General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Swim/Run Brick Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-26 12:19 PM

User image

Chicago
Subject: The Swim/Run Brick

Is it worth it?  Is that a workout anyone besides me ever does?

It's convenient for me to jog to the gym, do a swim, then jog home (in that case it would be run/swim/run), or swim in the pool, jump out and top it off with a few miles running.  So I do it fairly often, but I'm wondering if I'm really getting much out of it since that's not the way a race goes.

My runs following a swim are naturally harder than the ones that don't follow a swim because I'm already fatigued...so I feel like I'm maybe not running as fast as I should be to increase my speed.  For a while earlier this year, I was doing almost NO runs without a swim (or sometimes a bike) beforehand.

On one hand, it does somewhat  simulate race conditions, since in every race I do, I'll start the run fatigued, so in that sense it feels like good training.  But on the other hand, I feel like not every run I do should just be dragging my arse around trying my darndest to stay upright, which is pretty much what most of my runs are if they follow a swim or a bike ride.  In order to get the most out of my run training, shouldn't I be doing SOME runs on fresh legs?

Just curious what some of the wisdom is on this.  And for what it's worth, I haven't been following any structured training plans this year...just doing sprint races so my philosophy has just been to get as much of everything in as I can, when it's convenient for me without having to follow a strict regimen or plan.  I've actually enjoyed the looseness and unscientific-ness of this strategy.

Edited by duder5189 2011-08-26 12:23 PM

2011-08-26 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3660870

Subject: RE: The Swim/Run Brick
I think that a swim/bike would be better obviously, but if a swim/run is convenient then I'd do it. As long as you are still doing bike/run bricks. Don't not do bike/run bricks because of this because those are the most important. I never do a bike ride without a run afterwards. 
2011-08-26 12:37 PM

It can't hurt. After all, the more exercise you do, the faster the engine becomes (or so says popular wisdom).

However, it is probably more useful to train in race format; readying your muscles and mind for race day. It seems to me that if I were to train backwards (RBS) every day and then do an SBR race, my body would be in for a nasty surprise, although I have no experience or data to quantify such a claim.

You might try using the time after your swims for a short (1 mile or less) sprint, i.e. running as fast as you can, pretending you are racing to T1 out of the water. I've had more than a few races where the jog from the water to the bike area was longer than I'd like, and I think that the shock of running right out of the water slows me quite a bit. So, if you can train yourself to push through that as fast as you can, the faster your T1 will be, and the larger the head start you will have on the bike.

Of course, post swim is also an excellent opportunity to practice transitions if you have a safe place to stash your stuff and your bike. 

2011-08-26 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
On race day there is always a run after the swim-sometimes a short one, sometimes longer depending on the venue. I am often pretty wobbly after the swim and the run is awkward to the TA, so perhaps the swim/run workout can help with transitions as well.
2011-08-26 12:44 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Like you, for the past few months I've done almost almost all of my runs after swimming or biking. In most weeks I'd have just one day a week when I do a long run and no other work out. I like this setup, as it keeps me to one workout a day, which is more time efficient. It also took away any concerns about running after swimming and biking. Since I tend to loosen up over the course of a short-medium run, I also often find that I feel better after the run than I did after the swim or bike that preceded it. I don't know whether any of this has made me a better triathlete, but it has certainly made it more feasible to be a triathlete while fitting in everything else in life.
2011-08-26 12:58 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I do them for planning convenience (swim/run day 3x/wk) and pre-race T1 training.  Both of the local tri's here have pier to transition runs of ~220 yards and ~270 yards, I've found it beneficial to my T1 times to brick a swim/run as part of training.  It's also a great way to warm-up for a good tempo/interval run.  When I was HIM training a while back I would run to the Y, swim, then run back home once a week.

I don't do bike/run bricks until it about 2-3 weeks before race day, then I'll do a couple short race pace runs just to help get out of T2 better.

2011-08-26 2:04 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I do it all the time. A swim in the lake followed by a run around the lake. I do not do it for any type of race simulation like a bike/run but because of just getting my workouts in.
2011-08-26 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

It's called an aquathon, and I've done 3. One more to go. And I'm finding I REALLY like this race format. Not that I don't like riding (I REALLY like it), it's just a whole lot easier to not have to tote the bike/gear to a race site.

But in training, yeah, I've done some. Like you said -- run to the pool, swim, run home. I find I'm MORE than tired/hungry after these workouts.

2011-08-26 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3661091

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

popsracer - 2011-08-26 12:04 PM I do it all the time. A swim in the lake followed by a run around the lake. I do not do it for any type of race simulation like a bike/run but because of just getting my workouts in.

x2...only substitute "in the ocean"/"along the beach" for the "lake" references.

2011-08-26 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

If the swim/run format helps you get in more training than you otherwise would, then, yeah, it's beneficial. If it's just transition experience you're looking for, you could probably get the same experience by parking your running shoes, etc. poolside, getting into them quickly, and just running a few minutes around the pool or building. It might help you get used to moving quickly out of the water, and dealing with vertigo if that affects you when you get upright. But it's not the same as the tri format, so I wouldn't make a special effort to do that kind of brick unless I was training for a swim/run race. Just finish swimming, get on your running stuff at a leisurely pace, and head out for a run if that's when it's convenient. Personally, I don't think all runs should be bricks unless they have to be. A run-only workout is probably best for speedwork or a long run, because you're not fatigued and will probably get in higher quality.

However,  if you're training for swim/run races (my favorite--in my neck of the woods they're called biathlons), it helps to do some substantial swim/run bricks to get used to the feel of running after a hard swim. For me, the challege is vertigo and some leg muscle tightness due to the longer interval between the run warmup and starting the run.  There are things you can do (ear plugs, but I can't stand them; getting used to running when dizzy, kicking harder in the last part of the swim, dynamic stretches as you start running) that can help with these issues.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Swim/Run Brick Rss Feed