General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside Out Sports White Lake International - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elizabethtown, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 57s
Overall Rank = 100/256
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/36
Pre-race routine:

Up around 5:45, gathered a few last-minute items, decided on what tritop to wear, bodyglide, breakfast (PBBH sandwich), then walked over to site with George and Cat. Ran into Dougrob and we chatted for a bit, helped my rackmates with their setups some, just took it easy.

Actual nutrition plan for the day:
Gu @ 7:40am
Gu @ swim exit
water, chomps (4, then 2), and Gu Brew on bike
Gu at T2, with Nuun on the run
Event warmup:

Doug and I rode down to Wamsquam and back, I was just looking to see what effort a 20-20.5 bike would feel like. Felt like a lot of effort for some reason today. Would be telling...
Swim
  • 35m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

All things considered, can't be too discouraged with this. My sighting was right on, I don't think I swam a meter too far! I mean, I was HUGGING the buoy line. 11:29, 11:41, 11:46 for the three sections then:48 from ladder to mat.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster. I think this off-season will help there.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Holy crap, my worst T1 ever. I had bodyglide everywhere...except...ankles. And by the time I realized it, I had loaned my stick out to Cat and couldn't find any on my rack. So, I suffered the consequences of "wetsuit stuck on heels". Argh. Any gains in the water were blasted in T1. Suck suck suck. Oh well. Aside from that, my glasses were fogged, but everything else worked. I went with socks only because of the sandy conditions there, and the fact I didn't want any raw spots for Sunday's 17-mile long run, or any ill effects for upcoming Scrub Run 10k and Medoc Marathon. Looking big picture here folks.

Bodyglide at the ankles.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 6s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 20.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I was aiming for a 20.5. That was my '08 WLH pace. On the Felt tri bike. This time I was on the Giant roadie. I felt like the ugly duckling, getting blazed by every aero creation in the world. Really missed the tribike and it's sleek fork, seat-mounted bottle carrier, bar end shifters, aerobars...hmmm, maybe 2012 is the year for the next one? All things considered, I can't be too discouraged with this result. With not a lot of time spent on the road bike recently, this was okay. However, my nutrition choices on the bike set me up for trouble on the run. Working too hard to try to get to 20.5 in a bit of a return headwind, my gut wasn't processing the 3 things I was feeding it (water, Gu Brew, and Chomps). My initial plan was water in one bottle, Nuun in the other, and chomps on the bike, but I changed last-minute to Brew in the 2nd bottle (140 calories/bottle). I believe I was just taking in too many calories, so by the time I got to the run, I had a huge stomach cramp.

Stick with the original plan of nutrition. Oh, and do a brick or two during training :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

My goal was 1:00. Actually, this wasn't too bad of a T2, considering I wasn't feeling too good off the bike.

Not sure. Got in and out pretty good here. My dismount was dismal as usual, but this is such a tight dismount area it's not easy to do one and not wipe out.
Run
  • 47m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Miserable performance given my run training. Ironically, my hamstring issues did not enter the picture. Bike loosened things up as expected. I did have the beginnings of a left quad cramp due to not processing electrolytes on the bike, but I was carrying my Nathan bottle with Nuun in it, and those started to help after about 2 miles. Stopped for water at each aid station either to drink or pour on my head. Stopped for a LONG time at the turnaround.

Ease up on the bike. It's never won on the bike. The run is where it's at. I think back to how well I performed at Pinehurst, and this made me a bit sad, but, considering I decided to do this race 11 days ago, again, I can't be disappointed.
Post race
Warm down:

Proceed directly to the lake, strip to the trishorts, and immerse. Left hip flexor cramp almost immediately, but after a few minutes felt okay. Got some water and a dew in me and I was good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

GI issues, bike mileage, swim training, you name it...

Event comments:

I really did enjoy this race. The lead-up was nice too, staying 2 blocks away on Azalea, dining in E-town Friday night (awesome spaghetti), chilling on the porch with Paul downing a brew or two Friday night (discussing his plans for Bridge to Bridge next weekend, and IMWI next year!!) Awesome to see Mark Swan down there volunteering (way to go Mark!) at chip pickup, then to see him at run out/in and chat afterwards.

Last updated: 2011-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:47 | 1500 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 31/36
Overall: 172/256
Performance: Average
Actually a good swim, considering minimal swim training for the year. I was a little uncomfortable for the first couple of hundred meters. I do like that Setup now uses numbered buoys, but I don't like that they're all orange. I'd like some contrast along the way. Slowed a little for each successive 500m (hit the splits at each turn buoy), but felt comfortable, and felt like I was setting up okay for the bike. HUGE THANKS TO JON AND JANELLE FOR THE USE OF THE WETSUIT!!!!
Suit: QR Ultrajohn (borrowed from Jon)
Course: Triangular clockwise, start in-water by left pier, exit on right pier. Same course as the half, just a bit shorter. Water was churned up from Irene several days ago, and still murky. I missed the normal beercan-golfball counting fun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:06 | 27.96 miles | 20.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/36
Overall: 133/256
Performance: Average
Built slowly up to speed. Was at 20mph for most of the ride, got it to tick up to 20.4 and couldn't get any more out of it.
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty darn flat. A few little bitty "hills" (can I call them that?) that changed it up just slightly. Nothing that would ever require you to come out of the saddle.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:27 | 06.21 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/36
Overall: 58/256
Performance: Below average
Ugh, don't even want to see these. First mile in ~7:20, some were quicker, some were slower. I think mile 6 was a 7:06. Made a couple of AG passes within the last mile. 7:21,7:04,7:16 then some lollygagging at the turnaround :46, 8:44 fighting side stitch and urge to vomit, another random :57 of walking, then 7:22 for mile 5,7:10 for 6,:42 for .2(must've been short).
Course: Out and back along 53/701. Right (and I mean RIGHT) beside 701, sharing the shoulder. I don't like that course, it's too dangerous.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-10 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Inside Out Sports White Lake International

2011-09-10 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3680700

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Inside Out Sports White Lake International

The height of Brvity Bill. Great race. Especially on a road bike.

2011-09-11 3:14 AM
in reply to: #3680707

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
DougRob - 2011-09-10 11:09 PM

The height of Brvity Bill. Great race. Especially on a road bike.

. Details to follow
2011-09-12 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
It was great seeing you out there, Bill! (And thanks again for looking out for me after you were done!) Glad your one tri this year was a good one! Must be nice to be able to swim pretty good on no swim training! Cool
2011-09-12 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Nice job Bill. I think your swim time is great for someone who isn't find of swimming and who didn't swim much going into this! Sounds like a nice day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed