General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MY "first" HIM and a trip to the ER Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-18 7:25 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: MY "first" HIM and a trip to the ER
MY wife and my first HIM (Atlantic Coast Tri in Amelia Island, FL) did not go as planned. We both made it out of the swim in good time and I was holding a 20.2 mph avg thru mile 50.  As I approached the mile 50 water stop a truck passed me and then he noticed the water stop (lots of people/bikes) and slammed on the brakes.  I was down in aeo and had no time to react. 

I *think* I tried to swerve and caught my wheel.  I slammed into the back of the truck going about 20+.  I woke up several mins later as paramedics were putting me on the gurney.  I had no memory of what had happened (it later came back to me in bits and pieces in the ER).  A 45 min ride to the ER in Jax later and I'm getting a CAT scan.  They confirmed, nothing in my head   The worst part was I starting cramping up on the ER gurney but they would not let me move due to the possible neck/head injury.

Cherry (my wife) finished the bike (she never saw the ambulance) and was told after that I was in the ER.  So of course she abandoned the race (which made me feel even worse) and came to the ER.

All in all it could have been a LOT worse.  A very sore back and neck.  Kind of dizzy and a constant headache (the back of my helmet was crushed in)  Banged up elbow, couple of scrapes and some majorly wounded pride.  But I'll live to fight another day.

I think I'm in the anger phase right now however.  I did not want to be "that guy".  You know.  "Did you hear a guy got taken to the ER?"  6 months of work and a DNF.  I know we could have finished but it's not official.

And now we need to find a half in early spring before CdA in June.

There were several close calls with cars and I can promise my future selection of races will weigh a "closed course' very heavily.

Edited by TriRSquared 2010-10-18 7:27 AM

2010-10-18 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3157365

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: MY "first" HIM and a trip to the ER
Wow.  Glad you're OK.
2010-10-18 7:41 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Glad you are okay!  But the important question is: How is your bike?  (J/K)
2010-10-18 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Sorry 'bout your crash, but glad you're (basically) OK.
Understand your desire for a 'closed course', but remember very few are totally closed.  Even then you must stay alert for vehicles that ignore traffic controls & somehow get onto the course.  At an Oly I did this Summer an idiot driver jumped onto the 'closed' course & crashed a cyclist  (driver wasn't even ticketed-GRRRRRR!!!). 

Remember your 6 mo of work are NOT lost but have added to your skills (swim, bike handling, etc.) & fitness base.

Good Luck for CdA!!!
2010-10-18 7:44 AM

User image

Master
That sucks, that is my worst fear, slamming into a car.
I am glad you had no serious injuries. Take care of yourself and the fitness benefits from your training will pay off down the road. 
2010-10-18 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
PA
Wow!  Very sorry for your accident but as others stated, I'm glad you are OK. 

IIRC, you are a clyde so you probably gave the driver of the truck a good case of whiplash.  Laughing

2010-10-18 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Dang that is horrible... sorry for your accident, but I'm very glad you made it out in one piece.
2010-10-18 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Um, it's OK being "that guy"... as long as you are safe and sound without any broken bones.

Sucks you couldn't finish though. Glad you are OK!
2010-10-18 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Thanks guys.  I'm kind of hoping my head left a dent in his tailgate

Bike looks OK considering.  Front wheel is bent but other than that no visible damage.  Will take it to the shop.

Wife and I determined we both could have walked the run and still made it well under the cutoff, so in a way that's a win.  I was going to avg 20.2 for the bike which is FAR better than I had ever hoped.

I've raced plenty of open courses and I know the dangers.  But on this stretch of road it was car after car whizzing by.  And the road conditions were not great (drop offs and junk in the road).  Made it very frustrating.

The worst part is not having 100% recollection of the event.  I've never been knocked out before.  It's a very helpless feeling waking up and wondering why you are in an ambulance.
2010-10-18 9:17 AM

User image

NH
Wow, glad you're ok.  Keep paying attention to your body over the coming days since sometimes it can be a few days/weeks until all the injuries of such a serious crash manifest. 

Again, glad you didn't have anything really serious and absolutely don't worry about  being "that guy".  We're just glad you're "that alive and mostly ok guy" after all the stuff we've read about recently.
2010-10-18 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3157527

User image

Champion
PA
TriRSquared - 2010-10-18 9:27 AM Thanks guys.  I'm kind of hoping my head left a dent in his tailgate

Bike looks OK considering.  Front wheel is bent but other than that no visible damage.  Will take it to the shop.

Wife and I determined we both could have walked the run and still made it well under the cutoff, so in a way that's a win.  I was going to avg 20.2 for the bike which is FAR better than I had ever hoped.

I've raced plenty of open courses and I know the dangers.  But on this stretch of road it was car after car whizzing by.  And the road conditions were not great (drop offs and junk in the road).  Made it very frustrating.

The worst part is not having 100% recollection of the event.  I've never been knocked out before.  It's a very helpless feeling waking up and wondering why you are in an ambulance.

Let me guess, this was the inagural "J.W. Bobbit Tri?"

2010-10-18 9:34 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Oh no! I am so sorry! I am glad you weren't hurt worse, and all the best wishes for a speedy recovery.
2010-10-18 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Sorry about your accident in your A race...glad you are mostly okay...scary stuff~

No need to do a HIM before IM. I agree with what others have said your fitness is there with all your training just didn't get to see how it worked out in a race and it will help you for your IM next June.

