HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 1s
Overall Rank = 52/128
Age Group = Men 30 to 34
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Had two nice taper days Friday and Saturday, and slept well the night before, so I was physically well rested. But I was a bit mentally freaked out -- there's a lot to pack, and a lot of minor details to get right. This was my first tri, and it's a lot to take in all at once. Plus I'm Captain Anal Retentive in the 2nd Obsessive-Compulsive Brigade, so that's nice.

Got up at 5AM to drive to Deer Creek. I knew the route and distance to the venue because last year I volunteered at the last race of the season at this reservoir. Out the door at about 5:20 and on the highway at 5:30, after brewing a pot of coffee for the thermos. Once on the road, ate a banana, cup of coffee, wheat bagel, Go Lean bar. (In retrospect, this might have been a bit much for breakfast -- should have cut out the bar and added a bottle of water.) Got to the venue about 7AM. I was a bit nervous about getting there on time -- I thought that I was cutting it a bit close, since the TA was going to close at 7:30, and I needed to pickup my race packet, get boymarked for the first time ever, set up my first TA ever, and take an earth-shattering, porta-potty shaking bathroom break, all in less than a half an hour. It didn't help that the line for packet pickup was really long, so I only had a few minutes to set up my TA.
Event warmup:

Once I got my TA set up I listened to the race announcements at 7:45, I headed down to the beach for an 8:02 sprint tri swim start for my AG. Had a little bit of time to run up and down the beach, stretch a bit, swim out to the course and back, and come back and stretch a bit more. At this point in time, I noticed that it was 8:30, which was a bit late for an 8:02 start. And although I didn't think that the lake water was all that cold (something I was worried about, since I don't own a wetsuit), getting into the lake water, sitting around a bit, and then standing around doing nothing while the sun goes behind the clouds and the wind starts blowing, I started getting a bit cold. I went from Team Javelin to Team Lawn Dart, if you know what I mean.
Swim
  • 18m 27s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Okay, this swim did not go as planned, and did not go well at all. I had a total OWS nutzo freak-out adrenaline extravaganza with extra claustrophobia sauce on the side. What was so great about this freak-out is that I was totally unprepared for it. I mean, I've been swimming in the pool training for my first tri for about six months, and I've swum off an on for years before that, though swimming is still my weakest discipline. I've done OWS, as recently as last week. So I was more concerned all this week with the water temp and with getting all my gear to the TA on time -- and once I had done that before the swim start, I thought I had all the tough stuff done, and I wasn't expecting any difficulty. And THAT'S WHEN THEY GET YOU!

Swim start was fine -- maybe 50 or so in my wave for the sprint tri, and we were the first wave. I started back and to the right, trying to stay out of the way once the wave reached the left hand turn at the end of the course. I shouldn't have worried -- after about the first 100 meters, I started my gonzo OWS freak out, and I got dropped to the back of my wave pretty quickly.

This is the way I remember it: I started out okay, thinking mostly about my position in the swim wave, rather than the water temp or my swimming form or the course or anything else. And after wading with the pack a bit, we all dived in and started swimming. I got about 100 meters in doing okay -- good form, breathing on every fifth stroke, looking left at another swimmer to keep on course. And I was fine -- until I couldn't get quite enough air. Switched to every fourth stroke, trying to take a long breath in TI "sweet spot" every couple of breaths. Still couldn't breathe. Switched to every other stroke. Couldn't breathe. Starting to get a stitch in my side. Started to breath on every stroke. Went to breaststroke. Couldn't breathe, stitch in my side, and I started CHOKING when the water hit my face, even though my face was out of the water by now. Switched to backstroke, and tried to quit hyperventilating. Did that for a while, then tried to switch back to freestyle. By this point, I'd dropped way back into the trailing edge of my wave. But that wasn't the worst thing -- when I rolled back over to freestyle, I COULDN'T GET MY FACE BACK IN THE WATER. Just couldn't do it.

