Telos Residential Treatment Center
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 27s
Overall Rank = 125/211
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed early last night- wanting to get a good nights rest. Slept pretty well, wook up a little earlier than I wanted -- stayed in bed trying to rest and plan for the race (ok -- I overanalyze). Was concerned a little bit about the weather, so was hard to decide what to wear. Made the right decisions in the end though. For the run/bike, I wore my Trishorts with a long sleeve Dri-fit top.

As you read this race report, REMEMBER, this was a reverse order tri, so you may want to read from the bottom up! That's how I'll load it. The run was first followed by the bike and then the pool swim.

One other curve that got thrown at us was that they decided to extend the swim from 300 meters to 350 meters. Took me a couple minutes to mentally prepare myself for that -- especially since swimming has been my weakest area. (or so I thought)

I used my Garmin 201, as well as a regular "race watch" for this race. I pushed times religiously on the race watch for Run time, T1, Bike Time, T2, Swim Time, but I kept forgetting to create a new lap for the transitions and bike on the Garmin, so overall distances are good, but the times/splits are off. That's my fault, not the Garmin's.

Got up, got organized and had a bowl of cereal and some juice. Took some vitamin I (ibuprofen) so to help prevent ankle pain from my bad ankle. Loaded up the bike and headed to the race. Got out the door about 15 minutes later than originally planned which cause a small problem later on.
Can you say -- No good real estate for the T-Zone?
Event warmup:

Got to the race about 8:15 and met Randy. Got the bikes unloaded and checked in for the race. After looking for quite sometime, finally found some real estate to set up our T-Zone. Met up with Runningfoo. Looked for pbarlowtri and VMR719- but unfortunately did not find them -- But on the good side, bumped into a guy I graduated from High School with that I hadn't seen for 20 years. Was cool to see him! (and yes -- he's MUCH faster than I!)

Anyway, we got our T-Zone set up and took a short maybe 1/4 mile warmup run. By that time we were ready for the race meeting, and the START!

Swim
  • 08m 56s
  • 350 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a great swim for me! First time competitively swimming, as it were, in my life. I actually PASSED several swimmers, which really boosted my confidence. I freestyled the entire distance, except for a couple short moments when I got caught behind some traffic that was swimming on back/side/walking etc. Also got slowed a bit by lane changes etc.

I will say though that during the last 15 meters I pushed really hard, and I think I may have even passed someone in that time! Not sure on the pass, but I know I picked up my stroke tempo and wanted to finish strong.

Felt good about the sw
What would you do differently?:

Work harder at keeping legs together on kick. Work more on breathing every 2nd or 3rd stroke instead of every stroke. Remember fundamentals better. Don't be afraid to pass other swimmers ( this got uncomfortable a couple times )

Transition 1
  • 04m 41s
Comments:

This was the transition from the bike to the pool. I walked quite a bit on this transition, as I was trying to work the cramp out of my calf. This was a LONG transition from the T-Zone to the pool. The T Zone was in a park across the street from the rec center so we had to walk --not run, they asked us to walk for safety reasons -- across the street, across the parking lot, through the lobby and the dressing room to the pool. They also staggered our start so we were entering the pool about 2-3 seconds apart, which helped significantly with "traffic control" had to wait about 30 seconds or so to get into the pool once I got to the start of the swim.

For this race, bring some flip/flops or something similar to wear across the parking lot to the pool. My feet got COLD!

Took towel with me to the swim area. Glad I did. Gave me something to stay warm with crossing the street after the swim and to get the water off of me when done
Bike
  • 36m 29s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Was a little tentative on the bike, and probably could have pushed harder in this area. First lap felt really good, had a good pace, and then came to the hill (Did I ever tell you I hate HILLS?) and completely screwed up my gear changes, downshifted way to soon, and as a result lost VALUABLE speed. Speed dropped to about 5 miles/hour. But -- Many people were WALKING up the hill with their bikes, particularly on lap 2! I DID NOT GET OFF THE BIKE... I PUSHED THROUGH IT! That was a victory in itself. Got to the top of the hill and was able to get some speed back.

On the second loop, I was a little more comfortable, and so opened up a little. When we got to the hill this time, I was able better manage my gear changes, and thus my speed didn't drop off quite as badly. Still got down to 5 miles/hour, but not for nearly as long! Good news on the second loop I passed several people, which was very exciting to me. I was still getting passed occassionally, but I was passing more than being passed.

As I approached mile 9, I felt a VERY familiar feeling starting to come on in my left calf! It started to cramp up like it usually does about mile 22 of a marathon. Felt like a grapefruit growing in there. This concerned me some at the time knowing I still had a mile on the bike plus a 350m swim. It hurt pretty good through the rest of the bike. I figure this may be partially as a result of the injury I'm still nursing in my left ankle. There was no other cramping anywhere else, which is a good thing

Practice corners more. I need to be more agressive in approaching a corner. I tend to slow down too much.

