Fort Collins, Colorado
United States
Fort Collins Club
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I suppose it doesn't matter so much where I put the my RR since it will all fit nice and tidy in one spot, so this is as good a place as any. Was supposed to do a pre-race brick. Realized I had a flat in my back tire so after picking up my registration packet, I checked into the hotel and changed the flat. In a smokin time of about 45 minutes! No, seriously. 45 minutes. I was over-inflating the stupid tube and couldn't get the tire to fit over it. Once I realized my problem, I was done in about 5 minutes. I'm a slow learner apparently. Anyway, went off to ride my bike and check the tire. Everything's great. Met Ben, Rachelle, Ben's mom, Matt, Jen, and their friend (Kathy?) for dinner. Good time. Got home, changed and went for an easy 10-minute run. Body feels great! Legs are loose and ready to go. Back in my room I'm debating on whether or not to go shirtless or not after the swim. Figure I'll do a quick transition and see if it's a pain to put on. Do each of my transitions, everything's still great and I'm feeling really good about that part of the race. Bend over to take off my shoes, knee gives out a little bit, I step to adjust and balance myself and feel the sharpest pain ever shoot straight up my back. Lower right side. Fell straight to the floor where I laid for a good 10 minutes because even the slightest movement made it worse. I let it spasm and dealt with the pain, which was unbearable. If someone didn't make certain words swear words, and if repeating swear words out loud didn't make me feel even a little bit better, I would've been in tears on the ground. Finally, I was able to make it to my feet. Just one problem: couldn't walk. Finally made it to the bed and laid down straight on my back (only comfortable position) and came to terms with the fact that I wouldn't be racing. A bit later I got up, went out to get some Aleve, got back to the hotel and grabbed a Maker's & Coke on my way back to my room. Hey, I knew I wasn't racing at this point. :) I realize I shouldn't take Aleve with Maker's (they make 'em strong too!), but the little guy on my "I don't give a shit" shoulder beat the crap out of the guy on my "practical" shoulder. Easy win. As for the injury, it's one I've been dealing with for about a year. This is the worst it's hurt since about a year ago this time. I couldn't walk up steps last time it was this bad, and I could barely bend over this time. Funny thing is, the guy I go to to help keep my body in check said that my body was the strongest he's seen it in the last year when I was in there a week and a half ago! Note to self: That's no reason to stop doing the exercises!! I'm sure a week and a half ago it was the strongest it's been. It's my fault for over-stressing it and not resting when I should have. If I were smart I would've taken Thursday off after the Surf & Turf, even though I knew I'd be taking Friday off too. Being stupid and stubborn, I didn't want to take two rest days in a row. Lesson learned.

As for the race, I watched it through the lens of Ben's mom's camera and had a good time watching all the other BTers kick some serious ass on that course!! I swear, everybody looked strong out there today. And it's kind of fun standing 50 yards from the end of the course yelling at people that it's time to dig in and sprint it out when you know that they'd swear at you if they weren't so tired. :) I checked my AG standings after the race. My "announced time" that I told Ben, Matt, etc. at dinner was 1:08:30. The time I was really shooting for was 1:07. Sorry, I had to sandbag so I didn't feel bad if I didn't hit my goal. :) I think 3rd in my AG was 1:05:change. 4th was 1:10:change. I would've been 4th. Oh well. The biggest disappointment isn't that it was the last race of the season. For me it was that I was more ready for this race mentally and physically (or so I thought) than I was for any of my races this season. I knew the course and had a plan for it. I knew exactly how I wanted to start/finish the swim, move through the transitions, where I could rest on the bike, hell I even had it figured out as to where I could drink on the bike. And then I knew how I was going to approach the run course and when I could start my final kick. I guess plans change and a race wasn't in the books for me today. But not to worry, I'll be back stronger and faster next season! :)
Swim
  • 00m
  • 450 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 13 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2005-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 450 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 13 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Fort Collins Club Triathlon #3

2005-09-11 7:35 PM
in reply to: #244277

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Fort Collins Club Triathlon #3
Sorry to hear about the back.  I know you will recoup after a good long off season and be placing in your age group at every race.  Keep your head up and be proud.  I am!
2005-09-11 9:40 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
That really stinks about your back.  Keep tri-ing!  At least you can change a tire faster than me!  No lie- my record is 35 minutes!
2005-09-11 9:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Man - that bites! Take care and rest that back of yours. At least you have some time to recoup it and get it up to par before next season.

Sorry I didn't see you at the tri - but I'm not thinking you look like your avatar :-)

Carrie
2005-09-11 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Damn!  Sorry about the race!  Love the way you deal with disappointment...alcohol!   Good luck for the next one.
2005-09-12 10:04 AM

User image

Regular
Lone Tree, CO
Man, what a bummer!  Sorry to hear about your back.  You'll come back stronger next season!

2005-09-12 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

I'm bummed you couldn't race, and like I said yesterday, I didn't PR on the run because you weren't on the course.  I need to hear those footsteps man.

Next year though.  Off-season training and a new bike will ensure that you, me and Ben go 1-2-3 in AG next year.  I'm already looking forward to racing with you next season.  Let's have a BT race schedule coordination in December or January to make sure we're doing some of the same races.

2005-09-13 6:29 PM
in reply to: #244931

User image

Expert
TriGreenie - 2005-09-12 10:39 AM

I'm bummed you couldn't race, and like I said yesterday, I didn't PR on the run because you weren't on the course.  I need to hear those footsteps man.

Next year though.  Off-season training and a new bike will ensure that you, me and Ben go 1-2-3 in AG next year.  I'm already looking forward to racing with you next season.  Let's have a BT race schedule coordination in December or January to make sure we're doing some of the same races.

I  couldn't have said it better!  The only thing I might add is... We gotta get some jerseys, man!  Maybe some tri shorts and some full uniforms

2005-09-18 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Ryan thats a tough break. There is always next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Collins Club Triathlon #3 Rss Feed