Calgary City Police
-2C / 28F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 59m 16s
Overall Rank = 443/1511
Age Group = m30-39
Age Group Rank = 119/253
Pre-race routine:

Well, it wasn't a great week. I did a 10k 2 weeks ago and wanted to be able to use that time to gauge my pace but the weather was crap 2 weeks ago so my time didn't really translate. So I did this killer workout on Tuesday, you know, to gauge my pace, I did 12k in 58.5 min which is smoking fast for me as I have never done a sub 50 10k before. Anyways, so yeah, my legs were garbage for the rest of the week, I ran easy every day but they just had no snap to them.

On top of that, on Friday I slept like 4 hours in the afternoon. Wasn't feeling that sick, just a little headache, but I don't know, must have had a little bug.

Anyways. Fish and rice and veg for dinner. Beer before bed. Slept okay. Up at 6. A bit of rice. A bit of sweet tea.

The weather was Crap again. And when I say crap, I mean crap. 2 cars in the ditch on the way there. Tons of snow. And it was still snowy, which is even worse than 2 weeks ago. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Event warmup:

So, get there around 7. Do about 2k of warm up run trying to get things moving. Don't really succeed but good enough I guess. Run into Barefoot Neil. Cool cat. Check him out here http://becauseallthecoolkidsaredoingit.blogspot.com/

So the race is at mount royal uni, and the start line is like right out the door, so around 8 I make my way towards it, the hallway is packed. Ha, people are lined up into the building. I think 2500 people there. Anyways, hit the head again, nothing. Finally wander out around 8:07, still snowing, still blowing. Not that cold but COME FRIGIN ON.

Get it started.
Run
  • 1h 59m 16s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 39s  min/km
Comments:

Well, I mean this run sucked. Again, I wanted to use this run as an indicator of my training for my marathon in May. Thankfully there were tons of other nutty people out there running in a spring blizzard. Started pretty good. I wanted to hit a 5:17 pace. Well, made it the first 1k at 5:17, and that is because it was down hill. Would be the fastest I ran during the race until the end, which is up the same hill.

Anyways, lots of people. I started pretty close to last I think so I spent the WHOLE race passing people. Probably passed, oh, I don't know, 1,000 people. I am silly this way. I hate the crowd at the start but then I end up elbowing my way through the crowd down the road.

Actually it wasn't that bad that often. First bit is on the road so lots of openings, then we run into the park onto the little paths. FRACK they were icy at spots. Couple down hills we ended up walking people were so skiddish. Couple people bailed, HARD, it looked like.

Anyways, picked my way through, felt good, the path way is in the trees so the wind and snow not so bad. Footing was horrible though. Ran into Neil on the course early on. Also ran into Fraser. Ran into Rob about half way.

At around 6k this speedy guy blows by everyone. He won the Glencoe 2 weekends ago, must have started late, he ended up taking 2nd overall, nifty to see him bounce through the course like that though.

Ran a bit with these speedy guys, one who is a barefoot runner, and his brother. Dude wasn't barefoot today. So that was kinda nice, moved at an okay pace for a while with then, but then invariably had to slow down for ice or giant friggin lake sized puddles. Hell, at one point for about 1k we were running through single track lumpy bumpy snow that was more like a poorly packed snowshoe trail than anything else.

So the run was good enough, then we climb out of the park, which is brutal but there were tons of people (for a day like today) some bag pipes, all chanting us up the hill. I think that is about 6k out, and the weather started to suck then. "Out of the trees you could really feel the wind and the snow. The road was pretty slippery with snow/slush. It sucked so bad. Serious gut check time out there.

Anyways, still passing people, passing tons of people. I mean line up upon line up of people. Where did all these people come from. Really poured it on at the end. Managed a 4:30 pace the last 400 meters (up the same little hill that started the race). Passed one of the few people who passed me during the race right near the end.
What would you do differently?:

I got to cowboy up and seed myself right. I think if I was running with some faster people instead of always passing people I would have been a bit faster. I had an artificial sense of my own speediness because of this.

I had that run tuesday, but I wouldn't take it back. This race is just part of a bigger picture.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, then ran back about 1k to find Neil. Crazy mother took his shoes off and was running. Ha. Anyway, I offered to carry his shoes and cheered him on to the finish. No shoes, crazy.

Got into the gym, had some grub, then sat around waiting for the awards. Too stiff after because of this. Should have done some yoga or something, I mean they had a group of people doing yoga right there, dumb dumb and lazy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Middle of heavy training. Whatcha going to do. Oh, and the WEATHER.

Ha. Oh, the Mcmillian calculator gives a spot on correlation between my 10k 2 weeks ago and my HM today. HA. So I guess if my marathon takes place in similar horrible conditions I can confidently use McMillian to set my pace.

Event comments:

Good for the RD for going ahead with the race in horrible conditions. lol. Wow. Good for the volunteers. Post race grub sucked, apples, bananas, cookies, muffins. Gee. A slice of bread or some cheese would have been nice. Maybe a hot cup of coffee.

Last updated: 2011-02-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:16 | 21.1 kms | 05m 39s  min/km
Age Group: 119/253
Overall: 443/1511
Performance: Good
Course: Nice run. I did have the course as a little long, 21.5, not sure because of the zigging and zagging due to the crappy conditions and crowds or what.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: Calgary Police Half Marathon

2011-04-18 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3453322

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Calgary Police Half Marathon
Good report.  Us slower runners had a bit of a better track through the weaselhead, but we didn't get any muffins at the end.  They must have run out.  It was a tough race.  We all deserve medals for finishing.  Oh yeah, I guess we did get medals...
2011-04-18 6:41 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You seem to have such *delightful* race weather!  Sheesh!  That was serious HTFU to run in weather like that.

2011-04-18 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3453604

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Kudos to EVERYONE on the course that day - you guys deserve a huge round of applause for just showing up given the conditions. And you did incredible - weather or no weather you put down a solid race.

I was volunteering at the 2K marker holding traffic off 50th - too bad I didn't know you or I would have cheered you on by name (other than the random "the Chief is beating you!" yelling I was doing, lol).

2011-04-18 9:28 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary
Congrats on running and finishing!  I'm not usually into the Police Half as the weather is hit or miss and I think it's mostly miss.  I did wait until the weather improved in the afternoon to get a 90 minute run in and didn't enjoy it too much; so kudos for all those suffering through the race.
2011-04-19 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3453828

User image

Champion
Calgary
bodhi_girl - 2011-04-18 8:07 PM

Kudos to EVERYONE on the course that day - you guys deserve a huge round of applause for just showing up given the conditions. And you did incredible - weather or no weather you put down a solid race.

I was volunteering at the 2K marker holding traffic off 50th - too bad I didn't know you or I would have cheered you on by name (other than the random "the Chief is beating you!" yelling I was doing, lol).

Wow thanks for coming out. Volunteering must have sucked even worse than racing, at least et were moving getting our blood flowing. Especially out on the road there. Stuck out there for what, like three hours. Wow. Super huge thanks for that. All the volunteers were so awesome.

2011-04-19 3:44 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Nice run considering the conditions..... End of May 'should' be better conditions for you.
2011-04-20 3:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Very interesting race report.....another challenging weather day for you.

Sounds like you realize you need to start up front more.

Nice race~

2011-05-08 9:49 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

Some of the fasties I was talking to (including Jordan who was the speedy guy who placed 2) were saying it was at least 4-8 mins slower. So you really did beat 2 hrs by a lot. Congrats!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Calgary Police Half Marathon Rss Feed