Ft. Collins Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 3s
Overall Rank = 49/258
Age Group = W 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/27
Pre-race routine:

I decided to do this race on Friday. It was about 80 miles from my house and they had stopped taking online registrations. They were allowing in-person registration at packet pickup on Saturday, but I didn't want to drive all the way up to Ft. Collins, drive home, then drive up there again for the race on Sunday morning. I contacted the race director, and he let me provide my registration info and credit card via e-mail. Then Ryan (himself) picked up my packet for me on Saturday.

In order to make it up to Ft. Collins by the time transition opened, I left my house at the ungodly hour of 4:30am. Armed with a baggie of cereal and a water bottle of milk and a vanilla latte (ahh the joys of owning your own espresso maker), I pretty much ate and drank my way to the race. Hmmm. Big surprise. The parking area was nowhere near the transition area, and I didn't know my way around the area, so I waited for some other BT'ers to show up and guide me over to transition. Ryan showed up with my packet and race number and with the terrible news that he hurt his back and couldn't race. That was awful. Assembled my bike, blew up my tires, gathered my stuff, and walked over to transition.
Event warmup:

Got a good spot in transition, really close to the swim exit from the natatorium and on the end. Love those end spots. Went for about a 10 minute run. When I got back, they were yelling at everyone to get into the pool area and they were closing the doors to activate the timing mats. Grabbed my Power Gel and Go Fast drink and went to line up. Hmm. Feels like I'm forgetting something. What could it be. Cap and goggles maybe? Ran back outside to get them. Stood in line. I was #89 to go off. I estimated my swim time to be 7:45 and I was hoping that I could do that pace. The girl in front of me was 18 years old. Man, did she make me feel old.
Swim
  • 07m 27s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first pool swim triathlon, and I swear, it was torture standing there in line. My heartrate was through the roof - nothing like tiring yourself out just by standing there. I would prefer a mass swim start to standing at the pool's edge watching everyone swim. My swim went well. I underestimated my time by almost 20 seconds, but that was probably more accurate than most people's estimates. I ended up passing about 5 people. The minute I pushed off the wall, my tri shorts filled with water. Oops, guess I didn't tie that drawstring tight enough. Thank god they didn't come off. After about a length and a half, they smoothed out and were streamlined again. I started out doing flip turns then going under the lane rope as I pushed off the wall. As I got tired, I didn't do so well making it under the ropes and hit my head on the ropes a couple of times. After that, I just started doing open turns. The swim went quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I was happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I decided to do this race without socks and I'm so happy I did. It probably saved me 20 seconds in transition. During the swim I remembered that I didn't take my second water bottle out of my rear cage on my bike, so I made a mental note to remember to do that when I got to transition. And I actually remembered to do it - amazing considering that most people probably aren't doing too much mental planning during the swim! I came out of the door from the pool and sucked in a lot of air because it was COLD outside. I was out of transition pretty quickly and onto my bike.

Not much, just the water bottle thing. That was just carelessness in setting up my transition area.
Bike
  • 35m 48s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.79 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good ride for me. Only a couple of men passed me - no women. My biggest problem was on part of the route, the coned area was too narrow to allow safe passing, and people were idiots and weren't riding to the far right. Then when we had a whole lane AND a shoulder, people were still riding too far left. I had to pass a guy on the right and told him in my rudest, most annoyed-sounding voice "passing on your right." He got the message and moved over. Idiot.

Not much. I was happy with my ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I don't know what happened here. I dismounted my bike, and I was in total control but my bike wasn't. I almost dropped it, and apparently it took out a cone. It was very embarassing. I'm sure I looked like a total newbie dork. Oh well. The rest of the transition went quickly and smoothly.

Not almost drop my bike and look like an idiot.
Run
  • 24m 47s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

This run course was very confusing at the start. You run over the timing mat, make a sharp left around a tree (huh?), run through the grass and down an embankment then up a really steep embankment (imagine running up an earthen dam - that's how steep it was). The run course was not well staffed and only one aid station. At one point when I was running through a neighborhood, I couldn't see anyone in front of me and I wondered if I'd taken a wrong turn. My first mile split was 9:05 and I thought to myself, oh crap, that really sucks. So I must have really turned on the gas in the last 2 miles to end up with an 8:33 pace. The run was not a 5K, even though that's what the race advertised. It was 2.9 miles. I felt really good once my legs woke up and thawed out. I was still pretty cold coming off the bike. Looking back, I realize that I should have run harder. I don't think I left enough of myself out on that run, which is disappointing I guess. But still, it's a PR, so I can't complain.