The rest of the swim was just me piecing together a minute or so of freestyle with a minute of breaststroke. I got passed by some of the next wave (women's sprint), and then by some of the next NEXT wave (men's international distance). But I was still hanging out with some of the last bits of my wave by the time I got out, and most importantly, I did get out -- I did finish, and I did keep swimming, and I didn't give up, even though I was totally freaked out.
What would you do differently?:

Not freak out.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Forgot to put out SOCKS when I set up my TA! I'm a newbie, I need these. Had to fish them out of my backpack, put em on, drink some water, and go.

Hey, I thought that putting your race belt on at T1 to have it on during the bike and the run was the way to go. Seemed to be fairly few doing this -- I guess they'd wait to put it on in T2? Am I wrong here?

Remember sockies. Not freak out in the swim.
Bike
  • 37m 35s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 21.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah, well, the bike. All I had to do was take my bike off the rack and I felt better. I love my bike. I love riding my bike. And so I got on the bike, and I just RODE. Nice. Loved it.

Was able to keep a nice cadence and speed through most of the first 4/5ths of the bike. Passed a bunch of people -- mostly because I was so far back in the swim, I assume. I also think I was passing a bunch of sprint duathlon people. Only got passed by one speedy guy on an Orbea, and he and I played friendly pass tag for a while before he dropped me on the final climb. I said something chatty to everybody I passed, and in general had a great damn time. Drank a full bottle of water in a few different takes.

Only problem came at the end when I was climbing a few small hills. The bike isn't entirely tuned right -- skipping a bit in the granny gears. I tried to get the LBS to fix it, they didn't so I've been fiddling with it ever since, and I still don't have it quite right. Coulda done a bit better with some bike sexpertise. Anybody got some?

This is where the guy on the Orbea caught me.

And as I'm climbing that last hill, I could look up and see the elite sprint guys crossing the dam on the run -- it was a bit disheartening. I was hoping to be closer to the FOMOP on this one, not in the BOMOP, but the swim just did me in. Well, I'll do better next time.

Tune the bike better. Remember sockies. Not freak out in the swim.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Kool Moe Dee. Everything's good. I was even taking it easy on this.

Not freak out in the swim.
Run
  • 25m 18s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run, great route, loved it. First mile was just over 7 min/mile, but I then didn't see the next mile marker so I didn't get a split. Fairly certain I was slowing down over the race, but I didn't care. I knew I was slow, so I was just having fun. Giving high-fives, talking to people, looking around, enjoying it.

Not freak out on the swim.
Post race
Warm down:

Met DW at the finish line, got some photos taken, (disappointed that there were no finisher's medals, just top places in each AG and race). Still, got some pasta, took a shower in the open-air showers, picked up my bike and got out of there a triathlete.

In celebration of that fact, I went to Fado's and had two pints of Guinness and a Trinity Steak Boxty.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Huh. I'm not really sure how to define what caused, or perpetuated, my open water swim freakout. I would make a guess that it was a combination of an adrenaline rush and the washing-tub effect. Everything else about the OWS I've done before -- swimming in a trisuit, swimming in open water, swimming fast, swimming CONSIDERABLY longer than this distance. The only thing that was impossible to simulate outside of race day is, well, the race -- the siren start, the adrenaline, the pack, the thrashing in the water. So, I freaked out.

I guess the only way to experience a swim start is to experience a swim start.

I'm going to do better next time.

Event comments:

HFP is pretty cool; I like them. The only thing that would have made this race better was getting it off on time; I still don't know what was going wrong.

Last updated: 2006-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:27 | 750 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Below average
Suit: trisuit
Course: A "skinny rectangle" following the beach. Well marked, but I could have used somebody to explain the course before the swim start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:35 | 13.67 miles | 21.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Loop over farm roads. Well marked, lots of sheriff's deputies, mostly flat with one medium downhill, two small uphills towards the end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:18 | 03.12 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Performance: Average
Course: Out-and-back, partly cross-country route over the reservoir's dam and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 9:13 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: Deer Creek

2006-06-04 9:32 PM
in reply to: #442847

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Deer Creek

I still do that on swim starts and on this race last year. You plan to go freestyle all the way but end up pulling out every stroke in the book.  I think it's these colder Ohio lakes.  Florida stuff is fine but cold Ohio lakes just hyperventilates me for half the swim.

