17C / 63F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 56m 27s
Overall Rank = 249/314
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

Race put on by: http://www.rmevents.com/

Stayed at a motel room about 20min. from the venue. Up early and had a bagel, some raisins, coffee, and a yogurt cup. Showered, loaded the van and got to the site about at the posted opening time for the transition area. Too late for the best parking and rack spots though. There was a bike booth doing tire pressure checks and top ups so I took the bike over. Something let go as soon as he started to pump and my back tire went flat. Back to my rack spot and changed the tube but at least I had brought two spares so there was still one for the race. While putting the tube in, my little hand pump fell apart but I collected the parts, figured out where everything went, and got it screwed back together. Went back, got the tire pumped up, and re-installed it on the bike, forgetting to check the front tire. Went to use a washroom and... waited... in... line... By the time I got back they were just starting the pre-race instructions, a few minutes late. Luckily it was close to my rack spot so I went and got my wetsuit on while listening to the announcements. Then it was time to run down to the beach, checking the timing chip over the mat on the way, and straight into a quick warmup swim. I forgot to have my usual pre-race gel and that may have cost me something later.
Event warmup:

Besides the stress of running around getting my bike tire fixed, I got a few minutes of warm up swimming too.
Swim
  • 32m 20s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I seeded myself back and to the outside. Then to avoid the washing machine effect, I was swimming out wide of the pack. I didn't bother trying to draft off of anyone, though I felt a few touches from behind throughout the swim. In spite of the navigation issues, I felt good swimming. I could easily have pushed harder but tried to pace myself. One sleeve of my wetsuit wasn't quite straight and that caused a bit of bunching up under my right armpit. It was a little chaffed there afterwards.
What would you do differently?:

I should probably learn to be more aggressive, swimming straighter and in the pack.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

They had a couple of plasic kid's pools to run through as we entered the paved transition area from the beach so my feet were clean already. After all the stress earlier, I tried to be deliberate and methodical. I put on socks and shoes, not trying anything fancy yet, and got everything I intended to take. Ran to the mount line, getting clipped in and away efficiently.
Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 40 kms
  • 32.00 km/hr
Comments:

I started slowly, intending to pace myself. They had made a big deal about drafting penalties however, so I kept pulling out to pass and holding more speed to clear the other bikes. Then I would catch another right away, and another. To be sure, a few passed me but not many. The faster riders were long gone by the time I got rolling. I thought I was probably going too hard but I hadn't ever really pushed myself to know for sure so I went with it. I was working too hard in the traffic on the way out to fuss with gels or the power bar I had brought though I did drink a bit, both gatorade and water. After the turnaround, we were going back down the valley and with a tailwind. I sat up and got the power bar out but I was still reeling in other riders while I ate. I was hitting over 50 km/hr a couple times on the way back. The total time was 1:18:30 but that included transitions so I estimated 3 1/2 min. for those.

Spend more time on nutrition/hydration and back it down a notch or two to save something for the run. Maybe leave the bike gloves behind 'cause they were a pain to get off and on when eating. I should also look at getting some aero bars. A tri bike might help but that's not in the picture this year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Not as much to do in T2 but I still took my time and made sure I did what I wanted to.

I probably should have had the gel now that I forgot to take before the start or during the bike.
Run
  • 1h 05m 39s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 34s  min/km
Comments:

I ran, or something like it. It hurt, but I ran. Everyone I saw was passing me. About 2km into the run one lady commented as she passed "Now that's an ironman shuffle if I've ever seen one!" I walked the water stations that I drank at though I skipped a few of them. Otherwise I kept running. Oh wait, except for stopping twice to retie my right shoe. Doh! About 1/2 a kilometer from the finish, I heard yet another set of footsteps coming up behind me. I started pumping the knees and elbows harder, and held him off to the line. My wife got a picture of us coming in to the finish and he was only about 10 feet back. My hamstring muscles are not happy with me right now.

Train more on the bike and the run, seperately and in bricks. Try not to leave everything on the bike course. Even though this time was close to my usual slow pace, it cost way too much effort to do it.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked a bit to cool down and found my wife. Her arthritis was starting to bother her with all the standing and walking she'd been doing. She had forgotten her lunch ticket in the van so I got her to a bench and ran to get the ticket. Sort of. We had lunch and she rested back at the van while I checked if I'd won any draws at the awards presentations. I sat for a few minutes with another guy and his wife from Lethbridge.

Event comments:

In spite of a few aches and pains, I had a blast and learned lots. :) Well run event, except for some line ups at the port-a-potties and a last minute change in package pickup location. Good food and lots of great volunteers. You may not need it, but bring mosquito repellent!

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:20 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 238/314
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: The course was two laps around a triangle of bouys with one point of the triangle towards the beach. Between laps we were to run around a shiny demo HumVee parked on the beach. I estimated the water temp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:00 | 40 kms | 32.00 km/hr
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 166/314
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course was mostly out and back with an extra loop around the lake to start. The way outward followed a secondary highway with mostly decent shoulders. We climbed slowly alongside a river and the usual, expected tailwind was a headwind instead. The last few km before the turnaround climbed up away from the river a bit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:05:39 | 10 kms | 06m 34s  min/km
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 301/314
Performance: Below average
Course: An out and back course that went 3/4 of the way around the lake before turning back. A few small hills for the first/last bit but mostly a level, paved, and narrow pathway with some bits on old paved roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-12 10:05 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Gerick's Wasa Triathlon
First Olympic triathlon. I didn't realize this was billed as part of the "2006 TriBC Provincial Race Series CHAMPIONSHIPS" and there were a lot of serious racers here.

Edited by Micawber 2006-06-12 10:35 AM

2006-06-12 2:49 PM
in reply to: #451060

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Gerick's Wasa Triathlon
Dwayne,

Congrats on your first Oly!!!!!!!! Thats great! And under 3 hours, as well. Thats a wonderful accomplishment!

Those pre-race mishaps are always frustrating. Glad your's didnt throw you off too much.

Congrats again. An Oly is definitely a fantastic accomplishment.

Rob/Ridge
2006-06-12 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
I had the same thing happen to me on my Sprint last year. I just gets to you man!

Great race report, and a great time on your first oly.

Yep, Aero bars work great! You just have to use them

Nice of you to come to BC to race.

Keep up the great work.

Dan
2006-06-13 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Congrats on your first Oly Dwayne! Nice work!

Good for you for staying composed despite the tire mishap and it's delay getting you to the swim start.  Great analysis of your race too - all lessons you can bring to your 1/2 IM in July!

2006-06-13 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Congrat's on your first Oly! I'm jealous (mine isn't until the 25th). Way to keep it together what with the tire/pump mishap before the start and all. Excellent bike leg. What's next for you?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gerick's Wasa Triathlon Rss Feed