Other Resources My Cup of Joe » House Republicans planning to ignore CBO numbers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-06 10:43 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: House Republicans planning to ignore CBO numbers

And replace them with their own.

House Republicans to Weaken Anti-Deficit Rules to Ease Tax Cut Approvals

"This flies in the face of a House Republican pledge to provide fiscal discipline,” said Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, the top Democrat on the Budget Committee. “Whether we like it or not, the CBO is the referee on the field,” and “the approach they are taking is when you don’t like the ruling of the referee, you throw him off the field.”

I find this troubling and worrying.  Even in the past, when both sides didn't agree, they at least left the CBO alone. 

2011-01-06 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3282084

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: House Republicans planning to ignore CBO numbers

Awesome.

Now we get to have the Dems saying:  "Look...they aren't upholding their campaign promises:

While the Repubs say:  "But look at what they did do and where they started from"

Same things as last year, only the other side is saying it.  Love it!

2011-01-06 10:49 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Just asking becuse I do not know but can anyone show me a instence where the CBO has been right on the cost of a major program?
2011-01-06 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
crowny2 - 2011-01-06 11:43 AM

"This flies in the face of a House Republican pledge to provide fiscal discipline,” said Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, the top Democrat on the Budget Committee. “Whether we like it or not, the CBO is the referee on the field,” and “the approach they are taking is when you don’t like the ruling of the referee, you throw him off the field.”

I find this troubling and worrying.  Even in the past, when both sides didn't agree, they at least left the CBO alone. 

No they have never left the CBO alone they have always played the game of working arond the CBO to get the numbers they want such as counting 10 years of revenue but only 6 years of outlay to get the OC numbers to work for them.
2011-01-06 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
crowny2 - 2011-01-06 10:43 AM

Actually, no, they haven't left the CBO alone. They have simply manipulated the figures the CBO could provide, as in the case of healthcare reform. Sure, you can make it appear as though the changes to healthcare won't add to the deficit over the next 6 years when you don't count the additional 4 years we'll be paying for it.

The CBO may attempt to be non-partisan. But that doesn't mean the reports and projections it produces are accurate or non-politicized.

2011-01-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3282132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
scoobysdad - 2011-01-06 10:53 AMThe CBO may attempt to be non-partisan. But that doesn't mean the reports and projections it produces are accurate or non-politicized.

The CBO itself has even publicly stated such.  They can only use the "numbers" given to them members of Congress.

2011-01-06 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
At any rate, I'm willing to give this Congress one month to get their ducks in a row and start the pig slaughter.  Pay-go was a farce, cut-go could possibly be a farce, I'm not holding my breathe, but I'll give them a little time.

ETA: Also, one thing I had not considered (and I think I'm correct on this) as far as spending is concerned is that many "programs" can be defunded if 'pubs hold to their promises in the House.  Whereas, the House would reject even voting on spending/funding bills to existing programs...I could be wrong though.

Edited by VeganMan 2011-01-06 11:14 AM
2011-01-06 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I'm going to make a bold prediction:

The deficit will rise in the next 10 years.

I know. Going out on a limb aren't I?
2011-01-06 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3282250

User image

Champion
mr2tony - 2011-01-06 12:25 PM I'm going to make a bold prediction: The deficit will rise in the next 10 years. I know. Going out on a limb aren't I?

And we shall  call him Karnak!
2011-01-06 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3282107

User image

Master
Denver
trinnas - 2011-01-06 9:49 AM
No they have never left the CBO alone they have always played the game of working arond the CBO to get the numbers they want such as counting 10 years of revenue but only 6 years of outlay to get the OC numbers to work for them.

That's a great talking point, but in fact wrong.  Their analysis (see the 4th slide here) does actually use 10 years.  But even if they did compare 10 years of revenue to 6 years of outlay, by that logic analyzing a parents saving for college (18 years of revenue vs 4 years of outlay) would make no sense either.

I'm not saying the CBO is totally immune to being polticized, but overall I think they do an extremely good job of being non-partisan.  I'm sure if they had come out and said the healthcare bill will crater the budget the Repubs would be treating it as holy scripture.  The CBO even states though that while their estimates for 10 years out show a reduction to the deficit, in the long run the associated costs might not be sustainable.  But I guess the reform proponents made them put that in there, so in reality since the CBO is so twisted that really means it IS sustainable?

