Boulder, CO
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 29s
Overall Rank = 379/1408
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 64/163
Pre-race routine:

Let me just start by saying, this race really snuck up on me. It's worthy of "A Race" status, but my focus is really on IMFL now. This HAS to just be a training race. That said, I missed part of the pre-race meeting on Saturday, didn't review the maps or the aid station placement, and didn't get any of my race stuff ready until 4am Sunday morning. Let's just say, this is not the way most triathletes would be comfortable going to a race! LOL! But, it would be good for them to try it - go with the flow - and just see what happens! During the drive I actually thought about what I would do if I got stuck behind an accident or something - and what's the worst that could happen? I go back home and get some more sleep! That attitude made the race easier, and more fun!
So, my actual pre-race = arrive with 30 seconds to spare! LOL!
Event warmup:

Trot to the loo, trot to the lake, start the race!
I was REALLY dragging early in the morning. I couldn't eat my breakfast and my stomach felt TERRIBLE. But, that one trip to porta-oh-now-I-feel-much-better-john changed the whole day. Whew!
Swim
  • 30m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Still can't get the hang of drafting. Everytime I get on some guy's toes - it turns out he's the poorest navigator in the water!!!
What would you do differently?:

Go out stronger, perhaps. Although the theme of the day was "go out easy, and pick it up along the way" (like Lance does his time trials).
OK, I would NOT go out stronger, but should pick it up more and earlier.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I leave the shoes in the pedals and jump on the bike while running out of transition. That seems to be so easy I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't do it.

I paused in transition to try and think "am I forgetting anything?" As I was running out of my aisle, I realized that I forgot to put on my socks. I stopped running for just a second and thought about going back. Of course, I KNOW that I don't need socks to ride, but to run. I would just put them on in T2 instead.
I lost 2 minutes to my buddy Markdills38 in combined transitions. He's the FASTEST guy I've seen in transition - and so he's my role model. I have a ways to go to get that fast.
Next time I'll take a REALLY COLD gatorade in my jersey to chug and toss in the first few miles. That would leave me with two full bottles on the bike and my aero bottle.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 18s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my RACE FOCUS for the day. MANAGE THE PACE!!! So, I kept it turned down one notch for the day and I only averaged 20. I felt so good throughout the whole race, that I must have turned it down too far! LOL!
My second race focus is also on the bike - FUEL THE MACHINE!! That also went well. However, at the top of old stage (the big ass hill) the gatorade was HOT! Yuck! and by mile 20 I was feeling pretty bloated. I took another quart of water and made sure I got down most of my perpetuem (to get me through the run).
I must have needed the plain water, because as I left T2 I thought I should have made a quick pit stop (a good sign!)
Gels - had a shot at 45min and at 1:15.

With two weeks until my next HIM, I'll try a couple of longer bricks to try to get the bike speed dialed in.
2 mph on the bike (at this distance) is worth about 7.5 minutes. If I slowed up a minute a mile on the run (due to fatigue) it would be almost a wash on the clock, but much more difficult!
If, on the other hand, I had the energy to ride 2mph faster, and keep my same run time (and knock a minute out of transition) I would have finished in 39th place. Hmmmm. that should motivate me on those long bricks!
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Now I had to sit and put on my socks. I got blisters on my arch during the sprint on this same hot, dusty course (only half of today's run!). 20 seconds in transition is a cheap price for uninjured feet!!
I also forgot to get out my running hat, so I had to dig in my pack.
I'm really lucky that I was able to find my spot in both Ts, since I never looked back or noted where I was when I set up. Doh! The worst part of being late! Funny though, I went straight to my stuff each time. (good instincts I guess!)

In this race, both Ts were pretty fast. My slow down is thinking. I could just feel myself realizing that I don't have to rethink the plan in T anymore. I now know what I need on each leg, and that's it. Just freakin go. My Ts in two weeks will be half this long.
Run
  • 49m 44s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably should have taken a gel by the turnaround. But, now that I think about it, I was feeling the Perpetuem, and it upset my stomach a bit. (left the tums in the bento box on the bike).
I couldn't imagine I was running sub-8 miles, and assumed the mile markers were out of position. This actually made me slow up a bit because I was worried that an "extra long" mile was coming. By the time I got to the last hill I didn't care about the signs and just wanted to run fast, but the heat was starting to suck the power out of my legs!
This run revived my belief in LSD runs. Wow, that run wasn't just fast (for me), but amazingly comfortable!

