Time Out Productions
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m
Overall Rank = 265/671
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 32/65
Pre-race routine:

Ok, this is your warning, this pre race is long winded. Got out of work at 3. Drove home, finished loading the car and picking up the family. On the road by 1/4 of 4. Hit a little traffic. Got to race checkin at around 6. Went to find the hotel and a place to eat. Found the hotel first and checked in. Went to a hotel recomended place to eat called Mollys in W. Yarmouth.

This is where things went to pot. Got seated around 6:45. Waitress noticed our discount coupon for $3 off each adult meal. Took our drink order and came back. Around 7:10 our orders had not been taken. Went to Host and said we were leaving. He assured me our orders would be taken and we would be taken care of very well. We stayed. Big mistake. Kids dinners, our soups and salads came quicky. Around 7:35 we started to wait again for dinner. The kids were finished and ours was not on the table. 7:45 got ours to go. We the bill came it did not even have our discout. The Host took $6 out of his wallet to make good. I was very disapointed. When you have that many problems you would think there would be an honest attempt to satisfy the customer. NONE!!! I will not go back there again.

After dinner an improtu visit to the local Chrismas Tree shop was in order. We had them in our hands, but did not pack shovels and pails for the kids at the beach. So we looked in vain for some at the store. As a last ditch effort, 4 wooden spoons and 3 plastic food containers with lids would have to do. Also picked up an aluminum roasting pan to wash my feet in transition. Never have had to worry about that, but with this much of a beach run I wanted to be sure.

Got the kids back to the room and unpacked. Got the kids to bed and went out to view the course in the dark at 8:30. This actualy was ok, because the signs had been set up so I could follow the course better. Nothing major except a bumpy section about 4 miles into the bike. Stopped at a local convience store to "unload" extra cash burning a hole in my pocket. Picked up silverwhere for my leftovers, juice for the kids and cream cheese for our baggles.

Went back to the holel around 9:30 and started to put nubers on and make the final check of my race gear. Glad I brought the big bike pump. Tires down around 40 again. Set the alarm for 5 AM and sat down to eat my cold shirmp scampi from supper. Of course, I found the missing silverwere from Mollies at the bottom of the bag. Had nothing to drink so I went to the soda machine. Got my wife a soda, and had to settle for one myself. Wanted iced tea and 3 machines were out. To add insult to injury, I noticed the local small airfield was just down the steet. Herd the plans landing for hours.

Got back to the room again, and just started to laugh. I felt like Cousin Vinnie, just tring to get ready with everything going "wrong" around me. Could not sleep, so I took a shower and shaved, the final "prerace" stuff I like to do before going to bed. Finally crawled into bed around 3 hours late at 12:00. Slept OK, only getting up a couple of times. Woke up quickly with the alarm and started to pack the car.

Carried the kids into the car, still in there PJ's., and headed for the race. Got there just before 6. Main free lot was full, so I paid the $15 to park in a lot closer to the transition area. This turned out well, so my wife did not have to lug the kids too much. Said good by to the family and went to set up.

Got racked and laid out my area. Help some newbies rack and adjusted position of some bikes to make more room on adjasent racks. Realized after the race a few people had racked in the wrong places. Oh well did not effect me. Chatted with a few Trifurians and just kind of hung out.

Went to the swim start and took one last oppertunity to wave to the kids. They were oblivious of my presance. My son was in my wifes lap crying. Turns out he kept going deeper in to the water and fell, getting him all wet. Then he fell getting all sandy. For a little boy he likes to be very clean. My daughter was busy cleaning the beach of all seashells. Had a spectator get there attention so I could wave. This just set off my son again because he was looking directly into the sun to see me. Felt like Cousin Vinnie again. Went to the wave area and just finished getting ready.

Event warmup:

Enough said.
Swim
  • 10m 24s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The sea was flat! All my worring about the 3 hurricans off the Atlantic coast continuing to cause 6-9 ft swells and rip currents were gone. Was looking into the sun most of the first of 3 legs on the swim and had all sorts of problems getting into a bilateral breathing pattern. Finally gave up and just chose sides and kept going. Did get the added benifit of getting hit in the butt regularly from the swimmer to my left. She had said pre race that she had a tendancy of doing that and so I tried to move away. Guess that did not work.
What would you do differently?:

For sprint races I need to be in the front of the wave going out. Had trouble passing and getting postion. Did round the second turn very fast though.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Very bad transition. Got the the bike and out of the suit no problem. Got my glasses on, helmet on and gloves on no problem. Could not get my right shoe on. I guess it was to wet from using the roasting pan to get rid of the sand. Tried at least 5 times before saying screw it and heading out. The insert finaly got settled in on the run out of transition.

