Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Peterborough 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-29 9:34 AM

Subject: Peterborough 70.3

Hey,

Entering my 2nd year of triathlons (last year was all Sprints & Olys), and had been thinking about attempting a 70.3 this summer.  I had originally thought about doing the Muskoka 70.3 in September, but I've heard this is a VERY tough course, especially for a first-timer at the distance.  It also falls on the same weekend as the Wasaga Beach tri, which had to have been one of my favourite races last year and I'd love to do it again!

That got me thinking about Peterborough.  Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on the race?  Welland would be another option, but I like the idea of being able to fit another tri in as a warm-up before the 70.3 (Woodstock is my season opener at the end of May).

Thanks!

2012-02-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4072527

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: Peterborough 70.3

I've never done Peterborough but I've heard nothing but good things about the race.  It CAN be warm at that time of year - but we train in it... I've done Steelhead at the end of July 2x but they have cancelled the swim twice now ... so it's a bit of a gamble.

I am kicking around the idea of Welland.  Cedar Point is my big race this year, but Welland is close and flat...

2012-02-29 8:16 PM

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario

I did the sprint two years ago and the half-iron last year.

My thoughts:
Weather: Blistering hot both years.  Given the date at the start of July, you can expect it to be blistering hot again.

Swim: Nothing to complain about, other than a couple weeds in the first 200m.  I had a few navigation issues, but I think it was my fault rather than a confusing course.  At the time the race starts, you swim directly into the sun on your way back to shore, so sun-goggles might be useful.

Bike: Wonderful.  Well-paved and wide road, rolling hills, nice scenery, not much traffic.  I'd say it ties with Milton or Belwood for the favourite bike course that I've done.

Run: Less wonderful - The first 5km through beavermeade are very nice, the 16km after are on exposed roads without much shade or scenery (farmers fields mainly), and get very, very hot.  Bring a hat and white clothes.  If you've done the sprint tri at Peterborough before, the post-beavermeade run is pretty much the sprint tri bike course.  There's lots of aid stations.

And for a full disclaimer: I blew up about 8km into the run, so my thoughts on it might be more negative than it deserves.

Found the bike route on MapMyRide: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/40470152

Edited by AHare 2012-02-29 8:20 PM
2012-03-01 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4074022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario

I agree with the points made by AHare, and I too blew up but about 2km into the run, and lost about 10lbs by the end of the run.

Way too hot for me, I am avoiding Peterborough and likely sticking with Welland as the first HIM of the year for me.

2012-03-01 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4074720

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
If you are looking for a late season half, flat and fast course, not so hot, and fairly close, I would suggest Cedar Point. The Muskoka 70.3 is a great race, well organized, super venue, good community support, but as you said the course is tough. They have to add on several km to the bike course to get you around the lake, which makes it even tougher. I'd do a couple of other halfs first. In my opinion Steelhead is the opposite end of the spectrum for 70.3 races, little community support, nothing special about the venue, and as Stef said there is a reasonable chance of it turning into a du. Unfortunately I think Cedar Point, Welland and Steelhead are all the same weekend. Note that while Muskoka, Steelhead and Mt. Tremblant are all 70.3 races, Cedar Point, Peterborough, and Welland are not IM branded, so the atmosphere is a little different. It depends if you want small and friendly or bigger with more hype and drafting.
2012-03-01 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

Not to be nit-picky but Peterborough is a Half-Iron distance but not part of the IM70.3 brand (even though Trisport is owned by WTC).   The swim is 2km vs. the 1930m of a HIM, the cost is significantly lower for a non-IM branded race, etc. 

Muskoka's toughness is overplayed. I would guesstimate that an average Joe will be 10% slower at Muskoka than at a flat HIM course. The course is beautiful and it's reputation should not keep you from racing it unless you are pursuing a PB over the distance (in that case go somewhere flat like Florida). I did it 3 years ago as a overweight, middle aged guy and loved it.

I haven't done the Peterborough half but I have cycled the region and I do not think it will be much easier than Muskoka. Peterborough pushes up the Kawartha hill country and it may actually have more climbing than Muskoka (maybe)...

I would also suggest the MCS Welland Half-Iron. I did that one last year and it was my favorite Ontario race. The course is pancake flat so its perfect for setting a fast time (but expect to have your butt handed to you because the field that shows up for the race is very competitive).

Ottawa also has a HIM distance in the Sumersault Series (very flat) and Montreal has a Nice demi-Esprit race that is flat and easy (race on the F1 circuit)

Edited by mgalanter 2012-03-01 9:37 AM

2012-03-01 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4074827

User image

Elite
Ontario
mgalanter - 2012-03-01 10:36 AM

Muskoka's toughness is overplayed. I would guesstimate that an average Joe will be 10% slower at Muskoka than at a flat HIM course. The course is beautiful and it's reputation should not keep you from racing it unless you are pursuing a PB over the distance (in that case go somewhere flat like Florida). I did it 3 years ago as a overweight, middle aged guy and loved it.

Really - vs a flat course?  That's ~35min for a 6 hour finisher at Muskoka, I don't think so based on race times of people who have done Muskoka and other HIM's.  Peterbrough is not an easy course, but compare Muskoka to Welland and I really don't see where you get the 10% rule.  (That doesn't even consider the extra 4km on the bike)

2012-03-01 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4075959

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

GoFaster - 2012-03-01 5:47 PM  Really - vs a flat course?  That's ~35min for a 6 hour finisher at Muskoka, I don't think so based on race times of people who have done Muskoka and other HIM's.  Peterbrough is not an easy course, but compare Muskoka to Welland and I really don't see where you get the 10% rule.  (That doesn't even consider the extra 4km on the bike)

That's how it played out for me. Muskoka 70.3 in 2009 took 6:40 and Welland HIM 2011 took 5:22 so a approx 1hr:20min difference. In that I had about 30-40 minutes of mechanical bike problems at Muskoka and was a bit heavier & slower at running,  but about 30min is a good guesstimate for me.  Obviously everyone will have a different experience. I'm heavy so hills are not good for me. If you're a lean and light racing machine the rolling  terrain might not mean as much.

2012-03-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4074762

User image

Expert

DaveH - 2012-03-01 10:16 AM If you are looking for a late season half, flat and fast course, not so hot, and fairly close, I would suggest Cedar Point. The Muskoka 70.3 is a great race, well organized, super venue, good community support, but as you said the course is tough. They have to add on several km to the bike course to get you around the lake, which makes it even tougher. I'd do a couple of other halfs first. In my opinion Steelhead is the opposite end of the spectrum for 70.3 races, little community support, nothing special about the venue, and as Stef said there is a reasonable chance of it turning into a du. Unfortunately I think Cedar Point, Welland and Steelhead are all the same weekend. Note that while Muskoka, Steelhead and Mt. Tremblant are all 70.3 races, Cedar Point, Peterborough, and Welland are not IM branded, so the atmosphere is a little different. It depends if you want small and friendly or bigger with more hype and drafting.

Welland is in June

Steelhead is in August

Cedar Point is in September

So not on the same weekend at all.  Not even close.

2012-03-02 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
Sorry, I meant to say that Cedar Point and Muskoka were the same weekend. As are the 70.3 world championships and IM WI, so it is a busy weekend.
2012-03-02 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4074762

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

DaveH - 2012-03-01 9:16 AM  In my opinion Steelhead is the opposite end of the spectrum for 70.3 races, little community support, nothing special about the venue, and as Stef said there is a reasonable chance of it turning into a du.

Really?  I'm looking forward to a different race then... I thought the venue was fantastic - the dunes are gorgeous and a great place to spend the day for spectators - plus the double loop course on the run allows you to see spectators twice.  I wouldn't have said there was little community support - but coming from small sprints where there is no one out except at the finish this seemed like it had a lot of people all over the course.

I am looking forward to a smaller field.  At just over 2000 people Steelhead always felt congested.

2012-03-02 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4077606

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

I thought Steelhead was pretty cool when I did my first half there, but changed my mind when I started doing other halfs and IMs. I think you will find Cedar Point to be much different, and the same with Muskoka. I did Steelhead and Muskoka in 2008 and 2009 and it was hard to believe they were the same race series. Steelhead the nearest hotel or restaurant you have to walk a mile to the parking lot and drive into town, while Muskoka you are steps away from a great resort with a variety of restaurants. Huntsville had a parade for athletes, and welcome signs in all the store. In Benton Harbour/St. Jo there was no sign that the race was happening. In the two little towns that hosted aid stations on the Muskoka bike course I felt like I was riding the Tour de France, everyone was out cheering and ringing cow bells, and I had Lisa Bentley put my finisher medal around my neck. Steelhead there was no shade around transition, fewer port-a-potties,  they ran out of water, and the drafting was bad. I think every aspect of Muskoka was superior to Steelhead. My family won't go to Steelhead with me anymore but they beg me to go to Muskoka.

I think you are in for a pleasant surprise this year Stef

2012-03-14 8:49 AM

Regular
Guelph, ON
Don't over think this based on course difficulty. Muskoka is a tougher and slightly longer course, but the hard part is the 70.3 miles, so if you train well you can do either race.

I've raced Muskoka 2x and PB 5x, both are great races. The main difference for me is the rigamaroloe associated with Muskoka- e.g. bike check in Saturday, 70.3 coverage online, racing with Craig Alexander, higher $$$, etc. Contrast this with PB, you can probably sign up for the race that morning. The 70.3 brand was a reason I did Muskoka, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Peterborough is just smaller and simpler for those who prefer that.

When you are in the race there really isn't much difference in the production- both are very well run by the same group. We are lucky to have these great options close by.
2012-03-14 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I did muskoka last year as my first HIM in my first year of triathlons with no real background in swiming or biking or um.. running. The bike was tough as the hills really start to pour on later in the course and the run is no treat either due to the hills and the cumulative fatique. That said I did do it, enjoyed it, I just didnt have a time near what I had hoped for.

If you do plan to do muskoka also try to do the muskoka long course race in June. It isnt the exact same course but the tail end of the bike is the same. 2km swim, 55km bike 13km run. After doing that (as my first ever triathlon) I felt that the 70.3 was within reach with still another few months to train. I also rode the course once which helped. Doing it all over again I would have rode the course a few times and ran the course a few times - possibly even doing a brick at least once.

This year I might do another HIM but likely it would be Peterborough or Weland. I enjoyed Muskoka but the extra $'s for Ironman just isnt in the cards. I will do it again though

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Peterborough 70.3 Rss Feed