General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-07-29 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3620752

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
tarheelathlete - 2011-07-29 12:45 PM

Dream Chaser - 2011-07-29 10:35 AM
mrbbrad - 2011-07-29 10:20 AM I am dragging my feet on the race report. I don't want the journey to end, but it has. I started triathlon training in 2007 with the express intention of completing an Ironman when I was 50. It's been a long, twisting journey and now that I have achieved that goal I set for myself I feel a bit of a loss. I know I'll keep racing, and may even do another 140.6 race at some point, but am already wondering what my next big goal will be. My wife and I are now focused on buying our first home together so that's a good "team" goal, but I know I need some sort of individual challenge. I tease the people that work for me that I'll now put all my energy and focus on work, but I've never been really career driven. I'm a Senior Manager now and could set a goal to become a Director but that doesn't excite me or inspire  the way Ironman has. So much open road ahead, and I plan to enjoy just cruising around for a while, but I know I work best when I have a definite destination in mind. Here's to the future!

I've followed a couple of Ironman discussion groups post race, so I was well aware of the Ironman post-blues, which is why I signed up for an October 70.3 and the Philadelphia Marathon earlier this year.  My new 'goal' and personal challenge is to run the Boston Marathon.  I also signed up for Ironman LP 2012.  Yeah, it's all crazy goals and it is expensive and time-consuming -- but much like you, my job does little, if nothing to motivate me.  Money and career is nice (I guess), but it's just window dressing for me.  Probably cause my job does not involve helping anyone or contributing to society, it just involves making money which is pretty damn shallow, IMO.  Training for Ironmans and Marathons is what fulfills me spritiually and so that's what I am going to continue to do.  Here's to a future of endurance sport!!

We are following a somewhat similiar path.  After placid, which was my first IM, I am now ready to focus on BQ'ing.  I have no idea how long it will take but Placid made me think it is closer than I originally thought.  I'm running the Philly in November again.  I ran 4:19 in my first marathon (the philly) in november and just ran a 4:10 @ Placid to finish in 11:47.  I still cant get over how excited I am with that progress.  Although I do question whether I messed up my pacing and should have started skipping aid stations starting mile 19 when I was feeling "decent."  However, I am really frustrated as to how much I enjoyed the IM haha...because now I'm hooked and will have to do another at some point. 

Question for your vets out there:  Does spending some time focusing on running till I get my marathon time sub 3 hours make sense before returning to IM?  I want to return to IM when I know I can comfortably go sub 11, maybe sub 10:45 (comfortably)  Thoughts on spending the next 6-7 months working almost exclusively on running?  I didn't know if the loss in bike fitness/swim fitness would cost me too much when I decide to return to IM.

My race report will be in the works soon and I am enjoying reading others.  Keep em coming

Ok, you guys convinced me...

Your registration is complete!

Event Name: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend
Date & Time: November 19, 2011 07:30 AM
Location: 22nd Street & Benjamin Franklin Parkway (Philadelphia Museum of Art area)

This confirms your registration for the MARATHON!

2011-07-29 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3620782

Veteran
mrbbrad - 2011-07-29 1:01 PM

mrbbrad - 2011-07-29 10:20 AM I am dragging my feet on the race report. I don't want the journey to end, but it has. I started triathlon training in 2007 with the express intention of completing an Ironman when I was 50. It's been a long, twisting journey and now that I have achieved that goal I set for myself I feel a bit of a loss. I know I'll keep racing, and may even do another 140.6 race at some point, but am already wondering what my next big goal will be. My wife and I are now focused on buying our first home together so that's a good "team" goal, but I know I need some sort of individual challenge. I tease the people that work for me that I'll now put all my energy and focus on work, but I've never been really career driven. I'm a Senior Manager now and could set a goal to become a Director but that doesn't excite me or inspire  the way Ironman has. So much open road ahead, and I plan to enjoy just cruising around for a while, but I know I work best when I have a definite destination in mind. Here's to the future!

