BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-03-29 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3419503

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
juniperjen - 2011-03-29 10:23 AM

Hey guys - sorry i've been mia for the last week or so. As mentioned I am transitioning to a new job and this past weekend I did my 30k run.  I am not super impressed with my effort - the time is good, it was just a slog and i should have been better able to manage that effort.  Anyway, on to the next thing! :D

Debbie: sorry to hear about your basement!

So, i'll be catching up over the next day or so!

wow, you have a lot goin' on, Jen!  congrats on finishing your race this past weekend - even though you're not "super impressed" with how you did, your time still looks pretty good to me and you DID IT!!

2011-03-30 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Pro
Houston

Sorry about the basement Debbie.

Jen - I would love to have a race like that, nice job!

I got new shoes and ran in them Monday and it went well. I will go for a little run in them today and hope to not have any issues on race day. I went from Asics to Saucony so they are different for sure but so far so good!

So my big race is this weekend and I am SUPER excited! I can't remember being this excited about a race. My husband, oldest son and good friend are volunteering and I have tons of friends racing so it will be a great time! One of the benefits of being slow is you have more people cheering you on at the finish line. LOL

WHO is racing next? C'mon folks our little MG group here is moving pretty slow, we gotta keep the ball rolling.

I never did answer the question about race day going wrong. Luckily I haven't had any major mishaps. For my 3rd or 4th sprint I high centered about 200m off shore and when I pushed off I realized I was caught on a boulder covered in oysters that sliced my hands/fingers and cut off the tip of one of my thumbs. I had skin dangling off my hands/fingers and there was blood on everything. Not a good time but I got through it and it turned out to be one of my best races.

The only other issue I have had was with temperature. My HIM was in November which is downright cold for most of the country but down here it's usually pretty nice. Unfortuately we had a major temp drop the week of the race and I was scrambling to buy full finger gloves and figure out what my wardrobe would be. Here in Houston we usually wear the same thing for the whole race - trui suit or top and shorts but before getting on the bike everyone had to put clothes ON. I added arm warmers and a bike jersey as well as the gloves and those are hard to put on when you are wet and your hands/fingers are numb. The run was perfect though, turned out to be a great day.

2011-03-30 9:53 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I got a race! On Sunday. 10k. Really looking forward to it. Big buffet breakfast after, super cool door prizes. Was going to go for a pr but now the weather says 15-20cm of snow on Saturday, so yeah, that will be fun....

Good thing a run a pair of sweet trail shoes at my 50k last month, just picked them up, was wondering when I would use them, guess I know now.
2011-03-31 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Aw, thanks - you guys are the best!  I'll probably do my race report this weekend.

Darren - awesome - can't beat a race with a big buffet breakfast!

2011-03-31 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3422002

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
KeriKadi - 2011-03-30 3:27 PM

I got new shoes and ran in them Monday and it went well. I will go for a little run in them today and hope to not have any issues on race day. I went from Asics to Saucony so they are different for sure but so far so good!

So my big race is this weekend and I am SUPER excited! I can't remember being this excited about a race. My husband, oldest son and good friend are volunteering and I have tons of friends racing so it will be a great time! One of the benefits of being slow is you have more people cheering you on at the finish line. LOL

WHO is racing next? C'mon folks our little MG group here is moving pretty slow, we gotta keep the ball rolling.

I never did answer the question about race day going wrong. Luckily I haven't had any major mishaps. For my 3rd or 4th sprint I high centered about 200m off shore and when I pushed off I realized I was caught on a boulder covered in oysters that sliced my hands/fingers and cut off the tip of one of my thumbs. I had skin dangling off my hands/fingers and there was blood on everything. Not a good time but I got through it and it turned out to be one of my best races.

The only other issue I have had was with temperature. My HIM was in November which is downright cold for most of the country but down here it's usually pretty nice. Unfortuately we had a major temp drop the week of the race and I was scrambling to buy full finger gloves and figure out what my wardrobe would be. Here in Houston we usually wear the same thing for the whole race - trui suit or top and shorts but before getting on the bike everyone had to put clothes ON. I added arm warmers and a bike jersey as well as the gloves and those are hard to put on when you are wet and your hands/fingers are numb. The run was perfect though, turned out to be a great day.

Whoa! Now that's dedication! Did you get fixed up when you got out of the water or did you bike like that too?

2011-03-31 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3423042

User image

Pro
Houston
juniperjen - 2011-03-31 8:29 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-03-30 3:27 PM

Whoa! Now that's dedication! Did you get fixed up when you got out of the water or did you bike like that too?

I biked and ran like that. Honestly biking was the hardest because my hands were killing me. I would take a sip of water and spit it on my hands. Some folks got cut up on their knees and the tops of their feet which was really tough.

2011-03-31 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3422002

User image

Upstate NY

Did one of those fun 5 mile trail races though mud and water crossings.  (This one was taken after the large water crossing)  Guess I could call it a brick workout right?

Our club dressed up as Super heros and villains.

(P1000567.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
P1000567.jpg (98KB - 17 downloads)
2011-03-31 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3423290

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
RobbyN210 - 2011-03-31 11:05 AM

Did one of those fun 5 mile trail races though mud and water crossings.  (This one was taken after the large water crossing)  Guess I could call it a brick workout right?

looks like fun, although i don't think i could have run with that mask on!

2011-04-01 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
This is a question for all you ladies...if you worked out when pregnant, where did you get workout clothes to fit?  i am not at the point yet, but want to start thinking about it because i know it is a matter of time.
2011-04-01 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3424299

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
kpringle - 2011-03-31 6:49 PM

Agree - wasn't the mask sweaty?? did you have to hose off before going inside?? hahaha!!

2011-04-01 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3424951

User image

Pro
Houston

debbiereid06 - 2011-04-01 7:59 AM This is a question for all you ladies...if you worked out when pregnant, where did you get workout clothes to fit?  i am not at the point yet, but want to start thinking about it because i know it is a matter of time.

I found shorts at Motherhood maternity - they were kind of like bike shorts I had one pair with a long rise that came up on my belly and two pairs that were below the belly - I liked those best. I bought a couple of cheap XL tanks at Target and some tanks at Gap Maternity as well.

Lululemon has some awesome low rise running shorts that would be great for maternity but they are a bit pricey, the good news is you could wear them after.

2011-04-01 9:24 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I am sick. This is so odd, I never get sick. However, the other day I was reading my race report from this same race last year and in my run comments I said something about having a cold or not feeling well earlier in the week. And here I am. Sore throat, aches and last night I had the hot/cold chills thing going on. Really hoping I get better as today goes on. Unfortunately, either way I will not be 100% Sunday and that really bums me out, I was so excited. Frown
2011-04-01 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3425114

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

KeriKadi - 2011-04-01 10:24 AM I am sick. This is so odd, I never get sick. However, the other day I was reading my race report from this same race last year and in my run comments I said something about having a cold or not feeling well earlier in the week. And here I am. Sore throat, aches and last night I had the hot/cold chills thing going on. Really hoping I get better as today goes on. Unfortunately, either way I will not be 100% Sunday and that really bums me out, I was so excited. Frown

shoot, keri...  hope you feel better!  try to get lots of rest between now and sunday.  good luck!!

2011-04-01 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3424951

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

debbiereid06 - 2011-04-01 8:59 AM This is a question for all you ladies...if you worked out when pregnant, where did you get workout clothes to fit?  i am not at the point yet, but want to start thinking about it because i know it is a matter of time.

the most i really did when more than 5 months pregnant is walking.  if i went to the gym to walk on treadmill, i'd just wear draw string yoga pants and a t-shirt (either maternity or my husband's!).  old navy's maternity t-shirts are reasonably priced. 

2011-04-01 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3425114

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

KeriKadi - 2011-04-01 10:24 AM I am sick. This is so odd, I never get sick. However, the other day I was reading my race report from this same race last year and in my run comments I said something about having a cold or not feeling well earlier in the week. And here I am. Sore throat, aches and last night I had the hot/cold chills thing going on. Really hoping I get better as today goes on. Unfortunately, either way I will not be 100% Sunday and that really bums me out, I was so excited. Frown

Oh no!! Hope that it goes away asap!!  Either way, go out there (if you can) and have a great time!

2011-04-03 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3425057

User image

Upstate NY
juniperjen - 2011-04-01 9:55 AM
kpringle - 2011-03-31 6:49 PM

Agree - wasn't the mask sweaty?? did you have to hose off before going inside?? hahaha!!

Yeah I thought I would have been warm, but the it was a cool day.  The worst thing about the mask was the lack of peripheral vision running through the woods.  Almost knocked over a few people and got whacked with some branched and trees.  All fun!

2011-04-03 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3419376

User image

Memphis
debbiereid06 - 2011-03-29 8:26 AM

Mylissa-have fun in the mountains.  That is awesome!

Darren-great job on the running!  You always impress me!

I haven't been on as much, except to log my workouts.  Our basement flooded a couple of weekends ago and everything has to come out so we can get a sump pump put in and it has been very time consuming packing everything down there.  I have been swamped at work too.  Missed my workout sunday, but my body was telling me to sleep and so I did.  I guess 4 workouts isn't too bad, just gotta keep it up!

Debbie, I've heard about the crazy weather up there! Great job doing ANYTHING in your first trimester! You are doing awesome. Great job. 

2011-04-03 7:57 PM

User image

Memphis

Hey friends, wanted to check back in with everyone - can't wait to hear from Keri, who busted out her Oly today while sick (this amazes me) and Jen, can't wait to see that race report! 

Well, I've made some good gains with the shoulder - twice daily exercises take me about 25-30 minutes each session, which is completely boring. BUT, today, for the first time since March 13, I DID A FULL ARM CIRCLE! Sort of a swim stroke, just testing it out. Crazy, cause I couldn't even raise my arm to shoulder height just a few days ago. Ran just a little today, had been obeying the PT orders which was to do NOTHING while we were attempting to get the inflammation in the join down. Feeling fine, so will probably attempt to get some runs in this month and rebuild. We are in the mountains this month - not sure how I'm feeling about biking here but can probably get out and do that too  

Hope everyone is well! 

2011-04-03 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey guys, Good little race today in icy crappy conditions.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Plan for the week, oh I don't know.

Take it easy, it is supposed to be an off week but I want to get a 35k in set for next week done this week so I can taper a bit for my HM on the 17th.

So, a bit of running. 2 key workouts with a VO2 Max and the 35 k long, might throw some tempo and marathon pace in the 35k.

I am feeling super strong these days, managed three weeks of 100+ k running in a row and don't really feel a need to stop, but we will see. Be nice to get another 100k week in though...
2011-04-04 6:26 AM

User image

Veteran

Had a pretty good run yesterday.  Had to slow it down a bit, dr.'s orders and i don't like it, but what can you do.

So frustrated this morning!  got up and got to the gym at 5:05 and the employee wasn't there to unlock the doors!  A bunch of us waited and at 5:30 most of us left.  I even toyed with staying in bed because my daughter had a rough night and got up a lot and then I get to the gym and no workout for me.  Yell

2011-04-04 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3428225

User image

Champion
Calgary
debbiereid06 - 2011-04-04 5:26 AM

Had a pretty good run yesterday.  Had to slow it down a bit, dr.'s orders and i don't like it, but what can you do.

So frustrated this morning!  got up and got to the gym at 5:05 and the employee wasn't there to unlock the doors!  A bunch of us waited and at 5:30 most of us left.  I even toyed with staying in bed because my daughter had a rough night and got up a lot and then I get to the gym and no workout for me.  Yell

aghhhhhh, that would so freak me out if the gym wasn't open when I dragged my sorry self out of bed.

2011-04-04 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

nice race report, darren!  sounds like it was a fun (although slippery) time! 

keri - how did your race go?  hope you had fun!

we're heading to florida tomorrow for 6 days - hope i can keep up with the training while on vaca...

have a great week, everyone!!

2011-04-06 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3429348

User image

Memphis

Kristen, have a GREAT vacation!!! It's freezing in the mtns, would love a little warmth. It was sleeting yesterday all morning!

kpringle - 2011-04-04 3:37 PM

we're heading to florida tomorrow for 6 days - hope i can keep up with the training while on vaca...

2011-04-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3431918

User image

Champion
Calgary
mylissahorrocks - 2011-04-06 6:49 AM

Kristen, have a GREAT vacation!!! It's freezing in the mtns, would love a little warmth. It was sleeting yesterday all morning!

kpringle - 2011-04-04 3:37 PM

what type of sabatical are you on anyways?
2011-04-07 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Well guys, looks like we've moved to archives - by all means continue to check in and inspire one another but new mentor groups for the spring are popping up!

I won't be continuing with this group since my work commitments are changing as of next week and i suspect i'll be quite a bit busier but i encourage you to continue and join another new group.  It's been great to be along with all of you on this journey for the early part of this year when training can be the toughest!

Kristen: enjoy your vacation!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35