Other Resources My Cup of Joe » GOP Debate... TONIGHT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-09-07 3:26 PM

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: GOP Debate... TONIGHT

Hopefully everyone watches the debate tonight so that you can learn a little bit about the candidate that might be running.  As we all know it will be whittled down to only one person.  It starts at 7pm CST.

Of particular interest is Rick Perry who will actually be at this debate.  Pay attention, because you may not see him debate again.  His typical strategy is to debate once or twice EARLY in the election and then avoid any debates at all cost heading into the election.  His strength is the election process not debates.  Since he's going to be our next president, you might want to check him out while you can.

Edited by jgaither 2011-09-07 3:28 PM

2011-09-07 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3676733

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: GOP Debate... TONIGHT
jgaither - 2011-09-07 1:26 PM

Hopefully everyone watches the debate tonight so that you can learn a little bit about the candidate that might be running.  As we all know it will be whittled down to only one person.  It starts at 7pm CST.

Of particular interest is Rick Perry who will actually be at this debate.  Pay attention, because you may not see him debate again.  His typical strategy is to debate once or twice EARLY in the election and then avoid any debates at all cost heading into the election.  His strength is the election process not debates.  Since he's going to be our next president, you might want to check him out while you can.

Not sure about him being out next president, or even the final GOP candidate. What I do know is that if I am going to vote for someone they need to be in the debates for the long haul. I want them under the spotlight and in the line of fire to see how they hold up. If they can't take all of those debates and being able to keep their answers and information cogent, how are they going to handle being president (or in any political office for that matter) where the pressure is more intense and the results have a much more lasting impact on the constituents.

I am hoping to watch the debate tonight if I get home in time. I always love listening to the candidates, no matter what their stance, defend it. To me the candidates that stand out the most are the ones who actually answer the questions asked, not the ones who waffle without any substance or who change the topic and completely ignore the question. If some of the candidates can be straight shooters it will give me a lot to look forward to in the, hopefully, upcoming presidential debates after the Primaries.

2011-09-07 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Denver
jgaither - 2011-09-07 2:26 PM

Yet another example of Ron Paul being ignored.  I had no idea you were part of the vast liberal media conspiracy

2011-09-07 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3676759

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
bel83 - 2011-09-07 2:41 PM

Not sure about him being out next president, or even the final GOP candidate. What I do know is that if I am going to vote for someone they need to be in the debates for the long haul. I want them under the spotlight and in the line of fire to see how they hold up. If they can't take all of those debates and being able to keep their answers and information cogent, how are they going to handle being president (or in any political office for that matter) where the pressure is more intense and the results have a much more lasting impact on the constituents.

I am hoping to watch the debate tonight if I get home in time. I always love listening to the candidates, no matter what their stance, defend it. To me the candidates that stand out the most are the ones who actually answer the questions asked, not the ones who waffle without any substance or who change the topic and completely ignore the question. If some of the candidates can be straight shooters it will give me a lot to look forward to in the, hopefully, upcoming presidential debates after the Primaries.

I'm not so sure that skipping debates isn't a good idea. Sorry to say but there are a lot of idiots who can't make up their own minds in this country. If a candidate debates, some people might watch it, but I would bet the majority of people don't. Anything that candidate says in the debate is up for interpretation of the media and that is what most people are going to hear.

Heck you can't even watch the debate without listening to the commentators spin afterward. No one can just take what the candidate says, chew on it and then come up with their own conclusion. So maybe it would benefit a candidate to stay out of a debate and thus not give the media any ammo to use against them.

I don't really think that a candidate being well spoken or not is a deal maker or breaker. Obama can give one heck of a speech but IMO he is doing damage to this country that will take decades to fix if ever. Unfortunately it is just a big popularity contest these days.

2011-09-07 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3676759

Master
bel83 - 2011-09-07 4:41 PM

X2...I'll be watching tonight.

2011-09-07 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3676763

Master
Houston, TX
drewb8 - 2011-09-07 3:44 PM

Yet another example of Ron Paul being ignored.  I had no idea you were part of the vast liberal media conspiracy

Ron Paul is FUN to watch.  I actually kind of like RP, but if for nothing else, he is flat out entertaining!

2011-09-07 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3676774

Master
Houston, TX
Aarondb4 - 2011-09-07 3:53 PM
bel83 - 2011-09-07 2:41 PM

I'm not so sure that skipping debates isn't a good idea. Sorry to say but there are a lot of idiots who can't make up their own minds in this country. If a candidate debates, some people might watch it, but I would bet the majority of people don't. Anything that candidate says in the debate is up for interpretation of the media and that is what most people are going to hear.

Heck you can't even watch the debate without listening to the commentators spin afterward. No one can just take what the candidate says, chew on it and then come up with their own conclusion. So maybe it would benefit a candidate to stay out of a debate and thus not give the media any ammo to use against them.

I don't really think that a candidate being well spoken or not is a deal maker or breaker. Obama can give one heck of a speech but IMO he is doing damage to this country that will take decades to fix if ever. Unfortunately it is just a big popularity contest these days.

It's a great idea.  That's partially how he's stayed undefeated.

2011-09-07 4:34 PM

User image

won't watch it since ill be at work though ill read of it. i dont think we'll see anything new from the candidates really. some more talking points, obama bashing, jobs, small government, maybe anti gay stuff, some god and country stuff. typical republican stuff. ron paul will be talking of getting government out of everything, least he's a fresh taste in the republican field.

that be said they won't get my vote due to not only their unwillingness to reach across the isle and take a centrist stance but for the venom, disrespect, pro theocracy, anti-gay, etc stances.

as for rick perry i wouldn't trust him as president at all. first ill be a 2nd class citizen, being bi and an atheist isn't looked favorable upon by him, supporting an amendment banning gay marriage. the man is also very anti-intellectual, denying global warming. i'll be scared if he is elected president.

2011-09-07 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3676835

Master
evb4mvp - 2011-09-07 5:34 PM

won't watch it since ill be at work though ill read of it. i dont think we'll see anything new from the candidates really. some more talking points, obama bashing, jobs, small government, maybe anti gay stuff, some god and country stuff. typical republican stuff. ron paul will be talking of getting government out of everything, least he's a fresh taste in the republican field.

that be said they won't get my vote due to not only their unwillingness to reach across the isle and take a centrist stance but for the venom, disrespect, pro theocracy, anti-gay, etc stances.

as for rick perry i wouldn't trust him as president at all. first ill be a 2nd class citizen, being bi and an atheist isn't looked favorable upon by him, supporting an amendment banning gay marriage. the man is also very anti-intellectual, denying global warming. i'll be scared if he is elected president.

See...that is exactly why people should watch.  Rather than assuming something, or listening to the media's spin on it, you can make up your own mind based on what you actually hear them say.

And that is for any candidate and any election...not just republican or democrat candidates.  

2011-09-07 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3676865

User image

hamiltks10 - 2011-09-07 6:07 PM
evb4mvp - 2011-09-07 5:34 PM

See...that is exactly why people should watch.  Rather than assuming something, or listening to the media's spin on it, you can make up your own mind based on what you actually hear them say.

And that is for any candidate and any election...not just republican or democrat candidates.  

its just my thoughts of what will happen and as i said ill read of what happens, their questions and answers. the reason why i think that will happen is because that is all we see from the field, if something new happens i'll retract my statement

2011-09-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3676763

User image

drewb8 - 2011-09-07 1:44 PM

Really, you didn't?

2011-09-07 7:30 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Is there a debate tonight? I can't find it on TV whatsoever? Anyone know what time MST and what channel? Not showing up on Dish Network that I see, or did I miss it already?
2011-09-07 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3677007

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX

bradword - 2011-09-07 7:30 PM Is there a debate tonight? I can't find it on TV whatsoever? Anyone know what time MST and what channel? Not showing up on Dish Network that I see, or did I miss it already?

MSNBC, right now.

2011-09-07 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3677015

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Watching it live online at http://www.politico.com/2012-election/reagan-republican-debate/

I guess I don't pay dish enough money get MSNBC. Kind of silly to put a debate on a premium cable channel.
2011-09-07 9:13 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

I watched most of the debate did not find it until 30 min in.  I was leaning toward Perry going in, but score it Romney, Cain, Bachman, Perry.  Perry only jumped ahead of Newt with the closing statement on the Death penalty. I think Bachman handled herself very well, but not as well as Romney. Perry avoided questions too much, and Cain needed to take more time to explain.
Romney who I was very squishy on, did  very good job of answering the questions and commanding respect for understanding  the situations presented.   Ron Paul successfully presented his position on all the topics I am just not a Libertarian, although I do lean that way.  I think Paul's world view is wrong. Newt is the guy who I would love to have as my professor and I hope whoever wins the election has him as a key advisor but I do not think he is much more of an executive than Obama,  leadership is not scholarship.  Huntsman looked good spoke good but does anyone know what he said? He did say he would lead but I do not know where. If i could put a sign in the yard today it would be Cain but Romney earned the most points with me tonight.

2011-09-08 6:40 AM

User image

Pro
Disappointed again. I feel there is no longer room for intelligent discussion in the party. The focus on ideology and the anti-science pandering to the far right depresses me. GOP, you've abandoned me.

2011-09-08 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3677347

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

moldoverb - 2011-09-08 7:40 AM Disappointed again. I feel there is no longer room for intelligent discussion in the party. The focus on ideology and the anti-science pandering to the far right depresses me. GOP, you've abandoned me.

x2.  There is not a one of them (except maybe Ron Paul) that I would even come close to consider voting for.

2011-09-08 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3677357

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
So the GOP as abandoned a few of you?...well, its good that you can vote for Obama!
2011-09-08 8:21 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

moldoverb - 2011-09-08 6:40 AM Disappointed again. I feel there is no longer room for intelligent discussion in the party. The focus on ideology and the anti-science pandering to the far right depresses me. GOP, you've abandoned me.

? I missed the first 30 minutes so I do not know what was said then but what was ANTI Science? The belief that God created man? or being skeptical about man caused global warming?  And intelligent discussion does that mean that if a person does not agree with your position then they are un-intelligent? I thought there was a fair amount of differences between the candidates but they are all Republicans so it is only natural that they have a very similar belief that is why they are Republican.  So I am confused on what point would you expect one of them to have a different opinion? Lower taxes? Pro growth Pro business, Securing the boarder, energy independence, they did have differing ideas on the wars, and Social security.

2011-09-08 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
moldoverb - 2011-09-08 6:40 AM

The focus on ideology and the anti-science pandering to the far right depresses me. GOP, you've abandoned me.

Do you think maybe that had something to do with the questions asked of the candidates?

We all know this election will be about the economy. So why do you suppose so many questions had to do with social issues?

It's as though those asking the questions were following some sort of plan.

2011-09-08 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Was glad to hear that soc sec was labled what it realy is, a giant ponzi scheme.    Perry took slack for that, but he is right IMHO.   People dismiss his coments and say that it is far from broken.   Am I living on another planet?  

The debates really were anti-climatic.   To be honest, I though Jon Huntsman did the best job.

2011-09-08 10:18 AM

Master
Houston, TX

I have to admit that I was a bit surprised to see that MSNBC was carrying it.  A known left leaning channel.  I was surprised Fox wasn't (a known right leaning channel)  Either way, that doesn't really affect what the candidates say, so it's neither here nor there, just peculiar I thought.

Anyway, I have to agree with Moldo's assessment.  I've been a card carrying GOP supporter for more than a decade and have felt abandoned for awhile.  Apart from last night there is a general pandering to the far right religious values, etc.  I'm not asking for 100% undeniable PROOF, I'm just asking for an explanation other than "faith" or "it's not getting hotter".  You know, an actual intelligent discussion.  It just all seems to be show boating and no real intelligent representation of their views.  It's like one dog and pony show after another.  I know I'm not going to agree with everything anyone says, but the candidates are so polarized now that I feel pretty abandoned by the whole process.  There isn't a candidate out there that I think is of any value to anyone.

The GOP has lost my vote for the most part.  If Obama is my only other option, I may vote GOP, but I most likely will not vote for the first time in my life since coming of age.

2011-09-08 10:33 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
I have been reading that Perry went over and confronted Paul during a commercial break. That is odd to me.
2011-09-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3677694

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
jgaither - 2011-09-08 10:18 AM

The GOP has lost my vote for the most part.  If Obama is my only other option, I may vote GOP, but I most likely will not vote for the first time in my life since coming of age.

Great plan. Let others choose your President, even if you don't like your choices.

Here's the deal-- "none of the above" can't win.
2011-09-08 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3677733

Master
Houston, TX
scoobysdad - 2011-09-08 10:37 AM
jgaither - 2011-09-08 10:18 AM

Great plan. Let others choose your President, even if you don't like your choices. Here's the deal-- "none of the above" can't win.

Can't disagree.  But all the options are so bad that I can't actually pick to vote FOR any one of them.  a write in may be my only other option.  It may be a wasted vote to write one in, but it's MY wasted vote and at least I'd still be participating.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » GOP Debate... TONIGHT Rss Feed  

of 4