Set-Up Inc
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a local race, so we got up around 5:00am had some PB on toast, and I pounded coffee. We drove out to the race site and parked in the field where they directed triathletes. We got out of the car ... and stepped right into some good old North Carolina red clay. Nice. The start time was scheduled for 8am and, since it was a pool swim, my starting time was not until 9:19. Shannon and I set up our TA's, then visited with some BTers as we waited. Shannon started at 8:20, so after cheering her off on her bike, I ate a Cliff Bar, a banana, and chilled.
Event warmup:

I hit the pool for about 200 yards. They closed the pool for warm-ups at 7:30, and then I had two hours to wait. I did no further warming up, which I think hurt me in the race.
Swim
  • 06m 3s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

After waiting over two hours after my initial warm-up, my head just wasn't in the game at the swim start. I did start out pretty strong, though, and was closing on the swimmer in front of me on the first lap. She felt me getting closer, and sprinted out to maintain her lead. I passed a couple people at the walls, and I appreciated that they paused to let me pass at the wall. However, that would not last ... during the last 100 yards, there was a very tall, slow girl who was clogging up traffic. The swimmer who started in front of me struggled to get around this Amazon woman, and they swam side by side for 25 yeards, preventing my pass. Then, at the wall with 50 yards to go, the tall girl paused as if she was going to let me pass ... nope! Just as I came up to pass, she pushed off the wall. There was major congestion in the final lane, I couldn't get around her, so I just breast-stroked behind her, then walked the last 5 yards or so because she was so slow ... I lauched up the wall as she ambled up the ladder! So, I finally got around her as we exited the pool! LOL.
What would you do differently?:

I would have aggressively passed instead of trying to be polite. I was unhappy with my swim time, but I have to factor in the fact that I dog-paddled along behind the Amazon woman to be polite, instead of passing. Next time, I'll climb over them if I have to.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I could NOT get my stupid socks on. I spent far too much time getting suited up for the bike. I was very disorganized, and did not have this TA set up in a very user-friendly manner.

I had all my gear on my towel. My socks didn't go on easily because I was wet ... if I had things set up to wipe my feet off, I think they would have gone on faster. I thought I had everything set up well, but didn't ... so I'll spend some time working on TA set up and procedure.
Bike
  • 43m 40s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Within 30 seconds of starting the bike, I could tell my legs were not there. I don't know what it was, but I think I was just not warmed up very well. As the race course shot out of the country club area and onto a "main" country road, I put some riders in my "take down" sights ... only, I could not catch them! Then the traffic hit ... there was a rider about three car lengths in front of me. Three cars passed me, tucked inbetween me and the other rider, then could not pass him because of on-going traffic. Then we caught up with a girl on a mtn. bike who was holding up a group of cars as well. So, there we were ... bikes and cars going about 10mph. And, of course, the cars kept punching the peddle, then braking, then weaving ... they were about a patient as Fat Joe in a buffet line. Once traffic cleared, I settled in a little bit, got into a pace, and took down 3 or 4 riders, finally. I was then alone for a long time. Eventually, I caught a few more cyclists on an up-hill stretch. I then hit a nice, long downhill where I thought I would build speed and catch my breath ... but it was not to be. At this point, the headwind decided to be at its worst, and I had to work hard to maintain 15mph DOWN the hill. Ugh! We finally made a turn where there was no wind, and I spotted a good cyclist ahead of me. I put my head down, dropped into the big ring, and hit 28mph in an effort to run her down. We hit some hills, she bolted out of the saddle ... and dropped me. I was alone again for a long stretch. In the last couple miles, I hit a pothole and dropped a full bottle of water. I looked back to see another cyclist gaining on me, and dodging my water bottle. A couple tough hills, then I rode hard to the finish. I finally started to feel better on the bike ... but the ride was over.

A lack of a proper warm-up affected my whole race, I think. My legs just were not ready to go. I would have warmed up more, maybe a jog to get the legs going. I also wore the shirt I was going to run in, so I had my race number pinned to the shirt. On the ride, it was distracting ... so I will not wear my race number on the ride again!
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

I was SO angry about my sub-par ride that I was not in a good mood. My sweet girl (fitphd), having already finished her race, was in the TA. She cheered me in, then ran/walked with me to my TA ... which was WAY back. I jogged for a little while, then just got more mad about my bike, and started walking "in protest." That slowed me a lot. Changing into running gear went fast, and the actual management of this T2 was fine ... the slow time is attributed to my indifference.

I need to forget about the race stage I just completed, and just focus on getting the next stage going. I was so mad about my bad ride that I let it take me out of the game. I need to just focus on getting the run on!
Run
  • 39m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is the worst of my three sports. I look to pick up some time on the bike, so when I had a bad bike I let it affect my run. I was just out of it at this point, and had a bad attitude. I felt pretty good on the run, but could not catch my breath at first. So I dropped to a 1:1 run walk, then increased to 2:1, then 3:1. I started to feel better, but then hit the last hill. I was pissed about this race, no doubt about it. I let the mental aspect break me, and when I got to that final, long hill, I broke. I was mentally out of it, not having fun, and just wanted to take a golf cart to the finish. Shannon was there to root me up that hill and run with me, but my bad attitude overtook her great attitude. I hate that I couldn't push through the mental crap!

I would have run that last hill, and gutted it out. My head was so far out of the game at this point, that I could not make myself do it. However, I hope to not let the mental thing get me down and ruin the entire race.
Post race
Warm down:

Mike (HookedOnTri) had some great, cold drinks waiting at the finish line ... the drinks were WAY back at the TA, and not close to the finish line. Also cheering me in was my girl, Shannon. We visited, watched Dollar (ADollar79) come in, and then walked back to the TA. There was free food, so we got some pizza, fruit, and more drinks and sat on a sunny hill and chilled. It was nice!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't warm up well, and let myself become too much of a "spectator" while waiting the 90 minutes for my race start. I think this lack of warming up took my body AND mind out of the race. I was just not ready to go from the start, and never really recovered.

Event comments:

I wish I could have just put my bad race behind me, and enjoyed Shannon's company during that last stretch. I am NOT a pro, I am NOT someone who will place in races ... I am a weekend warrior, who needs to enjoy the training and races as a fun activity, and NOT a competition. So, I will commit to having FUN in these races no matter what my performance is! As for the organization of the race, it was good. The main change I would make is to have someone providing finsh-line drinks to participants, instead of making us walk all the way back to the TA to get hydration. The finish line is a part of a street festival, so there were vendors there ... but no support for the triathletes. I would do this race again, though.

Last updated: 2006-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:03 | 300 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
This swim time includes a short jog to T1.
Suit: DeSoto tri shorts
Course: This was a pool swim, with individual starts at 15-second intervals.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:40 | 12.43 miles | 17.08 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: The course was pretty nice, but the initial stretch was heavy on traffic. I actually was slowed by a traffic jam! Other than that, the course was nice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:59 | 03.11 miles | 12m 52s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was along a nature trail, which was very nice. The last 1/2 mile wound through the neighborhood, and included one killer hill near the end. Ugh!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-01 6:38 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

2006-05-01 6:54 PM
in reply to: #411625

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon
You have overwhelmed me with detail, I just don't know where to start.
2006-05-01 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Well, whatever happened...it must have been amazing.  I have no words.
2006-05-02 8:02 AM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Chippy and Bostic's comments cracked me up ... I started a RR last night, but didn't actually type anything!  I must have saved it before going to bed, although I had yet to type anything!  So, basically, they saw a blank race report ... sorry about that!  I have now filled in the blanks for my friend's Chippy and Bostic!
2006-05-02 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
I think you did great and I am proud of you, sweet pea!  Now, next time, I'm gonna pull out a cattle prod and get you up that hill in double-time!!
2006-05-02 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Ah, nice to see some detail!!

Yup we do this for fun -- easy to forget! Sorry your race was sucky, but glad you got some perspective out of it. Better way to spend your Sunday than say, doing taxes

2006-05-02 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Hey bad days happen to all of us.  Wait till you read my RR from St.A. You shoukld do what I do you concentrate on knowing that the lady who loves you will be there in workout clothes and that makes everything GOOD!!!...
2006-05-02 8:52 AM
in reply to: #412094

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Well done!

I like that image about patience like a man in a buffet line.  That's perfect.  

2006-05-02 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Hey buddy!  Tough mental race, but you never quit, you FINISHED!  I think this race was your epiphany.  It's about having fun and being thankful that we can do this. 

You're going to have a BLAST at White Lake! 

(You had better, or I'm gonna kick your ass!  )

I love any excuse to use that cool little smiley...LOL 

2006-05-02 10:56 AM
in reply to: #412053

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

fitphd - 2006-05-02 9:05 AM I think you did great and I am proud of you, sweet pea! Now, next time, I'm gonna pull out a cattle prod and get you up that hill in double-time!!

TMI! TMI!

2006-05-03 1:54 AM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

hey christian - way to tough it out, even thought it was tough mentally. I think in many ways the mental aspects are the toughest in this sport.

That's a great swim time considering the traffic jam. The staggered swim start like that is really tough to get warmed up. You'll get better on the run, it takes time. I don't think I started to improve on the run until the past few months, and some at the end of last season. Don't let it get you down.

Congrats!!! 

2006-05-03 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Christian, you are an amazing man in my book!!  Look how far you've come in the last year!!  Last June you were cooking attorney burgers for a bunch of crazy triathletes, listening to stories that you couldn't even imagine.  Now YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!  You freaking did it!!  I am SO proud of you!! 

2006-05-03 10:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Tough race...that's ok.  You got through it and you know what it feels like for the future.  You're bike wasn't that bad in the rankings.  Sucks to get stuck behind the amazon.  You're right...you were too nice.  LOL!

Hey...gratz on the finish!  You got through it.  No DNF's here bro.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed