General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tris and banned iPods? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-09-28 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3121936

Subject: RE: Tris and banned iPods?
It is a rule. If you don't like it, you don't have to do the race. Your choice.

2010-09-28 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3122294

User image

Regular
browncd - 2010-09-28 1:07 PM It is a rule. If you don't like it, you don't have to do the race. Your choice.

Yes, I understand that it is a rule...I was only posting because I was wondering the reason behind the rule.  Now I know---the safety factor with runners.
2010-09-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3122292

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-28 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3121970

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Scout7 - 2010-09-29 8:14 AM They are banned in USATF-sanctioned races (or they were, they keep changing their rules). The reason USATF bans them is because they ban all audio receiving/sending equipment for participants, because they are considered outside assistance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I see Chris Leito text message on the run at Kona IM ?
2010-09-28 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3122412

Runner
metafizx - 2010-09-28 4:51 PM

Scout7 - 2010-09-29 8:14 AM They are banned in USATF-sanctioned races (or they were, they keep changing their rules). The reason USATF bans them is because they ban all audio receiving/sending equipment for participants, because they are considered outside assistance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I see Chris Leito text message on the run at Kona IM ?

Pretty sure that Kona (and all IMs) are not USATF-sanctioned events. USAT, yes.

And in my simple opinion, I think texting while running is risky anyway, and phones should DEFINITELY be banned from use during races.
2010-09-28 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3122209

Champion
Northridge, California
3leftys - 2010-09-28 12:35 PM I am also a convert. I used to use my Ipod for all of my road races & then one day at a HM I left mine at home..I actually enjoyed myself.  Its really not so bad in races because you have so much going on around you.  

...which, of course, points to the larger issue that a lot of people fail to get:

These are races, not solitary training opportunities.

They really aren't ultimately staged for bucket-list or weight-loss convenience...they are actually contests where you are SHARING the course (and the larger experience) with hundreds--if not tens of thousands--of other people, all of whom are actually worthy of your attention.  If the race experience doesn't line up with your expectations...well, ultimately that's on you for developing those expectations, not on the race director, the sanctioning body, or anyone else who's not playing along.

As Scout (typically correctly) said already, you don't "need" your Ipod.  You just want it.  You've come to rely on it as a distraction from all the reasons you don't want to be running.  (Believe me, I know...I go through this with my wife all the time...don't get me started about her meltdown in the car the time she forgot her Ipod when we drove to the ocean for a swim/long-run brick.  Yes, she got through her 14 mile run just fine without it.)

Want to run bad enough--beyond just tolerating it as a means to some end or other--and you'll get through your race without an Ipod better than you might imagine and without tuning out the input (and occasional emergency directives) coming from your fellow participants, officials, volunteers, the environment...and your own heart, lungs, and more.

Edited by tcovert 2010-09-28 4:09 PM

2010-09-28 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3122412

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis

metafizx - 2010-09-28 3:51 PM

And "I" also made lots of Facebook updates while doing IMWI... Well, my gf did using my iphone

I can guarantee you that texting was the last thing on CL's mind during that run... lol

Cheers, Chris

Edited by Hydro 2010-09-28 4:10 PM
2010-09-28 4:22 PM

Master
Sedona, AZ
I have no issue with people who listen to music while training. I listen to my MP3 player (no iPod here, and I don't know who Justin Beiber is...) while running and think it makes the run go by more quickly. I can understand why some people don't listen to one, and that's their decision.

I have listened to in during a 5K and would happily do so in other running races. I don't think it's that distracting. I can't see using one during a Tri because I wouldn't want to hassle with it in transition or during the run. I've never missed having one in a race though - too much other stuff going on.
2010-09-28 4:22 PM

Master
Midlothian, VA
Races are different then training for sure.

I can hardly stand to swim in the pool without my tunes.  When I bought my Interval my swim workouts about doubled overnight.  If that battery dies on me it really sours my day.

I usually bike and run with an iPod too.  On the bike I only use an earbud opposite the side of traffic, and the volume is typically pretty low.  Just enough to block out the onslaught of thought that can hit me when my mind wanders too much....

