BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-10 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4141164

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
TriAya - 2012-04-10 1:01 PM
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-11 1:56 AM

mmm...cake....actually, right now I'm thinking about the peanut butter fudge egg that the Easter bunny (aka my grandma) brought me! 

But I digress (to candy, as usual).  What I wanted to say is, does anyone have recommendations for an indoor bike trainer that won't break the bank?  It usually takes a while to get a good run of pleasant riding days in Massachusetts (we should be there by mid-June!) and I'm thinking I should invest in a trainer (since I've been buying pretty much everything else they sell for triathletes out there, why not this?!)  But they seem to be available at various price points, and I'm wondering what the difference is and what's worth the money? Thanks!

Mostly the price points actually reflect noise and smoothness (that's dependent on what creates the resistance). Wind trainers, for example, are quite cheap, but they sound and act like hurricanes. I've had a super experience with a magnetic trainer, and in my experience (we used to have a whole bunch of trainers at my place of work in the U.S.), the difference in price between magnetics and fluids don't reflect that much of a difference in quality. So magnetics seem to me like a reasonable compromise.

The best, of course, is if you can find a used fluid trainer

Everything Yanti said, per usual.

I have a cheap one but it works great. As Yanti said, it is pretty noisy but that doesn't bother me. 

2012-04-10 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Seattle

I just signed up for my second marathon!!! It's in July. Check out this summary of the course:

2 1/4 miles of the course run underground through the damp and pitch-black Hyak Tunnel, a little like Seattle in November only alot darker. Flashlights are strongly recommended. Once you get about 50 yards into the tunnel, you can see a pinpoint of light ahead of you which is the "Light at the End of the Tunnel" over 2 miles away

The last 23 miles of the course are all downhill at a fast 80'/mile gradient except for one little 50-yard hill at about mile 9 and a few short flat sections

2012-04-10 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4141261

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-04-11 2:25 AM

I just signed up for my second marathon!!! It's in July. Check out this summary of the course:

2 1/4 miles of the course run underground through the damp and pitch-black Hyak Tunnel, a little like Seattle in November only alot darker. Flashlights are strongly recommended. Once you get about 50 yards into the tunnel, you can see a pinpoint of light ahead of you which is the "Light at the End of the Tunnel" over 2 miles away

The last 23 miles of the course are all downhill at a fast 80'/mile gradient except for one little 50-yard hill at about mile 9 and a few short flat sections

WOW! Sounds so awesome! This is the race Jo (jogo one) wanted to know about.

I *love* tunnels. (I think I really am a ghoul/vampire/etc.) Bruuuuutal on the quads for that length of downhill, though.

We have a real spate of signing up for things and first-race of season coming up ... so very exciting!

2012-04-10 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4141339

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-10 1:51 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-11 2:25 AM

WOW! Sounds so awesome! This is the race Jo (jogo one) wanted to know about.

I *love* tunnels. (I think I really am a ghoul/vampire/etc.) Bruuuuutal on the quads for that length of downhill, though.

We have a real spate of signing up for things and first-race of season coming up ... so very exciting!

Did I miss something? Did Jo ask me about it? 

2012-04-10 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4140896

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 10:36 AM

Alright, I am still catching up on the posts but I just wanted to share with you guys how special today is for me!

28 years ago (10 days after I was born) I was 2 pounds 11 ounces. I, from the time I was born, had not been actually digesting food. They dismissed my mother's concerns as her being a 'concerned and dramatic new mother' (even though I was her third child.) Anyway, obviously the sh*t hit the fan as no one should look like ET (I did,) even a newborn. They had to "fatten me up" to 3 pounds before they could do the surgery and all injections had to be done in my heel as it was the only place with enough meat on it. My poor parents lived in my grandparent's RV in the hospital parking lot throughout the whole thing (nearly 3 months.

Anyway, I have some pretty badass scars but turned out just fine (hold your comments) and I always like to take this day to just to appreciate life as well as the sacrifices my parents made for me during that time. 

Wow, this sounds like my story from about 21 years ago... except I am the mom in the story.  My son is now a happy healthy (trying to talk him into tri) 21 year old.  He too has some serious scars to show for it.  The biggest being a horizontal one that goes across his bicep just above his elbow. 

Thankful for modern medicine!

2012-04-10 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Managed to squeeze in a short swim between thunderstorms yesterday (pool closed temporarily).  It was my short swim of a recovery week so it was REALLY short.  Today calls for a bike ride and I am looking forward to it when I get home.

I am excited for those of you starting to race.  I have my first race next weekend, a running relay.  My first tri isn't until May Undecided

2012-04-10 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 1:25 PM

That sounds like a fun race.  At least you'll be out of the rain while in the tunnel, LOL.  I'm thinking marathon PR, ya think?

2012-04-10 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Now that sounds like a bad azz marathon!
2012-04-10 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 11:36 AM

Alright, I am still catching up on the posts but I just wanted to share with you guys how special today is for me!

28 years ago (10 days after I was born) I was 2 pounds 11 ounces. I, from the time I was born, had not been actually digesting food. They dismissed my mother's concerns as her being a 'concerned and dramatic new mother' (even though I was her third child.) Anyway, obviously the sh*t hit the fan as no one should look like ET (I did,) even a newborn. They had to "fatten me up" to 3 pounds before they could do the surgery and all injections had to be done in my heel as it was the only place with enough meat on it. My poor parents lived in my grandparent's RV in the hospital parking lot throughout the whole thing (nearly 3 months.

Anyway, I have some pretty badass scars but turned out just fine (hold your comments) and I always like to take this day to just to appreciate life as well as the sacrifices my parents made for me during that time. 

Holy cow Adrienne!  What a tough start.  You and your parents really got to embrace the concept of Love and HTFU early in life.  So glad you made it!  I was born with a broken collar bone (cord was wrapped around my neck 3 times, no ultrasound back then).  I was an ugly purple baby at first, not purple anymore at least

2012-04-10 3:11 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 2:25 PM

Where do I sign up for that one?  23 miles downhill is my kind of race.

2012-04-10 3:28 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Wow, you got me beat.  I was three pounds (? ounces).  I am twin and ended "the runt", LOL.   I love hearing stories such as yours.  Starting life with a lot of obstacles, but overcoming them to be the wonderful, badazz adult you are today.Cool   Enjoy your special day!

KansasMom, do the triathlon.  Weather is ever changing, so ya never know what it's going to be like.  Plus you worked hard so enjoy the day.   I have a triathlon this Sunday.  Right now the forecast calls for 50s and thunderstorms.Surprised  Hopefully that will change.  

My day called for a swim and run.  I swam 1500 yards straight to see how it felt.  I was a little tired near the end, I'm sure my form looked like a drowning duck, but I did it and I feel pretty good about it.  I just need more time in the water, so I can actually have enough energy to do the bike and run part.  

2012-04-10 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4141479

User image

Seattle
reecealan - 2012-04-10 2:39 PM

That sounds like a fun race.  At least you'll be out of the rain while in the tunnel, LOL.  I'm thinking marathon PR, ya think?

Hahaha, yeah, yeah, rub it in! 

Hmmm a PR...well, you just never know what is going to happen on race day but it would be nice!

2012-04-10 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4141425

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2012-04-10 2:22 PM

Managed to squeeze in a short swim between thunderstorms yesterday (pool closed temporarily).  It was my short swim of a recovery week so it was REALLY short.  Today calls for a bike ride and I am looking forward to it when I get home.

I am excited for those of you starting to race.  I have my first race next weekend, a running relay.  My first tri isn't until May Undecided

Well done getting the swim in anyway!

It's the Baker to Vegas relay that you are doing, right? I think that is a great way to start out the season. 

2012-04-10 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

Whoa baby!  Finally caught up!  Here are some thoughts, in no particular order: (and sorry if I missed commenting on something really important!)

-a downhill marathon and shark scars -  PR-city baby and cool!

-colds suck - but good luck at your race this weekend!

-fluid trainers are the best for indoor riding

-good job getting up at the buttcrack of dawn to swim and for running in the rain peeps - tough, tough, tough!!

-when can you call yourself a triathlete?  hmm good question - i liked the answer that went somewhat like "when you're starting to think about it, that's when you are one..." For me, I tend to think that it's when I'm training in all three sports consistently - I don't think it needs a race (runners don't need to have done a race to be called a "runer" right?), just a frame of LIFE.

-my new issue: trying to figure out what the hellz is wrong with my shoulder/back - grrr.  Good thing it's early in the season.  Someone mentioned it may be because I'm getting old... I almost decked that person (kidding)  but hopefully, it's a fluke and not a sign of things to come (like my body breaking down!)  PT, please save me!!!

I'm going to try to read this EVERY DAY! so I don't get so dang far behind!

(Oh and by the way, to the gent with the froggy avatar: your style of writing cracks me up! love it!)

Thanks for the laughs manatees!!  Flipper Flapps!

2012-04-10 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

That's a beautiful story. A real celebration of life.

2012-04-10 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Awesome! I would love running through the tunnel. Maybe a little freaky, but I think seeing all of the flashlights (or head lamps) bobbing would be cool. And then, of course, you would have to do those "beep beep" sounds and enjoy the echoes.

2012-04-10 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4140494

User image

Veteran
Maryland
kgore - 2012-04-10 10:42 AM

Way to go Yanti---weren't you supposed to be NOT doing anything strenuous for a bit? Oh well, go out there and have a great time!

School day for me, and it is a scheduled rest day too---though with the cold, its kinda been a rest week. My coach did say to not do ANYTHING if this cold is in my chest--which it is, though I am pretty sure it is mostly gone (never mind the fact that I have been awake since 3:30 AM because of non-stop coughing/hacking.).

I am still going to do my B-day race!!! This cold WILL be gone!!!!Yell It looks like the weather is supposed to be low seventies and clear too after lows in the fifties, definite plus.

Yuck! Feel better SOON! Way to still go to your race!

2012-04-10 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4141989

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 5:08 PM
rrrunner - 2012-04-10 2:22 PM

Well done getting the swim in anyway!

It's the Baker to Vegas relay that you are doing, right? I think that is a great way to start out the season. 

Yes, I am doing B2V.  I enjoy the camraderie (sp?) of that race.  My leg begins at approx 2:00 am this year and I get to run toward the city lights of Vegas!

I got my bike time in today.  It was a brutal ride in the New Mexico spring winds! But I knew it was only 51 minutes so I convinced myself I could do it.  Then I got half way in and wanted to call my husband to come get me but pride wouldn't let me do that.  So I got it done and my legs feel like I worked it.  I love that feeling!

2012-04-10 11:31 PM
in reply to: #4142227

User image

Master

Happy re-birthday! And good on all you parents for trusting your instincts.  Moms and dads just know!

Got a ride outside tonight.  I was out in just shorts and a Tee--I felt naked considering how many clothes I have had to wear recently...  It was a hill workout, but the hill I used was about half what was recommended, so I went pretty hard.  Definitely feel my weaker leg on hills, something to work on. 

I have a question about bike tune-ups/adjustments.  How long do you generally get between?  I had a tune just before my first race on Mar 11.  Around 280km since and my chain seems to be slipping/skipping cogs.  A bit of noise when peddling too.  I feel like I got a lot more km on before my first adjustment so looking for an average from others.

BTW, loving being a part of the Manatees.  I have gotten more 'inspires' in the past 2 days than I got during my entire time with another group--thanks!!Laughing

2012-04-11 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4141598

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Artemis - 2012-04-10 4:11 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 2:25 PM

Where do I sign up for that one?  23 miles downhill is my kind of race.

There's a half marathon in NC that you might be interested then -- 2000 feet of decent and much closer to home Smile

http://www.thescream.blueridgemultisports.com/home.html

2012-04-11 6:18 AM
in reply to: #4142008

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
TriRx - 2012-04-10 7:28 PM

-my new issue: trying to figure out what the hellz is wrong with my shoulder/back - grrr.  Good thing it's early in the season.  Someone mentioned it may be because I'm getting old... I almost decked that person (kidding)  but hopefully, it's a fluke and not a sign of things to come (like my body breaking down!)  PT, please save me!!!

I had a problem last year with not my shoulder but my shoulder blade.  Is this what you are experiencing?  If so, here are some upper back/trap stretches. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MwVy2SAdXs <- PT had me do this in a doorway, not on steps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kULDetJeJdQ&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQtZ_Mwz6oM

2012-04-11 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Kirsten, I have found that a little cleaning and lubrication goes a long way to helping the bike run better. I put mine on the car carrier about every 75-100 miles and wash it down with some Simple Green & water. I then wipe it all down and dry it off. Then I go after the chain with Simple Green and a tooth brush. After that is done I rinse the chain and cogs with a bit of water from a water bottle (the spray type) and let it dry a bit. T-9 from Boeing goes on at the end. All in all, probably about 5-10 minutes at this point, but it really helps reduce noise and shifting issues for me. The LBS had some T-9 and they swore by it. I am a fan now as well.
2012-04-11 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4142443

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

bcraht - 2012-04-11 12:31 AM 

I have a question about bike tune-ups/adjustments.  How long do you generally get between?  I had a tune just before my first race on Mar 11.  Around 280km since and my chain seems to be slipping/skipping cogs.  A bit of noise when peddling too.  I feel like I got a lot more km on before my first adjustment so looking for an average from others.

During your last tune up, did they change any of your shifter cables?  It sounds like maybe the cable has stretched.  That's kinda normal.  Bring it back and they will dial it in again for you.  They should be able to make this adjustment while you wait if they aren't super busy.  (I'm assuming it was fine at first and then started to act up.)

2012-04-11 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Good morning!

Hey, Yanti. How far were you from the quake today?

2012-04-11 9:17 AM

User image

Master

Good morning Manatee friends. 

I was wondering the same thing, Yanti ?!?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81