The bike and run is pretty cool, mostly flat out in farmcountry with little traffic.  A great race for that first notch on your belt!

2006-06-05 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Congrats!!  You are a triathlete!  I really enjoyed reading your race report - and it may have inspired me to do my first 'practice' tri this weekend - just to try out the open water swim start - and have fun.  And I take some comfort in the fact that you freaked out and made it through!  That is very motivating to me.

Again - Congrats!

2006-06-05 8:20 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

That bike split rocks!  And even with all your freak out in the swim and "slowness" on the run you still did both faster than a lot of us do!  Awesome job. 

2006-06-05 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Well done! Glad you got your swim freak out out of the way so now you know what to expect.

Congrats, you triathlete you.

2006-06-05 8:55 AM

Pro
Nice job! You smoked the bike. I wish I could generate speed like that!

2006-06-05 9:43 AM

Champion
Hey congrats on your first one!  The swim isn't so bad after you get through a couple of them.  And with your fast biking and running at least you get to pass tons of people, so that's movitvating!  Now go out and do some swimming...LOL like I should be giving advice on THAT event!
2006-06-05 9:55 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations on your first tri!!!  Great race report, too.

Even with your "freak-out" on the swim, it looks like you had a great race.  I wish I could run and bike that fast!  Once you get the swim down, you'll be even better. 

2006-06-05 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Congratulations TRIATHLETE!!!!!  Enjoyed reading your race report.  You are one speedy biker dude!!!!!! 

Diane

2006-06-05 6:42 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Man, you are FAST on the bike and the run. However, I think I have figured out why you were slower than you wanted to be, and I think (just guessing here) it's because you freaked out on the swim.

My theory is that you started off with the adrenaline, etc. and breathing every 5th stroke and put yourself in oxygen debt and it went downhill from there. Swim starts are always faster and more stuff going on, next time I'd start out breathing every other stroke until you settle into your pace, then see if you can go to every 3rd or whatever. As a note, I always have to breathe every other stroke on a race, so that might've been your mistake right there.

2006-06-06 12:22 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse

2006-06-06 1:00 PM

User image

Buttercup

Damn, your stuff (writing) is funny. I love reading you.

So sorry to hear about your swim stress. I hate to see/read people not love the swim. It's not about the time/speed - it's about lovin' the swim. My wish for you is to come to LOVE the swim.

Sooooo cool that your bike was righteous! And the run too!

Thanks for the giggles, as usua.

2006-06-07 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Hey, nice race...Ron's right, the lakes here can be cold, and then  seem to warm up suddenly, but we had a couple of crappy days just before. I think you had a great race, I agree, I like HFP alot. They do a good job. I wanted to do Deer Creek, but went to VA with a friend for a tri there. I'm doing Caesar Creek, and hopefully East Fork though. Congrats on the first tri!!!
2006-06-07 5:32 PM
in reply to: #446322

User image

Master
La Crosse
Sassafras - 2006-06-07 2:16 PM

I wanted to do Deer Creek, but went to VA with a friend for a tri there. I'm doing Caesar Creek, and hopefully East Fork though. Congrats on the first tri!!!

Oh, it looks like I'm doing all the HFP races that no other BT'ers are going to be at. I'm doing Buckeye Lake and the Pineman mini.

Still, it's nice that one RD is doing consistently good races all over Ohio. I don't have much to compare against, but I think HFP is good, and they are clearly a good value.
2006-06-08 7:04 PM
in reply to: #446689

Regular
Dayton, OH
Nah, I'm doing the whole series and then the Pineman Half.

Good RR. See you out there!
2006-06-08 8:23 PM
in reply to: #448194

User image

Master
La Crosse
cmslone - 2006-06-08 8:04 PM

Nah, I'm doing the whole series and then the Pineman Half.

Good RR. See you out there!

Cooool. Once phoenixazul gets back from Ireland, she says she's gonna do the Pineman HIM. And I'm envious that you're doing the whole series -- I can't do it this year for two reasons:

1) I'm travelling off and on throughout the summer
2) it's my first tri season; doing the whole series would totally kill me!

But I really would like to do the full series next year. I think that would be a great training gig.

See you at the races!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Rss Feed