General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy International #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy International #2 - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami, Florida
United States
MultiRace
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30 so I could get the dog walked before we loaded the bikes and headed out. We had to be there by 5:30 since Peter still had to pick up his packet. Ate some fig newtons and drank diet coke. The breakfast of champions!
Event warmup:

Since we were there so early, we had our pick of spots on the bike rack (Mark, Carol and I were all on the same rack), were also able to get the timing chip and get marked without any waiting. Then walked around checking out the set-up, used the porta-potty (nice to be the first one in!). When the sun finally came up we were able to get in the water and swim a bit.
Swim
  • 20m 47s
  • 962 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since I breathe to the left, I don't like it when the buoys are on the right, it messes up my already poor sighting. I really need to figure out why I have such a difficult time getting into any type of rhythm in the swim. I am capable of a faster swim, but for some reason I have trouble just relaxing into it during a race. I also have trouble keeping on course - every time I sighted I had to make corrections, sometimes big corrections; so I should have sighted more often, but i really wanted to get into a rhythm and sighting more often throws that off even more. Of course, swimming all over the place doesn't help matters either.
The water was so HOT i felt like i was swimming in a jacuzzi - not the best thing to do when you are trying to push it.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on pacing, sighting and getting into a race rhythm. Other than that, I was perfect :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Took a bit longer than usual getting my socks on, so not the fastest time here.

Get socks on more quickly.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 21s
  • 20 miles
  • 18.09 mile/hr
Comments:

This race turned out to be a good test of my nutrition/drinking for 2 plus hour races. I ended up taking in too much liquid, so I will need to experiment more on my longer rides.

Not drink so much. Also, there were times I felt like I was dogging it a bit and would catch myself doing more people watching than riding. So, i need to be more focused. That was a theme the whole race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Carol racked her bike too far over from Mark's (they did the sprint, so they were back first), so i didn't have enough room b/w her bike and the next bike to fit my bike in, so wasted some time moving hers over. A nice man offered help, but I declined telling him I know the owner, so I can be rough. BTW, i am the owner of the bike Carol rode, so I felt no guilt pushing it around!

move more quickly!
Run
  • 56m 42s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

OMG!!! First off, as i mentioned, i drank too much on the bike so my stomach was sloshing away. I felt like i could be sick at any moment. Then it was so stinking hot and humid I almost got heat stroke! I got goose bumps and started to feel clammy and overall was hating life. The run was overwhelmingly shaded, but it was so heavily shaded that there was no air moving at all. This was miserable. I had to stop at each water stop and walk (I never walk through aid stations for anything short of a marathon, so I know I was hurting). Wanted to drink the water, but also couldn't put anything in my sloshing stomach so I just kept dousing myself with the water.
When I hit the turn around for the second lap, it was so tempting to just keep going the .2 miles to the finish, but I didn't I went back into the sauna and just told myself "just get to the next water stop, just get to the turn around etc." It was like the march of the dead. \
Also, b/c there were only 180 total entrants for the international distance, on the 2d loop there weren't too many other racers; so those of left did a lot of talking (in short sentences!) to each other. We really felt each others' pain.
About .5 mile from the finish I passed another woman who I thought was in my AG (according to her calf), I was so pleased to know I would not be last in my AG. So, imagine my surprise to learn that I was the only person in my AG. I guess she was in the sprint. I just couldn't believe anybody would still be on the sprint at that point.
As I approached the finish, Peter, Carol, Mark and Janice were all there cheering me on. That was nice. What wasn't nice was noticing how refreshed they looked while I was feeling like I could pass out any second! That's what I get for not doing the sprint with them :)
Speaking of passing out, Carol had to attend to a guy who dropped right after he crossed the finish line. Thankfully she is a doctor as all the other people around him were doing "stupid" things.

This started badly with the hydration on the bike. If I handled that correctly, the run would not have been quite as miserable; but it still would have been the hottest most miserable run I had ever done!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, water, and more water. Most of it over my head.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I described all my shortcomings rather thoroughly! Oh, and genetics.

Event comments:

I love multi-race. They put on a well-organized race and are very helpful/ REsults are available right away and pics follow a few hours later. I can't hold them responsible for Florida's heat and humidity!
BTW, the night before the race I scrolled through the race entrants and counted about 5 people in my AG. Wonder why none of them showed up! Oh well, b/c they didn't I got an invitation to participate in multi-races' championships in October!
Oh, and the overall rank includes both men and women, if I had just done the overall women's ranking, i'd look more accomplished:)

Last updated: 2011-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:47 | 962 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 140/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Big rectangle, bouys on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 92F / 33C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:21 | 20 miles | 18.09 mile/hr
Overall: 149/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out to the causeway, over the big causeway then almost immediately upon hitting the bottom of the descent you had to u-turn and go back over the causeway. i passed quite a few people on the climbs, especially the big guys who were struggling with climbing. Then the course was straight down the road with one more small bridge climb before hitting the turn around and heading back to the staging area. Of course, if you did the international distance you did 2 loops, so i had to pass the bike finish turn and head straight back to the big bridge. 2d time around i passed more people on the climb, so that made me feel pretty good. I was concerned about the heat and humidity, so I made sure I drank water and sipped on my performance drink. Unfortunately, it seems I took in too much liquid, b/c my stomach started sloshing. It wasn't noticeable until i started to run. More on that little issue later.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:42 | 06.2 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Overall: 97/
Performance: Below average
Course: Out to a spit of land that goes into the bay. Course is a combo of asphalt and hard packed sand. Turn around at the end of the spit and head back to transition area where you hit the u-turn for the international distance.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-17 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy International #2

2011-07-18 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3600614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy International #2
amd723 - 2011-07-17 3:59 PM
Good job. I used to feel the same way in my OWS race starts. I worked on bilateral breathing and got more OWS experience in training. Helped a ton.
2013-07-23 7:41 AM

User image

Good job out there. The swim looked super tough with the current and the chop.

I was out there volunteering. It's good that as a racer it seemed organized because as a volunteer the course honestly seemed like a mess.

On the swim I counted 5 people cut the course significantly short. They didn't round the last buoy instead cutting in to the finish between the buoys. Those buoys were pretty far apart so maybe they couldn't see the last buoy and headed to the finish. None of these people were penalized because there wasn't anyone at the swim out from the race (I only mention this - in case anyone is curious). There were also two people who completely overshot it and went to the other side of the jetty which I think would have been infuriating if it had happened to me. Honestly, I hate to be critical but the reason this happened was that there wasn't a life guard or anybody in the water near that far buoy at that time to direct swimmers. I will say that eventually a paddle boarder did make it to that point in the course but the first participants to get there were on their own.

On the run the returning runners had to cross over those runners leaving transition to either go to the finish or start the second lap. There were lots of near misses for collisions but luckily it's a pretty small race so nothing happened. On one hand it's no harm no foul but on the other hand this seemed like a very simple thing to avoid by just putting another barrier up so that the runners coming out of transition were a few more feet to the side. Clearly you figured it out and ran all of your laps but apparently lots of people just went straight to the finish.
2013-07-23 2:54 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
1st AG, who cares if you were only AG, great job!!   Sloshing stomach contents, heat, does NOT sound like fun but you did well all things considered. 
2013-07-23 11:49 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Wow. Tough conditions. Hot water and hot air. That's miserable. I hear you on the swim -- I also breathe to the left, so when the buoys are on the right . . . not good.

You did a fantastic job. Sometimes (as in this case) showing up is half the battle. You did that and were rewarded. Congratulations.

2013-07-24 6:29 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Regular
LHOTP
92 DEGREE WATER?!? WTF? I want to send you a medal for even considering it, let alone DOING it. OMG, the weather sounds brutal. You are a complete rock star for doing races in that. Very nice job you sick, sick woman :)

2013-07-24 9:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
In an effort to be helpful and informative, I'd like to point out that THIS race report was FILED by the OP on 7-17-2011. 2011
I also read this nice race report and realized that this race report was from 2011. That is why (in an effort to clarify WHICH YEAR), when I wrote my race report on this years (2013) race I titled it:
Mack Cycle International Trilogy #2, 7/21/2013
Hope this helps

Edited by spearit 2013-07-24 9:37 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy International #2 Rss Feed