Today I went for a 5k run, and I WISH I had taken one with me. (I did a short bike to warm up and did a brick so I didn't mess with the tunes.)  Thump thump thump and heavy breathing....who wants to listen to that?!?  I could almost hear my left knee complaining?

But I've yet to miss the tunes in a race.  2 Sprints and 2 Olys so far. Way too much going on to get bored. There's other athletes to watch, spectators to react to, scenery to check out and so on.

-eric
2010-09-28 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3122447

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Great post.

tcovert - 2010-09-28 5:07 PM
3leftys - 2010-09-28 12:35 PM I am also a convert. I used to use my Ipod for all of my road races & then one day at a HM I left mine at home..I actually enjoyed myself.  Its really not so bad in races because you have so much going on around you.  

...which, of course, points to the larger issue that a lot of people fail to get:

These are races, not solitary training opportunities.

They really aren't ultimately staged for bucket-list or weight-loss convenience...they are actually contests where you are SHARING the course (and the larger experience) with hundreds--if not tens of thousands--of other people, all of whom are actually worthy of your attention.  If the race experience doesn't line up with your expectations...well, ultimately that's on you for developing those expectations, not on the race director, the sanctioning body, or anyone else who's not playing along.

As Scout (typically correctly) said already, you don't "need" your Ipod.  You just want it.  You've come to rely on it as a distraction from all the reasons you don't want to be running.  (Believe me, I know...I go through this with my wife all the time...don't get me started about her meltdown in the car the time she forgot her Ipod when we drove to the ocean for a swim/long-run brick.  Yes, she got through her 14 mile run just fine without it.)

Want to run bad enough--beyond just tolerating it as a means to some end or other--and you'll get through your race without an Ipod better than you might imagine and without tuning out the input (and occasional emergency directives) coming from your fellow participants, officials, volunteers, the environment...and your own heart, lungs, and more.
2010-09-28 9:55 PM

Expert
Leicester
I enjoy meeting people at tri's, an I-pod screams leave me alone like nothing else.
Fair enough, but races are one of the few times the solitary animal 'triathlete in training' gets to and I think should, socialize.

2010-09-28 11:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
personally i found myself running faster without my music when I train, i rarely run with one now.. and used to run with one all the time.. only lean on it when i need motivation to get my but moving in the morning, but not that often.
2010-09-29 12:59 AM

USATF modified the rules to only ban electronic devices for the elite athletes, especially if there is any prize money involved. The rest of us loafers are allowed to wear them, at the discretion of the Race Director.

USAT rules still prohibit them.

I have mixed feelings about using music while racing. The claims are that wearing headphones make the race more dangerous to participants, yet I have never seen a single study that shows people wearing headphones while running have any more accidents than those that don't.

The claim that you can't hear sirens or people around you is a logical fallacy. After all, we don't ban deaf people from participating. Additionally, people can, and do, "zone out" during the race without headphones. I myself have experienced not only tunnel-vision, but tunnel-hearing.

That being said, I love running with my music a times, especially when I want to do an extremely challenging workout. But after 2+ years of triathlons (up to HIM) I can manage easily without the music. I won't risk a time penalty or DQ because of headphones. It just isn't worth it. It also makes the race that much more impressive if you can say you swam, biked and ran for 2 or 4 or 12 hours without your mp3 player!

Cool
2010-09-29 6:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
sugarmagnolia70 - 2010-09-28 2:02 PM I'm doing my first tri this weekend, and just found out that no iPods are allowed on the race whatsoever, even on the run (and if you're caught with headphones you'll be disqualified). 

I was just wondering why that is?  I totally get it for the bike portion; I never use an iPod when I'm biking either, the safety issues and all, but don't get it for the running part.  I know the half marathons I've run this year discourage iPod use as well, but they are not banned, and EVERYONE in the halfs were using them.  The run for the tri is only 5k, so I can certainly get by without my music (although it will be tough, I admit, because I always run to music).

I was just wondering why it's banned for the run.  Thanks!

Not really sure of the reason but headphones are banned at just about every race including 5k/10k types ive ever been in.
2010-09-29 6:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
On a side note. I often run with an iPod but I also purposely run without my ipod often.

Why?

Because you have to train like you race. Dont let it become a crutch.  If you cant have an ipod in a race you can't expect to go out the first time without one in your first race.  Nothing wrong with training with an ipod but leave it at home once in a while. Especially if you are training in a nice place. Take off the head phones, look around, observe what is going on around you.  You miss a lot in your own little world sometimes. 

One of the places I run is a protected reservoir. ON a run you can hear birds chirping, water running and just take in everything around you.  It amazes me to see people in this area with headphones.

Edited by Grnfsh 2010-09-29 6:25 AM
2010-09-29 6:45 AM

Regular
Raleigh
I'm another convert away from the iPod (except occasionally on a long trainer work out).

I used to wear it for training runs but, quite frankly, it got annoying for me.  I'm lucky that I get to run in a nice rural area - you'd be amazed at what you can hear on an early morning run.  Like one of the posters above, I also have a hunch that I run faster without it - somehow I just feel more in tune with myself when I don't have music pumping.  I also find myself thinking more clearly (whether it's about the workout or something completely unrelated).  Maybe I'm getting old, but I enjoy the peace and quiet when I'm out on my own.

As for races, why would you want it?  hearing the spectators and fellow competitors is part of the joy!

2010-09-29 7:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
I do all my training with music and hate it when I forget it, but I have never missed it in a race. There is just so much going on I don't even think about it.
2010-09-29 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3123230

Champion
PA
cpsdad - 2010-09-29 8:31 AM I do all my training with music and hate it when I forget it, but I have never missed it in a race. There is just so much going on I don't even think about it.

I flip back and forth.  For me, the change up is typically a good thing. 

..and those of you trying to say things to make you look too cool for Justin Bieber are all in denial!

2010-09-29 8:14 AM

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Just got done with this discussion on a conference call yesterday so I will recap (from the USAT point of view):

The official rule is:

3.4i:  Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

Note that this rule is not just limited to music or headphones.  It is about music, headphones, Personal Audio Devices and anything that may be deemed dangerous by the Head Referee.

The reasons for this rule are threefold:

1.  While some people may set their earbuds to a nominal level, not everyone does.  I have gone by people on the street wearing headphones turned up so loud that I can hear what they are listening to.  USAT officials cannot spend the time to check everyones volume.  Loud volumes are unsafe for many of the reasons already specified.  Emergencies, important warnings of upcoming hazards, not being aware of the person behind you and stepping in their way just as they are about to pass, stopping to fiddle with the volume or change the song, communication at water stations and, on courses that are open to traffic, knowing that there is a vehicle behind you.  There is not a lot of enforcement that can be done about "tunnelvision" as it is in the mind, but this can be controlled, so it is. 

2.  As the OP stated in one of the posts, she can select her playlists.  This is certainly a way of pacig.  You can easily search on the internet for BPMs of songs (sites for DJs have them listed by BPM).  You could then set a "soundtrack" for your race, with the BPM slowly building so you are controlling your pace the entire time by following the beat with your footfalls.  I would agree that you have to have the ability to run at 140 BPM to follow it that high, but many can.  It is an aid. 

3.  Audio devices have gotten so advanced that there are now functions telling you your pace and time.  Not everyone has these.  If they were allowed, there would be an advantage gained by the person using the spoken pace and time vs. the person that has to look at his/her watch and do the math in their head.  They would also be limited to knowing the distance run by looking at a GPS or Mile Marker sign, while items like the Nike + let you know when you have lost focus and slow down. 

Rules must be written for the lowest common denominator, meaning that if someone COULD do it, then nobody can be allowed to do it. 

Note that this rule does not just apply to headphones.  You are not allowed to carry your ipod with an externall speaker (like the new Nano) and just let it play outloud (or your smartphone). 

