Jim Flint
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/49
Pre-race routine:

This race was the closest one to my house that I've ever done. All of my other ones have been WAY north and we've either stayed at a motel or left the house at 4am to get to the race. Heck, I got to sleep in this morning comparatively. Woke up at about 4:15, drank some coffee, ate a massive bowl of cereal, filled my water bottles, put the bike, my stuff, and my husband in the car.
Event warmup:

Transition opened at 5:30, and we got there a little after that. Plenty of good spots and I was able to get an outside rack - love that - so much more room. It was chilly - I was wearing 2 layers of fleece and long warmup pants. Set up my transition area, walked around for a while, talked to friends, then went to pick up my chip. I thought it was strange that they did packet pickup on Saturday, but that packet didn't include the chip, so we had to wait in line on Sunday to pick up the chip. Strange. Someone had told me that you needed your photo ID to pick up your chip and I realized that I had left all that at home since my husband drove to the race. I was afraid I'd have to go home and get my ID, but you didn't need it. I panicked for nothing. Did a warm-up run with Mark (markdills38), came back to transition, put on my wetsuit, then they closed transition and we all had to head down to the beach. COLD SAND. My feet were quickly numb, and I thought that getting in the water might actually feel warm. Wrong. I was surprised at how cold the water was. Swam for a few minutes to get used to the cold, then lined up for the start. By this time I was REALLY cold and shivering.
Swim
  • 08m 58s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim in this race is a time trial start instead of a wave start. Each swimmer goes off 5 seconds apart with a running start from the beach. I've never done a running start and I was afraid of diving in and knocking my goggles off, so I think I did a very graceful belly flop into the water. Oh well. Because I was so cold from standing in the line to start, the water actually felt good this time. But it was only a 500m swim and it was over so fast that I didn't feel like I really got into a rhythm. I passed a lot of people in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. It was an ok swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

This transition seemed to take forever because it includes a long-ish run up from the beach. They had wetsuit strippers, but I was so out of it when I came out of the water, that I kind of forgot about that little perk. I didn't use PAM on my arms under my wetsuit this time and it actually made my wetsuit come off EASIER - go figure. It took forever for me to get my socks and shoes on. I really need to work on the sockless transition and toughening up my feet or something. I can just hear the time ticking by as I put my socks on and deal with all the straps on my road shoes. I need tri shoes. Add that to the list of purchases. Sigh.

Get tri shoes and grow some hooves so my feet don't blister without socks.
Bike
  • 41m 23s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel like I haven't been on my bike since the Boulder Peak race in July because I have been working on my run so much, and it showed on this bike course. It was very hilly with rollers throught the whole course. My bike time was bad for me, but there were a lot of super-slow women out there that I was passing. It seemed like they were out for a Sunday leisurely bike ride. I didn't feel good on the hills, and never really got into a rhythm. The road was kind of rough with chip-seal pavement.

Not neglect my bike so much. Although it did pay off on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

As I was coming into the transition area, I noticed someone's bike crashing over. It just so happened to be on the other side of the rack where my transition spot was. Thankful that it wasn't the girl's bike who racked next to me, I didn't see the guy who ran over and STOOD ON MY TOWEL to help upright the carnage. The dude was right on my stuff. I start screaming at him "I NEED TO GET THERE!!" "I NEED TO BE RIGHT THERE!!!" "PLEASE MOVE!!!" He asked "where?" and I screamed and pointed at his feet "RIGHT THERE!!!" Geez! Finally he moved off my freaking stuff so I could rack my bike. He apologized. I knew who the guy was - the swim coach for Team CWW. I recognized him from the openwater swims at Chatfield. It never fails though. There is always something (vehicles) or someone who impedes my T2.

Not rack with people who don't know how to secure their bikes in the rack???
Run
  • 28m 6s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my fastest run in a triathlon, ever. I've never broken 9 minutes before. OK, who am I kidding I've barely broken 9:30 before. So taking about 40 seconds off my per mile pace is pretty darn good for me. The course was kind of hilly, so I'm sure I'd have run a lot faster if it had been flat.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to friends, cheered on other finishers. Went to change then to chow down on the post race food (Einsten Brothers bagel sandwiches - yum). Sat in the grass and ate with Mark, Ovetta (Infosteward), Matt (Blackbud) and his wife Jen, Ryan (himself), I know there were more people, but I'm so bad with names, that I've already forgotten. I got pictures of everyone afterwards, so I'll post those when I've downloaded them from my camera. Congratulations to Mark who won his age group - YOU ROCK. Congratulations to Ovetta who improved her time from last year by 20 minutes or something crazy like that. OVETTA, YOU'RE AWESOME!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time on the bike in the past month, but I'm really happy with my run for the first time EVER.

Event comments:

Good late season race. Limited to 500 participants, but there was a waiting list of 400 PEOPLE after the race filled up!!!!! That goes to show how popular it is.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:58 | 547 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Orca Predator 2
Course: Rectangle course with the first leg directly into the sun. With the glare, I had a hard time seeing the first bouy.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:23 | 12 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course with rolling hills. Never a flat spot.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:06 | 03.17 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course on concrete and asphault paths. Rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-29 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Rattlesnake Triathlon

2005-08-29 11:38 AM
in reply to: #236400

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Triathlon
I had to stop reading for a minute after the "put my.....husband in the car." Did Russell require carrying yesterday morning? That was funny. Great to see you out there yesterday! Looks like you had a great race, including your awesome run! I forgot all about the BT pic. I'll have to look for that once it's up.
2005-08-29 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Great race. Way to smoke the run. I'm going to do this one next year - it sounds like so much fun.

Carrie
2005-08-29 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Great race, and nice to meet you this weekend (real name Adam - I'll keep reminding you, I'm bad with names too).

2005-08-29 1:24 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Way to go Stacie!  You did awesome!  I am glad the run was better but the bike suffered.  Next year we will set up your plans to include all workouts.  Way togo on your year end Tri!
2005-08-29 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Stacie,

What a year you have had. You are awesome. A great motivator and my cycling inspiration. I was so happy that when my chain slipped on the bike I got it back on without getting off. I thought, "Stace would be proud of me!" You have helped me so much with my cycling and I can't thank you enough. You are definitely part of the reason that I took more than 11 minutes off my bike time on this race. YOU ROCK!

Great way to end the season. Come on down to the springs and we'll have a trainer party! Ovetta.

2005-08-29 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Awesome race Stacie! That run pace is phenomenal! I can only dream of sub-9 minute miles. Are you going to be doing the Surf & Turf on the 7th?
2005-08-29 4:40 PM

User image

Expert

Excellent race!!!  You're way too modest.  That's an excellent swim time and averaging 17.4 mph on that course is great.  Add to that your PR run and you've put together a great race.  After meeting you on Saturday, I told my wife that I thought you were being modest about how quick you are and I'm proud to say I was right

2005-08-30 3:19 PM

User image

Great race Stacie!!!  Glad to see that those running miles have paid off.

Are you sure that putting your husband in the car isn't what messed up your shoulder?  That's what I'd blame it on.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Triathlon Rss Feed