Not worry about the insert for about 45 seconds of precious time. Also on a sprint, not wearing cycling gloves will save about 15 more seconds.
Bike
  • 35m 20s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.98 mile/hr
Comments:

the race pace includes T1 and T2 due to the placement of the mats. Most of the race I was well over 20 MPH and I think my overall pace was close to 21. I stopped counting the poor soles that I was blowing past. Got passed about 10 times. The best part was when I cam up on some little kid, around 12 riding to his friends house on his 1 speed on the race route. When I went to pass I realized he was racing too!

Stayed aero most of the race. The only thing I did not like were two very long single file sections were everyone was bunching up. When we hit the open road again it was like the pelaton at the Tour de France. Everyone was passing very agressivly, including me.

Continue to work on power for hills while in the aero postion.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Got to T2 and had a very quick transtion. Can barly remember it. Racked the bike and shed the helmet. On the fly I decided to ditch the sox to gain precious seconds. I will always run sprints from now on with out sox, worth the time saved.

Could not get faster if I tried. I think I stopped moving foward for only 10 seconds, if that.
Run
  • 32m 15s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

run splits. 8.49...9.07...8.42...5.58 for the last "0.5" miles. I would dissagree with that distance. I know I kicked it up a notch for the last .5. Had some woman chasing me and I was not going to let her pass! Got to the last 50 yards and I think she swallowed a fly. She started coughing. I yelled back at her. Said " you have pushed me this had you need to keep trying to pass me!" I did finsih in front of her. Waved at the kids as I made the final turn.

Off season I need to try to get anouther 90 seconds per mile off my splits. Doable, but it will take lots of work. Overall it was a very fast run for me, even without the bike and swim in frount.
Post race
Warm down:

Took a quick "shower" on the side of the rest rooms. Very, very cold. Found the kids and went to transtion to pack. Chatted with a few people I had met before the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of speed work and bricks this year. This season was all about building base not speed.

Event comments:

I liked the race alot. Loved the fact that I had Sunday to recover, but still not sure I like the hurry up before the race to get that far away and checked in with the family. Complete opposite of the prerace for Cranberry. Over all I loved the race. I love the taste of sea water! My wife liked it alot too. She had something to keep the kids busy while I was on the course. We will see next season if it is duable again.

This race was also a personal record! 13 minutes faster than Boston last year. Both simular races

Last updated: 2005-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:24 | 400 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 274/671
Performance: Good
Suit: QR sleevless
Course: square with right turns
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:20 | 10 miles | 16.98 mile/hr
Overall: 192/671
HR around 148 most of the way.
Wind: Little
Course: relatively flat and fast. Had a couple of spots that they made single file to make turns. Just one stretch that was rough.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:15 | 03.5 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 412/671
HR 155
Course: backwards P shaped. Flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 4:15 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Hyannis 2 Sprint
forgot to put this in the Race Report. As I started the run, I thought I herd my screen name Ontherun, get yelled out. Not sure that it was for me or not. Definalty did not see where it came from. If it was for me, thanks :)

Edited by Ontherun 2005-09-12 4:21 PM

2005-09-12 5:34 PM
in reply to: #245230

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Hyannis 2 Sprint
AWESOME!!!!

what a summer you've had!
2005-09-12 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Dang good job joe!!!! You looked intense and 'in gear' when I saw ya out of t-2!! Cheered for ya!!!

Looked for ya after but lost ya in the crowd. Kudos man!!!
2005-09-12 6:40 PM

Champion
Hey good race Vinnie.....er Joe! Wish I could have gotten down to that one to cheer you guys on!!

2005-09-12 7:22 PM

User image

Pro
MA
Awesome time, Joe, dispite all the pre-race hassel.  Your run time is FAST!  The OW swim at Silver Lake paied off, huh?  I'm proud to be your swimming buddy! 
2005-09-12 8:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Joe...now you KNOW I could have given you some choice dining options!!!  It was further than a couple miles tot he race wasn't it?  Anyway glad you had a great time.  Maybe next year I will come home and do it too   Sorry about your son falling inthe water...didnt' I warn you about that drop off?   The cape is the BEST in Sept!! take care and congrats

2005-09-12 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Y'know - keeping your cool when all the "prep" isn't going as planned is the mark of a veteran !Look how well you did despite all the hassle-! What great improvements you can claim this year- Congrats!!!
2005-09-12 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Great race, Joe!  Congrats on the PB!  Woohoo!   You had an awesome season and I can't wait to see what you do NEXT season!
2005-09-12 9:14 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Congrats, Joe....what an awesome time!!!

I found trying to get to an out of town race on a Saturday was a pain too.  I was rushing around like you were and felt a bit disorganized. 

Glad you learned some new tricks so that your next transitions will be faster.  We always find something to improve, don't we?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis 2 Sprint Rss Feed