 7:33 PM And (addressing the facetious comment about the hospital not having a chip reader) the hospital doesn't have the race listing either to pick you out from your number.

Not sure if y'all have heard about them in the Alabama part of Pennsylvania, but they have these things now called cell phones that you could contact the race folks with and get the next of kin info at the hospital.

It's not a matter of "do we treat them or not" - it's a matter of "let's contact the next of kin and find out if there are any pre-existing conditions that we need to worry about as we go forward or take him/her into surgery.  Unfortunately, in two races I have worked, it is about contacting the next of kin in case of death.  Those two guys were unable to speak up and tell the folks in the ambulance who they were. 

They died? Or were unconscious?
2010-09-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3085112

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
JoseyWales - 2010-09-07 10:56 AM
jdwright56 - 2010-09-07 10:45 AM

They died? Or were unconscious?

We had a death at Hy-Vee during the swim in 2008 and a death at Geode in 2009.  Hy-Vee was a heart issue during the swim.  Geode was a bike crash where the rider slid into a tree. 

2010-09-07 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3085143

User image

Veteran
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does it bug you.... Rss Feed  

of 4