General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hit a runner while on my bike today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-07-21 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3607695

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: I hit a runner while on my bike today
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 8:55 AM

I think that other thread on the dangers of road biking caught up with me. This happened around 6:30 this morning. I was on the multiuse path, which is usually pretty safe except for a couple of spots where it narrows. This happened on a pretty wide part (12 feet). Saw a runner so yelled "on your left" and he promptly turned left and walked into the center of the path. I was doing about 17mph when I hit the brakes, but he hit dead center on the bike. We both went down fairly hard but no real injuries. I took the worst of it, nice road rash on my leg and arm, and my hip is bruised. Took some paint off my rear derailleur which is a shame since the bike in only 2 weeks old.

I was about to really lay into him about watching what he was doing and being a dumb*** when I realized he was about my son's age (high school) and really scared. So I calmed down (not easy, I was wired!), made sure he was really OK, asked if he wanted to use my cell phone. Then I explained path safety to him. The path can get very busy and I was going relatively slowly as I was going uphill, but he could have been seriously injured by someone less careful bombing down the hill. Made sure he was OK again, then we both took off.

In the end I had a crappy ride. I was thinking about it the whole time, I was bleeding and sore, and it was hot and humid, and I didn't notice I had lost a water bottle. Did 28 miles total. But I'm glad I didn't go with my first reaction to curse and yell, and hopefully he keeps running safely.

If 17mph is slow for going uphill, perhaps you need to be on a real road an not a multi-use path

Not meant to be a snide comment or anything, just in my experience they are really bad for real training.  I guess they are all different and it's dependent on the roads around you, but I will never bike on a multi-use trail for training (though I enjoy them recreationally). 

in reply to: #3607826

User image

Expert
Savannah
duder5189 - 2011-07-21 9:48 AM
lisac957 - 2011-07-21 8:37 AM
duder5189 - 2011-07-21 8:23 AM

but there's no earthly reason for that kid to have wandered to the middle of a 12-foot wide path, regardless of what he thought he heard.  Unless he's passing someone himself, he should stay as far to the right as possible at all times, no?

Pedestrians are only allowed so much room on the mutli-use path? I didn't know there was such a rule.

I don't know that there's a rule, but it's courtesy and smart, safe practice, no?  If you're walking shoulder to shoulder with someone, sure, go ahead and use the whole width of your side of the path.  But if you're jogging or walking alone, I don't see why you would want to leave the right edge of the path if you know there could be people passing you.

No, as a cyclist the safe and smart thing would be to NOT use multi-use paths for anything more than recreational riding.   

Edited by mktoson 2011-07-21 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3607826

User image

duder5189 - 2011-07-21 6:48 AM

but there's no earthly reason for that kid to have wandered to the middle of a 12-foot wide path, regardless of what he thought he heard.  Unless he's passing someone himself, he should stay as far to the right as possible at all times, no?

Pedestrians are only allowed so much room on the mutli-use path? I didn't know there was such a rule.

I don't know that there's a rule, but it's courtesy and smart, safe practice, no?  If you're walking shoulder to shoulder with someone, sure, go ahead and use the whole width of your side of the path.  But if you're jogging or walking alone, I don't see why you would want to leave the right edge of the path if you know there could be people passing you.

The SAFE practice is for the person on the bike approaching the pedestrian to ride at a safe speed and being able to expect the un-expected and having more concern for that than the ability to squeeze a mile or two faster out for their average at the end of the ride.
2011-07-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3607793

User image

Chicago
crusevegas - 2011-07-21 8:37 AM
duder5189 - 2011-07-21 6:23 AM

Wow, people being pretty hard on this guy.

Sounds like the runner basically jumped out in front of him.  I understand what everybody's saying about it ultimately being the cyclists responsibility, but there's no earthly reason for that kid to have wandered to the middle of a 12-foot wide path, regardless of what he thought he heard.  Unless he's passing someone himself, he should stay as far to the right as possible at all times, no?

I'm sure the kid just got startled, which is why I've pretty much stopped the whole "on your left" thing, and just try to buzz by them as quickly and safely as possible when I'm in this situation.  I've found the "on your left" announcement to probably do more harm than good overall.

What could possibly go wrong. shaking head

My use of "buzz by them" was obviously not a hit in this thread, and I guess I didn't use the right words.  I'm not out trying to "buzz" anyone, I always slow down and try to assess each pass separately and do it as safely as possible.  Some might say the rule is I need to give a verbal alert each and every time, but I'm sorry, in practice that's not always the safest thing to do.  I think the OP explained pretty clearly why...you can startle people and you never know what they're going to do.

