Town of Pittsford Recreation Dept
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 25m 24s
Overall Rank = 38/168
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/31
Pre-race routine:

Work up at 5:30am, had a bowl of Rasin Bran and headed off to the race.
Event warmup:

Stayed in the warm building, jumped in the pool and treaded water for a little bit before my swim start.
Swim
  • 06m 36s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

The guy that started 20 seconds behind me passed me at about the half way mark or so. He was getting dressed in the hallway when I passed him on the way to the transition area I was faster than last year and much more relaxed. I could actually jog to the transition area from the pool. Last year I had a time of 7:31, was 0:55 faster this year.
What would you do differently?:

Other than working on my freestyle stroke there isn't any thing I could have done much better. I guess having fancy flip turns would have saved me a few more seconds.
Transition 1
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Well, it was just outside transition when the bike started to go wrong. When I came out and got on the bike, my shorts caught on the saddle and held me up a bit. A few seconds later my right shoe dropped out of the clip. Had to stop and grab it and put it back in. After that it wasn't too bad, though it took a bit of time to get feet into the shoes. Wet feet in the rain was part of the problem. Went sockless as I figured that would have been even worse. Though these problems really are in my bike time they were really transition issues.

Figure out how to hold the shoes up better on the bike. Should experiment and practice with rubberbands like some folks do. Even with the issues I was much improved over last year, I was 2:57 in T1 last year.
Bike
  • 50m 20s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Dropped the chain while shifting down on one of the hills. Tried to reach down and get it back on but couldn't. Ended up with a little cut on my finger, which bled for the next 10-15 minutes. Had to stop and put it back on and then get started again. The person I had passed about 15-20 seconds before passed me back up, caught them again in a minute or so. The weather didn't help any either, last years split was 51:22 and I rode the course in 50:00 just a week ago. Had to slow down way more than normal on the corners and turns due to the wet pavement.

More bike miles and work with Mother Nature on the rain. I changed up my small chain ring on Friday, I'm sure that contributed to the dropped chain, though it really saved me more overall than the little time I lost fixing it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Had a little more trouble getting the wet feet out of the wet shoes. Calves were cramping up a little bit while I was trying to get my running shoes on. Having wet feet and wet all around didn't help this situation any. Only portion of the race where I was slower than last year, 0:57 was my T2 last year, though I didn't have to put shoes on as I wore my running shoes on the bike.

I believe the weather was more of a factor here. The cramps might have been from the hard hills and the cold temps but the other issues were just basically because of the rain. I haven't had this much trouble during my bricks.
Run
  • 26m 36s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Not an issue keeping cool in the 55F temp and slight drizzle. This was the first time where my legs wouldn't give as much as my heart and lungs could. I could have pushed a bit harder in that area but the legs wouldn't have any part of it. I did much better than last year both in how things felt and how well I ran. Right out of T2 there is a set of stairs to climb, they didn't feel as bad as last year. The rolling hills on this course make it challenging. Last year I ran in 30:41, this year was 26:36. The two guys that passed me (one at the end of the bike and one on the run) didn't know the course and took a wrong turn in front of me, I ended up beating them both, I wasn't far behind them though, maybe 30yds so I'm sure I was within the stagger for at least one of them.

I think the big issue here is that hilly bike course just fries the legs. More bike time would help but our weather hasn't been the greatest to get out on the roads and the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and then went and put the bike into the back of the Blazer. Went and hit the food, had a few cookies, a couple slices of pizza and a sports drink. After finishing that I finished off the bottle of water that I had on the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather! Fitness level, though better than I was at last years race isn't as good as it was at my last Tri of 2005. I need to get more bike miles in, no doubt about that.

Event comments:

The had more water on the run course this year, that was an improvement. I did notice a couple of spots that should have had a volunteer at that didn't. It also seemed that the race organization was not quite as good as last year. Last year they seemed to start racers based on swim times, though this year it seemed that it wasn't based on this. That caused for some congestion in the pool at times. Swim started on a 20 second start clock instead of the 30 second they used last year. This course is difficult because of the hills, if you can't ride and run hills well it's not a race to do.

Last updated: 2006-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:36 | 300 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/168
Performance: Good
Out of the water in 5:50.1 (1:57 per 100yd) with an average heart rate of 132. Lots of chop in the pool with swimmers starting every 20 seconds. Did well with my side stroke, went under ropes much better than last year as well.
Suit: Yea - They don't allow nudity.
Course: Serpentine through the 6 lanes of the pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:44
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:50:20 | 15 miles | 17.88 mile/hr
Performance:
Avg HR: 157 Right where it should be.
Wind: Some
Course: Hills and more Hills. Shifting up and down. Roads were very wet.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:36 | 03.3 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Average HR: 162
Course: Triangle with Hills (new word of the day). All on asphalt. The run course is a little longer than a 5km, most say it's about 3.3 miles, but Gmap puts it at 3.4. It's some where in the neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

2006-06-04 7:51 PM
in reply to: #442758

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon
Good Job Chris uber fast run
2006-06-04 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Yeh Well done for beating last years times. The run pace on the official results calculates on 3.1 miles. I am glad you agree it is 3.3 - I shall go and change mine now

Will meet you one day soon

Jackie
2006-06-04 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
It was a nice event for you, Chris. Very nice run, despite the tired legs!

BTW, I'll have to thank that dropped chain. I ended up 2 seconds ahead of you.

Hope to meet you soon

Rob
2006-06-05 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Next.

Edited by dexter 2006-06-05 6:36 AM
2006-06-05 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Way to go!!! Good meeting you. Hope to see at OWS and other events.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Town of Pittsford Triathlon Rss Feed