I also need to not be afraid of speed. I should have taken much more advantage of the downhills. I'd start to get really nervous if my speed got much above 25 mph. This will coming with more time in the saddle.

I need to work my firends the hills more. For strength training as well gear management.

Hydrate more on the bike, get some enduralytes in me as well.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Transition was actually pretty easy. Only had to change the shoes and add a helmet. But, I had a little bit of trouble getting one of my bike shoes on, and that slowed me down. Had to go a good distance to get out of the transition and "legally" mount the bike. As with my second transition, I didn't push it too hard.

Hydrated with water during the transition.

Maybe set the T-zone up a little better. Make sure the bike shoes were sufficiently opened to ease getting them on a bit.

I might also push a little harder to shorten Transition time. But I had pushed too hard on the run, and needed a minute to "compose" myself as it were and get a short rest.
Run
  • 26m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good route. Had some challenging spots (HILLS-- --Did I ever tell you I hate hills??)! I'm extremely pleased with my performance overall, but could have done better with less energy had I managed my pace better.

Overall, given that I've been trying to get an ankle healed and training has been a bit short, I'm very pleased with the run!

MANAGE PACE, MANAGE PACE, MANAGE PACE --- Not go out so fast and get caught up in the crowd. Control urge to run faster than I'm able.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around pool deck

Event comments:

No chip timing on this race, so wasn't able to determine my individual rankings. But when official results are published, by Monday they say, I'm hoping to get my overall and A/G rankings. We'll see when the official results are posted

This race was a GREAT race to do as a first triathlon. Challenging enough to require preparation, but not overwhelming. The race "sponsor" is TELOS Residential Training Facility, which is a training program for troubled young men ( Drugs, etc.). So the race fees go to a good cause. Additionally, this group uses Triathlon as part of the boy's therapy. Several of them competed today and it was GREAT to see boys overcoming lifes challenges by doing something positive like train/do a triathlon.

I'm now officially addicted to Triathlon! I had SO much fun today, I can hardly wait to get back into training for Tri number 2!

Last updated: 2005-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:56 | 350 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/211
Performance:
No Lap splits here -- The swim was originally planned as a 300m swim, but the field of the race got big enough that they decided to add 50 meters to the swim to help spread the pack out a bit.
Suit: Tri-shorts only and Swedes
Course: This was a 50 meter pool. We swam in a serpentine fashion. Down one lane, move over to the next, and swim back up -- move over one lane, and so forth. This kept the traffic in each lane moving in the same direction. was good
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:29 | 10 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Same problem with the laps/etc as with everything else. Ride time is good, but don't have good split data here.
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course. This course covered about 30% of the run course, Mile 1 flat to slightly downhill. Long Downhill between and then a KILLER hill on Mile3.5-4 -- Hill is about 1/3 mile long and quite steep. Course then flattens out again back to the start of the loop and we do the whole thing over!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85?
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:29 | 03.11 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Run was a loop. Mile 1 -- was mostly flat to slightly downhill. Mile 2 -- Big downhill followed by a KILLER uphill. Mile 3 -- Leveled out again into transition. By my Garmin, the run was a bit short, but not much.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-11-05 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: Telos Tri

2005-11-05 3:50 PM
in reply to: #278848

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
Subject: RE: Telos Tri
Great job, Brett. Congratulations! Now where are you going to race next?
2005-11-05 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Great job!  You're hooked now!!!
2005-11-05 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
The next on the Calendar right now is the St George, Utah Tri in May. I'm hoping to find another sprint distance in a reasonable driving distance to run in Feb/March time frame!
2005-11-05 4:35 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congrats on you firt race and great job 
2005-11-05 6:02 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Congrats on your first race and officially being addicted

2005-11-05 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Way to go triathlete!
2005-11-05 7:19 PM
in reply to: #278896

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Great job! Based on your recent swim training times, I had no concerns about your swimming abilities. You did very well, especially for the first one. You'll find that as you get more experience, you'll learn where you can push hard and how to get through transition more quickly.

I do agree that the hills on this course were very hard. I had a slower overall bike speed on this one than I did at Jordanelle, which was straight up the canyon for the first half. 5mph isn't bad on those hills, considering that about half of the people I passed on loop 2 were walking next to their bikes.

There's still a lot of time before next year, and you have a good head start. You'll do great!

2005-11-05 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on becoming a Triathlete!!

Great way to do a tri in cold weather with the swim last...but a bit of a delay to get in the pool.

You learned a lot and will be so motivated and prepared for next season!

2005-11-05 10:48 PM

User image

Valdosta, Ga
Awesome race! CONGRATS!
2005-11-06 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Great job Brett...   sounds like a pretty bizarre race ... or should I say 'backwards' race... lol..    Next time you will need to try the OW swim which is a LOT different.....   I hope you calf heals up quick... so when is the next tri now?  :-

2005-11-07 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

Great job, Brett!  (ahem, I mean Triathlete!)

Now get back in the pool and bang out that 1/2 mile!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Telos Tri Rss Feed