2011-07-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3607802

Veteran
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 8:40 AM
Scout7 - 2011-07-21 8:36 AM
bsc77 - 2011-07-21 9:04 AM

Glad you guys didn't get injured, that's the important thing. I don't think that runners react to "on your left" like cyclists do, a big reason is a substantial amount of runners crank the tunes while running (I'm guilty of that).

Since I started cycling I'm a heck of a lot more conscience of my surroundings when running.

I think it's because most of the people running out there have never heard the term before. I know what "on your left" means due to the time I spent in track and cross country. I also know that when someone yells "track", it means move to the outside, someone wants the inside lane. I am also willing to bet the OP startled the heck out of the kid, and he reacted in an unfortunate direction.

People living in the city (Philly) and out on the path at 6:30am are pretty aware of the rules. It's the same people every day. Not saying I wasn't wrong, just saying that's a reality. And I still think I did the right thing trying to explain them to him.

Sorry to pile on, but if you admit to being at fault, why "explain" the "rules" to the guy.  You broke them, and it doesn't matter what time of day it was, or who the "regulars" are.

2011-07-21 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I was hit by a biker going roughly 20mph while on a multi-use path a couple of years ago.    We both went down hard and the injuries I sustained from that wreck lasted for almost a year.  He apologized, but that wasn't enough for the DNR.  They tracked him down and took his trail pass away, permanently.  Since that incident, I stopped riding on multi-use trails altogether.  It made me realize that going 17-20mph on them isn't safe for a pedestrian or me as a rider.

2011-07-21 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3607848

User image

duder5189 - 2011-07-21 6:55 AM
crusevegas - 2011-07-21 8:37 AM
duder5189 - 2011-07-21 6:23 AM

Wow, people being pretty hard on this guy.

Sounds like the runner basically jumped out in front of him.  I understand what everybody's saying about it ultimately being the cyclists responsibility, but there's no earthly reason for that kid to have wandered to the middle of a 12-foot wide path, regardless of what he thought he heard.  Unless he's passing someone himself, he should stay as far to the right as possible at all times, no?

I'm sure the kid just got startled, which is why I've pretty much stopped the whole "on your left" thing, and just try to buzz by them as quickly and safely as possible when I'm in this situation.  I've found the "on your left" announcement to probably do more harm than good overall.

What could possibly go wrong. shaking head

My use of "buzz by them" was obviously not a hit in this thread, and I guess I didn't use the right words.  I'm not out trying to "buzz" anyone, I always slow down and try to assess each pass separately and do it as safely as possible.  Some might say the rule is I need to give a verbal alert each and every time, but I'm sorry, in practice that's not always the safest thing to do.  I think the OP explained pretty clearly why...you can startle people and you never know what they're going to do.

I think based on all of your posts on this thread you've made your concern  for others perfectly clear.

Motorists who blow through crosswalks have the same attitude as you imho.     
2011-07-21 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Wow, Im glad it didnt turn out worse. I have never been a fan of the multiuse path because of the wandering walkers with dogs and people generally not paying attention. Stories like this just serve to reinforce this belief that I have.

Now the embarrassing part - Last night I was down on the multiuse path waiting to cross the road. The light wasnt changing so I turned and walked across the path to hit the cross walk button. When I did this I didnt look and a bike was coming towards me, He yelled "watchout" I turned and froze hoping he would go around me but instead he came straight at me. I was able to grab his handlebars so he didnt fall over and we were both perfectly fine. I apologized and so did he and we both carried on. I knew better but a momentary lapse in judgement and not paying attention could have caused a serious accident.I was the "spaced out" inconsiderate walker.

Please pretty Please dont train on multiuse paths.

2011-07-21 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3607840

User image

Pro
mktoson - 2011-07-21 8:52 AM

No, as a cyclist the safe and smart thing would be to NOT use multi-use paths for anything more than recreational cycling. 

It's easy to speak in generalities when you don't know the specifics. I would rather be on the street than on that path. There is a 4-mile stretch to get out of the city where there is no other choice. It's one of the reasons the path was built. On the weekends they shut down one of the roads to accommodate the additional bikers/runners and the regattas.

If you want to see dangerous, you ought to try running there on a regatta weekend and dodging paddles and boats!

2011-07-21 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3607841

User image

Chicago
crusevegas - 2011-07-21 8:52 AM

The SAFE practice is for the person on the bike approaching the pedestrian to ride at a safe speed and being able to expect the un-expected and having more concern for that than the ability to squeeze a mile or two faster out for their average at the end of the ride.

