Ironman North America
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 16h 01m 29s
Overall Rank = 2078/2700+
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 350/474
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:30 am. Alarm set for 2:45 so I got up. Plan was to meet Emily and Jill and drive down. After I got up, realized I set both alarms for 4:00 am. Good thing I woke up. Ate a bowl of coaches oats, 10oz of POM juice and a bagel. Picked up Emily at 4:00, met Jill and Jill's sister drove us down. Drank some IM perform on way down and 1/2 another bagel.
Event warmup:

Got down to the lake and dropped off the bike and run bags. Used restroom and chatted with Darren, Erik and Eric. There was a total of 17 of us from Anthem doing the race so we had a great training summer and a lot of support from Team Anthem. Trisha and my two daughters made it down to the lake and I saw them about 15 minutes before heading to the water. That was nice. Also saw Brian, Rick W. and Joe Bonni. It was nice having so much support there.
Swim
  • 1h 40m 9s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim has been a challenge for me. I get dizzy easily and therefore can breathe right side only. I was ready for the distance and felt good before going in. Crazy getting in water. I jumped off the dock along with everyone else. As I jumped in, both feet hit the embankment and that hurt. I wish they would have said to jump out or warned about how close the concrete was. I reached down to feel my right foot feeling for warm blood and felt none. That was a relief. I started to swim up to the start and felt real good. Cold water did not affect me and my HR was low, which is unusual at the start of my OWS swims. I saw Jill and Emily and swam to them. They were happy to see me as we had planned to jump in together but we got separated. Cannon went off and I took off. Taking it easy. I tried to just swim and not let all the arms and legs bother me. For the most part, I did great at this point and I made it out about 500 yards and found an opening. My breathing was great and I knew my HR was not racing like it always does. I thought at this point, keep the pace and I felt I could get a 1:20 out of the swim. Goal was 1:30. Continued to the first bridge and went under. Funny but I took in all the bird nests under the bridges and focused on those for a minute. Caught my eye at the small little nests under the bridge. Must have been dozens. Saw the red buoy. Surprisingly my sighting was perfect. Made the turn tight and quick and it felt great and I still felt real good. About 1/2 way back I started to feel dizzy. I felt waves all of a sudden and I stopped but did not see any. I did not let it get to me so I pressed on. Still a little dizzy but I thought of my pace and breathing. At this point I felt this would be a great swim and a good day. Got a little dizzier as I approached Mill bridge and I got hit in the head. That did not help. I was struggling now and slowed way down. I had been passing swimmers all along to this point and now they were all passing me. I saw a kayak and I looked at the guy and gave him a thumbs up even though I was starting to think I was done. He yelled out "800 yards to go" and that got me going again, slow, but forward. I was right along the buoys and my sighting was still very good. Saw the final red buoy and made the turn, tight but slow. I saw the bleachers and it took me a long time to reach them. I recalled from the athlete meeting to look for the orange step and push up from there. Swam in and found an opening. Right when I put my hands on the step and pushed up, I fell back from the extreme pain in both calves that immediately cramped up. I loudly screamed in pain and yelled "cramps". A volunteer grabbed me and lifted me up but I could not stand. Both my feet were "locked" in the, what I now call, the ballet position. It hurt so bad and the volunteer rubbed them both out. Extreme pain!! Two volunteers next stood me up and it hurt. They helped me up the stairs and I saw Trisha and my two daughters. I almost lost it emotionally but I was so dizzy that I sat down. I was asked if I needed medical and I said no. I sat for a few minutes. (Trisha later told me she felt something was wrong as I just disappeared). I got up, smiled at Trisha and I saw Britt. He guided me in to strip my suit. I think he said it 3-4 times as I was out of it. He stripped my suit and helped me up and sent me on my way. I thanked him and walked to T1. I saw Tyler, Tracie and some other Team Anthem members cheering me on. I can't recall all who were there but it was nice to see them and it kept me going. Walk and shuffled to T1, a few more cheers of my name, not sure who it was. Got my bag and hit the tent. It was warm and felt good. Sat for a few minutes and the dizziness went away. Decided it was time to get going. Got ready, changed and a volunteer packed my bag and sent me on my way, after a quick bathroom break. Got my bike and walked out. Saw Trisha and the kids again and that felt good. Saw Brian M. again and he was cheering me on with I think Joe B. and a few others I can't recall. I was dizzy still and almost fell before I even got on my bike. Clipped in and took it easy out..... Why I got on my bike, I don't know. I think it was just all the mental prep I did.
What would you do differently?:

Can't control the vertigo. Even took a Dramamine before hand, thank goodness.
Transition 1
  • 15m 24s

