General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition Tricks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-03 7:53 AM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: Transition Tricks
Anyone know a good source for instruction on transition? I know all about setting yourself up properly, being organized, yada yada, but there are clearly some tricks that are not widely written about.

One seems to be that trick for getting into and out of your bike shoes when you are riding. I see some of the better bike people coming into T2 already with their feet out of their shoes, pedaling barefoot. I have been trying this on some of my training rides, and have not clue how to do this.

Another "trick" (very few here probably have to worry about this) is to grab your shoes and put them on outside of T2 on the course, thereby not letting the next few bikers behind you get encouraged to see you still in T2. Let them think you are already out there running.

The only way I've ever gotten thru T2 in like :30 is to be wearing my sneakers with strap ins, but clearly others have really got this down.

2012-04-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4126477

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-03 8:41 AM

Veteran
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Transition Tricks
there are a ton of threads and videos on these transitions and a few recent ones in the last two weeks. Basically people leave there shoes clipped in and pull the foot out and pedal on top of the shoe coming into the transition. while leaving the transition its basically the same there is also the (rubber band trick) I have been practicing this during my rides and its not too hard to grasp. One main thing I noticed was when I started out I was trying to get my feet in without using my hands to pull the loop on the back of the shoe and it was really hard. Simple fix though just reach down and your set.
2012-04-03 8:53 AM

Champion
Philly 'burbs

JohnP_NY - 2012-04-03 8:53 AM Anyone know a good source for instruction on transition?.

It may sound facetious, but, do a bunch of races and see what works for you. One of the best sources of instruction is experience.

2012-04-03 9:04 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

JohnP_NY - 2012-04-03 7:53 AM Anyone know a good source for instruction on transition? I know all about setting yourself up properly, being organized, yada yada, but there are clearly some tricks that are not widely written about. One seems to be that trick for getting into and out of your bike shoes when you are riding. I see some of the better bike people coming into T2 already with their feet out of their shoes, pedaling barefoot. I have been trying this on some of my training rides, and have not clue how to do this. Another "trick" (very few here probably have to worry about this) is to grab your shoes and put them on outside of T2 on the course, thereby not letting the next few bikers behind you get encouraged to see you still in T2. Let them think you are already out there running. The only way I've ever gotten thru T2 in like :30 is to be wearing my sneakers with strap ins, but clearly others have really got this down.

Here's a video I took of a <30sec T2. Yep small race, but getting there early (for non-assigned rack races) has it's advantages of picking the best spot. Riding in with feet out of bike shoes, running dismount, run shoes with elastic laces, no socks, etc. Notice the guy who comes in second passes the other guy in transition. All less than 30 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_MKLNX2wcA

As for the idea to put shoes on OUTSIDE of T2, I've never heard or seen of that. Obviously it doesn't save you any time so not sure how this would be an advantage. 

2012-04-03 9:04 AM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
JohnP_NY - 2012-04-03 8:53 AM

One seems to be that trick for getting into and out of your bike shoes when you are riding. I see some of the better bike people coming into T2 already with their feet out of their shoes, pedaling barefoot. I have been trying this on some of my training rides, and have not clue how to do this.

A quick YouTube search will yield plenty of examples of this. Once you've figured it out, the key is practice. Find an empty parking lot and do it until you're comfortable with the procedure. It's not something you should try out on race day. ;-)

Another "trick" (very few here probably have to worry about this) is to grab your shoes and put them on outside of T2 on the course, thereby not letting the next few bikers behind you get encouraged to see you still in T2. Let them think you are already out there running.

I can't see the point of doing that. There's no net gain in time, and you'll likely have crud all over your feet after running out of transition and onto the course. Best to do it in T2.

Ken

2012-04-03 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4126674

Pro
Twin Cities

I can't see the point of doing that. There's no net gain in time, and you'll likely have crud all over your feet after running out of transition and onto the course. Best to do it in T2. Ken

And get in the way when you come to a dead stop in the middle of the race course.

2012-04-03 9:31 AM

One that hasn't been mentioned...

Practice it.  Whatever you are going to do, have a system and follow it the same every time.  When you run up to transition, know what you are going for first, second, third like it's second nature.  Before every race I'll simulate both transitions a few times.  Set it up like I plan to on race day, and go through the motions.

What almost always screws me up... I forget to take the helmet off in T2.  I go straight for the shoes, grab my hat and race belt, then realize I need to unbuckle my helmet and put it down.  The more I practice though, the helmet coming off as I rack the bike is becoming second nature.