You are allowed, however, to sing if you really need the music to get you through. 
2010-09-29 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3123326

Lafayette, CO
jdwright56 - 2010-09-29 7:14 AM Just got done with this discussion on a conference call yesterday so I will recap (from the USAT point of view):

The official rule is:

3.4i:  Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

Note that this rule is not just limited to music or headphones.  It is about music, headphones, Personal Audio Devices and anything that may be deemed dangerous by the Head Referee.

3.  Audio devices have gotten so advanced that there are now functions telling you your pace and time.  Not everyone has these.  If they were allowed, there would be an advantage gained by the person using the spoken pace and time vs. the person that has to look at his/her watch and do the math in their head.  They would also be limited to knowing the distance run by looking at a GPS or Mile Marker sign, while items like the Nike + let you know when you have lost focus and slow down. 

Rules must be written for the lowest common denominator, meaning that if someone COULD do it, then nobody can be allowed to do it. 

Note that this rule does not just apply to headphones.  You are not allowed to carry your ipod with an externall speaker (like the new Nano) and just let it play outloud (or your smartphone). 

You are allowed, however, to sing if you really need the music to get you through. 

While I don't disagree with the rule regarding music for tris I do disagree that it has anything to do with it telling you your pace.  My Garmin 305 can tell me my pace AND it will beep at me if I set it up that way to tell me I'm too slow or too fast.  What I do agree with is the cadence assistance that those who run by the cadence of their music gets over those that would garner that benefit but follow the rules.

Personally I run with my Nano much of the time (although usually listen to NPR rather than music) BUT I specifically leave it at home on occasion to make sure I can run without it.  I haven't decided what to do for my upcoming HM.  I will probably bring it but only turn it on if I really feel like I need to.  I'm not racing anyone just there to get through and I will most definitely be at the BOP. 
2010-09-29 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3123339

Runner
I say Garmins should be banned, too.
Honest.

I'll let you keep your watch, though.

2010-09-29 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3123366

Lafayette, CO
Scout7 - 2010-09-29 7:33 AM I say Garmins should be banned, too. Honest. I'll let you keep your watch, though.

On a totally personal level I'd be upset by this.  On a general if we're going to disallow things that help a person with pacing beyond a clock and a mile marker then I can't disagree.  But, if you're going to go to that based on pacing assistance then why not go so far as to not have any watches/clocks/mile markers other than the finish?  Where do you draw the line?  It's not an easy question. 
2010-09-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3123422

Runner
COSkiGirl - 2010-09-29 9:49 AM

Scout7 - 2010-09-29 7:33 AM I say Garmins should be banned, too. Honest. I'll let you keep your watch, though.

On a totally personal level I'd be upset by this.  On a general if we're going to disallow things that help a person with pacing beyond a clock and a mile marker then I can't disagree.  But, if you're going to go to that based on pacing assistance then why not go so far as to not have any watches/clocks/mile markers other than the finish?  Where do you draw the line?  It's not an easy question. 

Watches in and of themselves do not help you with pacing. You have to know how far along you are. And that is public knowledge provided to everyone on the course. Same thing with on-course timekeeping; it is publicly available to everyone racing. Therefore it is not limited to a select few.

Garmins, Nike +, etc. are all ways of giving an advantage to an individual, and potentially un-leveling the playing field.

Plus, it irritates me to have to listen to someone's device beep incessantly.

Edited by Scout7 2010-09-29 8:55 AM
2010-09-29 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3123266

New user
Everyone does know that Justin Bieber was arrested the other day right?

http://www.theonion.com/video/justin-bieber-found-to-be-cleverly-di...

2010-09-29 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3123326

Champion
PA
jdwright56 - 2010-09-29 9:14 AM Just got done with this discussion on a conference call yesterday so I will recap (from the USAT point of view):

Exactly!  This is why I am going to spin off the Rick Roll into a Live Rick Run!  If you pass me, and you will, I will chase you singing, "Neva gonna give you up!! Neva gonna let you down..."
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tris and banned iPods? Rss Feed  

of 4