I've followed a couple of Ironman discussion groups post race, so I was well aware of the Ironman post-blues, which is why I signed up for an October 70.3 and the Philadelphia Marathon earlier this year.  My new 'goal' and personal challenge is to run the Boston Marathon.  I also signed up for Ironman LP 2012.  Yeah, it's all crazy goals and it is expensive and time-consuming -- but much like you, my job does little, if nothing to motivate me.  Money and career is nice (I guess), but it's just window dressing for me.  Probably cause my job does not involve helping anyone or contributing to society, it just involves making money which is pretty damn shallow, IMO.  Training for Ironmans and Marathons is what fulfills me spritiually and so that's what I am going to continue to do.  Here's to a future of endurance sport!!

We are following a somewhat similiar path.  After placid, which was my first IM, I am now ready to focus on BQ'ing.  I have no idea how long it will take but Placid made me think it is closer than I originally thought.  I'm running the Philly in November again.  I ran 4:19 in my first marathon (the philly) in november and just ran a 4:10 @ Placid to finish in 11:47.  I still cant get over how excited I am with that progress.  Although I do question whether I messed up my pacing and should have started skipping aid stations starting mile 19 when I was feeling "decent."  However, I am really frustrated as to how much I enjoyed the IM haha...because now I'm hooked and will have to do another at some point. 

Question for your vets out there:  Does spending some time focusing on running till I get my marathon time sub 3 hours make sense before returning to IM?  I want to return to IM when I know I can comfortably go sub 11, maybe sub 10:45 (comfortably)  Thoughts on spending the next 6-7 months working almost exclusively on running?  I didn't know if the loss in bike fitness/swim fitness would cost me too much when I decide to return to IM.

My race report will be in the works soon and I am enjoying reading others.  Keep em coming

Location: 22nd Street & Benjamin Franklin Parkway (Philadelphia Museum of Art area)

Nice! That will be a good one and you won't have to travel!

I'm going to enjoy the break for a while then do the Nation's Triathlon on September 11. After that will probably return to rowing if we get a slot in Head of the Charles this year. I miss going anaerobic!

Ryan

2011-07-29 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3620782

User image

mrbbrad - 2011-07-29 1:01 PM

BE HONEST... YOU FEEL BETTER ALREADY ... DONTCHA'?? 

Funny thing is, Marathon training and stand-alone marathons beat me up more than Ironman training and the Ironman race.  MY legs feel absolutely perfect right now.  However, after a marathon I'm walking down stairs backwards for about a week.   

Mrbbrad, I highly recommend buying this book and picking a suitable plan from it.
2011-07-29 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3098185

Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2grfUwNBlA&feature=feedu

Awards banquet video is up! I dare you to watch and not get a little choked up

2011-07-29 5:40 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Awesome race reports everyone - really fun to read! I am going to do my best to get mine done this weekend.

Here is a link to TJ Tolakson's race report, which includes a link to his Power/HR/Cadence/Speed data on the bike. Seems like all I have to do between now and next year is learn to average 95 more watts on the bike and I too can turn a 4:34 bike split.

With 358 days left between now and IMLP 2012, that should be a piece of cake! Laughing

2011-07-30 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3621318

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
TankBoy - 2011-07-29 5:40 PM

Awesome race reports everyone - really fun to read! I am going to do my best to get mine done this weekend.

Here is a link to TJ Tolakson's race report, which includes a link to his Power/HR/Cadence/Speed data on the bike. Seems like all I have to do between now and next year is learn to average 95 more watts on the bike and I too can turn a 4:34 bike split.

With 358 days left between now and IMLP 2012, that should be a piece of cake! Laughing

Thanks for posting that link.  Interesting to see what it takes to be in the front.  Wish I could race an ironman with my HR at 152 on the bike and still run a marathon!

2011-07-30 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3621593

Veteran
acumenjay - 2011-07-30 6:59 AM
TankBoy - 2011-07-29 5:40 PM

Thanks for posting that link.  Interesting to see what it takes to be in the front.  Wish I could race an ironman with my HR at 152 on the bike and still run a marathon!

^ X2

2011-07-30 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
That was cool to read Tollakson's report and look at this training peaks file. It is just amazing to see how he can hold those kind of incredible numbers for that long a time and still run a sub 3 marathon. He must only weigh about 130lbs because for a guy that averaged an incredible 24.5 he only hit 48 (not that this isn't fast) on the Keene descent. That kind of surprised me.
2011-07-30 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3614157

User image

Grant, MI
glazebal - It was definitely an awesome day out there yesterday... I mean, I can't walk worth a damn today, but it was a WHOLE LOT OF FUN. Caught up with CKunst in the last couple of miles after her son passed by heading towards the oval. Got a "man hand shake" from Matt Long heading back in to the finish.

Thanks for speaking up and your companionship on the run.  I was probably not recognizing too many people by that time. Was that you I saw as we were leaving?  I was feeling very light-headed and definitely not recognizing anybody by then.

I did not bring my computer with to Lake Placid and forgot it at my son's house (originally was going to bring it until we had to start getting rid of anything extra due to space constraints) so have not been able to read anything until this afternoon.  By now, people are probably are done with this site.

All 4 of us - dad, mom, and 2 sons are now Ironmen!  What a great bonding experience.  My husband had a several funny experiences.  One was at the Inspiration station.  I had written a message for him "NEVER QUIT !" ( thinking of Winston Churchill).  When he ran the message came up #2859, Thomas, "Quit!"  He thought one of our boys had actually written it that way to be funny.  He said that just made him more determined, to show them.  We all had a good laugh. 

Hope everyone made it home safely.  I will miss hearing from all of you.  Please post what other Ironman events you are signing up for.

I'm not sure how to hyperlink this, but my race report is at:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=199245

2011-07-30 9:07 PM

Veteran
Vicksburg

I have some good pictures my wife took of our BT group at the swim Friday morning but I don't know how to post them.  I will email them to someone to post up if anyone is willing.  Just email me at [email protected]

2011-07-30 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3622072

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
peewee - 2011-07-30 10:07 PM

I have some good pictures my wife took of our BT group at the swim Friday morning but I don't know how to post them.  I will email them to someone to post up if anyone is willing.  Just email me at [email protected]

Hey peewee - just sent you an email - I am happy to serve them up for folks.

2011-07-30 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3621986

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=199245

You'll have to excuse ckunst when it comes to computers... she's a little slow.  It you wanted a link to her race report try this one.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=262870

Edited by cornerofdivision 2011-07-30 10:26 PM
2011-07-30 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3621986

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
ckunst - 2011-07-30 7:39 PM

glazebal - It was definitely an awesome day out there yesterday... I mean, I can't walk worth a damn today, but it was a WHOLE LOT OF FUN. Caught up with CKunst in the last couple of miles after her son passed by heading towards the oval. Got a "man hand shake" from Matt Long heading back in to the finish.

Thanks for speaking up and your companionship on the run.  I was probably not recognizing too many people by that time. Was that you I saw as we were leaving?  I was feeling very light-headed and definitely not recognizing anybody by then.

I did not bring my computer with to Lake Placid and forgot it at my son's house (originally was going to bring it until we had to start getting rid of anything extra due to space constraints) so have not been able to read anything until this afternoon.  By now, people are probably are done with this site.

All 4 of us - dad, mom, and 2 sons are now Ironmen!  What a great bonding experience.  My husband had a several funny experiences.  One was at the Inspiration station.  I had written a message for him "NEVER QUIT !" ( thinking of Winston Churchill).  When he ran the message came up #2859, Thomas, "Quit!"  He thought one of our boys had actually written it that way to be funny.  He said that just made him more determined, to show them.  We all had a good laugh. 

Hope everyone made it home safely.  I will miss hearing from all of you.  Please post what other Ironman events you are signing up for.