Whether the estimate is exactly right on or wildly off, both sides have agreed to use the CBO as the arbitor of the costs of legislation - to me the main point is how quickly the republicans were to do to the dems what they complained about when they were out of power - for example, make exemptions to their own rules for things they disagree with, refuse to allow the other party to add amendments....  To me, the big story is the more things change, the more they stay the same...
2011-01-06 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
You guys act as though there are 2 sides to this argument.  both parties spend money like water, money we don't really have, they just spend it on different things.  Depends on where your sensibilities are as to who you support.  Both suck.

BTW Ms. Pelosi, don't tell me your Congress has been a pay as you go one.  One of fiscal responsibility.  Any politician who tells me to my face they are fiscally responsible should get punched.  Not srs, but srs.

2011-01-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3282362

User image

Champion
drewb8 - 2011-01-06 1:03 PM

That's a great talking point, but in fact wrong.  Their analysis (see the 4th slide here) does actually use 10 years.  But even if they did compare 10 years of revenue to 6 years of outlay, by that logic analyzing a parents saving for college (18 years of revenue vs 4 years of outlay) would make no sense either.

I'm not saying the CBO is totally immune to being polticized, but overall I think they do an extremely good job of being non-partisan.  I'm sure if they had come out and said the healthcare bill will crater the budget the Repubs would be treating it as holy scripture.  The CBO even states though that while their estimates for 10 years out show a reduction to the deficit, in the long run the associated costs might not be sustainable.  But I guess the reform proponents made them put that in there, so in reality since the CBO is so twisted that really means it IS sustainable?

Whether the estimate is exactly right on or wildly off, both sides have agreed to use the CBO as the arbitor of the costs of legislation - to me the main point is how quickly the republicans were to do to the dems what they complained about when they were out of power - for example, make exemptions to their own rules for things they disagree with, refuse to allow the other party to add amendments....  To me, the big story is the more things change, the more they stay the same...

I do believe the idea is they start collecting before they start paying not that numbers were ignored.

The CBO scores on the basis of what they are given whether what they are given is realistic or not eg the Medicare/Medicaid paynment reductions that were never going to materialize.  Congress was talking about the Dr. fix befor the ink was dry.  This is the fashion the game is played in the CBO does an excellent job aw what they are tasked with doing whether that resembles reality or no.

to me the main point is how quickly the republicans were to do to the dems what they complained about when they were out of power

And it took the Dems just as long to start whining about it color me surprised.
2011-01-06 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3282362

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

drewb8 - 2011-01-06 12:03 PM

This is what I tried to say and did NOT do a good job of saying.

2011-01-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3282466

User image

Champion
crowny2 - 2011-01-06 1:41 PM

drewb8 - 2011-01-06 12:03 PM

This is what I tried to say and did NOT do a good job of saying.

No the problem is that both sides have learned to manipulate the CBO to give them political cover.
2011-01-06 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3282412

User image

Master
Denver
trinnas - 2011-01-06 11:22 AM
I do believe the idea is they start collecting before they start paying not that numbers were ignored.

The CBO scores on the basis of what they are given whether what they are given is realistic or not eg the Medicare/Medicaid paynment reductions that were never going to materialize.  Congress was talking about the Dr. fix befor the ink was dry.  This is the fashion the game is played in the CBO does an excellent job aw what they are tasked with doing whether that resembles reality or no.

CBO scores the legislation though, not some made up numbers they are given just to make the bill look good.  Sure legislation has a lot of uncertainty which makes it hard to estimate the costs (and the CBO plainly states this), not to mention all the 'fixes' that are sure to come.  

But whether it bears resemblance to reality or no, these are the numbers congress agreed to use when assessing legislation (which is why an exception has to be inserted into the repeal legislation).  So to hear the repubs come in and proclaim a brand new era where everything will be paid for and then in their first order of business is to break their own rules and say 'except for this once because we're going to use our own numbers' is amusing.  Like their election pledge to cut $100b from the budget this year that now they're saying, 'well we didn't really mean this year'.  It's the same thing Obama ran into when he was elected - there is a huge chasm between telling people what they want to hear while on the election trail and the reality of governing.

And FWIW, I'm sure when the dems next regain power they'll do all the things to the repubs that they are complaining the repubs are doing to them now.  It's a never ending cycle of 'they-did-it-first".  Which is appropriate since the level of debate in Washington these days is about at the kindergarten level (which is being generous).
2011-01-06 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3282509

User image

Champion
drewb8 - 2011-01-06 1:56 PM
trinnas - 2011-01-06 11:22 AM

CBO scores the legislation though, not some made up numbers they are given just to make the bill look good.  Sure legislation has a lot of uncertainty which makes it hard to estimate the costs (and the CBO plainly states this), not to mention all the 'fixes' that are sure to come.  

