BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-02 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - OPEN
Happy day 2 to the new year to everyone! Hi All!! I am still out of town but will be back later tonight to give everyone a more personal hello.

So, have you been getting up to anything?  Anyone dealing with crazy weather? Here it went from the warm side of freezing way back down last night. I am sure glad I got a couple of warm runs in while it lasted!

I would like to do a few things with this thread to make sure we all check in and take advantage of the great information and expertise we all have.  I am thinking about a weekly question we can all think about and answer and some sharing. when you find a great article or plan by all means post the link and share.

Also, I'll put together the links for each of here so we can easily add each other as friends.

2011-01-02 10:41 AM

Cold Lake
Hi guys. Got room for one more Canadian?
My name is Julie and for years I've been secretly vowing to do a triathlon. This year I've said it out loud and made it quite public that my goal is to do a sprint this year.

I grew up swimming but have never been a runner. I've tried a couple learn to run programs but never seem to make it past week 3 or 4. My husband has just started running and is in love with it so I'm hoping some of his enthusiasm will rub off on me.

I am 35yrs old and live in chilly northern Alberta... so all of my training is indoors for a few more months. I am a lifeguard/swim instructor so I get lots of pool time and the treadmill in my basement should make staying on track with my running easy enough.

Do you think it's okay to put off biking until the snow disappears or should I hope on an indoor one at the gym?
2011-01-02 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Hi!  My name is Elena.  I'm not sure how this all works, but I'd like to give it a "tri'! 

About me:  When I was 38 (i'll be 40 in a few weeks)I decided I wanted to attempt a triathlon.  I came very close to registering for one last lear, but ultimately fear got the best of me.  I turn 40 in 3 weeks.....uhh, no triathon to speak of....However, I found a group of girlfriends that are committed to training for our first sprint tri this year. So excited! 

Past activity:  
I'd say I know my way around a gym.  I've used weights since the age of 20, feel totally comfortable, and have very quick results when I am consistent in the gym. That is my biggest problem:  Consistancy!  

Accomplishments: 
Feb 09: half-marathon, Oct 09: half-marathon, June '10:  Muddy-buddy ride n run, and several 5k's and fun-runs mixed in.  Since October of this year Ive began running again and run about 3x a week usually 2-3 miles.  I also run/hike the hills of our ranch which is my favorite workout lately!  No riding or swimming.  Yet.

I'm hoping to get that extra support from someone who has triathlon experience.  As I said, Im not sure how this all works, but I want to give it a TRI!  
2011-01-02 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Is there room for one more?

NAME: Dee

STORY: 45 yr old female, police officer (sorry BigDH ) and full time student. I was always fairly athletic and lived to work out and play hockey. For some reason that love has been missing for many years. Every time I try to get back into a groove I seem to sabotage myself. I have yet to do a triathlon tho every year i tell myself that this will be the year. Have done a few duathlons (12 yrs ago!), few half marys and a number of 5k's.

FAMILY STATUS: Common-law with lots of 4 legged kids

CURRENT TRAINING: A little sidelined right now with a disc issue. For now will be focusing on cycling, walking and lower body/core exercises until I get the ok to start running again.

2011 RACES: So far only registered for Slainte 5k March 12th

WEIGHTLOSS: Would love to get rid of 15 lbs

WHY I WANT TO BE YOUR MENTEE:I have a real hard time with consistency. Need people to kick my butt when needed and hold me accountable.

2011-01-02 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3271787

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

GoGoGo - 2011-01-01 9:46 PM So, does everyone have a bike?  Whatcha' ridin? 

Have a Marinoni road bike and Specialized Stumpjumper MTB.  Both are over 13 yrs old !!! Hoping to replace the road bike next fall.

2011-01-02 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3272386

User image

Expert
Canada
Double PostEmbarassed

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-02 11:25 AM

2011-01-02 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3272386

User image

Expert
Canada
DeputyDawg - 2011-01-02 1:08 PM

GoGoGo - 2011-01-01 9:46 PM So, does everyone have a bike?  Whatcha' ridin? 

Have a Marinoni road bike and Specialized Stumpjumper MTB.  Both are over 13 yrs old !!! Hoping to replace the road bike next fall.

Specialized is an excellent bike.   My commuter, hybrid is a specialized Sirrus sport.  Great bike.

Showing my lack of knowledge of bike brands, I had to look up Marioni

I have a Cannondale Road bike.

Is this the bike you have??  Looks Cool & fast!!!!

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-02 11:28 AM

(P-StarHR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
P-StarHR.jpg (92KB - 12 downloads)
2011-01-02 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3272363

User image

Expert
Canada
elena verdegaal - 2011-01-02 12:49 PM Hi!  My name is Elena.  I

However, I found a group of girlfriends that are committed to training for our first sprint tri this year. So excited! 

When is your sprint?

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-02 11:37 AM
2011-01-02 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3272345

User image

Expert
Canada
hooliemay - 2011-01-02 12:41 PM Hi guys. Got room for one more Canadian?

Do you think it's okay to put off biking until the snow disappears or should I hope on an indoor one at the gym?

I'm not Jen, but am never at a loss for something to say.  Besides I'm bored, injured & have 2 days off!!

Another Canadian...Definitely!!

Personally, I would get doing some biking whenever you can.  Exercise bike, whatever you can.  Helps get your cycling legs, which are different from running & swimming legs.  Tends to be easier o n your joints, etc, so good cardio, instead of running everyday in a cold alberts winter!!

JMHOCool 
2011-01-02 11:55 AM

User image

Virginia Beach -- Rudee Inlet
Hey...I would LOVE to be in this group.   

NAME: nvandyke/Natalie Van Dyke (call me Nat.)Laughing

STORY: Took on my very first triathlon in Sept 2010 as a 41yr old.  (Midlife crisis response?...Yeah, well maybe. Wink)  Ran the Big Lick Oly Triathlon which happened to be, I found out later, the Mid Atlantic Collegiate Championship, and one TOUGH COURSE.  As far as the sport goes, I run...but wouldn't call myself a runner and I am more of a "not drowner" than a swimmer, possessing all of the grace and speed of a shark bitten otter.  I would however call myself a biker.  Of the three sports, this is where my natural talent lies, and I truly enjoy cranking peddles.  Having confessed my failings, I am still one stubborn Irish broad, and for some ridiculous reason, triathlon appeals to me.  I am far from a natural athlete, I find all of it very challenging, I grind and scrape for every scintilla of improvement, and really have to work for it each day.  THUS MY HOPES FOR WORKING WITH A GROUP.  The good news is though, I have a pretty good sense of humor, don't take my self terribly seriously, and this generally allows me to have fun even through the tribulations.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married for 17yrs to a supportive, but couch potato-esq husband.  Injury/illness prevent him from working out w/me to the degree he would like.  He's a former Navy Seal though, so he has a "been there/done that" sort of attitude regarding endurance sports.  He's my biggest cheerleader.

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Been sort of  laissez-faire since October, doing only 5k training runs, spending more time with family, and banking some "spousal approval" units knowing I would hit it hard again come January...when I set the schedule though, it is law.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 My BIG GOAL for the season is the PATRIOT HIM in Williamsburg, VA Sept 10th, 36 Weeks from yesterday.  Would like to complete several Sprints (April, May and June, I'm thinking) and at least one Oly before then (probably late July/early Aug), but have not settled on which of those "B-Level" races to pursue yet.  Considering chasing a points total goal for my AG in the Virginia Triathlon Series, so I am choosing events carefully.  (Still wondering if  this is too lofty a pursuit in only my second season of triathlon, but hey...if I'm gonna be crazy I say go full tilt.)

WEIGHTLOSS: Over the holidays, I've gained 12lbs since my Sept 25th 2010 race weight low of 122, so I am obviously anxious to have THOSE drop off once again. I am 5' 8" tall though, and a great deal of my weight is indeed muscle, so I'm not exactly zoftig at my current 134lbs.  My bathing suit and my skinny jeans will be happy to see my training amped up once again though, and with the parade of Christmas cookies, and various holiday cheese balls at an end, I'm sure I'll be back down around 125lbs in no time.

WHY I WANT TO BE YOUR MENTEE:
  To be perfectly blunt about it, because I am a feedback .  I thrive on peer pressure, and when people are kicking my butt/encouraging me, I just really, really REALLY perform much better.  Also, because one of the first things I noticed was another mentee in this group, CHRISSIE, apparently is also going after the goal of running the Patriot HIM, so I thought we could push one another and offer some accountability toward showing up at the starting line come September!

2011-01-02 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3272446

User image

Expert
Canada
nvandyke - 2011-01-02 1:55 PM Hey...I would LOVE to be in this group.   

NAME:(call me Nat.)Laughing

banking some "spousal approval" units 

Hey Nat,

I gotta remember that one..."spousal approval units".  I might need that one any day!

Thanks.  You are already a useful participant!!!Cool

R

2011-01-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3272039

User image

Champion
Calgary
GoGoGo - 2011-01-02 3:15 AM

BigDH - 2011-01-01 11:57 PM I have two. A cervelo p2sl that I have no ridden since august 09. But it is a sweet ride. My other bike is a touring bike and it is my commuter. Bit it is falling apart and I will be lucky if I get another summer if riding to work out of it. Looking forward to getting a new one sometime this summer it next winter.

A Cervelo...Haven't ridden since 2009?   Why?  A very nice Tri-bike.

Are you replacing the commuter or the Cervelo?

Well I haven't done a triathlon since August 2009 so that is mostly the reason. No real time for riding anymore.

Need to replace the commuter, it has these old gears that you can't get anymore and the entire thing would have to be retrofitted, apparently, which would be more money than it is worth type of thing.
2011-01-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3272446

User image

Veteran
nvandyke - 2011-01-02 12:55 PM Hey...I would LOVE to be in this group.   

CHRISSIE, apparently is also going after the goal of running the Patriot HIM, so I thought we could push one another and offer some accountability toward showing up at the starting line come September!

Awesome!!  No one but you guys know that the Patriot Half is on my goal list for this year!!  My hubby is training for the Washington Half in October, but I'm doing the MCM the next day, so I needed a Half earlier in the season!  I haven't even told him about my plans yet...so I'm definitely going to need some accountability to actually complete that race!!!

Where are you located?  I'm in NC right across the border from Chesapeake (Hampton Roads).

2011-01-02 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3272433

User image

Champion
Calgary
GoGoGo - 2011-01-02 10:41 AM

hooliemay - 2011-01-02 12:41 PM Hi guys. Got room for one more Canadian?

I'm not Jen, but am never at a loss for something to say.  Besides I'm bored, injured & have 2 days off!!

Another Canadian...Definitely!!

Personally, I would get doing some biking whenever you can.  Exercise bike, whatever you can.  Helps get your cycling legs, which are different from running & swimming legs.  Tends to be easier o n your joints, etc, so good cardio, instead of running everyday in a cold alberts winter!!

JMHOCool 

I'll second that for sure. Although spending the first part of the yer on trainers and treadmills can get awfully boring, beat be finding some good music or movies to watch.
2011-01-02 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So ten minutes of yoga yesterday and I feel all stiff in my lats and abs today.

Anyway, off for a longish run soon.
2011-01-02 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3272541

User image

@Crissy(Sorry I spelled your name wrong before.) -- I completely know what you mean.  I have only mentioned in passing to my husband, "I think I might be considering doing a HIM..."  I decided pretty definitively within 5hrs of completing my OLY I would chase the Patriot HIM, but for me at least it's a scary goal to say out loud.  Heck, when I first heard myself say the words in public to coworkers last year, "I am going to run a triathlon in September"  I felt myself grow a little dizzy and nauseated. All in all a public pelvic exam is the only thing I can think of which could have possibly made me feel more exposed.  Now, the thought of telling people I am amping up the goal to a 70.3...well...yeah.  That same feeling is there again a little bit.

I live in Virginia Beach, right down by the shore.  Great for training, unless I am trying to do hill work in which case...there just aren't any. (A fact which was abundantly clear in my first race.)  I am able to practice open water swims in the Chesapeake Bay "seasonally" which is wonderful, and there are plenty of running trails around.  Biking is somewhat more challenging, especially in the summertime with beach tourist traffic, but there are ways of getting it done....at least there were.  The time/training committment for the HIM will be a new challenge, no doubt about it. 

I myself would LOVE to do the Marine Corp Marathon in DC, but frankly a solitary Marathon is more frightening to me than a 70.3.  If I'm feeling good and strong in July, I may add it to list of goals for the year....it's a long shot right now though. (Would have aimed hard at the Shamrock 1/2, but registration is full, darn it.)

2011-01-02 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3272649

User image

Veteran
I know where you are!!  We ran out of FKS yesterday...thought the Cape Henry Trail was going to be clear!!!  WRONG...wound up running the sidewalk up Great Neck Road!  Of course, I picked the side of the road that had tons of snow and ice on it!!!  We're planning on doing a lot more runs out of First Landing this year, the trails there are awesome!!  I also want to join the FKS team in the bay swims this season!!!  
2011-01-02 3:55 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Hello, I'd like to join.  I'll post some info about me later this evening.
2011-01-02 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
is there still room for one more?  i would really like to join this group, but if you already have too many let me know!
2011-01-02 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3272689

User image

crisi13 -   We're planning on doing a lot more runs out of First Landing this year, the trails there are awesome!!  I also want to join the FKS team in the bay swims this season!!!  

That's super!!  We'll have to work out together sometime.  First Landing is where I do about 80% of my training.  I like getting out of the water (Chesapeake Bay) from the swim and hitting the trails straight away on my run.  I am also able to do hill repeats (such as they are...)out there on my road bike.

