of 2

2010-12-21 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3256176

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Survivor Finale - Spoilers
Bcozican - 2010-12-21 9:02 AM

Didnt see one...I think a challenge where they can buy food, clothing or an item for tribal use...like a fishing pole or flint, tarp etc would be great...see who can think strategically and make the best purchase to further their "survival"...

Side note..whoever designs challenges is a genius...great variety and then the team that has to build them in the middle of nowhere are awesome too....unsung heroes of the show

I'm convinced and I tell my wife this all the time that the challenges are slightly rigged.  Not all of them, but I think when Burnett wants a result to go a certain way he 'modifies' the equipment.  A recent case could have been the coins alotted to one person were more 'off center' in the final challenge.  I don't think that happened, but no one would have known if it did. 

I remember in one of the female vs male Survivors a few years ago the challenge came to cutting a rope.  The men were cutting forever, the women caught up and with one whack the rope goes and they win the challenge. 

2010-12-21 11:09 PM
in reply to: #3256176

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Bcozican - 2010-12-21 11:02 AM

Didnt see one...I think a challenge where they can buy food, clothing or an item for tribal use...like a fishing pole or flint, tarp etc would be great...see who can think strategically and make the best purchase to further their "survival"...

Side note..whoever designs challenges is a genius...great variety and then the team that has to build them in the middle of nowhere are awesome too....unsung heroes of the show

I was also surprised that there was no auction-type reward.

Yeah, the challenges are pretty cool.  I noticed that sometimes they use the same stuff over again in another challenge.  But not always.  They must have some fabulous carpenters.  I bet some of them are designed ahead of time.  I also wonder if they have crewmembers that test them out.  You know, see how long they take the average person to complete.  I would like to see some more "biggest loser" type challenges...i.e. they LAST LONGER.  These challenges for the most part are over SUPER quick.  Not much endurance required in general.... 
2010-12-22 12:07 AM
in reply to: #3257068

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
jldicarlo - 2010-12-22 12:09 AM

Yeah, the challenges are pretty cool.  I noticed that sometimes they use the same stuff over again in another challenge.  But not always.  They must have some fabulous carpenters.  I bet some of them are designed ahead of time.  I also wonder if they have crewmembers that test them out.  You know, see how long they take the average person to complete.  I would like to see some more "biggest loser" type challenges...i.e. they LAST LONGER.  These challenges for the most part are over SUPER quick.  Not much endurance required in general.... 

I watched a "Behind the Scenes" show once where they showed the crew members trying out the challenges to make sure they are functional.  Also, I think a lot of the challenges do require endurance; we just don't see it.  Just like the tribal counsels actually last multiple hours and we only see about 5 minutes.

I have to agree with the other poster, too, that the challenges may be slightly "rigged" to allow for certain people to do well.  I also wonder if there are many challenge designs and only certain ones are used.  For example, the challenge that was originally built to be the third immunity challenge ends up being the fifth immunity challenge, so as to give a team a better advantage. 
2010-12-22 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3256633

User image

Regular
Fatdoggy - 2010-12-21 3:58 PM

I don't like the quitting rule change either. If the rule was in place Na would have been on the jury and purple would not have been. They would have just added one more challenge to get the odd number. I say if they quit they are off the show and not on the jury, don't leave it up to the producers to decide.

Huh?  How would Na have been on the jury?  Neither of them would have been.  They both quit.

They did not say that quitters are automatically disqualified from the jury. They said that the producers will decide if they are on the jury or not. At least that is how I heard it. Maybe I need to go back and check though.
2010-12-22 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3257165

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Its Only Money - 2010-12-22 7:00 AM

I don't like the quitting rule change either. If the rule was in place Na would have been on the jury and purple would not have been. They would have just added one more challenge to get the odd number. I say if they quit they are off the show and not on the jury, don't leave it up to the producers to decide.

Huh?  How would Na have been on the jury?  Neither of them would have been.  They both quit.

They did not say that quitters are automatically disqualified from the jury. They said that the producers will decide if they are on the jury or not. At least that is how I heard it. Maybe I need to go back and check though.

This is exactly what I heard too.

