General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HM one week after full M - smart? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-12 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: HM one week after full M - smart?

Yep, it's one of those "I'm going to do X and want to know if it's advisable, even though you won't be able to talk me out of it" questions.

That I hate.

Anyhoo . . . The pains of my first marathon have all but receded into the furthest regions of my mind.  I promised my wife I would run the 500 mini with her on May 7th, but then it occurred to me "I am MARATHONER, to do just a half is beneath me!" 

So I'm considering signing up to run the Flying Pig marathon 6 days prior (and by considering, I mean I'm on week 3 of the training plan).

In all seriousness, I think I'll be okay.  After the first one, I ran 5 miles four days after the race, and then was back to regular running two days after that.  So if I don't totally blow up on Sunday, then running a comparatively slower pace (because I'll be running alongside my wife) on the following Saturday should be manageable.  The problem will be managing a reasonable pacing strategy during marathon (have tendency to go out too fast).

Sound reasonable?

2011-01-12 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3294958

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: HM one week after full M - smart?
Not smart
2011-01-12 12:42 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Discipline is the key! 

I ran a marathon on Friday night and a 30-mile trail run the next day and lived to tell about it.  I have a friend who's done the Tahoe Triple (3 marathons on successive days to circumnavigate Lake Tahoe).  There was a lady doing the 100-mile trail run last spring doing her 5th consecutive 100-miler (working on 13 consecutive).  The key is to know you're doing another race very quickly and "race" both with a viable plan. 

Flying Pig is a great race!  (Did it as my first marathon last spring.)  Are you planning to run the half with your bride, or simply both of you run the race?  You won't win any favors if the FP effort causes you to screw up her half-marathon day.  So if you go too hard in Cincy, shut-up and deal with it for the mini. 

2011-01-12 12:43 PM

User image

Runner
Yeah, sure, do what you want. Assuming that you have no real concern for performance in either race.
2011-01-12 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
If you are planning to race both, no.

Shane
2011-01-12 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3295024

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
If you're actually going to "race" the marathon, there's no way I'd even think about this, but that's just me.  You know how you recover and whether it's do-able for you.  For me, not only would I be worried about injury but I just wouldn't feel like doing it.  Marathons just flat wear me out - I usually need a month or so before I'm back to a "normal" level of running.

2011-01-12 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3295024

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

gsmacleod - 2011-01-12 1:44 PM If you are planning to race both, no.

Shane

Guess I didn't make that clear.  I'll give a race-worthly effort for the full, but understand that I'm going to race it quite conservatively, probably around 9.5 to 10.25 minute miles.  Maybe faster if training goes without incident and the speed work does something for me.  So if anything, I'll be more disciplined this time around (hit the wall back in October).

The half will be raced with my wife, who will probably be running 10.5 to 11 minute miles.  My primary roll will to be her entertainment/pacing buddy for the 13.1 miles.  And it won't kill her race if for some reason I need to bow out after 5 or 10, but I would really like to cross the finish line hand-in-hand with her.

2011-01-12 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Wow, a real glutton for punishment. Not only are you going to do this (in which case my question would be: what does it matter?) but then you PUBLICLY give us all the opportunity to say you're not being smart (I'm trying to be generous here).

Have a great time with it, and let us all know how it turns out.
2011-01-12 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3295230

User image

Pro
Houston
briderdt - 2011-01-12 1:42 PM Wow, a real glutton for punishment. Not only are you going to do this (in which case my question would be: what does it matter?) but then you PUBLICLY give us all the opportunity to say you're not being smart (I'm trying to be generous here).

What he said.

I did my first HIM injured.  I questioned whether I should at moments but didn't ask others if I should because I knew I was going to do the race either way. 
If you are going to do it, why ask if you are smart to do it?
2011-01-12 1:48 PM

User image

Master
The biggest issue is the risk of injury.
Then again, I have run the Goofy Challenge for the last three years at Disney (1/2 on Sat, Full on Sun). I usually just run for fun though, and the beating is a lot less.
I would say that you need to add some extra runs to your training plan. Like doing a long run on a saturday, and then half that distance on a sunday.  
Do that a few times in training to see if your body can take it.

It's only NOT smart if you hurt yourself. 
2011-01-12 1:58 PM

User image

You can do whatever you want.  If you don't plan to race either event...then yeah...people have done marathons, then done a long run the following weekend no problem.

Where I scratch my head is when I look at your race log and see your first marathon was a 4:40 or just under 11:00 pace.  You say you hit the wall...but from what I gather, you were trying to pace 9:45 the whole way...and failed to do that.  What makes you think you'll be able to run a 9.30-10:15 pace for this next marathon...and feel good enough to run a HM 6 days later at a faster pace than you should be doing your normal long runs?

Sure...4-5 months of training can give you some improvement...and it's very possible you could do this.  I just wouldn't advise it.

Sounds like you're going to do it regardless...so good luck.

2011-01-12 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Its  gonna hurt, and take a few days off after the HIM,
I am planning a OLY 2 weeks after a HIM and so 3 days recovery, 4days getting
everything to work again and then just a few light training sessions...what you want to do,
its going to be tough
2011-01-12 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3295240

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

KeriKadi - 2011-01-12 2:46 PM
briderdt - 2011-01-12 1:42 PM Wow, a real glutton for punishment. Not only are you going to do this (in which case my question would be: what does it matter?) but then you PUBLICLY give us all the opportunity to say you're not being smart (I'm trying to be generous here).

What he said.

I did my first HIM injured.  I questioned whether I should at moments but didn't ask others if I should because I knew I was going to do the race either way. 
If you are going to do it, why ask if you are smart to do it?

Partially to have a bit of fun, but also to see if I can gain any strategic/tactical insight from the collective BT wisdom on how to best make it work.  And yes, I am a glutton for punishment.

Tri808 - some good points, and certainly pacing is a bit of an unknown I hope to figure out a bit over some interim races and as the long runs increase.

But hey, based on my last race (4 mi), McMillan says I should be running a 4:05 marathon (9:23), and we know that's gotta be accurate, right?

2011-01-12 3:07 PM

User image

Pro
People did the Goofy Challenge this weekend that was a Half Marathon on Saturday and a Marathon on Sunday...
Your plan sounds a lot less crazy.

Be careful, train well, and have fun! 
2011-01-12 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Could you DO both? Sure. Go nuts.

Can't guarantee your performance will be stellar in either one, or that the second one will be all that fun and enjoyable, but hey....whatever floats your boat, man.
2011-01-12 4:53 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Like everyone has said, do what you want to do, but be mindful of potential overuse injuries.  Also, as others have said, don't expect your best performance on the second race, but since you're doing it for fun with your wife, no problem; just make sure you can keep up with her on your not fully recovered legs.  

I too am a "glutton for punishment" and others might think the way I stack races is not "smart" (but then again, I'm not doing it for others).  Plus, you don't know of what you are capable until you try.

2011-01-12 4:57 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Talk to someone who has done the "Goofy Challenge" by running a HM on Saturday followed by a full mary on Sunday.  I have never contemplated this, wouldn't even consider it for myself.....but there are those with strong run backgrounds who can take that kind of abuse. 
2011-01-12 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3295086

User image

Veteran
X2
2011-01-12 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Properly trained you'll be fine. Improperly trained you'll be miserable. From the looks of your training logs you need to up your training considerably.

People mentioned the Goofy Challenge. Out here we have the "doublers". These are people who do the Pikes Peak Ascent on Saturday, followed by the Pikes Peak Marathon on Sunday - a total of over 39 miles and over 15,000 feet of climbing. One guy - Matt Carpenter - has won both races on consecutive days. He's the only person to win both races on consecutive days, and he's done it twice.

Here's a little tip for this kind of stuff. Train like you'll be doing an ultra, not for a marathon.
2011-01-12 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3295464

User image

Master
Charlotte
ratherbeswimming - 2011-01-12 4:07 PM People did the Goofy Challenge this weekend that was a Half Marathon on Saturday and a Marathon on Sunday...

Running a half BEFORE a marathon (Goofy challege) is not the same thing as running AFTER a marathon.  I can barely walk for 2-3 days after a marathon and my body is depleted for a week or more.   