I don't necessarily believe there is "one" best way to do it, but if you have a plan and execute deliberately and efficiently, you will be faster than 90% of the people out there

2012-04-03 9:57 AM

JohnP_NY - 2012-04-03 8:53 AM Anyone know a good source for instruction on transition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHcsqKM_mo

2012-04-03 10:13 AM

Pro
Twin Cities

If you wear a wetsuit, body glide on all the tough spots (thighs, knees, ankles, feet) and Pam on the suit from mid-thigh down.

Get there early and pick your spot. Even in ones that are "equalized"--meaning the sum total amount run to get in and out and in and out is the same--there will be a spot that favors your particular style of efficiency. 

Put your sunglasses, hat, race number belt on as you are running out of transition.

Elastic laces, or slip on shoes.

Know whether or not for SURE you are faster, and safer, with bike shoes on the bike or on in T1. Some people THINK they are faster, b/c they can do it...but in the end are not actually any faster. And, of course, there are those people who are bobbing and weaving all over hell and back trying to do it, which not safe.

No bucket/chair/stool, and no sitting, stopping to drink, open your gum, have a gu, no doing anything not directly related to putting on shoes (and helmet in T1) and leaving the area.

2012-04-03 10:21 AM

Master
Denison Texas

There are no tricks just practice and experience. Deliberate focused and efficient movement, not a frenetic rush works best. I put bike shoes on in T-1 but have my feet out on top of the shoes before the dismount line. I've never paid the least interest where my competitors where in transition, I would probably notice someone running out with their shoes in their hands thereby spoiling the "ruse".

I used to use my road shoes clipped to the pedals but found putting them on first didn't cost any time. If I get tri shoes I will re-investigate. Being out of them however helps with a fast T-2.

I found when I quit trying to be "fancy" and just stuck to the basics, early arrival in the AM, orderly and uncluttered transition and focused deliberate efficient movements my T times remained about the same or faster but I was less stressed and into the next activity with a better frame of mind.

2012-04-03 10:24 AM

Expert
Boise, Idaho
When you exit T1, run PAST the mount line so you have more room to work.  The accidents always seem to happen right at the line-too many people bunched up.
2012-04-03 10:29 AM

Pro
Omaha, NE

My T1's and T2's are really fast.  It's the only aspect of Tri's that I can say I'm close to the pro level.  lol

For me, it took a little money to start with.  Buying Tri specific bike shoes and running shoes was the big part and also having a Tri suit.

For T1 I have my shoes clipped to my pedals rubber banded so they're up off the ground.  My helment is sitting upside down with the front facing forward and my sunglasses are sitting in the helmet.  I run up to the bike, put the glasses on, put my helmet on, clip it grab the bike and run.  as I'm running I put my left foot on the pedal which is facing forward and get up to speed with my feet on top.  With my bike shoes the velcro is open and sticking out away from the bike so as not to interfere with the chain.  The one secret I found to getting my shoes on while riding is to reach down on the inside of my thighs and grab the inside edge of my shoes.  Then I just pick my foot up and slip it in.  Pedal for a bit without doing the velcro to maintain speed and then reach down and cinch them up. 
For coming into T2 I just reverse the process and un velcro and grab the inside of my shoe and slip my foot out and place it on top of the shoe.  Then I just swing my leg over so my body's on one side of the bike and jump off at the line at a full run into transition.

T2 is very fast because I just park my bike, take my helmet/glasses off (unbuckle helmet while running) and pop my zoot shoes on (no socks or shoe strings) and go.

No matter what you do, if you have to put clothes on (socks, shirts, etc...), or tie your shoes in transition it will slow you down.

Also, practice practice practice if you want to be quick.  I probably did the above scenario 20 times at my house before my first race.  Jump on the bike, ride around the block, transition to running shoes run for 20 feet or so.  Rinse and repeat.

2012-04-03 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4126884

Expert
mmrocker13 - 2012-04-03 10:13 AM

No bucket/chair/stool, and no sitting, stopping to drink, open your gum, have a gu, no doing anything not directly related to putting on shoes (and helmet in T1) and leaving the area.

Except eating cake,  that's ok because time in transition doesn't count right?

2012-04-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4126700

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
mmrocker13 - 2012-04-03 10:12 AM

I can't see the point of doing that. There's no net gain in time, and you'll likely have crud all over your feet after running out of transition and onto the course. Best to do it in T2. Ken

And get in the way when you come to a dead stop in the middle of the race course.

Good point. And as to the OP's question, he hit in on the head at the beginning. Being organized and properly set up will get you 90% of the way there. Concentrate on that before worrying too much about the flashy stuff.

Though I do have to say, the flying dismount is fun to do. :-)

Ken
2012-04-03 10:39 AM

Extreme Veteran

i don't put hsoes on bike for t1 but i leave them on for t2 and I always have among the fastest T2s (best was 10 seconds flat) just throw on running shoes with elastic laces, grab hat, race number belt, glasses, and run put it on while ur running

2012-04-03 1:14 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Thanks, I'll check out the Youtube. I have worries of crashing by trying to f with my shoes while riding, but I'll give it a look.

I think maybe some missed my second point I made about T2. This has less to do with time.

On more than one occasion I've seen or heard of the lead athlete trying to get out of T2 and out of view as quickly as possible. And that meant taking his shoes and putting them on outside of view.

The suspected rationale was not to let anyone esle coming into T2 know how close they might be.

My days of trying to be more competitive are numbered, but I would say nothing used to motivate me to pick up the pace than seeing a buddy or some other person i'd like to catch still in T. Feeling i am already behind probably does help me get out of there. There are a hundred things I can spend an extra 15 to 30 seconds on, but i wont if i feel i can catch up.

As another example, coming out of the water and seeing almost all the bikes still there is a very different motivational factor than coming out of the water and seeing half the bikes gone. Wouldn't you think?
2012-04-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4126884

mmrocker13 - 2012-04-03 11:13 AM

Some people THINK they are faster, b/c they can do it...but in the end are not actually any faster. And, of course, there are those people who are bobbing and weaving all over hell and back trying to do it, which not safe.

With practice & proper execution, they can be faster. See the differences here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWHELY0qxw&feature=endscreen

Otherwise I agree with you & spectators end up seeing these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJx-f_uuRrw#t=0m20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1hDKNqnUuM#t=0m29s

Cyclocross guys are WAY tougher though. Give 'em credit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2-6Eb6B9RS0

2012-04-03 3:25 PM

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.
T2 Tip: Have your race belt clipped together in T2. When it's time, grab it and go. While you're running, slip it on over your head. Easier and less distracting than clipping it on around your waist.
2012-04-03 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4127809

Pro
Twin Cities
Oh, I have no doubt they CAN be faster. I'm just saying that for about 90% of the people out there doing them, they probably aren't.
2012-04-03 4:32 PM

Extreme Veteran

watch this video...and then don't do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKajY5GlyI

ie:  If you are leaving for a 40k bike ride and your shoe falls off...take .5 seconds to pick it up again...

Edited by lifejustice 2012-04-03 4:34 PM

2012-04-03 4:39 PM

Expert
, Michigan
T2 Tip - put race belt, hat, glasses, gel, etc... in a zip lock or similar small plastic bag. Change shoes (however you want), ditch helmet and bike, grab bag and go.
2012-04-03 10:33 PM

Veteran
Singapore

All the tips already stated are very useful.  But the two additional items that were briefly mentioned that benefit me the most are:

1. Memorize the entrance and exit for T1 and T2.  Go over this 5 or more times prior to the race.  This will ensure no lost time of losing track of your stuff.

2. Mentally visualize each of your transitions before the race.  After I get everything set up and memorize the routes I find a place to sit and visualize the entire race and how I want it to go.  Then I go back through the transitions a few times in my head.  This helps as your mind will already be synchronized with your plan as you enter each time.

Good luck!

2012-04-04 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4128095

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
lifejustice - 2012-04-03 5:32 PM

watch this video...and then don't do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKajY5GlyI

ie:  If you are leaving for a 40k bike ride and your shoe falls off...take .5 seconds to pick it up again...

THIS..

Is why I do not attempt to clip my shoes to the pedals before hand.  I just put them on in transition. It may cost me 10 sec IN transition, but crashing and looking like a fool when trying to get my feet in the shoes OUT of transition will cost me more than 10 sec. 

Coming into T2 i will leave shoes attached but only for OLY's and shorter. 

Edited by Grnfsh 2012-04-04 12:10 PM
2012-04-04 2:12 PM

Regular
Raleigh, NC

Here are three good videos for transitions...

setup, T1 and T2

www.osbmultisport.com/transitions.html

- Adam

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition Tricks Rss Feed  

of 2