World Triathlon Corporation
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 15m 3s
Overall Rank = 1188/
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 190/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:45am. Had a pretty good nights sleep. Got dressed, checked in on Hurricane Irene to see if I still had a home (I did), went downstairs and made 2 slices of GF bread, put some almond chocolate spread on it... drank a bit of coffee, used the potty... and grabbed my gear with Jordan and away we went...

I pumped my tired, placed a snickers in my bento box, put my bottles on my bike, checked my T1 and T2 bags, and went to get marked and stand in line. I was closer to the front this year than last, I think, however I still got in the water later due to the emergency stoppage.
Event warmup:

Nada
Swim
  • 1h 10m 10s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow... this was a great swim for me. Not much I'd change. I had no panic or scare at all, just like Kinetic and was super focused for 90% of the swim. My goggles fogged up once on the down river side and I had to stop and clean them. I lost probably 30-45 seconds there.

Else, this was better than I expected, especially considering the chop and how busy up-river was when I started.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. Train more next year for speed. I've got the distance down, just need to perfect the stroke.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Great, over 2:20 faster than last year at same course.

Nothing. Just got faster. By comparison the top AG for me had a 3:03 T time here, so there is some work I can do, but I'm not way off, and definitely above average for IMKY.
Bike
  • 6h 06m 2s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

So... mixed emotions here...

1) I nailed my desired pace. This was where I wanted to be precisely as told to my biking training partner and others. My HR avg was like 142 or something, which is great for me considering temp, etc. This was it, I should be thrilled...

2) There is no such thing as a good bike and a bad run. Well, as you will read, my run was BAD. BAD. So... I screwed up here. The good news is... I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't pace, I'm pretty sure it WAS nutrition. Around mile 70 I was in BAD shaper. Pounding headache, fatigue.. my speed decreased... bad.

At the time, I was unsure the problem, thought about Advil... didn't take it. Stopped for about 90 seconds, took a potty break, stood still and regrouped. I was back on the bike and trying to finish.

I started to think, for the first time of the day, I might not finish, even though I was doing great on times.

In retrospect, I consumed about 28-30oz per hour, probably a little more towards the end and a little less in the beginning. I've currently made no assumptions on if it was too much or too little. I just know it was BAD.

I finished the bike strong with a refocused attitude and told myself I was going to try my best.

Nutrition... need to go back to the drawing board.
Transition 2
  • 05m 40s
Comments:

Again.. happy here.

Nada. Just get faster.
Run
  • 5h 47m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I died. Coming out onto the run I felt like I might have a shot. I tried to hit 10:00s and kept going faster than that by accident. I eventually settled down to 10:40s. Stopped when I saw Jordan and Lauren and told them I wasn't doing good.

Coming out of the first 5k is when I died. I literally stopped and considered sitting on the side of the road waiting for a medic. I thought I was toast. Moving at all gave my stomach the most painful side stitches ever. It was awful.

i tried every few hundred feet to run, I could not. I didn't talk to anyone for a while and kept taking in liquids, rotating, at aid stations telling myself I'd either eventually start to run or I would not finish. No in between. I would not walk the next 20-22 miles.

At this moment I felt worse than at any time last year for the same race in hotter conditions. I've never truly felt like I should bail, but around mile 11-12 I truly stopped went up to a volunteer at an aid station ready to say I was out and then decided not to at the last second and asked for an orange instead. I wasn't going to let it happen. Ultimately these few moments are what I was most proud of. I clearly shit the bed on my run time, but I still finished, overcame adversity and kept going forward. Really proud of it. That's what IM is about, to me. I'll get there on nutrition and have a good time result soon.

I saw Jordan and Brady at Mile 14 and Lauren was gone, she had to leave for the airport. It actually invigorated me to try my best, I really wanted her to be proud of my result and not checking IMlive.come seeing 15:00s and thinking I was dying. I knew my last split was terrible. I spent maybe 2 minutes with J and B and then off I went. I was actually starting to feel a little better. I gave running a try. It still didn't work.

Around Mile 20 (still on the OUT on lap 2) I started to turn it up. I was feeling better. I was running (11:30s) and walking aid stations, and then walking a bit more. But I felt MUCH better.

The last 2-3 miles I started to run better, the last .7 miles I kept a 9:00 or less pace and finished strong.

Ultimately that tells me about my day, I should not have had those legs left at the end as much as I did. I just wasn't able to use them earlier in the run due to stomach cramping issues from the bike.

Figure it out...
Post race
Warm down:

GF pasta.. beer... water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition

Event comments:

I'm happy here... I beat all my times from last year on the same course (and some of them quite well - even the run), but I wanted more and was physically trained for more. At this distance though.. its about more than training and I screwed up on sport #4: nutrition.

Last updated: 2010-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:10:10 | 3862 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 108/
Overall: 648/
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Same as always... TT start
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:06:02 | 112 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 118/
Overall: 719/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling with a couple climbs and a few descents.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:47:53 | 26.2 miles | 13m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-30 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-08-30 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3666033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Way to stay strong out there and finish!  Congrats!
2011-08-30 4:08 PM

User image

SWOH
You hate to hear that someone had a bad race because of nutrition, but hey, you'll get it worked out. It's amazing that you willed your way through the stomach issues and finished. Congratulations!!
2011-08-30 9:22 PM

User image

Elite
Great HTFU moment!!!! I commend your toughness! Hope I can do that next year
2011-08-31 1:00 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Proud of you for pulling that out on the run!!
2011-09-01 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Nice Race bro...

nice way to pull it together and Keep moving...

2011-09-04 11:06 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Congrats Ironman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed