General Discussion Race Reports! » The Callaway Gardens Fitness Series Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Callaway Gardens Fitness Series Duathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pine Mountain, Georgia
United States
Callaway Gardens
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 56m 17s
Overall Rank = 65/142
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 AM. Ready by 5:45 AM. Waited on ride until 6:45 AM...he was about 30 minutes late. Had a Carnition Instant breakfast drink.
Event warmup:

Didn't have quite enough time to do the warmup I wanted to do (~1 mile jog with 3 or 4 strides). Got to jog about 1/4 mile with 2 strides right before heading to the starting line.
Run
  • 22m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't feel as good as I'd hoped. Result was what I was aiming for, though. Tried to relax the whole way. As usual...I was passing people the first half or so and got passed by a few people on the second half.
What would you do differently?:

Go out slower at the start. BE IN BETTER SHAPE.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Surprisingly smooth transition. Didn't know what to expect...as this was my first ever.

Run better with my bike.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 27s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Two loops around Callaway Gardens. The first loop was awesome. I passed all the people that passed me during the last half of the run and then some. Then, about 1 mile into the second loop...CRASH AND BURN. I had just passed a couple people going up a small hill...the group leader was next...hard pedaling, up hill, around a turn, on a wet surface is NOT a good combination. It didn't take me all that long to get back up...I was lucky my butt was slick enough to skid down the road fast enough for the bikers behind me to react. It just didn't feel very good, though. And I noticed about 1/2 mile down the road that my water bottle was missing. VERY BAD. Pretty much was able to maintain my new position in the pack once I got back on the move.

NOT CRASH and have a crash-proof water bottle holder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

No problems in the transition area.

Nothing
Run
  • 30m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Not only was I in significant pain and tired, I was also a bit dehydrated from not drinking during most of the bike ride.

I don't know what to say here...I was really struggling the whole way just to keep my body moving. I think half the people that were behind me before I started running passed me before I finished.
Post race
Warm down:

Not good...just found my way to the Gatorade coolers and chugged down as much as I could, along with a bunch of food. I should have tried to keep myself moving, but I couldn't. Just sat down and stuffed my face. Let my buddy load up my bike and stuff, then came home to shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the crash on my bike. I just could barely move during the entire second run.

Event comments:

Volunteers were awesome...all very encouraging to everybody. There were several sharp turns on the bike course. They had people stationed at these locations warning riders to slow down. Other than the wet conditions, the race course was GREAT. I feeling I got while riding my bike on that course was like no other in my experience...and my average pace was faster than I've ever been able to maintain (over any training distance).

Last updated: 2006-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:27 | 03.11 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/142
Performance: Good
No mile markers on the course.
Course: Counter clockwise around Robin Lake (backwards from the race I did there earlier this season). Relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:01:27 | 18.6 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:04 | 03.11 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Clockwise around Robin Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-14 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Subject: The Callaway Gardens Fitness Series Duathlon

2006-05-14 5:51 PM
in reply to: #423446

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: The Callaway Gardens Fitness Series Duathlon

It was not only a race but an adventure.  Yikes!

Great job getting up and finishing.  That's the spirit! 

Nice job.  Glad you did not get hurt bad. 

2006-05-14 6:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Hey! Great job! Congrats!
2006-05-15 9:51 AM

User image

LaGrange, Ga

Good job...I was there and it was extremely slick. Glad you did not get hurt too bad.

Not everybody passed you on the run...you still beat me by a couple of minutes. I was just thrilled to be under 2 hours.

2006-05-15 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Nice work way to hang in there. Make us all think that we need to be careful on wet roads.
2006-05-16 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
way to hang in there after your crash.

2006-05-16 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Jered:

Disappointed with 7:17/mi first run + that you were able to get up and hammer after a crash?  You're too hard on yourself, my friend!  That is a great way to start the race season! You've already got your crash behind you

Seriously, solid performance build upon you gutting through (pun intended) some tough training over the winter.

This is going to be a great season!

2006-05-16 5:46 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Sorry about the crash, but Wow! You crash and still manage to go faster than you've ever been able to before? That is way cool.

And, you kept going - even though you didn't feel so hot. Good Job!

2006-05-18 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Hey- Great race!  Don't beat yourself up about your performance- Your run was smokin' at the start (wish I could run that fast...), and the bike speed was great, esp. when you consider there was a CRASH in there!! Sorry to hear you had one (I haven't had a serious one yet, and each day I ride I fear it might be the day...)  Seriously, to ride and run after a crash has got to take some willpower.  I would have likely woosed out and walked it if I was in pain & without a drink- I might have even dropped out.  So way to stick with it!  Pat yourself on the back my friend!!

Just be sure to keep that road rash clean and get it healed up... Hopefully it doesn't hold you back too much from having your weekly fun!

2006-05-19 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois

What a painful and rewarding race.  I doubt many can say the did as well as you after having a crash. 

I am very jealous about the race at Callaway Gardens.  I lived in Columbus, GA and had season passes there when I was in residency.  My wife and I  loved going there and just hanging out.  Now that I know it has a race I might just have to make it there for good old times sake.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Callaway Gardens Fitness Series Duathlon Rss Feed