My run training has been inconsistent over recent months. Since I don't know my own body/abilities well, I don't have a feel for how to measure out the speed or power.
Need more LSD and bricks to hone the feel.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched a little, ate, and had a lovely massage! Ahhh the extra benes of being in swim wave 2 of 12. Even though many of those starting later would eventually beat my time, they still finished after I'd already enjoyed the massage tent! I love getting in before the crowds!
I stayed for almost 3 hours and saw the pros finish and all the other BTers (as far as I know!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still learning, but this was my BEST RACE ever. Maybe not fastest, but best at managing the race and making smart decisions.

Event comments:

This race deserves its reputation as one of the best around - it's really well done. That said, it's been cheapened by a couple of stupid shortcomings:
The 5430 Corp. is always cheap on post race food. It's really a huge disappointment after such a wonderful race. I'd be happy to pay a few more bucks if they could just get more real food!
And, what the heck happened to the "COLD" drinks at aid stations? HOT gatorade on aid #1 really SUCKED!! There were full bottles in the ditch after people realized how hot the drinks were.
Lastly, some racers may have been unlucky, but I usually see some stupid ones too. I hope none died in this race, but I heard there were some serious accidents.

Last updated: 2005-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/163
Overall: 541/1408
Performance: Good
Good swim.
Suit: Full
Course: Out, across the back side, and back in. The backside seemed to take forever! Tried to really pick up the pace toward the end. The last 200 was almost all out. I'm starting to get the hang of "racing" instead of surviving the distance.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:18 | 26.1 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 66/163
Overall: 357/1408
On mile six my pace was between 6-8 mph and my HR was 165-171!
Wind: None
Course: First 5 miles are moederate uphill. Mile 6 is SERIOUS uphill. Miles 7-8 are mostly downhill with a couple of uncomfortable uphill sections. Mile nine starts with a short uphill then moves out to the plains for the flat to rolling remaining miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:44 | 06.2 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 68/163
Overall: 405/1408
yeah! way faster than I expected!! Here's the miles (some of the diff is due to me forgetting the button for a few seconds) 1. 7:17 2. 8:06 3. 8:29 4. 7:05 5. 8:28 6. 8:23 HR was mostly 160 +/- 3, then above 165 for the last 10 min. This is interesting because miles 5 & 6 were two of my slowest. I think this is where the effect of the heat becomes apparent, or I started to get dehydrated and run out of gas a bit.
Course: Out and back on the dams and along the canal. No shade and very bright, reflective, light-colored gravel. I think it was so bright that it made it hotter (or at least seem that way).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-25 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: Boulder Peak

2005-07-25 12:37 PM
in reply to: #206444

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak

Brett you had an amazing race!    Very fast.  I fully expect you to finish LONG before I do for the 1/2 IM, so I want to see you cheering the rest of us poor souls on! 

I'm glad to see all of you saying that it was hard to find your rack.....the 4 bike racks are harder to find, but I'll know what I need to do for the 1/2 b/c of all of you!

2005-07-25 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Congrats on a great race!! You were fast, and it sounds like you were pretty comfortable with all three disciplines.  Nice!

Starting at the beginning and being fast sound like a great combo if it means making it to the massage tent before everyone else.  I've never gotten a massage after a race because I always finish with the masses

2005-07-25 12:50 PM

Veteran
Alabama

Congrats on a GREAT RACE! You were smokin'!! Yep, I'm a firm believer in the socks for the run!!

Again, nicely done.

K

2005-07-25 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
You did so great, Brett! Maybe I should take such a nonchalant attitude to my races! At this pace you will be well-prepared for IMFL.
2005-07-25 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Awesome race my friend!  Now you just got to find a comfortable rhythm for your 1/2!  Sounds like you're well on your way.

2005-07-25 3:36 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
2:42 is an awesome race finish!   Well done.  I chucked my hot gatorade and told them it was hot.  That sucked.  The food was a bit meek as well. Very dissapointing.  Great race, I wish I know where you were and I would have drafted, I had no one the whole swim.  Glad it went well for you!
2005-07-25 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

B-man,As usual you were fast and furious. Great race. Yes the post race food did suck. I thought it was just the late-comers like me but from your RR report and others looked like it sucked for the fast ones too!

So glad to see you at the finish man. That was awesome. You rock. O.

2005-07-26 12:14 PM

User image

Buttercup

Great race report! Your times are looking very impressive. Way to go!

Are you going to get some ocean water swim in before IMFL?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Rss Feed