Yeah, that was me again . I'm glad all of you made it through. I checked the next day to see if your husband finished in time, and was happy to see that he did. Congrats to all of you!
2011-07-31 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3622115

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
cornerofdivision - 2011-07-30 11:12 PM

You'll have to excuse ckunst when it comes to computers... she's a little slow.  It you wanted a link to her race report try this one.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=262870

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Try this link

2011-07-31 11:01 AM

User image

Chris and Family!!!! WOW 4 ironmen in the family ..... what a day for you guys Smile

Bobby, I, too find stand alone marathon kicks it worse.

Brett, what an achievement to have gone from 5K to ironman!!! Incredible!!

I have been experimenting this week being a human who dosen't exercise all the time (done nothing!)  and it has been good but it wouldn't be long until I slide into a funk! I am doing the Hood to Coast running relay with my family in August which will be great.  I knew I needed a short and sweet post ironman goal so mine is to run a 1:44 half to qualify for NYC marathon. 

Hope you all are well

2011-07-31 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3615820

JMoney - 2011-07-26 4:47 PM

Monty - 2011-07-26 10:21 AM Congrats to everyone out there on Sunday....it was awesome to watch from the volunteer side this time! You got my juices going and I couldn't wait to sign up again for next year! Who else is in for 2012?

I'm in; I felt the same way I volunteered the entire day.  I was able to help the first racer and the very last racer that day.  It was very inspiring.   

I do have two questions already about next year.  For the ones that just went through it or have gone through it.  For the Hotels most of them are 5 day minimum did you decide to get there early and leave the day after or did you come later and then end up staying a day or two later.  I wasn’t sure if there was any benefit of getting there early for doing some recon work about the course or did you just take it easy while you were there.  For those that did the Tri camps in LP, did you find them beneficial? 

I'm a bit of a lurker here, but I can help answer your questions.

I didn't decide I wanted to do my first IM, IMLP, until October, so by that time, even the foundation slots were sold out. I found out that Carmichael was offering a package, so I signed up with them.

Then, I started calling hotels in the area. When I rang Art Devlin's, the first on my list, they told me they just had a cancellation, so I put down the $195/night with a 5 night minimum. I got there on Thursday evening, and left Tuesday morning. I probably could have been ok with just four days, but one day extra wasn't too much of an issue. I think I'd do the same the next time.

The CTS camp gave me a loop of the course, and for that, it's worth it -- but you could probably also do it on your own. I didn't do more recon when I got there -- I found I was busy enough, registering, prepping equipment, making sure I was getting enough sleep and food and getting myself into the correct schedule so I'd start the race right.  There are also enough DVDs and text documents on the course out there, so I just used those to jog my memory. You'll also get a taste driving into town.

Knowing the course is pretty important for this race. The elevation changes are substantial, and you'll be doing a lot of shifting if you're doing it right. It's also a long race, so it's psychologically taxing. It's helpful to know what's around the next bend, so you're not hammering and then find yourself facing a steep hill.

CTS was pricey, but the inclusion of the race entry softened the blow. The coach/mechanic to athlete ratio was excellent, and I did get a lot from their guidance, though I'm a novice in a lot of areas. If I didn't need their registration, I probably wouldn't have joined their camp, even though it was a good experience. However, I might not have raced as wisely either.

I also met a lot of cool people, including one guy who KQ'd on his first attempt, so it was nice to have familiar faces at the race. The CTS coaches gave me good advice on the aforementioned shifting, and nutrition and hydration. One of their coaches suggested I seed myself instead of swimming wide though, and I really regret that! My swim splits were 55:00 and 33:00. I swam wide on the second loop.

It's probably not fair to blame the advice though. I'll never get to Kona by swimming wide, and it's my fault for not being able to feel what's a slow pace and what's a fast one.

I finished comfortably in 13:40. I didn't want to blow up, but I definitely have a faster time in me.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Acee 2011-07-31 3:26 PM

2011-07-31 4:05 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hi All Sorry this took so long - peewee got me the photos las night but I have only just got the chance to get in front of a real computer. Here you go:

Lake Placid Group Shot

Lake Placid Group Shot

Lake Placid Group Shot

You should be able to click on each photo - that will send you to a full-sized version you can download.

