United States
Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 3s
Overall Rank = 39/53
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3 am, for once got to the race site nice and early. Bagel w/pb&j, banana, and coffee during the drive. Picked up my packet, got marked, set up in transition. Went to portapotty. RD was standing outside it so I inquired about the bike course markings. He said "Follow the arrows with an O on them". Met another BTer, mmckinney and to Terry from Triathlon World.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/2 mile on the grass part of the run course. Got into the water, swam to the first buoy and back to acclimate.
Swim
  • 33m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt like I was swimming really well, but I got tired toward the end and I rarely get tired on the swim. I got off course twice but it didn't seem like it was that bad...so I'm a little perplexed as to why my time sucks so bad. Guess my navigation was worse than I thought. A couple of times I felt like I was the only swimmer in the water, never a good sign! Swimming through seaweed probably didn't help either.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate better. In hindsight, I should have stayed closer to the right string of bouys instead of coming "down the middle". Learn to swim in a straight line.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Coming out of the water I felt really tired and actually walked a little-every race I've done before I've run into T1 from the water. Seeing all of the yellow swim caps further discouraged me. As a result I just felt scrambled in T1-even unracked my bike before I had my helmet and shoes on, so I had to try to balance it all.

Think straight!
Bike
  • 59m 45s
  • 17.45 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

The intitial ride out of T1 to the road was through gravel, and not nice crushed gravel either. So I decided to forego putting my shoes on while riding and just put them on in T1.

Initially the course was fine, few small rises but mostly flat. I wasn't at all familiar with it having missed the course talk and never having had a chance to preride it, so I felt very anxious, Contributing to my anxiety was the fact the the road markings were just little orange paper arrows stapled to stakes that were maybe 18" high, so they weren't at all visisble. Still, I was keeping my cadence up and my hr down, I got over my discouragment of a crappy swim and hoped to make up some time on the bike. Up to this point I was averaging ~ 19 mph.

I came to an intersection where the options were to go staight or turn right. An arrow pointed right. (There was no "O" on this or any other arrow I saw). A woman came FROM the right on a bike and said something about she didn't think that was the correct turn. If only I had listened to her....I ended up back in downtown Delevan on HY 50, no signs anywhere. There were other triathletes trying to figure out what the heck happened, it ended up being a pack ride back to bike in. The rest of the pack turned in, but I looked at my computer and saw I was just a little over 14 miles, so I thought maybe I should just do another loop of the sprint course and I kept going. But I got to an intersection where previously there had been cones and a volunteer waving. Now both were gone...I was afraid all the markings would be gone and I'd get hopelessly lost. So I just headed back.

In all the confusion, I didn't drink enough or use my second gel shot....

I heard later that some people went straight up HY 50 for 5 miles, then came back to make it an Olympic distance. I wish that would have occurred to me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

This went smoothly
Run
  • 59m 45s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My lousy performance on the swim and the confusion on the bike really left me feeling like quitting, to be honest. So I had a hard time working myself up to race pace, never really managed to push myself all the way. THEN I started wheezing on t he second lap. Used my inhaleer but my chest stayed tight until the 5th lap, when it finally eased up a little so I tried to pick up my pace. Terry and a couple of other Team Tri World members were cheering me on on every lap, which lifted my spirits considerably. Then Terry and another guy from TTW whose name won't come to me right now actually jogged behind me on the last lap, just chatting it up. Which of course every time I heard thier voices I got pissed and managed to pick up my pace-exactly thier intention :)

Not get discouraged and mentally give up when things get difficult. Not have asthma.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing in particular

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lousy mental attitued. Overall fatigue. I looking over my logs for the week leading up to this race I thought I was resting but I think I still did WAYY too much.

Event comments:

Typical Frank Dobbs race. I should know better than to even bother by now.

He offered a free race to the Oly participants due to the confusion-turns out that 53 people rode a "non-standard bike course" and 31 were counted as having done the "official" bike course. I don't know how they determined who did what, nobody asked me what I did. Anyway, if my schedule allows it I'll take him up on the free race and use it as a training day.

Last updated: 2006-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:43 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/53
Performance: Below average
133 avg 145 max
Suit: Sleeveless IM
Course: There were two lines of buoys...we were to go out keeping them on the left, and come back up the middle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:59:45 | 17.45 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Performance:
143 avg 161 max
Wind: Some
Course: Was supposed to be a loop around Lake Delavan. There were NO aid stations on the bike, which I thought was pretty cheesy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ~90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:45 | 06.2 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
163 avg 169 max
Course: 6 laps around a golf course and along the water...some paved some grass with two little hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 7:41 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: Lake Delevan Triathlon

2006-06-05 8:13 AM
in reply to: #443090

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Lake Delevan Triathlon
Wow- you had good times despite all the confusion.  Way to finish the race depsite the poor cirucmstances.! I would have been mad about the poorly makred bike course.  At least you weren't the only one confused!  I'm jealous you got to wear a wetsuit- it's too warm for us down here to wear ours now   Congrats on finishing a "non-ideal" race!
2006-06-05 8:39 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Mental Note:  Learn from Cindy and avoid Frank Dobbs races. 

Glad to read you pressed on and finished!!!!!

Looking for your seeing you and Mark at Big Foot.

2006-06-05 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Wow..you had great bike speed despite the course confusion mess!!... thats a real drag that they couldn't get that together!

You persevered and did well though...congratulations!

2006-06-05 9:36 AM

User image

over a barrier
Good'ol frank....

I heard the swim, smelled like sewage as well!!! Yuck.

I thought USAT was going to watch this clown....oh well.

Take'em up on the free race....
2006-06-05 9:49 AM

Champion

I love reading these race reports.  Everyone always has an adventure to talk about.  It's what makes this sport so interesting.  Years from now you'll look back on races like this and laugh like crazy.  Good job perservering through it all.  Now come out and visit us and do Cranberry in August and we'll have a great time!

2006-06-05 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago

Cindy,

Good job hanging in there and nice to meet you on Saturday.  What a mess!!!  Hope we can see each other at a better event in the future.

2006-06-05 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Wow, you handled the confusion quite well, it sounds like.  I'd have been all worked up in a lather over that whole thing...
2006-06-05 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL

I started thinking about the swim and what you said.  I felt my time was slow also in comparison to my trainning OWS.  I think to make up for the short course last year at LGE, he made this swim longer.  If it wasn't, then I also felt slow and little off course.  Nice race otherwise.  I got off course on the ride, I was in a group of about 8 guys who made a deal when we got back near transition to ride the sprint loop to bring us clooser to the actual distance.  We were not disqualified but acutually rode 2 miles more.  Keep up the great work. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Delevan Triathlon Rss Feed