View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Henderson, Nevada
United States
Total Time = 7h 40m 57s
Overall Rank = 97F/149F
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/30
Pre-race routine:

I really enjoyed hanging with the BT crew race before this race. Everything from Dean's consternation at his missing computer to Lisa's jitters was great. I really enjoyed having everyone around.
Swim
  • 46m 10s
  • 2100 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were a lot of rhinos out there in the water. Man, I got smacked up the head, across the back, and body-checked a number of times. I tried my best to draft, but as soon as I caught a jet stream to draft off of, I'd get pinched out of position. With such a narrow lake as we were swimming in though, I'd imagine there was a fairly good current going on just from all the swimmer action.

Hit the turn in 21 min or so, so was feeling good.
What would you do differently?:

The swim exit was a bit wanky. I just about knocked 2 volunteers down, as they were trying to pull be from the water like some haul of a fish. I felt a bit bad for getting them all wet.

Overall, I was happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 06m 13s
Comments:

Tent transition. Tried to be methodical and move on out, but it still took a little longer than I wanted.

Move faster.
Bike
  • 4h 06m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The 3 bitches? What? The 3 witches? Oh, the 3 sisters? What are those. I put 2 and 2 together by the time I was on top of the 2nd sister.

Before that I had gotten kinda confused on the course - couldn't quite figure out the out and back's we were on. The road felt a bit like Lake Pleasant to me. It was great seeing Kara, Lisa, and Dean on the course. I was surprised when Brian passed me, because I thought he must be ahead of me somewhere. I told him I was good at spinning hills, and then he took off and left me in his dust. haha.

I focused on ticking down the miles on the bike course. The whole thing was just evil to me. When I hit the 3rd sister, I geared down 1 past the number of gears I have, and my chain fell off the cassette, so I just walked the hill. Spinning it, I barely made it up faster than riding anyway, and I probably shot my legs up right then and there on those rollers. The bike path past the sisters was tremendously boring and tedious. I just wanted to get done with the whole thing!

I kinda forgot to consume salt during the bike portion, and I probably paid for this later.
Transition 2
  • 03m 19s
Run
  • 2h 38m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

So I probably screwed up this race a bit by not becoming familiar with the map ahead of time. To me, knowing the configuration of the course is everything, because I set mental anchors at the turn arounds and tops of hills.

I didn't really realize that the out-and-back section went so far out, and this doomed me mentally.

It also didn't help that I was playing cramp control from mile 2 to the end.

Not the most spectacular performance, but acceptable considering lack of preparation.

Know thy run course.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of preparation on bike hills. Lack of knowledge of the course.

Event comments:

This was a good challenge to test myself on. Since I did this race for social reasons more than the race itself, I only wish I could have spent time with folks after the race. I would have liked to cheer Lisa & Kara in. (Probably would have missed Brian anyway since I was still dying over in the grass when he probably crossed.) Next time I need to plan on staying the night in the town so that I dont' have to run off to get home for work the next day...

Last updated: 2010-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:10 | 2100 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/149F
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:06:13 | 56 miles | 13.65 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:38:05 | 13.1 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-11-09 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Silverman - Half Iron

2010-11-09 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3203735

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Silverman - Half Iron

You managed a strong performance for not being well trained on an extremely tough course. Glad you had the BT crew out there to keep you company they make racing so much more fun. Nice work Robin, now it's time to retire, right ?

2010-11-09 10:58 PM

User image

Regular
Tempe
Nice work Robin.  You looked as strong here as you did at St. George.  I'm glad you signed up.  BTW, I agree with you on the swim exit!
2010-11-10 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Don't be so hard on yourself, Robin - you had a GREAT race.  You looked so strong spinning up that first sister, as well as at the run turnarounds.  Seeing you, I had no idea you were struggling.   It was great racing with you.  Knowing we were pretty close out on the course helped me, especially on the run (there was no help for me with the sisters    ) - I don't want to let my friends see me slacking.    Congratulations on knocking down another hugely challenging race - you have had an epic season!!

2010-11-10 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3204274

User image

Sensei
Sin City
ha!  Another Silverman Victom!

KIDDING!  Great race.  THAT'S why I keep doing this one (other than the fact it's in my back yard).  It's TOUGH.  You should be proud to have it on your resume.

Edited by Kido 2010-11-10 10:18 AM
2010-11-13 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
You looked great both on the bike and at the finish! You must have just powered through the difficulties, because you turned in another good performance on a difficult course. Wish we could have stayed longer to socialize after the race; we will all have to plan to stay on the night of the race so we can hang out and trade stories! Looking forward to the next travel race we can do together (we need to plan one!!!). 

2010-11-14 12:30 PM

User image

New user
Tempe
I need to get some swim tips from you!

It was great seeing you out on the bike course. You did an awesome job.

Now that you've seen the course, maybe you'll join Lisa and I for our re-match against Silverman at some point in the future. We'll take those 3 witches down and they'll like it.
2010-11-14 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Yes, I agree with Kara....a Silverman rematch must include Robin!!  Thanks for riding all those Saturdays and going to the lake with me!!  It was great to share this race with you!!  You were strong from start to finish even if you felt like you suffered.  :>  Now get unburnt out and come sign up for IMAZ with me. ;>   I enjoyed your report..made me smile at the Robin humor!!!  Congrats on your Silverman finish!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Half Iron Rss Feed