2011-07-31 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3622622

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
Thanks for uploading that TankBoy.  Once you click on the picture it lets you zoom in.  That must have been a pretty nice camera.  The detail when zoomed in is very clear.
2011-07-31 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3622622

Veteran
Vicksburg
Thanks for posting up Rusty.
2011-07-31 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
Good lookin' group right there.
2011-08-01 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3622952

User image

Regular

Hello

Great to read all the posts and see some photos.  I never got to LP on Fri till 11am so missed all those who went for a swim.  After the race i kicked back in Lake Fern with friends and have accomplished the task of refueling my body with food and beer.  Many 46ers.  I did not have the desire to hit up the brewery as planned.

Looking forward to reading some race reprots.  I had a mini disaster, left my bike helmet in the car so T1 was 28.52 :-(  I was near tears but a volunteer kindly got me his from a condo nearby.  What a fool.  My knee felt great on the run but i had to walk the ups/downs.  Tape and rest got me through.  Still, i managed to get my sub 12hr time in and looking forward to improving near year.  Only 51 weeks to go...

And who on this thread bought all the finisher stuff up.  When i arrived at 12pm on Monday where was very little left.  I only really wanted an IM running cap, and i`ll wear it with pride this lunch time.

Well done all...   What a great adventure.

Chris

2011-08-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3623501

User image

Grant, MI

blackchr05 - Looking forward to reading some race reprots.  I had a mini disaster, left my bike helmet in the car so T1 was 28.52 :-(  I was near tears but a volunteer kindly got me his from a condo nearby.  What a fool.  My knee felt great on the run but i had to walk the ups/downs.  Tape and rest got me through.  Still, i managed to get my sub 12hr time in and looking forward to improving near year.  Only 51 weeks to go...

Oh no - was that you w/o the helmet? When I was in T1, volunteers were desperately looking for an additional helmet.  I gave them the address of the house we were staying at and told them they were welcome to an extra one that we had.  The only problem was that it had been left in my son's car (Corner of Division), who knew where the car keys were, and he was already out on the course somewhere, complicating the ability to access it.  They took the address in case they didn't come up with another option.  I'm glad the volunteer came through, cause it would have taken some searching to come up with the car keys.  I imagine you had extra adrenaline being produced while stressing out over a helmet.   It is amazing that you still had a sub 12 time with this complication.  Great job!

We also found all the post race stuff gone.  We went down later as well and did not find anything left to buy.  We had the opportunity to get in line early, as we went to pick up our special needs bags at 06:00, when there was only a couple of people in line - but we did not feel like waiting in line.  Oh well - I guess we spent enough on this thing, even w/o finishing merchandise.

2011-08-01 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3623940

User image

Veteran
Boston

Ok, finally got around to posting my LONG race report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=263187

Thanks again to all the support here!  Looking forward to getting some more experience under my belt, ramping up my run with a few half marathons and hopefully some full distance ones, then coming back with a vengeance the next run around!

It was a pleasure of meeting all of you there!  I reposted the group shot since it came out so great.

Brett

2011-08-02 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3623940

User image

Regular

I beleive there was another muppet who forgot their helmet too.  So at least i was not alone :-)

How did you get up at 6am for the SN bags?  I left all my stinky stuff in there.  Other than Gui and Cliff bars, the volunteers got a couple nice long valve bike tubes.....

2011-08-02 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3625562

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
blackchr05 - 2011-08-02 1:14 PM

I beleive there was another muppet who forgot their helmet too.  So at least i was not alone :-)

How did you get up at 6am for the SN bags?  I left all my stinky stuff in there.  Other than Gui and Cliff bars, the volunteers got a couple nice long valve bike tubes.....

I happened to drive by the SN area a couple of times Monday morning. My wife wanted to stop and trash pick but I just couldn't do it. Normally I have no problems with trash picking and I guess most of the stuff was abandoned, but I still felt like it was not quite trash until after 12:00 as was announced at the Friday night dinner. I figure there were plenty of tubes, C02, and socks. Oh, and PB&J sandwiches.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112