Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 17s
Overall Rank = 118/511
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/86
Pre-race routine:

The announced 3 days before the race that the race moved it's site. The only thing that was similar was the bike course, went same loop opposite direction I think and different start/stop location. New swim and new run they said on website was on gravel, what??? Drove up to race site night before to check out course. Swam a short bit at start of course, water felt great, in back bay, so water should be calm in the morning. A+ scout report for swim. Race director stopped by as I was changing to chat with me, he seemed like a nice guy, said the new owners of the site backed out and it was a big mess. He luckily got a local farmer to grant access to his land. Bike 15 mins, felt a little knee pain, not a good sign, had hoped it would be better after taking week off. Ran course, new course and on coarse gravel driveway, really hard to keep footing and knee pain persists. Great weather and forecast for tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to the race except hesitant that this is the right decision with my knee for my IMLP training.

Got up had almond butter on multi-grain bun, OJ and coffee. Banana on drive to site. Got to site, set up transition, got a middle rack on the inside so pretty good position. Got timing chip, back to car to check on things and work through setup and race plan. Sun was out and getting nice already, close to 60 at race start, perfect.
Event warmup:

Ran part of course, more knee pain, worse than yesterday, but bearable, thinking I can always stop in the race if it feels to bad...hopefully. Stretched. Grabbed wetsuit and shoes to wear down to swim start. Final transition set up and head put on wetsuit, headed down to swim start. Got in water to warm up, felt good, weather perfect, excitement in the air, getting really pumped up now. Looked for sighting markers both ways in course.
Swim
  • 25m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Practiced sighting in pool this week, I always zigzag and bilateral breathing doesn't help me. I figured out that I tend to drift right wildly, so I was going to sight often and be aware of my natural drifting to right side. Stayed back at start, only about 3-4 swimmers deep, so figure no reason to get in the mix at start. Started off strong, then had to pass swimmers anyways and got a right hook into my google, knocked it around and got some water in it, thought about stopping, but it really was bothering me much and figured I would stop if it started to. Pushed first 500, then kept it up to a comfortable hard pace. Sighted often, tried to draft, but never really caught any legs for more than a few strokes once or twice. Came up on each pack of 3 waves ahead of me along the way and navigated through the breast stroke kickers successfully. Came up on one of the white caps, front group, that was cool. Looked up ahead, getting close to final turn and saw a pack of green caps, my AG, thought it might be the lead pack, haha, not quite, but looking at results, there was a pack of 4 just 10-15 seconds ahead of me and I was 7th. I came out of the water 8 seconds behind one guy in that pack and finished the race 15 seconds ahead of him, so that was cool, I'm usually the one just missing a position by a few seconds. Pushed strong at the end and increased kick to get blood flowing in the legs. Happy with my improved sighting technique, I probably saved some time here, went off course a few times but was relatively quick to correct.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Decent transition. Pulled down wetsuit to waist on run to bike, took off cap and googles as I approached bike. I need to keep my googles on to see though. Body glide worked on ankles and wrists well since I didn't practice wetsuit take off and first swim this year with it. Short run up hill from swim. Garmin on, shades on, helmet on, shoes on, ok, guess that's it, time to go, jog bike out of transition and up small steep hill to road.

I need to practice getting on bike and quickly getting my cleats clipped in. I futz with trying to clip in several times, even in training, probably an easy thing to practice and correct.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 17s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Wanted to be in 20-21 mph range and hit that goal. Kept cadence about 90 to reduce knee pain and it helped although anytime I tried to push it, my knee started talking to me so I laid off a little.

All was going good, then at lap one where the bikers were coming out of transition which was right on a downhill for second lap, I had to brake and come to a skid stop and almost hit the car ahead of me. It appeared he didn't know what to do and seemed like no one was directing him and bikers. Traffic on both sides and no where for me to go. So I lost full speed and had to wait for everything to clear out, little upset at that but something out of my control, so I didn't worry about it and moved on. Second lap went well, think I was close to an even split.

Yell ahead at loop one that I was passing and see if they would have cleared way for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Needed my no lace, but never put them on my new shoes, oh well, a few seconds lost, no biggie. The guy ahead of me got out of his shoes on the bike and must of had the no lace thingy going, he racked his bike and was running out of transition, so that's how a sub min t2 is done, made it looked effortless as I was bending down tying my shoes!

no lace in shoes
Run
  • 47m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Planned lap 1 btw 8:06-8:30, started around 8:30 and worked down to 8:06 by end of lap, so felt good starting lap 2. Continued to push each mile of final 5k and knew I would have a good run time. Better time than any open 10k I've ever done by 34 seconds. Very tough run course, poor footing, lots of little turns, not a great layout.

nothing really with my knee the way it was
Post race
Warm down:

stretching, icyhot patch on knee

What limited your ability to perform faster:

knee pain, everything else went great/according to plan

Event comments:

8 minutes below my best time prediction and 23+ minutes PR, although bike course was 1 mile shorter. Looks like I was 14th in my AG, improved over 39th place in 2010 my first and only other Olympic distance, same race. Other than my knee, that was a good day.

Last updated: 2011-12-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/86
Overall: 83/511
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra vortex3 full
Course: point to point in semi-rectangle, in back bay cove
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:06:17 | 23 miles | 20.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/86
Overall: 161/511
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps, small rollers, pretty flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:34 | 06.21 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/86
Overall: 147/511
Course: 2 laps on coarse gravel 80% and another 20% on uneven grass field. 6 180 turnarounds
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-04-15 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: Rumpus in Bumpass International

2012-04-15 10:51 PM
in reply to: #4152546

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Rumpus in Bumpass International

Whoa!

A 23 minute drop from your past PR is awesome.  Get your RICE; take a few aspirin and look ahead.  You've put a great race in the books to start the year.

Also, good job letting the traffic situation on lap1/lap2 go so that it didn't mess up your head.  You could control your cadence but not the other guy's driving.  Good discipline.

2012-04-16 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Great race, 23+ minute PR is great.  Keep up the good work,  you can tell it's paying off during the first race.  Keep an eye on that knee, you want it at it's best come July in LP.  I don't have a race for a couple weeks but I'm getting excited from hearing about your race.
2012-04-16 10:28 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
great job! 
2012-04-16 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT