Mach Tenn Running Club
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 23s
Overall Rank = 281/289
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/16
Pre-race routine:

Day before I went to bike shop to have my side water bottle holders put on. It took the bike shop guy about 20 minutes to figure out how we were going to mount my bike on my new bike rack...my frame so small it didn't fit..very funny folks. I packed up my stuff with my bright new towels, gave instructions to the neighbor who was staying over to watch Eli my dog and drove to Chris Bost's house to spend the night. (otherwise I would have had almost 2 hr ride to site). His mom was there too :). Got in. Had great pasta waiting for me. We yacked way too late into the night and Chris introduced me to the world of myspace....I just thought young kids on that but he proved me wrong as even people in my old age were on there. It cracked me up. Ok so Antonio Banderas did not show up in my dreams this time...but I awoke at 3 am to a scene from Stephen King's IT...I read it like 20 years ago? anyway, scene is where these childhood friends have to go back to their hometown to kill this thing. Anyway, the thing manifested in different forms, bascially your own worse fears..uh what was up with that? was I facing an old fear in this race? Maybe the bike thing since that is my biggest fear and since I crashed this week and have this big gash on my ankle...anyway
Event warmup:

I got up at 4:30, braided my hair, ate a peanut butter sandwich, headed to site. I picked a spot for transition a couple rows away from Chris...frankly I got as close to bike in/out as possible...why run with the bike longer than you needed to? I was right in between really good guys...their numbers were like all below 50. They were giving me lots of pep talk and helped me with stuff. They all loved my bright towel and said it would help them find their bike. Yeah Glad I could be of help. :) I ran into a couple guys from bike shop and then a guy friend from my bible study (he is doing Florida IM)...(I have been ditching the study lately so he didn't even know I was going to be there). I frankly should have done practice swim, but didn't. Found out that it would be Wet suit ok, which was weird b/c water temp had been 80 all week. Frankly I was fine in water and I think it was over 78 but whatever. One less thing for me to worry about :). It was a 6 second interval start which I am sure is better than the mass clumps but since I guessed 30 minutes since I didn't know how I would do in OW swim, I was 300 out of 320 :) I had to wait a good 20 minutes before starting. It was hard seeing at least 50 people come out of water before I even got in :)
Swim
  • 26m 30s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok I didn't bother with a practice swim and paid the price for it. I was not afraid to do a lake swim in general and was so calm about it that I was afraid if my practice wouldn't go well it would mess me up. I realized too late I hadn't swam in a lake or OW (I am from CT with the long island sound(toilet bowl really)) in about 5 years...what was I thinking? I should have gone out there. I put myself in the 30 minute group so I was basically one of the last people in the water. Big mistake. I got behind 3 people swimming together and they were taking up such a wide span I couldn't get past them for the longest time. I did notice the water took my breath away so for about 200 yrds swam breaststroke until I felt good. Almost immediately I noticed my chip strap was coming undone (I had noticed the velcrove seemed worn out) so instead of worrying about it sinking I grabbed it and swam with it in my hand. I wish oh wish I had my watch going b/c I KNOW I swam much faster on the return when I got a groove and finally got past those 3! I actually really enjoyed the swim. The lake was as clear as it could be, didn't takes funky and well the longer I swam in it, the more I felt like I had a good stroke going. By the way, because the strap was in my hand, it didn't register the end of my swim and T1 so I have had to guess based on how long I know I took in T1
What would you do differently?:

Practiced in morning to get chill and nerves out. Seed myself higher to not be with the non swimmers who were finding creative ways to move in the water. Practice more open water. Trust my stroke better. I realized on the way back I was moving pretty straight and didn't need to sight as often as I was. Practice practice practice...You can tell I haven't had much swim practice with my time :) My time was worse than Monday but that was only 200 yrds and in a pool...I think I took a long time to get acclimated to the OW.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

This transition was a disaster. I got to my spot. Uh...had my pretty red towel but no worries on finding my bike. There were only 12 of us coming out of water so not hard to find your bike when it is the only one left :). I ran up the bumpy hill to get to spot but as soon as I put on my shoes I got light headed and almost passed out. Don't know why. So stopped and tried to breath past it. Put on the chip strap but it was not sticking. Damn thing. Ran to the bike transition only to realize damn strap fell off and had to run back and get it so this may have taken more than 3 1/2 min. (I did 2 1/2 last week so used that as my guess).

If I feel like strap not working, change it before race. I have a very organized display so that doesn't seem to be my problem, I just am so dizzy that it is hard for me to move fast. so I guess, get better at swim?
Bike
  • 1h 05m 55s
  • 16 miles
  • 14.56 mile/hr
Comments:

ok I just need to practice. I cannot tell you how hard I was pushing myself and how high my heartrate was getting. I know I am not riding efficiently...cuz I can do 20 mph on bike at gym without my HR getting up but on the bike on a course I am sqeaking along and I feel like I am dying. This time, I couldn't wait for the downhills and took as much advantage as I could. I will say I was pissed because in T1 when I had to turn around for my strap, the only men that were still around (3) passed me then. I saw them in my view ahead the whole bike ride but try as I might I couldn't get close to them. I have to say it was very lonely and boring riding all by myself. No one passed me..but I think there were only 5 people behind me. The only sign of life was the volunteers who I greeted and thanked every time. And since I didn't hit the start button and didnt resent my bike computer I didn't have best gauge on time. The saddest moment was when I thought I was almost done and the volunteered yelled that I was 1/2 way done. I almost cried on the spot...This didn't even feel like a race frankly with no one else in site. I was eating my carb blocks along the way and even impressed myself by getting to my water bottle with no issues :). By the last few miles my legs hurt so bad and so did my crotch. All I could think was that it was going to hurt to pee for a while. I must get more efficient. I still need to use the gears better I can tell. I tried to give myself words of encouragment but it was hard. I am used to marathons where there is a crowd all around u. Riding by myself for a race for an hour was just soooo...discouraging.

I have so little experience on my bike I don't think I could have done anything different except not get upset when I realized I had 8 more miles to go...I just need lots of TITS this month...Go Gear Goddesses!!!

Anyway, my time WAS over 1.2 mph better than Monday and it was 2x as long so I guess I should be happy about that :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

ok I am surprised it was only this amount of time because when I pulled in, I couldn't help but notice that a bunch of people were done with the whole thing and the guys next to me were already packing up their stuff. I was so sore and just wanted to give up. As far as I knew, everyone was done and there was no one left running and the thought of getting out there for 4 miles alone was more than I could bear. The guys around me...bless their hearts saw how upset I was and would not let me not finish. They pushed me to get my shoes on and just get out there...and well I have never quit anything before and I realized I wasn't going to start now.

Not give up? Be mentally prepared to see finishers already so it doesn't bring me down.
Run
  • 46m 4s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Well the first 1/2 mile I was running on stumps. I was worried about the gash in my ankle hurting from my shoe hitting it (the bandage of course had fallen off in the water) but the pain was so high in my legs I didn't even notice. I walked up every freakin hill mainly b/c my HR so bad. I could tell b/c I was breathing so heavy. I will say, when I got out for the run...low and behold..there was everybody else coming on the return. I will say, they were sooo encouraging. But it was funny...oneword I dont think the guys were checking me out but they sure were worried about me...guess my heavy breathing was being heard across the street b/c everyone was like 'are you ok?" :) Anyway, it was not until the 3rd mile did I actually feel like a runner again. I did notice my last mile was a 10 minute mile so that should tell you how much I got my legs back since I was averaging like just under 12 before that...well frankly since I walked up every hill and that was the whole dang course my running was probably faster..the walking definitely slowed me down.

More bricks. More hill work. I am just bummed b/c the one area I should be doing well in is the run b/c I have done so much in the last year but frankly by the time I get out there, my legs are shot. And in general it usually takes me 3 miles before I get a good running pace going...not good when the run course is only 3-4 miles. Sooooo practice practice practice. :)
Post race
Warm down:

The finish was good. Right on edge of lake. Yup since I was one of the last people in I got the big sympathy applaud from the crowd :). The post race food was amazing but I am just not a 'southern beans and cornbread' gal. The pizza was gone by the time I finished so I just had a banana and an oreo cookie and some sprite. I tried some of the beer but 1/2 way through I swear I was drunk (yeah I am a lightweight) so gave up on that idea. Caught up with Chris and his mom, waited for awards and went on home. Well we stopped at Chrises house where my car was and I got to take a nice shower before getting back on road. I had another 45 min ride after I left Chris's house and swear I almost feel asleep at the wheel. Made myself a nice steak on grill with big salad for dinner. Lots of water. Bed by 8 pm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In general I just need more time with the swim and bike since they are such a new sport to me. I don't mean to sound like I am unhappy or hated it. I really am so glad I did it. I did an OW and it felt great and really enjoyed it and now know what to do before Chatanooga. I am less and less afraid of the whole transition thing. And I am getting used to being the BOP gal for now...FOR NOW..HEAR THAT...I WILL IMPROVE AND MOVE MY WAY UP...I PROMISE!!! :)

Event comments:

I will say it was very organized. the volunteers all very helpful and the crowd laid back and relaxed. It was a great great place for my first OW swim and true Sprint length since last week was a mini sprint. I cannot wait to go back next year and kick my time out of the water! I am even more determined to get going on my training and just improve. I am glad I am doing all these races b/c it is just getting me used to the whole thing and dealing with all the mental and physical issues now while I am new rather than waiting forever.

Last updated: 2006-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:30 | 1056 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/289
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: it looked like it went out and parallel to land out and back. Lots and lots of buoys and kayaks to keep us on track.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:55 | 16 miles | 14.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 16/289
Performance:
who knows but I felt heart failure quite a number of times. Seriously :)
Wind: Headwind
Course: It looped around. Was much hillier at the beginning. Great scenic view of lake!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:04 | 04 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 16/289
Performance: Below average
I checked my HR a few times and it was well over 160. I could not get it down.
Course: out and back with hills going up and down the whole way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: Mach Tenn Triathlon

2006-06-04 5:46 PM
in reply to: #442546

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Mach Tenn Triathlon
Great job on your first OWS!! Keep it up and it will all fall in to place.
2006-06-04 6:05 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Great job   way to not give up !!!  You made it   Aren't you happy you finished now!!  Yeah all those fast people ggrrr I hate it when they go out and run an extra 5K (because the race wasn't enough exercise for them)passing everyone and making you feel like the slowest person in the world because not only did they win now they are passing you a second time.  I'm so glad they were nice to you and encouraging.  Congratulations
2006-06-04 6:24 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome job Renee.  Now you have a couple tris under your belt, so get out there and train/practice.  I love reading your RR.
2006-06-04 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

You did a fabulous job Renee!!  I'm proud of you for not giving up, when that would have been a whole lot easier!!

2006-06-04 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Awesome Job Renee!!! Rmember you are a beginner at this sport, so dont beat yourself up. Next year when you come back to do this race you will be amazed at how and far you have become.

This sport requires a lot of time and dedication to become good at it... The time is there you just have to get out and take advatage of it.

Ride lots, as bear would say

2006-06-05 7:29 AM

Champion

The true character of someone is when they battle through all the little bits of adversity and don't let it get the best of them.  You really did that, you took all those little mini-adventures and turned them into a successful day!  Congrats on a great race.

Oh yeah, the difference between you and me is that I don't have to waste that little extra time braiding my hair.  What hair?  LOL 

2006-06-05 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Great Job Renee...it is all about improvemnt and learning to do 3 races one after the other...it gets easier as you get more experience....CONGRATS on finishing the race....
2006-06-05 7:53 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Renee-  wow!  Sounds like you learned a lot from this race!  Good job hanging in there.  I always hate coming off the bike and seeing peope finishing the run- that's just torture!  I can't believe your chip kept coming off!  That stinks that you had to swim with it in your hang- I don't know how you did it!  You're so nice to help the guys around you by haivng bright colored towels   Way to hang in there and finish the race!  If you figure out how to have juice in yoru legs for the run let me know- I still haven't figured that out out! 

BTW- practice, practice, practice!  You'll be a pro by the end of the season.  Glad to see that you need more TITS!  Go Gear Godesses!

2006-06-05 10:17 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

Way to stick it out Renee!  So much of this is mental... keeping focused and not becoming discouraged... Great job on the race.  Good report... it helps me be prepared for what I will face.

Congratulations!

Peace. 

2006-06-05 1:33 PM

Regular
You ROCK Renee!  Way to hang tough.  Congrats!

2006-06-05 2:29 PM

User image

Buttercup

Aaawwwwwwwwww... Chick, way to gut it out! I hated my second tri (it was a sprint) and my run was horrible - I can totally relate! Lo and behold, my oly this year seemed alot easier than that sprint last year! It gets easier as you train more/harder. As a friend once told me, you make the training painful so that the race is easy.

You'll get there. You're experiencing something new and you are assimilating alot of stuff as you go through the experience. Trust me, you made alot of important imprints this weekend. Your brain and muscles are learning lots and lots as you do these tri's.

Congratulations on your triathlon!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mach Tenn Triathlon Rss Feed