Completely agree with that.  Also, completely agree with the guy who says the safe practice is to just not ride on these paths.  I'm just addressing the reality that sometimes we find ourselves on these paths.  A lone walker or jogger going no faster than anyone else on the path should stay as far to the right as possible, and all cyclists should ride and pass at a safe speed.

2011-07-21 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3607852

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON
abier - 2011-07-21 8:55 AM

Glad you guys didn't get injured, that's the important thing. I don't think that runners react to "on your left" like cyclists do, a big reason is a substantial amount of runners crank the tunes while running (I'm guilty of that).

Since I started cycling I'm a heck of a lot more conscience of my surroundings when running.

I think it's because most of the people running out there have never heard the term before. I know what "on your left" means due to the time I spent in track and cross country. I also know that when someone yells "track", it means move to the outside, someone wants the inside lane. I am also willing to bet the OP startled the heck out of the kid, and he reacted in an unfortunate direction.

People living in the city (Philly) and out on the path at 6:30am are pretty aware of the rules. It's the same people every day. Not saying I wasn't wrong, just saying that's a reality. And I still think I did the right thing trying to explain them to him.

Sorry to pile on, but if you admit to being at fault, why "explain" the "rules" to the guy.  You broke them, and it doesn't matter what time of day it was, or who the "regulars" are.

I don't know, I think that's fair.  Before I started cycling (last year) I had never heard the term "on your left" and would've had no idea what that meant.  Maybe the kid thought he was supposed to go to the left, who knows?  That doesn't shift the blame and having the OP do it could go well or it could go badly depending on the person he'd hit but it's not unreasonable for two people who've just collided to discuss rules of the road.

I've also become a much more aware runner since I started biking.  And when on my bike I always assume runners/walkers can't hear me, don't know the rules and are packing heat.  It makes following the rules really easy to do.  Cool

in reply to: #3607852

User image

Pro

Because someone else might just knock him over and keep going. I may have been wrong but I didn't want to see him get seriously hurt. I shared this here so I could learn something. I really am not the inconsiderate jerk some of you are trying to make me out to be!

2011-07-21 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3607788

User image

Regular

That's my point. I have been a recreational runner for years but never really heard the term before I hopped in the saddle.

in reply to: #3607802

User image

Runner
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 9:40 AM

Saying "On your left" isn't really a "rule". And my point was that you had two things working against you:

A) You said the other person was a teenager, and because of that I'm willing to bet that there is a chance he did not know what you meant when you said "On your left".

B) You startled him. He reacted by going in the wrong direction (probably because his brain had the word "LEFT" in it, which made it choose to go left). I see it happen ALL the time, even when it's runner vs. runner. I couldn't tell you how many times in races I've used "On your left", and had people swerve to the left. I've seen people go down hard during Broad Street because of that exact situation (I am from the Philly area as well).

I don't really care who was right or wrong in these cases. No one was hurt, that's good. Hopefully all involved have learned a lesson; the other person learned not to go left when someone yells "On your left", and we have learned that maybe more lead time is necessary when calling out "On your left".
2011-07-21 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3607873

User image

duder5189 - 2011-07-21 7:01 AM
crusevegas - 2011-07-21 8:52 AM

Completely agree with that.  Also, completely agree with the guy who says the safe practice is to just not ride on these paths.  I'm just addressing the reality that sometimes we find ourselves on these paths.  A lone walker or jogger going no faster than anyone else on the path should stay as far to the right as possible, and all cyclists should ride and pass at a safe speed.

I'm glad to hear you say this and I agree about the pedestrians staying to the right,,,,, the reality, at least here in Henderson is they are all over the place on both sides. I usually try to give ample warning that I'm behind them, by saying morning, bike back, on your left or just coughing, if they have head phones it may do no good. When I am going by them I make sure that they are aware of me or I am able to avoid them if them suddenly turn into me.  

The pedestrians have the right of way on multi use paths wheather they are using common courtesy or not.
2011-07-21 9:11 AM

Veteran
This is comical.  In lieu of practicing common sense and safety, it's being suggested that cyclists stay off multi-use paths.

2011-07-21 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3607840

User image

Champion
Chicago
mktoson - 2011-07-21 8:52 AM

No, as a cyclist the safe and smart thing would be to NOT use multi-use paths for anything more than recreational riding.   

This is true, and yes it would be ideal, but I lived in downtown Chicago for five years and there is NO alternative to the lakefront path other than driving out of the city to the countryside and riding the hills out there. I didnt have a car so that also wasn't an option. If I wanted to do any bike training, it was on the lakefront path.

Here in London, my bike training is suffering because of lack of places to ride. I do ride through Greenwich Park because it's hilly but there's no outside loop there. Regent's Park is a good option because it has an outer ring road but we're pretty far away from it and would have to negotiate Central London traffic to get there.

So while not ideal, riding on a multiuse path may be the only option for some.
2011-07-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3607887

User image

Pro
Scout7 - 2011-07-21 9:07 AM
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 9:40 AM

Saying "On your left" isn't really a "rule". And my point was that you had two things working against you: A) You said the other person was a teenager, and because of that I'm willing to bet that there is a chance he did not know what you meant when you said "On your left". B) You startled him. He reacted by going in the wrong direction (probably because his brain had the word "LEFT" in it, which made it choose to go left). I see it happen ALL the time, even when it's runner vs. runner. I couldn't tell you how many times in races I've used "On your left", and had people swerve to the left. I've seen people go down hard during Broad Street because of that exact situation (I am from the Philly area as well). I don't really care who was right or wrong in these cases. No one was hurt, that's good. Hopefully all involved have learned a lesson; the other person learned not to go left when someone yells "On your left", and we have learned that maybe more lead time is necessary when calling out "On your left".

Thanks Scout, I've been plowed over by bikes and runners in Philly too, and my GF had her shoulder dislocated during a marathon by a very large runner who just stopped and stretched in front of her. Common sense is not to be taken for granted. I had a shortage of it today. And I didn't know he was a teenager until afterwards, not that age really matters. I learned my lesson, was trying to pass some lessons on to the person I hit. What really amazed me is that people on the path who saw it go down just walked around us.

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
This thread is just crazy. A runner bolts out in front of someone and it's the cyclist fault? So if I'm walking down the street and jump in front of a car it's their fault?

I use a multi-use trail all the time for my cycling up here. I slow down, give plenty of space and do as much as I can to avoid others, but if someone doesn't look and turns in front of you, it's not your fault. I guess I'll get shelled for having this opinion, oh well.

Edited by bradword 2011-07-21 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON

Question for you guys, do you have speed limits on your paths?  The one I run on most often has a posted cycling speed limit of 20km/hr which is about 12.5mph.  Does this apply where you live?  

Now that I've converted, 18mph is really damn fast on a multi-use path.  Mind you, mine is only about 4-5' wide.

2011-07-21 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3607922

User image

Runner
Well, it IS Philly.... They were afraid there would be police involved, and they would be questioned. Or that a flash mob would show up, one or the other.

2011-07-21 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3607884

User image

Lafayette, CO
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 8:07 AM

Because someone else might just knock him over and keep going. I may have been wrong but I didn't want to see him get seriously hurt. I shared this here so I could learn something. I really am not the inconsiderate jerk some of you are trying to make me out to be!

While I am one that agrees this was your fault, I don't disagree with trying to educate someone, especially a teenager, about path etiquette (which is what this is, not rules).  

As a ski racing coach of young children I am tasked with teaching them the skier responsibility code which states that the downhill skier always has the right of way.  However, they are also responsible not to stop in blind spots and not to start downhill without looking up to check for oncoming skiers first.  Let me tell you, getting 5 & 6 year olds to remember this is a challenge!  One time this year I was skiing with a large group.  I'm a pretty darn good skier, I've been doing it for 30+ years and can pretty much ski anything on the mountain.  Well on this day apparently I got distracted and started downhill without the uphill check.  An oncoming skier in the group said something as she went by and she was exactly right.  I apologized profusely but it could have been a dangerous situation. 

My point being, yes in the end there is going to be a responsible party in a crash.  We can all do things to help avoid them, even the person not responsible and it doesn't hurt to know those things. 

Edited by COSkiGirl 2011-07-21 9:21 AM
2011-07-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3607928

User image

Runner
lamb_y2003 - 2011-07-21 10:15 AM

Question for you guys, do you have speed limits on your paths?  The one I run on most often has a posted cycling speed limit of 20km/hr which is about 12.5mph.  Does this apply where you live?  

Now that I've converted, 18mph is really damn fast on a multi-use path.  Mind you, mine is only about 4-5' wide.

I have never seen cycling speed limits posted where the OP was riding. I have seen them in other places, but those are rare.
2011-07-21 9:18 AM

User image

Regular
lamb_y2003 - 2011-07-21 9:15 AM

Central Park in NYC has a 25 mph limit and the cops have started ticketing cyclists for speeding this year.

2011-07-21 9:19 AM

User image

lamb_y2003 - 2011-07-21 7:15 AM

No speed limits on ours.   
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hit a runner while on my bike today Rss Feed  

of 6