Well, can't control the vertigo. Without that, T1 would be faster.
Bike
  • 7h 54m 22s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Headed out of Tempe and the wind took me. Felt good and I thought I could hit my goal of 6 to 6:30. Kept my HR in check and did not push it at all but I went to the beeline faster and stronger than I thought. Averaging 18-20 MPH and not working at it. Up the first loop felt great and I felt good. HR 130-140 and going up 16-18 without much effort. Hit first turn and the wind hit. I do not like the wind, never had. The noise hurts my ears and it bothered me bad. Made it down the first loop good and felt good at the turnaround. Avg was at 16 mph, which I was very happy with. Saw a bunch of Team Anthem peeps out there and their cheers were great!! Started 2nd loop and again it carried me to the beeline again. At 2nd turnaround, the wind was bad. Some rain and cold and I felt horrible. I fought it all the way down. I don't know how I made it down that 2nd loop. It tore me up. HR was still hovering 140. I did not push or hammer it as I did not want too and I did not want to fight the wind and blow out my legs for the run. I had some bad thoughts and almost quit coming back down. It was defeating to me to struggle so hard coming down the hill as I had always looked forward to coming down the hill and resting my legs. How I made it down, I don't know. I felt mentally exhausted. Came back into town and there was Team Anthem again cheering me on. I recognized Amber and several others I can't recall as I tried to look like I was OK but I was not. Not sure why I made the turn but I did. Defeating seeing so many going into T2 and I had another loop to go. Going up this the 3rd loop the wind shifted, or maybe I was just not feeling it but I t was hard getting to the beeline and up it this point. Going up I saw Rick Hall and it raised my spirits 100%. He was out there standing next to his wheel chair (he was suppose to race; he has done every IMAZ, but crashed 6 weeks ago, breaking his pelvis and shoulder). I yelled to him and he cheered me on. That really helped. I than saw a cyclist with only one leg, his left leg. He had no artificial device on his right leg and he was struggling but doing this with that one leg!! Amazing!! That got me to the top. I turned and the wind had died down and it was the first time I thought I could actually make this. As I approached the aid station my front tire was flat. No blow out but flat. That hurt my mental game that was now back on. I stopped, racked the bike and used the bathroom. Came back and it was still flat. Not sure what I was hoping for but it did not go away. I thought I would just put air in it as I figured it was a very slow leak. Aired it up and saw there was a pinhole leak, very slow. I felt I could make it down and if I had to, change it. Made it down the hill which was very, very hard. I was mentally done but I knew I was almost to the end. Stopped again at the aid station at the bottom of the hill and a volunteer pumped up the front for me. He said it was not that bad at all and I had 8 miles to go. The wind kicked back up and it was a challenge to get back. Along McClintock, the wind blew up a old political sign and almost took me out. That was close. Could not read who the sign was for but had I saw the name, I would have dropped him a personal email today scolding him for not cleaning up his crap that almost killed me. It barely missed me and was a very big sign! Got back into town and into T2. Lance G. took my bike and told me good job and I was going to do this. Thanks Lance, I needed that at that point as the bike defeated me.

Get stronger on the bike. First time I have rode in wind and rain and over 92 miles. Aero position I am not good with at all. Very hard and painful on my neck and shoulders. They hurt the entire 2nd and 3rd loop. Hard to hold.
Transition 2
  • 05m 48s
Comments:

T2 was great. All of a sudden I was looking forward to running and I felt great. There were some in T2 hurting bad and shivering real hard. Not sure if they made it out. Changed all my clothes as they were all wet and into dry clothes and I was off and running.

Nothing. Very happy with T2.
Run
  • 6h 05m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out and I was running 8:00 pace. I had to slow down. My goal was a 10:00 min pace, as long as my knee held up. Ran first 10 miles and caught and passed Joe H., Jill and Emily. That felt good. I knew now I was going to finish. First time I felt confident I would. That bike course almost won, but I beat it!! I ran into Shea L. He was hurting and walking and said his left IT band was gone. I felt bad for Shea but he said he had plenty of time to finish and he would and he did. Walked with him for a few minutes. Great job Shea.

So, I was running strong up to about mile 14. I had hoped to get 15-18 out of my knee. The knee was not the issue, the pain in my back presented itself and hurt. I decided that my overall goal of 14 or under was not possible due to the bike course and I was not going to take a chance and blow out my knee. Finishing was my goal now and I knew I had plenty of time so I enjoyed myself. I recall after the first turn off Mill bride seeing all the Team Anthem folks and seeing Brain Mcg and Rick W. just going nuts and yelling. That was great. I saw Greg P and Julie W. also, along with several other team anthem folks. One funny thing, not sure where it occurred, I think the bike, but I heard someone shout out "Go Team Anthem" and it looked like Nicole L. It took me off guard but i recalled she has a twin sister. That was freaky. Anyways, kept on running and saw my wife and Daughter again. That was nice and they were so happy to see me. Stopped and chatted a few with them and told them my time I thought I would come in. Pressed on, walking and talking with other athletes. Emily caught me again and we played cat and mouse for a while, same with Jill. Joe H. passed me and he looked strong. I walked a lot with Jill. She was hurting real bad and as of this writing, she thinks she has a broken foot. Ran and walked and walked the last 5-6 miles with Jill. I was OK with that. I was hoping for a sub 5 marathon and I know I could have dine it but I think I would be hurting a lot more than I am right now. No regrets on not pushing it but I think I could have. I had fun on the run and enjoyed the course and the entire event on the run. I made up for that horrible bike I had. I ran into Rick Branam, childhood friend of mine, and I stopped and talked with him for several minutes. I twas great to see him and talk with him. He was happy I was doing this and is the one who got me into this entire IM thing. Thanks Rick, without yo I never would have signed on for any of these events. I had Rick text Trisha and tell her I had 5 miles to go as I was behind what I had told her 2 hours ago. ( She later told me she was glad to get the text as she thought my knee went out and I was hurt)