2010-12-22 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3257092

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

phillybarb - 2010-12-22 12:07 AM
jldicarlo - 2010-12-22 12:09 AM

I watched a "Behind the Scenes" show once where they showed the crew members trying out the challenges to make sure they are functional.  Also, I think a lot of the challenges do require endurance; we just don't see it.  Just like the tribal counsels actually last multiple hours and we only see about 5 minutes.

I have to agree with the other poster, too, that the challenges may be slightly "rigged" to allow for certain people to do well.  I also wonder if there are many challenge designs and only certain ones are used.  For example, the challenge that was originally built to be the third immunity challenge ends up being the fifth immunity challenge, so as to give a team a better advantage. 

Well, they definitely go through the challenges enough to film the little video about how they will work.  What a fun job!  And in such conditions... I don't imagine that they are really as remotely located as they seem, but they definitely have to haul that stuff at least a mile or two into the bush and often in 3rd world conditions.  And they even built a little pool!  I also saw a special where Jeff talked about this favorite challenges.  He mentioned the one in Tom's original season (the gray haired guy who was on the Heroes tribe most recently) where the challenge lasted for an insane number of hours because it was basically too easy.  It finally ended when Tom brokered a deal and the second to last person dropped voluntarily.

There are many interesting videos about Survivor on the CBS site.

2010-12-22 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3257316

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

BikerGrrrl - 2010-12-22 9:51 AM

I was not disputing that it would be up to the producers.  I was questioning why the person I was responding to thought Na would have been on the jury under the new rules. 

I just re-watched that part of the show on cbs.com.  At 23:40, while interviewing Na's mom, Jeff clearly says that neither Na or Purple Kelly would have been allowed on the jury under the new rules.

2010-12-22 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3257453

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Fatdoggy - 2010-12-22 10:09 AM

BikerGrrrl - 2010-12-22 9:51 AM

I was not disputing that it would be up to the producers.  I was questioning why the person I was responding to thought Na would have been on the jury under the new rules. 

I just re-watched that part of the show on cbs.com.  At 23:40, while interviewing Na's mom, Jeff clearly says that neither Na or Purple Kelly would have been allowed on the jury under the new rules.

I definitely thought Jeff said it would be up to the producers "what to do with" people who quit.  But hinted that Na/Purple Kelly would have probably not been allowed on the jury.
2010-12-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3254355

User image

Regular
I guess I need to rewatch that part. To me it just seems like a person like Na could provide good fodder for the jury. It was/is my opinion that if another personality like Na ever quits they would leave her on the jury.
2010-12-22 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3257508

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Its Only Money - 2010-12-22 10:41 AM I guess I need to rewatch that part. To me it just seems like a person like Na could provide good fodder for the jury. It was/is my opinion that if another personality like Na ever quits they would leave her on the jury.

They definitely left themselves the option to choose.  However, since the uproar from the fans was so intense I don't think they will ever let another "quitter" stay on the jury ever again...
2010-12-23 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I found a few of the earlier Survivor Seasons on sale at Amazon.  I get frees shipping, so I splurged and bought some because I really never watched the show until the last few years.  I remember seeing a few scenes from the first season when I was a cadet, but I didn't really watch much TV then so it's definitely few and far between.

Anyway, I started watching Season 1 last night and it is INCREDIBLE how much this show has changed!!!  It's almost fun to watch these first contestants that went in with no preconceived notion of what the game would be like.  People actually refused to create alliances because they didn't think that was right!  And the challenges actually forced the contestants to THINK.  Holy CARP!

I'm not sure I'll keep the DVD's when I'm done.  I'll probably sell them at a Movie Stop for credit or something.  Or maybe on ebay.  This isn't something I see myself watching over and over.  Just wanted to watch them to see what happened.   I wonder if Netflix carries them...I don't do Netflix but could have done it for a few months to watch something like this....

2010-12-23 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
I've seen every season except 1, and some early ones that jump out for me are 1 of course, Africa, the one with Terry the airforce guy. Definately worth watching on the trainer.
2010-12-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3259397

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Some, but not a majority, of the seasons are available on Netflix.

2010-12-23 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
My next observation...the bathing suits have DEFINITELY gotten skimpier in 20 seasons.

And I think they fed them more in the early seasons...these guys don't look like they are losing weight at all.... 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Survivor Finale - Spoilers Rss Feed  

of 2