To the OP:  Not smart.  Why go half assed in two races when you could go all out at Indy with your wife?  Neither one of those races are cheap so save your money and race one or the other and take your wife out for a nice dinner with your FP marathon entry fee.

Edited by bgraboski 2011-01-12 6:41 PM
2011-01-13 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3295877

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

bgraboski - 2011-01-12 7:38 PM
ratherbeswimming - 2011-01-12 4:07 PM People did the Goofy Challenge this weekend that was a Half Marathon on Saturday and a Marathon on Sunday...

Running a half BEFORE a marathon (Goofy challege) is not the same thing as running AFTER a marathon.  I can barely walk for 2-3 days after a marathon and my body is depleted for a week or more.   

To the OP:  Not smart.  Why go half assed in two races when you could go all out at Indy with your wife?  Neither one of those races are cheap so save your money and race one or the other and take your wife out for a nice dinner with your FP marathon entry fee.

Fine, now I'll go from being cheeky to being defensive.  My working logic is that if I race the marathon smartly (i.e. in a disciplined manner), I will actually be better off than after my first one (where I ran 8 miles in the next 7 days).

And I'm wondering why it's so wrong if most training plans, including mine, have two or three 20 miles followed by little or no rest days.  Sure, I know they're to be done at a LSD pace, but what if we just consider the half to be a glorified active recovery run?

And to respond to the base question - sure, there could always be more.  I ran 1100+ miles in 2010, which isn't much to most "runners", but it was weighted to the second half of the year, and if everything goes to plan, I'll have 1,500 (trailing 12 months) prior to the marathon.

2011-01-13 7:23 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Sounds like I am going against the grain here and saying go for it.  If you properly train for your marathon you might be sore post marathon but not overly sore, and it should only last a day or two.  Course if you don't properly train..well, that was dumb.  Only time I was miserable post marathon was my training was derailed by a dislocated elbow at the peak of my training and I honestly shouldn't even have run the marathon.  It sounds like the HM will be kind of a light run for you, that your really going to support your wife, and your ok with stopping if you have to.  I honestly wouldn't want to do a long run so soon after a marathon but a lot of that is mental more then anything.  I'd get some nice easy spins in on the bike in between the two races and shake everything out, stretching, and lots of re-hydrating. 

2011-01-13 7:24 AM

User image

Runner
It all comes down to two things in my mind:

A) Goals
B) Your training

People run 100 miles straight, so doing a marathon and then a half marathon a week later is obviously doable. If you doubt it, go ask a member of the marathon maniacs about doing something like this.

If your goal is to do both, and you don't really care about your time, then you have A covered.

The next question is your training. In my experience, the more miles you have under your belt, the faster you recover. Also, the harder you run any given race, the more of an effect it will have. I've done back to back races, but they were shorter, and I was doing somewhere between 50-60 miles a week at the time. I have not looked at your logs, so I cannot comment on your training.

If you feel that you can do it, then do it. You obviously have it in your head to do so. What does it matter what the rest of us say at this point? You're the one that has spent the time doing the training; you should know your body far better than anyone else. If you think you can do it without issue, then do it, and ignore us.
2011-01-13 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3296491

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Hell, I'm just happy I was able to receive two posts from world-renowned guest blog columnist Scout7!  (Notice the lack of sarc font)

Listen, a lot can happen to derail things over the next 15 weeks, and I'm fully prepared to back out of the marathon if things go awry.  This whole scenario is of the best case variety.

But it seems the basic premise of those against is that I can't really race the marathon if I've got the half the following week.  That I don't get.

Now, on to trying to run like a Stoic

2011-01-13 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3296542

User image

Runner
roch1009 - 2011-01-13 8:51 AM

But it seems the basic premise of those against is that I can't really race the marathon if I've got the half the following week.  That I don't get.

Conventional wisdom. A full marathon, run at maximum capacity, takes a toll. Any race run at maximum capacity takes a toll, but a marathon it a long event. Considering most people who attempt the marathon are woefully undertrained, it's no surprise that recovery is longer. So yes, most people's experience points to not being able to perform in the half if you race the marathon.

It's possible to do. But as I stated, it takes training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HM one week after full M - smart? Rss Feed  

of 2