Pike Peak Tri Club Triathlon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 00m
Overall Rank = 19/20
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my first off road triathlon and it will probably be my last. Off road tris are a different animal. Boy how naive I was. This is a tri that's free and given for members of my tri club. I shouldn't have known something was wrong when it took forever to get 20 participants in a FREE race. Next time I'll know to read between the lines. The race as advertised was:
Free race to all members. Bike is off road and don't wear your good shoes cause they MIGHT get wet.
OK so it wasn't the fact that it was about 59 degrees when we got in the water, or that the water itself was in the low 60s. I had swam in the lake before many a times.
And it wasn't that I had never really ridden a mountain bike on a mountain bike course meaning off road in sand, over creeks and streams.
And it wasn't the hike a bike part where the road was literally washed out and you had to carry your bike up the side of a mountain slope in bike shoes.
And it really wasn't a problem that the first seven miles or so were all UP HILL on terrain that wasn't really road but more like the idea of a road.
And it wasn't the fact that the turnaround came at the end of one big hill and that I averaged about 3 miles an hour for the first TWO hours of a 14 mile bike segment.
What really got me about this race was the freakin' downhills. When you can hit 40 mph on a mountain bike then you know something is wrong. Very wrong. Omigod. Every fear I've had came raging like a cajun' on this triathlon. Geez I'm really surprised that I survived. Thanks to Beth who rode with me the whole way and encouraged me. She rocks. Woo Hoo.

Event warmup:

Road my rented mtb and fell in the RD's parking lot trying to switch gear. Then shredded my pant legs on the bike's chain thingy. I asked the RD if I could switch to the Swim/Run I was so nervous about the bike. But then Nic, the LBS guy and his wife Erin Beth convinced me I'd be fine on the bike. Yeah Right. I should have known if Nic said it was going to be OK that I was in trouble. Nic's been racing MTB all his life.
Swim
  • 19m
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a good swim. Wasn't last out of the water although I felt like I was swimming all alone. Felt really good and didn't get tired and turned it on at the end. But it took me a while to get started. I was pretty far behind in the first 200 m and I got off course on the long diagnol.
What would you do differently?:

Go out faster?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Sat down to put on my bike shoes. Enough said.
Bike
  • 3h 32m
  • 14 miles
  • 3.96 mile/hr
Comments:

There wasn't much gear changing as I stayed in my 1st or 2nd gears the entire time. Even on the down hills. To afraid to go too fast. As I said this was a tough course for me and many people thought I was (crazy) brave for taking it on. Most of the people in this race had been mountain biking for years upon years.
What would you do differently?:

Ummmm. Maybe go a little faster on the uphill, not ride my brake so much on the downhills. Stay on the bike more and not walk so much. But who am I kidding? This course scared the hell out of me. And I think I did just find considering.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Imgaine my surprise when I finished the bike course everyone was still THERE! Many had finished the race hours ago. Heck the winner finished the race in 1:39 but he and his wife and most of the other tri club members were still there drinking beer and cheering for me. After the bike I really wanted to quit. I was near tears when a volunteer asked me if I wanted to do the run. Hell no I didn't but hey, I'm am triathlete not a biathlete. And Woody our club pres said if you want to do the run we'll wait for you. And everybody cheered I think it was the beer talking but who cares. So I looked at Beth (who btw is a runner) and we decided to go for it. As a thank you for waiting Beth and I decided to pick up all the flags and course markers on the run.
Run
  • 50m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 16m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Awesome run. And I got to splash in water. How cool is that????
Post race
Warm down:

Ate chili, drank Corona and took home hardware! I won third place. So there were only four women in the race and Beth on came in after me cause she waited for me. But no caveats I earned my award (handmade by the RD who does great wood sculptures) and I'm proud of myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of skills in mountain biking and general fear. But hey I did it so I don't feel so bad.

Event comments:

All in all this was a great race because I got to meet others in my tri club and they waited for me. How cool is that? I probably would have gone home! :) Well not really but it's nice that such hardcore athletes did wait for me. I'm stoked and I have to thank Beth and Ben who babied me through the bike course and made me realized why I do this stuff - to test my limits and go beyond and to have a great freakin' time doing that.

Last updated: 2005-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:00 | 1000 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/20
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion
Course: It was a criss cross. So you swam diagnal across the lake and back. This was actually a great course set up. Short starts long middle short end.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:32:00 | 14 miles | 3.96 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Tough. You started out on dirt roads and went up hill on County Road 64. Soon you saw a sign that said, "No motorized vehicles beyond this point." The RD lives in a beautiful log cabin up in the mountains and this is where the course went straight into the mountains. I could imagine early settlers crossing those creeks and streams with their wagaons and thinking this is God's country it's more like hell! :) I was a mountain bike virgin and this course wasn't the right one to bust my cherry on. It was tough. I mean I was really thinking that I'd have paved road some of the time. No way. There were parts where literrally the road washed out and you had to ride your bike through water, sand and God knows what else. Beth, a cool triathlete, had ridden the course before and she agreed to ride with me. I felt so bad cause I was so slow but she said secretly she was afraid of Mountain biking too. Her husband Ben was riding SAG he of course is an excellent mountain biker. I am so glad Beth was there. She kept me from getting lost. One guy did going 8 miles out of the way. (He still beat me to the finish line go figure).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:00 | 03.11 miles | 16m 05s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: OK so the bike was off road and so was the run. You literally had to run through a creek. Not ALONG the creek but right through it as there was no road. Then there was this freakin' rock gulch that you had to climb. Needless to say I wasn't running there. Then you ran down a trail that was about as wide as my foot. But it was BEAUTIFUL. I mean wonderfully beautiful. And it was at that moment I realized why I loved living in Colorado. And talking to Beth was awesome. We had sooo much fun together.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-22 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Beaver Tail Trail Triathlon

2005-08-22 10:24 AM
in reply to: #230532

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Beaver Tail Trail Triathlon

You are one tough racer!!!  Great job!  Those offroads can really be hard - and I can only imagine what it must have been like if you didn't get to scout the course ahead of time! 

Wow, I'm super impressed

2005-08-22 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Geez sounds like torture to me.....I think I would have  chucked the bike off the mountain...  Kudos for finishing tho.  Hope you feel OK today -SMO
2005-08-22 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Wow Ovetta - way to go!!!  Sounds like a hell of a course, and to race it without scoping it out first is definitely brave.

I'm with you on mountain biking - I think it's WAY harder than all the uber-fit adrenaline junkie MTBers in Colorado make it look.  And it's the downhill that disturbs me the most.  I went downhill at Winter Park last summer and thought I was going to die - it took a year for me to get back on some single track!!

But trail running is another story - beautiful   Sounds like you enjoyed that part too!

2005-08-22 5:11 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
WOW Ovetta!  I am impressed!  You did great!  congrats on your very well earned 3rd place.  Sounds like a way cool group of people too!
2005-08-23 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Hey guys. Here's the topographical map of the bike route.

2005-08-23 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Awesome job O!!

-Frank
2005-08-23 3:49 PM
in reply to: #231811

User image

Master
Chicago

infosteward - 2005-08-23 9:41 AM Hey guys. Here's the topographical map of the bike route.

Sorry couldn't upload it too big but the race started at 7550 feet and went up to 8,700 feet with an average grade of 3% going up to 8% at one point and an average downhill grade of 5%. In the history of the race only eight women have completed the course (I being one of them woo hoo) so I dont' feel so bad.

2005-08-24 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Hoss, Hoss, Hoss.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beaver Tail Trail Triathlon Rss Feed