BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-02 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3272827

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - OPEN
nvandyke - 2011-01-02 3:54 PM

GoGoGo - 2011-01-02 4:15 AM
BigDH - 2011-01-01 11:57 PM I have two. A cervelo p2sl that I have no ridden since august 09. But it is a sweet ride. My other bike is a touring bike and it is my commuter. Bit it is falling apart and I will be lucky if I get another summer if riding to work out of it. Looking forward to getting a new one sometime this summer it next winter.

A Cervelo...Haven't ridden since 2009?   Why?  A very nice Tri-bike.

Are you replacing the commuter or the Cervelo?

A CERVELO IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE....PUMP YOUR TIRES MAN AND GO!!

This is a good point. When the snow melts and the rocks get off the road I will pull it out...um...sometime in June.

2011-01-02 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3272872

User image

Virginia Beach -- Rudee Inlet
A CERVELO IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE....PUMP YOUR TIRES MAN AND GO!!
This is a good point. When the snow melts and the rocks get off the road I will pull it out...um...sometime in June.

Oh...CALGARY...right....Foot in mouth
2011-01-02 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3272043

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Hey Richard,

The sprint tri in June will be my first triathlon ever, so I can't answer your question based on experience...  Being diabetic will definitely require some extra safety steps when I do actually race, i.e. testing my blood sugar while in the transition area, carrying extra "snacks" along with me during the bike and run portions in case my blood sugar drops, etc. 

And you're right, nutrition probably plays a more important role for me to keep my blood sugars stable!  It's one thing to play sports where you have intermittent breaks so I can always grab a snack or juice in case my blood sugar is low.  But it can be trickier with endurance sports since you have to have the snack on your person (versus in your bag on the side of the tennis court) and you are exerting yourself for longer periods of time.

And to answer your bike question - I purchased a new Trek hybrid last year before I committed to doing my first tri.  I love the bike to ride around the neighborhood with my kids, but I'm not sure it will be fun to ride in a tri!  And now I'm having a tough time convincing my husband that I need to buy a road bike!  I don't blame him.  I'm going to use the hybrid this coming season and then if I become totally addicted to tris, maybe I can buy a used road bike for the next season??
2011-01-02 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Veteran
I have a Lemond Tourmalet Road Bike and a Trek Hilo Tri Bike.  I've had the Lemond Tourmalet for a while.  The DH just got me the Tri Bike for my birthday in November.  I haven't ridden it yet and am actually terrified to get on it!!  I'm a little nervous on the bike and typically do most of my rides on an old two lane road that has been turned into a trail.  I REALLY want to get more comfortable on the bike this year!!

Here's a pic of the Lemond...I don't have one of the Trek yet.

(Me and the Bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Me and the Bike.jpg (99KB - 8 downloads)
2011-01-02 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3273009

User image

Expert
Canada
kpringle - 2011-01-02 8:56 PM Hey Richard,

The sprint tri in June will be my first triathlon ever, so I can't answer your question based on experience...  Being diabetic will definitely require some extra safety steps when I do actually race, i.e. testing my blood sugar while in the transition area, carrying extra "snacks" along with me during the bike and run portions in case my blood sugar drops, etc. 

And you're right, nutrition probably plays a more important role for me to keep my blood sugars stable!  It's one thing to play sports where you have intermittent breaks so I can always grab a snack or juice in case my blood sugar is low.  But it can be trickier with endurance sports since you have to have the snack on your person (versus in your bag on the side of the tennis court) and you are exerting yourself for longer periods of time.

And to answer your bike question - I purchased a new Trek hybrid last year before I committed to doing my first tri.  I love the bike to ride around the neighborhood with my kids, but I'm not sure it will be fun to ride in a tri!  And now I'm having a tough time convincing my husband that I need to buy a road bike!  I don't blame him.  I'm going to use the hybrid this coming season and then if I become totally addicted to tris, maybe I can buy a used road bike for the next season??

Re: DM  the sprint may be short enough not to be an issue.  The olympic, you referenced in your log, might be trickier.  Your training  will include seeing what happens to your  glucose levels with varying duration of exertion.  Hopefully your race experience will be able to predict based on your training experiences.  Luckily the bike is where many things can be adjusted.  Here is where many catch up on hydration, nutrition, etc.  Not sure what a gel would do if you became hypo, but you can tape these to the crossbar of your bike.

I'd be interested in finding out how your body responds to this & how you deal with it...

Re: Bike...Many people use hybrids, mountain bikes, etc for sprints.  A hybrid would be Ok for an Oly as well.  I suspect anything longer than these distances & you would be very disadvantaged.  Your thought about giving a season & find out how much you like it is sensible.  One thing you can easily & relatively cheaply modify are your tires.  My hybrid had either knobby, mountain bike tires or smooth road tires.  If yours have knobby tires, you could get road tires fairly cheaply.  The decrease in rolling resistance will give you much more speed with less effort (always good).  If you have mountain bike tires, you could ask your local bike shop about whether the tires can be switched.

Here is my hybrid with roadie tires.  Yours similar?

Just a thought...

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-02 8:37 PM

(IMG_3237.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_3237.JPG (73KB - 6 downloads)
2011-01-02 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3273091

User image

Expert
Canada
crisi13 - 2011-01-02 9:35 PM I have a Lemond Tourmalet Road Bike and a Trek Hilo Tri Bike.  I've had the Lemond Tourmalet for a while.  The DH just got me the Tri Bike for my birthday in November.  I haven't ridden it yet and am actually terrified to get on it!!  I'm a little nervous on the bike and typically do most of my rides on an old two lane road that has been turned into a trail.  I REALLY want to get more comfortable on the bike this year!!

Here's a pic of the Lemond...I don't have one of the Trek yet.

Cool bike!  The bike has clips, so you are used to clipping in & out!  If you have that mastered the Tri bike should be easy!  I share your concern about a tri bike in traffic.  I  would not want to ride my tri bike on a trail or in heavy traffic.  They need a country road which is a little less busy.  You need to be able to stay in the "drops" to get the aero effect & then you don't have easy access to your brakes, as you know!!  All that being said, if you are a speed junkie, there is nothing like a TT bike!!!

Richard 

2011-01-02 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Hi All - I am finally home and excited to see so many of you and so much chatting already!

So - I've compiled the list and if you want to copy this info into your training blog - by all means do so.  I will be sending out some personal messages since it looks like some of you are really brand new to this site. So make sure to come back - we want to hear from you and make sure to help you on your triathlon journey!

So far we have a great group and you're all in. I am just going to keep it open until the morning in case anyone else sneaks in and I have a chance to read over everything!

Keeping It Consistent Group

pascullid
 - Dannae
Osfan4life - Lindsay
BigDH - Darren
kpringle - Kristen
JosieO - Josie
jenjen54 - Jen
crisi13 - Crissy
GoGoGo - Richard
melissabenson1 - Melissa
hooliemay - Julie
elena verdegaal - Elena
DeputyDawg - Dee
nvandyke - Nat
RobbyN210 - Robby?
debbiereid06 - Debbie
djmoudi - Chaf
KeriKadi - Keri
2011-01-02 11:45 PM

User image

Memphis
Not sure if this is the right place to join the group, but I'd love the help! I've recently started training for a sprint tri in Orlando - 3/12/11. I'm 33, and have been working out and getting healthy for the last 3 years. I've only competed in one multisport event; that was a Muddy Buddy race and was SO fun! Really looking forward to triathlon but nervous as well.
Currently using Eric Harr's book, Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week as my training guide. Would love any/all help I can get about this experience!
2011-01-03 12:02 AM

User image

Memphis
realizing now I didn't "apply" properly...here goes!

NAME: Mylissa 

STORY: I am a 33 year-old mom of three who spends most of her time homeschooling the kids, working part time for the nonprofit my husband and I started, and teaching horse lessons once a week to a bunch of kids. In between, I squeeze in workouts! I got back in the pool two years ago to get ready for a personal goal - to swim across the lake where my husband and I grew up. It's a mile, and I did it...and after watching a friend compete in Florida Ironman, I've been wanting to attempt a triathlon myself.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 4 horses and an outdoor cat

CURRENT TRAINING: using Eric Harr's training plan for an early March sprint triathlon

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 5K in late February, Wildman Sprint Tri March 12

2011 RACES:  Muddy Buddy 10K Bike/Run outside of Nashville, TN

WEIGHTLOSS: I really would like to firm up, and possibly drop 5-7 pounds.  Trying not to concern myself with weight right now.

WHY I WANT TO BE YOUR MENTEE:  I like that you started this sport around the same age-range as I am, and really because I desperately need confidence and help! Thanks!!!

2011-01-03 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Welcome Lisa!  And now we're closed!

We definitely won't turn anyone away but we need to keep it manageable. I'll add you to list above and we'll get training!
2011-01-03 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3273229

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Updated list - please let me know if i've missed you.  We did have one blank so i assumed that person joined another group!

juniperjen - 2011-01-02 10:00 PM Hi All - I am finally home and excited to see so many of you and so much chatting already!

So - I've compiled the list and if you want to copy this info into your training blog - by all means do so.  I will be sending out some personal messages since it looks like some of you are really brand new to this site. So make sure to come back - we want to hear from you and make sure to help you on your triathlon journey!

So far we have a great group and you're all in. I am just going to keep it open until the morning in case anyone else sneaks in and I have a chance to read over everything!

Keeping It Consistent Group

pascullid
 - Dannae
Osfan4life - Lindsay
BigDH - Darren
kpringle - Kristen
JosieO - Josie
jenjen54 - Jen
crisi13 - Crissy
GoGoGo - Richard
melissabenson1 - Melissa
hooliemay - Julie
elena verdegaal - Elena
DeputyDawg - Dee
nvandyke - Nat
RobbyN210 - Robby?
debbiereid06 - Debbie
djmoudi - Chaf
KeriKadi - Keri
mylissahorrocks - Mylissa

2011-01-03 7:53 AM

User image

Upstate NY
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL

So here is a little bit more about me.

Hello my name is Rob and this will be my 4th year of doing triathlons.  The first year I did sprints and an Olympic distance.  The 2nd year I did two 1/2 IMs, and last year I did an IM.

This year I want to focus on getting faster, and plan on doing 1/2 this summer.  My hope is to do another IM in 2012.

Running is my weakness right now.  I can run forever, but my pace is slow.  (That is where I get passed in all my races)  It isn’t that I am tired from the bike (I run the same pace if I was doing a stand alone race most of the time), but just have never done speed workouts.

So here we go for 2011.  Work on speed, lose some weight (which should help out with speed), have fun and stay healthy.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!

Edited by RobbyN210 2011-01-03 7:58 AM
2011-01-03 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
So let me introduce myself!  Oh and thanks for the inspires already!!!  I knew I was going to like this groupWink

NAME:
debbiereid06/Debbie

STORY: I am a wife, mother, school counselor, and full time student (Will be done in May with my 2nd masters!!!). I started running in 2007 and completed my first 5k that year and then got pregnant.  Then in 2009 decided that i really needed to get back into shape and signed up for a 1/2 mary.  Completed that in September of 09' and quit running due to a torn ligament from the 1/2 mary.  Have not really consistently done much....Really wanted to do a tri last summer and had a couple ready to go and had a bike that I was going to borrow because i don't own one and chickened out.  I am ready to get back and get moving again.  I am signed up for a 5 miler in March and a 10k in April right now.  I am trying to get pregnant so that may throw a wrench into things, but we shall see when it happens.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 5 years (in March) to a wonderful husband.  One 2 1/2 year old daughter, dog and cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have slacked a little in the past few weeks, but am ready to get back with it.    Really would like to get back on the bike and in the pool.  Can't really do that until hubby switches jobs in two weeks, so will be focusing on running most.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  March 12th-5 mile St. Patty's day run &  April 9th-Shamrock 10k

2010 RACES:  

5K Race for the Cure

WEIGHTLOSS: I have about 15 lbs to lose until I am pre-pregnancy weight.  I am joining WW again this week.  It really worked for me last time and know it will again!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a great cheerleader and love to try to motivate people.  I love sharing ideas and getting advice from others.

Here's to a great year!!!

2011-01-03 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Oh and for you mom's out there I got a new book for Christmas called "Run like a Mother".  It is awesome and I highly recommend you read it.  It is great!!!
2011-01-03 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Debbie - thanks for the book recommendation.  I got a Kindle for Christmas Kiss and am currently reading The Help but will take a look for the next one.

Mylissa - I am also a homeschooler!  Awesome to have two of us in the same group.  I have 5 kids but the older two are teenagers in public school a senior and sophomore.  I am homeschooling my girls 8 and 7 and of course the 3 year old learns as we go along.  I am a pretty laid back homeschooler, not a type A kind of Mom.  I used to be an API Attachment Parenting International leader and work hard to let me children be who they are meant to be. 

Woke up with a sore throat this morning, not too happy about that.  I posted it in my logs but the other night I was on a short run when I was cornered by a pit bull barking and lunging at me.  I was standing in the street screaming as loud as I could hoping the owners would come out of their home but they never did.  The screaming left my throat tender, a little buggy yesterday and today it's downright pissed off.  I have a swim and run on the plan today but I may just run and save the swim for tomorrow.

Today we are enjoying our last day of vacation - my husband is off, my Mom leaves today to go back to Denver and all the kids are home.  The boys go back Wednesday Frown
2011-01-03 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Morning folks,

I am back to work tomorrow as well.  Kids back to school.

My knee is improving, but slowly.  May have to seek help with it if not better in a few days.  Don't want to get railroaded into the couch-potato life too long.   Been there, did that, not going back!!

We have had good running weather here, for this time of year...no snow, streets are clear.  temperature above freezing!  I usually run/bike a lot over the holidays, not this year.  I miss it!

Back to the bike question...Everyone must have a bike then???

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-03 11:24 AM

2011-01-03 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Bike, yes, an Orbea Ordu her name is Dori and although I am currently very unhappy with my saddle I LOVE my bike!

(DoriSm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DoriSm.JPG (60KB - 12 downloads)
2011-01-03 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Taking today off as well. Sucks to go back to work tommorow but will be good to get away from all the food. I think we had honest to God feast nights 7 times in December.

In other news, intestinal bug returned. So laying on the couch today.
2011-01-03 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Darren: sorry to hear you're sick again! take care of yourself!!

For me, I am off today but back to work tomorrow. It's going to be a bit of a crazy week so i am going to get my swims and bikes in before we go away this weekend.  As mentioned, I got married in the fall and we're going to my husband's hometown on the east coast to see some family, particularly his grandmother, who couldn't come to the wedding. I'll be able to run but that's about it.

So, what's on tap for this week?  Maybe we can post our plans and that way we can then check in - since the theme of this thread is consistency - create accountability but not guilt! We won't judge, we're all busy but i know that just knowing that someone cares if you do it or not can help motivate when the couch is calling!

So, for me:

M: Bike, Swim, optional: yoga
T: Run,
W: Swim, bike
T: Run, swim
F: off - travel
S: long run
S: likely off
2011-01-03 10:43 AM

for me i will be following the sprint 16 week (swim focused) program.
I will be updating my log and will share for everyone to see...
2011-01-03 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3272401

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

GoGoGo - 2011-01-02 12:18 PM
DeputyDawg - 2011-01-02 1:08 PM

GoGoGo - 2011-01-01 9:46 PM So, does everyone have a bike?  Whatcha' ridin? 

Have a Marinoni road bike and Specialized Stumpjumper MTB.  Both are over 13 yrs old !!! Hoping to replace the road bike next fall.

Specialized is an excellent bike.   My commuter, hybrid is a specialized Sirrus sport.  Great bike.

Showing my lack of knowledge of bike brands, I had to look up Marioni

I have a Cannondale Road bike.

Is this the bike you have??  Looks Cool & fast!!!!

That is one sexy looking bike !! Unfortunately mine is just a plain old road bike.  Even after many drinks she still doesnt look that good.  I'll try to post a pic when I get home tonite.

2011-01-03 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

My goal for the week is to be consistent and do a minimum 20 min activity each day.  Not much I know, but hopefully it will help me start getting back into the groove.

2011-01-03 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3274115

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

My training plan for this week:
M: Spin class (check!)
T: Spin
W: Run
Th: Spin
F: Swim on my own
S: Masters Swim
Su: Likely off but possible run

*I'm taking an extra spin class this week b/c I've been slacking off on spinning over the holidays!

2011-01-03 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3274053

User image

Veteran
KeriKadi - 2011-01-03 11:19 AM

Bike, yes, an Orbea Ordu her name is Dori and although I am currently very unhappy with my saddle I LOVE my bike!

That is a beautiful bike!! What kind of saddle are you using...I'm starting to look for one for my new Tri Bike and have no idea where to begin!
2011-01-03 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
I don't have a bike.  I borrowed my friends when i started training last year and then fell on Mothers day and that was the beginning of the end of my tri training.  I need to get a bike, but have no clue what to even look for and I don't have the money to have one be too expensive. 

As for my plan this week here it is...

M-off
T-2 mile
W-30 min. x-train (if hubby is home at a decent time may go spin in the gym)
R-1.5 mile
F-off
S-30 min. x-train (swim/bike at gym)
S-2.5 mile
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35