The Final Kick Sports crew I have met all seem pretty great, but I confess I don't know them all that well.   I swim with them occassionally, but almost everyone on the Mon/Wed group can kick my butt royally so historically it has felt a lot like swimming alone anyway.  (Hoping that changes this year.)  They have always helped me when I need gear locally though, and the micro sprint "practice triathlon" they happened to run two weeks before my actual triathlon I found to be INVALUABLE!!  I will always be in their debt for that little primer.  For group bike rides, I hang with the Fat Froggers crowd more often.  I started riding with them and it just seemed to fit, so I kept doing it.       
2011-01-02 4:41 PM

Hi jen,

I would like to join your group if you still have open spots 

NAME: Chaf

STORY: i am 33 years old, computer engineer, overweight and tire of routine. I watch an iron-man special on cnbc and got motivated to take partin one, which is my ultimate goal. i have worked out on and off:running/weightlifting mostly. I can swim/run/bike and have access to a pool and own a mountain bike. longest i run is 60min. I am looking for someone to mentor me through completing an iron man and you are one of the few who has done that. i have a 9-5 job and can workout early mornings and evenings.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married

CURRENT TRAINING: none, need help picking a beginner tri program.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: none

2011 RACES:  have not decided/reaearched yet. need some guidance of where to start (marathon?half? tris?)

WEIGHTLOSS: need to loose about 30-40lb so will watch what i eat for sure and the the tri program i should be able to get there this year

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE :  I am motivated and I listen. 

2011-01-02 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3272363

User image

elena verdegaal - 2011-01-02 10:49 AM Hi!  My name is Elena.  I'm not sure how this all works, but I'd like to give it a "tri'! 

About me:  When I was 38 (i'll be 40 in a few weeks)I decided I wanted to attempt a triathlon.    

Hi, Elena!

I did my first Tri two weeks after my 41st B-day, so rest assured it can be done!  Start by killing the word "attempt" from your vocabulary and begin saying on a regular basis, "I am doing a traithlon on MM/DD/YYYY".  It's a scary statement (see my other post to Crissy...) but it HELPS.  Builds conviction and committment.  Laughing 
2011-01-02 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3272039

User image

GoGoGo - 2011-01-02 4:15 AM
BigDH - 2011-01-01 11:57 PM I have two. A cervelo p2sl that I have no ridden since august 09. But it is a sweet ride. My other bike is a touring bike and it is my commuter. Bit it is falling apart and I will be lucky if I get another summer if riding to work out of it. Looking forward to getting a new one sometime this summer it next winter.

A Cervelo...Haven't ridden since 2009?   Why?  A very nice Tri-bike.

Are you replacing the commuter or the Cervelo?

A CERVELO IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE....PUMP YOUR TIRES MAN AND GO!!
2011-01-02 5:00 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
I'm hoping since the title still says open you have room for me.

Name:  KeriKadi/Keri

Story:  Joined a running group February 2009 to shed some weight and get my butt back in gear.  One day a gal mentioned Tri Girl and my ears perked up.  I signed up for the tri later that day.  I didn't own a bike and had never swam a lap.  I thought I could swim but it turns out I just play a mean Marco Polo.  First tri was May 2009 and I was hooked, did 5 sprints that year.  In 2010 I was plagued with injuries first an IT Band issue which really hurt my first Oly in April then a stress fracture in my heel later in the season.  Oly in the spring, Sprint in the summer and finished my season with my first HIM in November, still injured with the stress fracture.  Also did a couple of family relays where I was the swimmer.

Family Satus: Married to KenOtt (here on BT) and Mom to 5 kids - 2 teenage boys, girls are 8, 7 and 3.5.  We also have a dog turtle and an FFA pig our son is raising.

Current Training:  Just got back on the wagon!  Took a much too long break after my HIM.

This Years Races:  Gateway to the Bay Oly 4/3, Bridgeland Sprint 8/6, Houston Oly 9/25 and the HIM I did last year 11/6.  Probably toss in a couple of 5Ks and maybe a relay or 2.

Weightloss: 5-10 would be great but not a big focus for me, I put in the training, try to eat well and let the chips (kettle please) fall where they may.

What makes me a good mentee: I'm a talker and check the boards a lot.  I keep my logs up to date and am an inspire fool.
2011-01-02 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3272835

User image

KeriKadi - 2011-01-02 5:00 PM I'm hoping since the title still says open you have room for me.

Name:  KeriKadi/Keri

Story:  I thought I could swim but it turns out I just play a mean Marco Polo. 
Weightloss: try to eat well and let the chips (kettle please) fall where they may.

I like you already, Keri.  We are gonna get along great. Wink 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35