But whether it bears resemblance to reality or no, these are the numbers congress agreed to use when assessing legislation (which is why an exception has to be inserted into the repeal legislation).  So to hear the repubs come in and proclaim a brand new era where everything will be paid for and then in their first order of business is to break their own rules and say 'except for this once because we're going to use our own numbers' is amusing.  Like their election pledge to cut $100b from the budget this year that now they're saying, 'well we didn't really mean this year'.  It's the same thing Obama ran into when he was elected - there is a huge chasm between telling people what they want to hear while on the election trail and the reality of governing.

And FWIW, I'm sure when the dems next regain power they'll do all the things to the repubs that they are complaining the repubs are doing to them now.  It's a never ending cycle of 'they-did-it-first".  Which is appropriate since the level of debate in Washington these days is about at the kindergarten level (which is being generous).

I am sorry but it is disingenuous for either side to hold up the shiny white cross of CBO martydom when they both have played the game.

2011-01-06 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3282509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
drewb8 - 2011-01-06 12:56 PM Sure legislation has a lot of uncertainty which makes it hard to estimate the costs (and the CBO plainly states this), not to mention all the 'fixes' that are sure to come.  

Which is a good reason to not pass legislation at all in most cases, because government interference with the free market in a free society is usually in the flavor of doing more harm than good.
2011-01-06 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3282551

User image

Master
Denver
VeganMan - 2011-01-06 12:12 PM
drewb8 - 2011-01-06 12:56 PM Sure legislation has a lot of uncertainty which makes it hard to estimate the costs (and the CBO plainly states this), not to mention all the 'fixes' that are sure to come.  

Which is a good reason to not pass legislation at all in most cases, because government interference with the free market in a free society is usually in the flavor of doing more harm than good.

Except when it's not
2011-01-06 1:23 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
To everyone who voted for a D or an R I say, you get what you deserve. Which in this case is inept, corrupt government.
2011-01-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3282548

User image

Master
Denver
trinnas - 2011-01-06 12:11 PM

I am sorry but it is disingenuous for either side to hold up the shiny white cross of CBO martydom when they both have played the game.

I think it's irrelevent what the CBO number is.  The bottom line is that congress agreed to use CBO as the arbitor of the costs fo legislation.  If the repubs felt that CBO would be unfairly influenced by the other side than they shouldn't have made that agreement.  But they did, so to loudly make a rule saying 'all legislation has to be paid for' and then say 'except for this once because we don't agree with the rules we agreed to' makes me laugh.  Nothing has changed, it's business as usual.
2011-01-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3282580

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
drewb8 - 2011-01-06 1:25 PM  Nothing has changed, it's business as usual.

I won't disagree.  Josh (right above you) has a great point. 

Einstein's definition of insanity resonates well here: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

2011-01-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3282580

User image

Champion
drewb8 - 2011-01-06 2:25 PM

I think it's irrelevent what the CBO number is.  The bottom line is that congress agreed to use CBO as the arbitor of the costs fo legislation.  If the repubs felt that CBO would be unfairly influenced by the other side than they shouldn't have made that agreement.  But they did, so to loudly make a rule saying 'all legislation has to be paid for' and then say 'except for this once because we don't agree with the rules we agreed to' makes me laugh.  Nothing has changed, it's business as usual.

So you mean like Dems and Pay-go.
2011-01-06 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3282608

User image

Master
Denver
trinnas - 2011-01-06 12:33 PM
drewb8 - 2011-01-06 2:25 PM

So you mean like Dems and Pay-go.

Yes, exactly.  It's all a lot of lip service to make people think momentus changes are happening while in reality, nothing is changing but the letter next to the House Speakers name.
2011-01-06 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I didn't see where anyone answered CBarnes' question.  In my mind, the CBO is irrelevant - they make projections, but there are way too many variables to come close to the right answer - the biggest uncontrollable variable being actions of future congresses - at the end of the day they come no closer to being correct than those climate models.

I think it is pretty simple - we know how much taxes we took in last year - don't spend more than that...

2011-01-06 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3282717

User image

Champion
PA
ashort33 - 2011-01-06 3:12 PM

I didn't see where anyone answered CBarnes' question.  In my mind, the CBO is irrelevant - they make projections, but there are way too many variables to come close to the right answer - the biggest uncontrollable variable being actions of future congresses - at the end of the day they come no closer to being correct than those climate models.

I think it is pretty simple - we know how much taxes we took in last year - don't spend more than that...

That is exactly how simple the balanced budget amendment should be written.  I might add that anyone voting to exceed it should be shot or hanged but I'm sure that might offend a few folks.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » House Republicans planning to ignore CBO numbers Rss Feed  

of 2