Sounds like a concussion so hopefully the ER docs warned you about dangers of getting another so you need to allow your head to heal. In my bike crash hit a metal street sign going little faster than you did I didn't get back memories of what happened and glad for it.
2010-10-18 9:44 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Look at it this way...you've gotten that first DNF out of the way so you're in good shape for CdA next summer. 
2010-10-18 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
sorry about the accident.  glad you are ok!  surprised you don't have any broken bones going that fast.  you're right...could have been worse.
2010-10-18 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you are ok!

2010-10-18 11:20 AM

User image

Pro

Heal well.  Just think of the great story you'll have.
and, as the years go on, your bike speed average will climb (uh, it was 24.6mph wasn't it), you were vying for that age group podium and coming down a hill at 48mph when the semi cut in front of you. 

embellish as necessary....

oh- and ask the RD for a free entry next year!

2010-10-18 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

Holy cow, that was you? I came by about four or five minutes after the crash, before any of the emergency vehicles had arrived. I had to bunny-hop up the new pavement into the oncoming lane to get by the small crowd that had gathered around. I talked to a person who was coming over the bridge and saw the crash. She said the truck went around you and slammed on the brakes (maybe because another cyclist had swerved in front, hard to see). She said you tried to squeeze between the curb and the truck, but there wasn't enough room and you did an endo into the rear wheel. I talked to another guy who came by about two minutes after that and he said you were conscious, but by the time I went by it looked as though you were out.

I have to admit that section with the road construction had me on edge (squeezing between 55+mph cars and the pavement/curb ledges). It's too bad, as the rest of the course was just about perfect. Most of the drivers were very nice and moved over or slowed down. But there were a few in the absolutely ridiculous category. When the ambulance was going by me headed in your direction (opposite of the way we were traveling) I was just behind a guy in a BMW who, instead of pulling over to yield like you're supposed to, decided to pass the next cyclist and make the ambulance have to hit the brakes (and the horn...man those are loud when you're that close).

Glad to hear you're OK. I'm looking for a nice early-season half next year too. Let me know if you find anything interesting & within driving distance.

2010-10-18 3:10 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
So sorry to hear that!  I'm glad you are ok!!
2010-10-18 3:14 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Wow, scary.  Glad your ok.  And I am glad the news got to your wife.  I am sure she'd much rather be with you then finishing the race.

2010-10-18 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Oh man!!! That sucks! Glad to hear that you're okay. At least for the DNF you've got an awesome story. It tells way better than "I got a flat..."

Hope whatever road rash you got heals up fast and there's nothing ongoing from the head/neck pain.

2010-10-18 3:20 PM

Master
, California
I can promise my future selection of races will weigh a "closed course' very heavily

Not sure what's in your area, but take a look around for triathlons that are held on military bases.  The troops are well organized as you'd expect, and they own the roads on base.  So they shut em down and they are by far the safest bike courses I've been on.

CdA is a partially closed course, and the area that's open doesn't have much traffic.  But you still need to be on guard at all times.

Glad you're ok.
2010-10-18 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3158705

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Meerkat Surprise - 2010-10-18 4:04 PM

Holy cow, that was you? I came by about four or five minutes after the crash, before any of the emergency vehicles had arrived. I had to bunny-hop up the new pavement into the oncoming lane to get by the small crowd that had gathered around. I talked to a person who was coming over the bridge and saw the crash. She said the truck went around you and slammed on the brakes (maybe because another cyclist had swerved in front, hard to see). She said you tried to squeeze between the curb and the truck, but there wasn't enough room and you did an endo into the rear wheel. I talked to another guy who came by about two minutes after that and he said you were conscious, but by the time I went by it looked as though you were out.

I have to admit that section with the road construction had me on edge (squeezing between 55+mph cars and the pavement/curb ledges). It's too bad, as the rest of the course was just about perfect. Most of the drivers were very nice and moved over or slowed down. But there were a few in the absolutely ridiculous category. When the ambulance was going by me headed in your direction (opposite of the way we were traveling) I was just behind a guy in a BMW who, instead of pulling over to yield like you're supposed to, decided to pass the next cyclist and make the ambulance have to hit the brakes (and the horn...man those are loud when you're that close).

Glad to hear you're OK. I'm looking for a nice early-season half next year too. Let me know if you find anything interesting & within driving distance.

Well I may need your testimony if things get to that point.  Not sure if I'm going to do anything about it but I really feel that driver was the cause of the accident.  The pavement there was bad, I do remember that.

Nice to know what happened. Thanks for the info.

Yeah it seemed like all the a-holes were on that section of A1A south of the traffic circles.  Had 2-3 buzz by me way too close.

Hope you had a good race.
2010-10-18 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3158926

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
TriRSquared - 2010-10-18 4:34 PM

Well I may need your testimony if things get to that point.  Not sure if I'm going to do anything about it but I really feel that driver was the cause of the accident.  The pavement there was bad, I do remember that.

Yeah it seemed like all the a-holes were on that section of A1A south of the traffic circles.  Had 2-3 buzz by me way too close.

Not sure if his testimony can help you. He didn't see your wreck, just "heard what happened" form a woman on the course. Second hand info.
Glad you're alright, good luck form here on on out!!!
2010-10-18 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3159071

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
ditchdoc - 2010-10-18 7:07 PM
TriRSquared - 2010-10-18 4:34 PM

Not sure if his testimony can help you. He didn't see your wreck, just "heard what happened" form a woman on the course. Second hand info.
Glad you're alright, good luck form here on on out!!!

Correct, mean to say might need help getting in touch with the woman who saw it.  Gimme a break, I have a concussion
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MY "first" HIM and a trip to the ER Rss Feed  

of 2