General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing/Health & Fitness Promotions, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 114/127
Age Group = 20-24 W
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, ate cereal, 2 cups of coffee, and a peanut butter flip. Got in the car, drove to Mt. Sterling in a HORRENDOUS fog. We actually missed the turn to the park because of the fog. Checked in, got a SWEET transition space (that's what you get for getting up at the asscrack of dawn). Figured out what i need/don't need...walked around, saw cute puppies!!
Event warmup:

The pre race talk was normal enough, then the pre race prayer, but we headed down to the beach on a 15 minute delay, and were then delayed 15 more minutes because of the fog..you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, let alone a drowning swimmer. The time got later, so they decided to just change the course from a triangle (counter clockwise) to a CC slim rectangle parrallel to shore. I paddled around in the water a bit, it was really warm.
Swim
  • 15m 42s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a really solid swim, I passed a lot of the wave ahead of me, which was Men under 50 I think. My wave was actually kinda small, but we took a lot of guys. I accidentally grabbed some poor wet suited guy's crotch because the water was really murkey and I couldn't see him there. Ooops.
What would you do differently?:

Not a damn thing, I saved my energy and still I had a decent swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Had a good run up to the transition area, quick stop to rinse my feet in the buckets provided (awesome by the way!! saved TONS of transition space!). Got everything off, saw that there was one girl leaving ahead of me, and I made it my job to get her.

Not be run into by neighbor not paying attention.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 54s
  • 28 miles
  • 17.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a good ride, felt fast, road on high gears. Nice mid-way refreshment stand with bottled water that was wonderfully cold. Caught the girl who held me up in T1, passed a few people, got passed by a few people on super fancy bikes. The ol' Raleigh held up well. The series of 3 hills was a bit rough at the end, felt a little crampy. Had a gel at about Mile 13

Take another gel.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Good T2, saw that I was 2nd in my age group, felt good, little stiff. Crotch hurt, hip hurt.

Nothing, or take a water bottle.
Run
  • 1h 25m 41s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 13m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't walk at ALL! Kept running slow and steady the whole time. Great aid stations with tons of food and gels. Reached 5K faster than I thought I would. Got passed by girls in my AG, which made me feel bad, tried to keep up, didn't happen, was demoralized for a while, then I got over it. Saw BT'rs leaving the half way station!!!

Run faster, train longer.
Post race
Warm down:

Finish was great, heard my name announced as I approached the chute, got my medal, had a volunteer take my chip, then had a cold electrolyte pop. Saw my boyfriend, got a very very salty kiss. Did a "leg drain", signed up for a massage (which was HEAVENLY) and waited for results. Sad that I just missed placing...but happy that I made my sub 3:30 goal!

So I guess I really am BOP...114 out of 127 is not where I want to be, but I guess I can deal with it. I was 39 in the water, 89 on the bike and then dead last on the run...DEAD last. Yikes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was really sunny, really hot, but aside from that, not much. I'm really proude that I ran the whole time.

Event comments:

Everything ran on time allowing for the delay for fog. Tons of volunteers everywhere, lots of drink stations. Thought the transition set up was a little odd. They gave away lots of free stuff because it was the end of the race season. They had a TON of food for racers too.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:42 | 1056 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 39/127
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Tri Shorts, Nike Swim Suit
Course: Slim rectangle, counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:33:54 | 28 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 89/127
Wind: Some
Course: The course was nice and flat, except for a few sizeable hills towards the end (esp. the last one under the damn). The pavement was really rough in some spots, and I took a jarring.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:25:41 | 06.55 miles | 13m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 125/127
Course: Flat, sunny, across a damn, down the road, and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-18 4:37 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic

2005-09-18 7:46 PM
in reply to: #248760

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic
Congratulations! and way to go on your run!!!!!!

Diane
2005-09-18 8:00 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Great race!  Congrats for not walking and pacing yourself!

2005-09-18 9:45 PM

NE Ohio
So that was you!?! Just kidding....There were a lot of people in the water though....

Very nice job!! It was very hot, especially the second loop for the 1/2 IM run. Glad you were able to get something to drink...they were out of water by time I finished.

Race report to follow, going to bed for now.
2005-09-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: #248930

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
mjsti - 2005-09-18 10:45 PM

So that was you!?! Just kidding....There were a lot of people in the water though....

Very nice job!! It was very hot, especially the second loop for the 1/2 IM run. Glad you were able to get something to drink...they were out of water by time I finished.

Race report to follow, going to bed for now.

THEY RAN OUT OF WATER?!?! AIE!

How about that bump right before the bridge below the dam? I thought I was going to have to change a tire with .2 of a mile to the transition area, ugh.

The swim was really clear for me, I didn't even touch anyone the whole time (Well, except for the poor guy I groped...hey at least he was in the under 50 category) and had a mostly straight shot at the buoys. I was really nervous that they were unleashing the Elite Men's Half so soon after the girls mini heat.
I must say, this was perhaps the most organized (professional?) race I've been too.
2005-09-19 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Dang, nice swim girl!

Sorry that I didn't stick around to chat. I was so ready to get out of the sun afterwards. soo...what's next?

2005-09-19 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Wow - your swim time rocks!  Great race and nice job on the run.

2005-09-19 10:52 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse

Hey phoenix. One day after your tri and you want to sign up for a full marathon? Wow . . .

Hey, sorry we didn't get to meet at the race, but I've written up a long piece on all the stuff I saw and learned . . .

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2005-09-20 8:20 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Sounds like a great race! 

Your swim and bike are really good - just need to up that running speed, but you did GREAT!  No walking!

2005-09-20 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

OMG...I expected the last downhill and let my wheels spin, reached 37mph!! When I saw the bridge/pavement edge, I thought for sure that my bike would fall apart at that speed or I would blow a tire on that bump. Gosh, I was holding on for dear life!

And, those disk wheels on tehm fancy bikes are noisy too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic Rss Feed