BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-11 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4134280

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - Open
TriAya - 2012-04-06 1:41 PM
feelingroovy - 2012-04-07 1:39 AM

Howdy!  I'd love to join the Manatees if there's still room! 

I'll have to post my info a bit later.

Peace & Grooviness!

~Valerie

And I like that song! (Now I can't get it out of my head ... ) Welcome, Valerie! (rhymes with Manatee ... don'tcha think?)

SmileYep, it's a catchy, happy song, isn't it?

I apologize for just getting my bio on here now.  Wow, the number of group pages has doubled since I last checked!  Here's my story:

Valerie

Back in the summer of 2010, in a bit of a drunken dare situation, I declared that I was going to do the Cayuga Lake Sprint Triathlon with my friend Sue the following summer.  This despite the fact that my best version of a swim was a glorified doggie paddle, and I hadn't done more than sport my ancient mountain bike around on errands in years.  And even though I have run a few 10ks and half-marathons in the past, I don't really consider myself a runner (years ago, my labs "taught" me to run on hiking trails, and I still pretty much run like a dog - take off on a mad tail-wagging sprint, see something interesting, stop to check it out, forget I'm supposed to be running, saunter off, and eventually rip off again Tongue out).  Then at Christmas my resolve was solidifed when I opened "Slow Fat Triathlete" and my brother made the comment, "Are you sure that's a good idea?  I mean, you are pushing 50."  So I joined a triathlon training group at my gym that winter (feeling like a triathlon imposter the whole time) and completed an indoor/outdoor mini-tri at the end of that.  By summer, I still wasn't feeling confident with the swimming, though, and two nights before Cayuga Lake, I kept myself up the whole night reading articles about drownings during triathlons.  So on race day,  when I emerged from the lake and hadn't drowned, I was so happy to be alive that I grinned the whole rest of the race!

Family Status - I live with my long-time partner and two cat children.

Current Training - I am about the most undisciplined person in the universe, so my version of training is to just try to get at least 2 each of swim, bike, & run sessions, and one pilates, into each week (recorded with S, B, R, P on my  calender). I am currently taking an adult swim conditioning class at my  gym, which has really been great.  A few months ago, I never would have guessed that I would be doing up to 2500 yard swim workouts, and I'm actually looking forward to getting in the pool now!  I've also been working with subbing some of my run workouts with race walking (after having a race walker in my tri group passing me handily during some of our workouts).  However, I sprained my ankle hiking a few weeks ago, so the R workouts are temporarily on hold.  And the Bs are currently just spin classes.  Starting in June, my tri club will be having Tuesday night group SBR workouts with open water swims, so I will try to be hitting as many  of those as possible.

Last Year's Races - Cayuga Lake Sprint Tri, Crystal Lake Sprint Tri , and Harpoon Oktoberfest Road Race (gotta love being greeted with a mug o' beer at the finish line!)

2012 Races - Willow Creek Sprint Tri, Crystal Lake Sprint Tri (probably), Pain in the Alleghenies Sprint Tri, Harpoon Oktoberfest Road Race.  I am open to adding another sprint tri and maybe a half-marathon to this, but I also love going to music festivals and on backpacking and canoe trips, so I don't want to be committing all my weekends to racing and training!  This year I'm going to work on getting faster, because I am currently very, very slow.

Weight Loss - I've been technically overweight for years, but since it's never bothered me or stopped me from doing anything, I've never tried to lose.  This past winter, though, I gained 10+ pounds in a very short time, and my body is not comfortable with it.  I'm not even sure why - no snow and thus no  snowshoeing this winter?  or menopausal hormonal fluctuations?  Probably a bit of both.  Anyway, it's taken the form of a definite belly roll, and I'd like it to be gone.

Well, that's it for now.  I'll  try to be better about chiming in here, as well as recording my workouts (that'll be a challenge for me - I've usually forgotten what I've done as soon as I do it!)

Have a groovy day, everyone!

~Valeriee ManateeCool

2012-04-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD

Hi! I'm here and fine! A lot of my friends here felt the quake but the Funny Farm was taking an early evening nap through it and failed to notice. Thank you!

Big temblor and aftershocks in W. Sumatra (Bali's actually about 1700 miles away from there but it really was strong enough to feel all the way over here!) but it looks like everyone's all right and no major damage.

2012-04-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4143063

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - Open
feelingroovy - 2012-04-11 10:20 PM

Valerie

Back in the summer of 2010, in a bit of a drunken dare situation, I declared that I was going to do the Cayuga Lake Sprint Triathlon with my friend Sue the following summer.  This despite the fact that my best version of a swim was a glorified doggie paddle, and I hadn't done more than sport my ancient mountain bike around on errands in years.  And even though I have run a few 10ks and half-marathons in the past, I don't really consider myself a runner (years ago, my labs "taught" me to run on hiking trails, and I still pretty much run like a dog - take off on a mad tail-wagging sprint, see something interesting, stop to check it out, forget I'm supposed to be running, saunter off, and eventually rip off again Tongue out).  Then at Christmas my resolve was solidifed when I opened "Slow Fat Triathlete" and my brother made the comment, "Are you sure that's a good idea?  I mean, you are pushing 50."  So I joined a triathlon training group at my gym that winter (feeling like a triathlon imposter the whole time) and completed an indoor/outdoor mini-tri at the end of that.  By summer, I still wasn't feeling confident with the swimming, though, and two nights before Cayuga Lake, I kept myself up the whole night reading articles about drownings during triathlons.  So on race day,  when I emerged from the lake and hadn't drowned, I was so happy to be alive that I grinned the whole rest of the race!

Family Status - I live with my long-time partner and two cat children.

Current Training - I am about the most undisciplined person in the universe, so my version of training is to just try to get at least 2 each of swim, bike, & run sessions, and one pilates, into each week (recorded with S, B, R, P on my  calender). I am currently taking an adult swim conditioning class at my  gym, which has really been great.  A few months ago, I never would have guessed that I would be doing up to 2500 yard swim workouts, and I'm actually looking forward to getting in the pool now!  I've also been working with subbing some of my run workouts with race walking (after having a race walker in my tri group passing me handily during some of our workouts).  However, I sprained my ankle hiking a few weeks ago, so the R workouts are temporarily on hold.  And the Bs are currently just spin classes.  Starting in June, my tri club will be having Tuesday night group SBR workouts with open water swims, so I will try to be hitting as many  of those as possible.

Last Year's Races - Cayuga Lake Sprint Tri, Crystal Lake Sprint Tri , and Harpoon Oktoberfest Road Race (gotta love being greeted with a mug o' beer at the finish line!)

2012 Races - Willow Creek Sprint Tri, Crystal Lake Sprint Tri (probably), Pain in the Alleghenies Sprint Tri, Harpoon Oktoberfest Road Race.  I am open to adding another sprint tri and maybe a half-marathon to this, but I also love going to music festivals and on backpacking and canoe trips, so I don't want to be committing all my weekends to racing and training!  This year I'm going to work on getting faster, because I am currently very, very slow.

Weight Loss - I've been technically overweight for years, but since it's never bothered me or stopped me from doing anything, I've never tried to lose.  This past winter, though, I gained 10+ pounds in a very short time, and my body is not comfortable with it.  I'm not even sure why - no snow and thus no  snowshoeing this winter?  or menopausal hormonal fluctuations?  Probably a bit of both.  Anyway, it's taken the form of a definite belly roll, and I'd like it to be gone.

Well, that's it for now.  I'll  try to be better about chiming in here, as well as recording my workouts (that'll be a challenge for me - I've usually forgotten what I've done as soon as I do it!)

Have a groovy day, everyone!

~Valeriee ManateeCool

Valeriee Manatee, I love it!!! And what an awesome bio ... I am chuckling in recognition ... and I *love* Slow Fat Triathlete! Jayne used to post on here from time to time but hasn't been here in a while.

So great to hear from you! And again, for you and anyone else who might be checking in ...

DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU MUST KEEP UP--JUMP IN, ASK AND CONTRIBUTE WHEN YOU CAN

but yes, please do use the logs so we can come and cheer you on or harass you, whichever suits you best.

2012-04-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4143090

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriAya - 2012-04-11 10:26 AM

Hi! I'm here and fine! A lot of my friends here felt the quake but the Funny Farm was taking an early evening nap through it and failed to notice. Thank you!

Big temblor and aftershocks in W. Sumatra (Bali's actually about 1700 miles away from there but it really was strong enough to feel all the way over here!) but it looks like everyone's all right and no major damage.

That's good! I was worried about you. 

2012-04-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4143148

User image

Melon Presser
Artemis - 2012-04-11 10:42 PM

That's good! I was worried about you. 

(100_7199 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
100_7199 (Small).JPG (35KB - 20 downloads)
2012-04-11 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4142583

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2012-04-11 4:25 AM

bcraht - 2012-04-11 12:31 AM 

I have a question about bike tune-ups/adjustments.  How long do you generally get between?  I had a tune just before my first race on Mar 11.  Around 280km since and my chain seems to be slipping/skipping cogs.  A bit of noise when peddling too.  I feel like I got a lot more km on before my first adjustment so looking for an average from others.

During your last tune up, did they change any of your shifter cables?  It sounds like maybe the cable has stretched.  That's kinda normal.  Bring it back and they will dial it in again for you.  They should be able to make this adjustment while you wait if they aren't super busy.  (I'm assuming it was fine at first and then started to act up.)

Yes, it was fine at first and then started to act up; no cables were changed last time.  Did a bit of investigating last night after posting and realized that my front derailleur is rubbing on my chain--I'm dropping my bike off at the LBS after work for them to fix 'er up.  Glad I figured this all out before this weekend!!  I'm going to have to sign up for a bike maintenance class the next time they have one, this sort of stuff doesn't seem to difficult to be able to do on my own.

2012-04-11 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...

Phew - good. I was worried about you too. (My geography is quite poor.)
2012-04-11 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
TriAya - 2012-04-11 9:26 AM

LOL You know, my geography of that part of the world is deplorable. I was looking at maps this morning trying to figure out how far away from you the quake was, and one map had Bali in green. I kept looking for the "green," and never did find it. I guess it's that small???

I'm glad you are fine.

2012-04-11 10:34 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Heh. Thank you, sweet Manatees! Yes, Bali is actually tiny in the midst of enormous Indonesia--18,000 islands, some with great land mass, stretching out between China and Australia to a length and breadth equal to that of the continental U.S. It always floors me when I think about it, too.

Also, Indonesia is right after the U.S. in population and catching up.

2012-04-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4143312

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
TriAya - 2012-04-11 11:34 AM

Heh. Thank you, sweet Manatees! Yes, Bali is actually tiny in the midst of enormous Indonesia--18,000 islands, some with great land mass, stretching out between China and Australia to a length and breadth equal to that of the continental U.S. It always floors me when I think about it, too.

Glad you are OK. You are rught about the population, we just FAILED that question during trivia on Monday night. Have an outstanding day!
2012-04-11 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4143411

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Second run for the week....done!

Slowly rebuilding my running base. Yay!

Hope everyone else is having a good day!

2012-04-11 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4143312

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-11 10:34 AM

I am not too bad at geography but I only just this year realized Sumatra was part of Indonesia LOL 

Glad you are alright, Yanti! 

2012-04-11 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4143529

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-04-12 12:50 AM

I am not too bad at geography but I only just this year realized Sumatra was part of Indonesia LOL 

For a coffee lady ... is this forgivable?

I'm still trying to figure out kopi luwak ... one of the most successful (and continuing!) scams OF ALL TIME.

Seriously, whodahell was like, "Let's roast grind and brew what this CATSHAT!"

And whodahell was like. "I'll buy it! For more than any other coffee in the world costs!"

2012-04-11 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4143560

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-11 11:57 AM

I'm still trying to figure out kopi luwak ... one of the most successful (and continuing!) scams OF ALL TIME.

And whodahell was like. "I'll buy it! For more than any other coffee in the world costs!"

I know, right?!

Also I am with you on the kopi luwak. As I told you I tried it. Nothing special. Not in the least bit. But seriously, us both being cat owners...why didn't we think of that? 

2012-04-11 12:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yes, definitely glad to hear all is well in Bali, Yanti!

Question for the pod - I am new to swimming, but I've really taken to it.  When I swim in the pool with my masters group (it's a standard 25 yard, 4 ft down to 8 or 10 ft. deep pool), I feel pretty good, move through the water ok, its usually feels fairly easy.  But when I swim in the pool at my gym (same length but 4 ft deep all over) it feels like WORK.  I mean, like I am dragging a 50 lb. weight behind (in addition to the 140 lb weight that I am!) I had a theory that the shallow water doesn't "hold you up" as well as deeper water.  My coach wasn't convinced.  Any other theories as to why an ok  swimmer does well in one pool and then drags in another? it's so weird! And it makes it so that I don't want to go swim on my own at the pool, which isn't great for making improvements.  Thanks!!

2012-04-11 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4143648

User image

Melon Presser
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-12 1:32 AM

Question for the pod - I am new to swimming, but I've really taken to it.  When I swim in the pool with my masters group (it's a standard 25 yard, 4 ft down to 8 or 10 ft. deep pool), I feel pretty good, move through the water ok, its usually feels fairly easy.  But when I swim in the pool at my gym (same length but 4 ft deep all over) it feels like WORK.  I mean, like I am dragging a 50 lb. weight behind (in addition to the 140 lb weight that I am!) I had a theory that the shallow water doesn't "hold you up" as well as deeper water.  My coach wasn't convinced.  Any other theories as to why an ok  swimmer does well in one pool and then drags in another? it's so weird! And it makes it so that I don't want to go swim on my own at the pool, which isn't great for making improvements.  Thanks!!

It's not that the shallow water doesn't hold you up as well (although the specific chem composition of the water and additives actually can make a difference!), but that a shallow pool has exponentially more chop than a deeper one. (Also, gym pools are notoriously mismeasured and it could actually be longer, you never know). Even more so depending on the gutters (some older pools don't even have them). You also get a significant draft swimming in lines up and down lanes.

For open water swim training, swimming in a shallow choppy tough pool is actually quite good so while it may feel like it sucks, the swim training, all of it, is great stuff. Keep it up!

2012-04-11 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Do you know if they use different chemicals in the pools?  I have recently been in three pools:  (1) regular pool at my gym, (2) hotel pool while away for work, (3) local pool for swim lessons.  I was noticeably faster in the hotel pool and the swim lesson pool than I am in my regular gym pool.  The hotel pool reportedly uses bromine (definitely something different since it gave me a headache).  The swim lesson pool is saline. 

That being said, I know that my regular pool is 25 METERS and the other two said they were 25 meters but maybe they are not?

2012-04-11 12:41 PM

User image

Master
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-11 10:32 AM

Hi Brie,

I too have found that different pools feel different for me and/or that I am faster in one than the other.  I have swam in 3 different pools on a semi-regular basis and a fourth on occasion, and each one is different.  I put it down to a)different depths, b)different pool temps, c)comfort.  That last one meaning I am most comfortable in the pool I usually swim in, and different ones just put me off a bit.  It has gotten much better the more experience I get. 

2012-04-11 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this - I felt like I was going crazy!  It's crazy how much little things can make a big difference.  I'll try to get into my gym pool more often (my goal is to swim 3x/week, and right now I have the masters AM class and then maybe a swim at the gym). 

I'm also looking forward to OW season, I think it will be good for me to swim somewhere without walls to really build endurance!  Although I'm not looking forward to a wetsuit (totally necessary in Mass)...I have a sneaking suspicion that it will feel claustrophobic and be mighty unflattering to boot! Embarassed

2012-04-11 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4143721

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-11 12:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this - I felt like I was going crazy!  It's crazy how much little things can make a big difference.  I'll try to get into my gym pool more often (my goal is to swim 3x/week, and right now I have the masters AM class and then maybe a swim at the gym). 

I'm also looking forward to OW season, I think it will be good for me to swim somewhere without walls to really build endurance!  Although I'm not looking forward to a wetsuit (totally necessary in Mass)...I have a sneaking suspicion that it will feel claustrophobic and be mighty unflattering to boot! Embarassed

What? Wetsuits aren't sexy? 

You are right though, they make me feel a little claustrophobic but you get used to it pretty quickly once you are in the water. "Warming Up" for a swim in my opinion is a good time to just relax in the water and practice that nice calming yoga breathing.

2012-04-11 4:03 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

My regular pool is a meter pool so I always feel crazy fast when I visit a yard pool.  Note the use of the word 'feel', LOL!!  I'm really looking forward to OWS season!

I finally felt well enough to swim last night.  At first my times were average (for me) but then I got mad at myself for being so dang slow, so I tried swimming faster.  I am beginning to think I am able to swim faster than I realize without blowing up, but it is a mental thing that I need to swim slow so I can make the farther distances.  I will continue to run tests on swimming faster and see how long/far it works.

Edited by melbo55 2012-04-11 4:06 PM

2012-04-11 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4143560

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
TriAya - 2012-04-11 11:57 AM

Sumatra is one of my two most favorite Starbucks flavors.  Lovin' that bold earthy flavor.

2012-04-11 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

Janyne - thanks for posting the stretching vids!  Bad News though: the pain isn't gone!  Didn't sleep a wink last night because every time I'd move, the pain would wake me up!  I didn't run yesterday and didn't bike today (wasn't planning on swimming at all this week).  Went to PT again today but it doesn't seem to really help too much- i'm still super sore!!    Hopefully this resolves itself soon - I'm stretching as much as i can and doing the strengthing moves they told me...but it seems like the injury becomes pissed off while i sleep...  I'm super sad and really bummed that I'm missing workouts...  I feel like i could probably run or bike through the pain, but I"m scared that I'll worsen it...  Anyone have any experience with injury and having to take time off during a scheduled training period????

bum deal, man.

So manatees, I hope your day is going better than mine.  Thanks for the geography lessons everyone - I'm much smarter about the location of Bali now!!  hehehe  Happy training!!

Flaps of fins all around!!

2012-04-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4144348

User image

Expert
Western WI

(Right after I posted, I heard a song my by Beastie Boys on the radio - now I'm a little happier!)  Carry on!

Edited by TriRx 2012-04-11 4:59 PM
2012-04-11 6:53 PM

User image

Elite

What a glorious morning in Melbourne, Australia.  The sun is shining, there's a chill in the air - a tru crisp autumn day.  I welcomed it at 4.45 as I got on the drainer for a 45mins steep climbing session - i love to just change up a gear every two minutes so by the end of the session I'm really struggling and feeling that burn, but I try to keep the cadence up too!

Running down to the pier and back tonight along the beach track cannot wait.

squad last night - details below it was a tough one.  Thanks Coach John Van Wisse!  (google this guy he's phenomenal - so honoured to train under him)

Warm up with fins

200m free style (50m Left side, 50m Right side)

200m Backstroke

200m  100m catch up, 2 front sculls: 100m fists

200m 100m mid scull: 100m fists

200m otter scull

Fins off

3x300m (100m breathing left, 100m breathing right, 100m breathing every 3)

4x150m (150m left arm only, 150m right arm only)

Pull buoy

100m breathing 2, 4 6

100m no breathing for 8 strokes, 8 strokes normal breathing

100m breathing every 4 (bad side only)

100m breathing every 5

100m cool down

PHEW!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81