Ford Ironman
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 23m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 20/
Pre-race routine:

Set my alarm for 3:40am, but thought in my head that I'll be up by 2am at the latest. Actually woke up at 3:30am and got some decent sleep. The hotel that we stayed opened breakfast early for the IM and I had my usual 1/4 cup oatmeal w/ 1 banana, 1 tbsp crunchy pb, 1/2 cup yogurt sprinkled w/ some cornflakes, 1 cup starbucks (brought my instant packs). Came back to the room got my 2 piece swim suit on, sweats, got the hubby up, and went down to the shuttle our hotel provided to the pickup point. They bussed us out to Sand Hollow which was about a 20 min ride. I quitetly reflected on the training I had put in up to that point and did the best mental prep work I could.
Event warmup:

No warmup... Just got to my bike and borrowed a nice lady's pump. Doused myself w/ sunscreen and put on my wetsuit. Had a 2x caffienated powergel about 30min before. Lined up at the start, kissed my hubby, and waited to get into the water.
Swim
  • 1h 32m 50s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall swim was decent. About what I expected for the lack of swim training I put in and also b/c I was not able to get an open water swim in before the race. Lake Erie is still 45 deg!

Wish I would have gotten in the water quicker as well. Starting at the actual start line would be nice ;).

Nixed the neoprene cap race morning. Glad I did because I was perfect w/ just the race cap!
What would you do differently?:

Given all the variables I did the best I could on race day and felt good about it.
Transition 1
  • 11m 56s
Comments:

I really wanted to make this quicker but I changed out of my swim suit into my tri top and shorts kinda slow. I was shivering bad even though I really didn't feel cold. My volunteer helped get my top on and sunscreen me up. I def wanted to get the sunscreen on well b/c I knew I would fry otherwise.

Probably should have worn tri top and shorts under wetsuit. It would def have dried fast. Also didn't need the arm warmers.
Bike
  • 7h 38m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.67 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half of the course went really smoothly. I'm admitting that I really didn't have a set nutrition plan going into the race. I knew I wanted about 200-250 cal/hr, but I would let my stomach dictate. The first hour I had half of my big colossal bar taped to the bike. I sipped the course fluids powerade perform and water. ABout mile 40 I had the other half of my bar. I kept downing the fluids b/c it was just so hot. The hill before the wall, and the wall were def the hardest climbs and I was able to stay on my bike for both the first loop.

A little past mile 50 I got my SN bag and chugged a SF Redbull and had half of my small bag of chips. It was nice to get something salty vs sweet. I put my payday in my shirt pocket, I used the restroom, and lubed back up w/ sunscreen.

The rest of the first loop went well and it was so nice to catch a bunch of descents in a row. Got up to 40MPH on one and was holding on for dear life! Second loop started well up till about mile 80 when I noticed my rear tire was looking low. I couldn't tell if I was imagining it or not so I kept going and I was on the lookout for bike aide. Around mile 90 I got to the wall for the second time and I chugged about 2/3 of the way up before aborting and walking the rest. My rear tire was just dragging me down and I was walking about the same speed. I got to the top and asked for bike aide. A volunteer said there's one a mile away at the next aide station. So I hopped back on and luckily made it there! The bike mechanic swooped up my bike, I went to the bathroom, grabbed a cup of water, lubed up with more sunscreen and they were finished fixing my flat! I couldn't have been more lucky! Got back on and flew to the finish!

Well of course in a perfect world I would have done all my long rides. But with the weather in Ohio being a crapfest and the troubles with my foot, my longest ride was 5.5hr and it was indoors on a trainer. So again, I think I def did the best I could..... Other than getting a flat!

Transition 2
  • 05m 28s
Comments:

Pretty quick... Didn't change clothes, lubed up w/ more sunscreen, put on my visor and away I went!

nothing
Run
  • 4h 55m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

So this is what I was waiting to get to all day.... I was so happy to have survived the bike that I really didn't pay attn to the course elevation of the run. Hmmm... that was a mistake. So I took off from T2 with a jog. I ran the first 3miles which were a slow climb out of town. I grabbed sponges at every aide station and shoved them down my top, I dumped ice down my shorts. It was just SO HOT. I turned the corner to head out of town and looked up to my horror to see what seemed to be a huge uphill. That was the first time during the race when I thought, "I might not finish this." I was so hot and I knew there was no way I could run. So I thought OK I'll turn this run into a hike. So I fast walked up the hills and ran the downhills and my positive attitude came back. I had a fast pace going down. The turnaround was back in town and I grabbed my second SF redbull from my SN bag. I saw Dan and told him it could be a long night, he just laughed and gave me a high five. I headed back out knowing I was def finishing before 17hrs. Did the same as the first lap w/ walking the uphills and running down. Had to stop at mile 18 to use the RR. Talked w/ some nice people on uphills. About mile 23.5 was the big downhill back into town and I gunned it. I felt like I was flying and I did a 8:16 pace the last 2 miles. I couldn't wait to cross the finish, so I just kept pushing and pushing. Finally I made the right turn into the corrals and I was SO HAPPY. The day was finally coming to a close and I was high fiving fans and heard the announcer say, from Sandusky, OH, Laura Cobb you are an Ironman!!!

train for hills!
Post race
Warm down:

Took pics, kissed my hubby, talked w/ a couple of my course friends. Ate a small cup of icecream (couldn't eat anything right away).... Went back to the hotel took a shower (heaven) and came back to the finish for a massage and pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat, hills, and lack of training

Event comments:

Cannot say enough about this race. Yes it's hard, but the volunteers, spectators, and race organizers did an OUTSTANDING JOB! I literally could not have finished the race w/out them. I made sure to thank everyone I could the entire time. I would def do this race again!!!!

Last updated: 2010-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:50 | 4224 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/
Overall: 1296/
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU full
Course: The starting line was actually in the water. Had to wait for everyone to file in. I stayed towards the back b/c I didn't want to get hacked too much and I'm not the greatest swimmer. The gun went off and I wasn't even to the starting line! Course was in a big rectangle. I couldn't tell where I was going the first half of the race. I was basically following everyone else right up until I could see the bouy.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 11:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:38:09 | 112 miles | 14.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/
Overall: 1223/
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: One word hilly... lots of climbs, fast decents, simply beautiful! So glad we drove the course the day before b/c it helped so much mentally to know what I was getting in too.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:55:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/
Overall: 862/
Performance: Below average
Course: hills, hills, hills... but beautiful views
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-10 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Subject: Ford Ironman St. George

2011-05-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3490956

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman St. George

Nice race! 

Josh texted me to ask if I was following you and for whatever reason, I thought it was a Sunday race, not a Saturday one.  Did a bit of checking in the afternoon/evening and got a little concerned when it didn't show a run split after 13.1.  So glad to get a message that you'd finished! 

2011-05-10 9:47 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Great job!  Congratulations Ironman!
2011-05-10 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
Fantastic job! Congratulaions Ironman. 
2011-05-10 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Good job and congraduation.  It was a hot day.  You were only a few that I saw that was running at the end.
2011-05-10 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Great RR and great job!

2011-05-11 5:14 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Congratulations!!! Great race report ;-)

St George is on my list...but the hills scare the living out of me...lol....

Alicia

2011-05-11 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Congratulations Laura!!! Your are an ironman x 2!!! Great RR.
2011-05-13 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
OH MY!! I got tears in my eyes reading this!!! YOU ARE AN IRON MAN!!!!
2011-05-13 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Great job!! Sounds like you your exemplified the ironman spirit in so many ways - getting through training in Ohio winter, battling the heat - with nutritions and a positive attitude.  Very inspiring report! Congrats!
2011-05-13 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
Great job! You did well!

2011-05-16 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3498168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Awesome job Laura!  It is very motivating and inspiring for me as I prep for my 1st IM. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman St. George Rss Feed