Run harder. Not be afraid to really hurt myself. It was my last race of the season - I should have given more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little bit, ate some bananas, talked with the other BTers who had already finished and cheered in the ones who were still finishing. Everyone looked so strong today and raced so well. Congratulations to Adam (TriGreenie) who won his age group. I think it's time for a screen name change, my friend!!

Went to the post race BBQ, had a veggie burger and chips. Must have gotten there too late because all damn Oreos were gone. I figure that after completing a tri is one of the only times in my life when I can justify eating Oreos, and the piggies had eaten them all. NOT FAIR.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I felt better in this race than any other this season. I just wish I would have run harder.

I thinking that entering a race at the last minute is a good strategy mentally because I didn't really have a long build-up to stress out about it. I'm glad I ended up racing because I really wasn't ready for my season to be over. I had planned on doing the Fall Frenzy in Parker this weekend,but it filled up so fast and I was too late registering. This was a great last race, I was happy with my performance, and I'll be going into off season on a really positive note.

At the post race activities hanging out with the BT crew, I was told I got 4th in my age group. Not wanting to look like a total ass, I just kept cool, but on the inside, I was estatic. I can't believe I finally broke into the single digits, muchless getting so close to hardware. :)

Event comments:

I liked this race because it was smaller than many I have entered this year. The pool swim was well organized. I just wish it weren't so far from my house!

Last updated: 2005-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:27 | 450 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/27
Overall: 42/258
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri top and shorts
Course: Pool swim. It was a 50 meter pool that was 25 yards wide. So they had 18 lanes set up across the width of the pool, rather than lengthwise. You swam one length in each of the 18 lanes, going under the lane rope at the end of each length.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:48 | 13 miles | 21.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/27
Overall: 45/258
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loop course, mostly flat and some false flats. Lots of turns and 3 (?) sets of railroad track. Those were a pain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:47 | 02.9 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/27
Overall: 103/258
Course: Flat course, some dirt trail, mostly sidewalks or residential streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Ft. Collins Club Triathlon

2005-09-12 10:30 AM
in reply to: #244739

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Ft. Collins Club Triathlon
Great job girl!  You rock!  Still, it would've been nice to see you at Fall Frenzy yesterday...
2005-09-12 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
You ROCKED that race! And you didn't even look like a dork when you knocked over the cone. You just looked like you were in a hurry like everyone else. Too bad I didn't get a picture of it though. Based on our conversation earlier, I figured you'd be pretty psyched when you got 4th. Hell, I was pumped just to come back and tell you. With a pro in your AG taking first, does that mean you really would have gotten 3rd? Congratulations on the PR on the run, too! Runnerfreak! (credit to Mark for that one)
2005-09-12 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Woohoo!! Way to go on bagging 4th place in your AG - you rock!! The swim sounds annoying with having to duck under lane ropes, but it looks like you handled it well. I would have had a temper tantrum if I hit my head on ropes in the middle of a race! Nice fast run!!! Looks like all the speed work and training have really paid off for you!
2005-09-12 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
4th in your age group!!! YOU ROCK!!! and that speed on the bike - a girl can only dream :-)

It was nice meeting you - if only for a brief moment - I didn't want that lady to close the door on me either! I looked for you after the race - but I think the race erased some of my short term brain cells and I couldn't even remember what color your hair was. I'm such a doofus LOL

Also...I promise - I didn't eat a single oreo :-)

carrie
2005-09-12 1:20 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race girl!  I wish I could have been there to see it!  You seemed to manage the race very well and thought about everything you did during the race.  You are a true triathlete now when you are confident enough to do that.  Super!  What a way to end the season!

2005-09-12 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Great race.  It's pretty damn impressive that you can decide to do a race on Friday, and place 4th in AG on Sunday. 

I have to agree with your criticisms of the course too - I think I was too nice in my race report.  I felt lost on the run, and the beginning of the course was ridiculous.  Oh well, still a very fun race.

Congratulations on a great season. 

2005-09-12 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
I didn't realize you took 4th. DAMN NICE WORK! It is wierd how close we keep finishing these things. You should pass me right up with that IM you're doing next year though

Edited by Blackbud 2005-09-12 10:50 PM
2005-09-13 6:21 PM

User image

Expert

Ok, I only have one question and it's the same one I'm gonna have to ask TriGreenie (aka-AGWinner)...  Why are you so modest?   That was an impressive performance!!  4th in your AG is fan-freaking-tastic.

2005-09-13 10:36 PM

User image

Awesome job in the race!!!  Now aren't you glad you decided to go up there for it?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ft. Collins Club Triathlon Rss Feed