Through out the run I was taking advil, which helped my back pain go dull for about an hour. I had to stop as I think I took 2000 mg over a 4 hour period. I just dealt with the pain at this point and took no more advil.

2 miles to go and I was with Jill and another athlete named Chris. He was funny. Very tall black male who was gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. We had fun chatting and laughing and he was a blast. His first also. His last TRI he got pulled from the water and walked right over and signed on for IMAZ. Talk about determination. Jill told me it was 10:30 and 2 miles to go. Great feeling. I wanted to now come in under 16. I ran/walked. My feet were now hurting. I knew I would make it. Hit the turn and saw Britt. He looked exhausted, told me congrats. Ran up the the start of the finish and I saw Trisha and Caitlyn and Rick B. I chatted for about two minutes and headed out. I ran very strong through the finish chute. What an experience. Heard my name over all the noise and crossed the line and into the arms of Crissy Wellington. That was great. she told me congrats and I did the same to her. She was actually happy to see me finish and I could tell it made her happy being there watching all of us slow folks come through. That was too cool. Got my medal, hat and tee and saw Trisha and Caitlyn and Rick B. I felt good but my feet hurt and my back was in pain.

With a better bike time push the run.

This was my first marathon. It was good. I enjoyed it and took it all end. Never bonked or had that feeling so many talk about at mile 18-20. I felt great at the end, cardio wise, and knew I had more in me.
Post race
Warm down:

I was warm. Did not need a blanket. I saw Emily in a wheel chair and it freaked me out. She said she was OK but fainted after the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike....

Event comments:

Course was great but the weather made it bad for me. The bike destroyed me. How I finished the bike I do not no. I am not sure what kept me going. I was OK with a DNF but I kept going.

I am sure I missed a few things here. It was challenging for me this day. Swim hurt, bike hurt more that I can describe but the run made up for it and all in all, I had a fun race!

Last updated: 2010-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:40:09 | 4224 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 358/474
Overall: 2088/2700+
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 15:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:54:22 | 112 miles | 14.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 379/474
Overall: 2224/2700+
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:05:46 | 26.2 miles | 13m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 350/474
Overall: 2078/2700+
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-22 9:51 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Arizona

2010-11-23 12:24 AM
in reply to: #3222542

Champion
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Nice race Dave!  I was out there cheering the BT-ers and taking pictures.  Wish I had known who you were ahead of time, I would have looked for you.  Amazing how you all made it through that bike loop.  I was on the road divider about a 1/2 mile before the U-turn in town and when the rain storm hit, you could feel the wind change direction.  That 3rd loop was miserable.  Congrats on finishing and putting all those little nagging problems behind you during the race.  That's surely half the battle of becoming an Ironman!
2010-11-23 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Great race Dave! So glad I finally got to see you on the last run loop! I knew you felt bad, but you looked strong. I also got to see you finish and that was awesome. So proud of you and happy for you!
2010-11-23 12:38 PM

User image

Regular
nice job in some tough conditions.

congratulations!
2010-11-23 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Congratulations on finishing! You are an IRONMAN!

Tip for the wind... put ear plugs in your ears.

Great job!
2010-11-23 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3223558

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Congrats!

I wish I would have thought to get a run down of BT bib numbers.  I was there to catch you at that time!

(anyone with 13-17 hour finish times)

Way to go Ironman!

2010-11-23 3:56 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats, Dave! You are such an Ironman after getting through all of that. It's been great running into you over the year. Enjoy your rest; I know I will.
2010-11-23 5:15 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Nice job.  I think there is a picture of you at azcentral.com. Go to the Tempe section and look for the IMAZ pictures gallery.  I will try and find the link. I saw a pic of a guy on the ground after the swim trying to get rid of leg cramps.  Congrats on the finish.

2010-11-23 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3224024

User image

I found the photo.  Not me but thanks.  I am sure we were not the only two with leg cramps.  Mine hit as I tried to get out of the water and I ended up sitting on the bottom step, in the water, until they went away.
2010-11-23 11:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Nice job, way to hang tough through your vertigo.  Did you wear wax earplugs during your swim?  I tend to get a little dizzy when swimming in cold water and have found earplugs to be a big help.

2010-11-24 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Congrats Dave, You are now an Ironman. You earned it today.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed