General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A lousy runner learns a few things Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-09-04 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: A lousy runner learns a few things

My weakness has always been the run. Recently however, I've started to see some dramatic improvement, even getting a 2nd place AG finish this weekend, so in the interest of giving back from all the free advice I've distilled from here, I thought I'd share what the difference had been of late.

1) Run every day. This may seems obvious, but it's probably the hardest thing to do. From my experience, my body simply wasn't ready to do this at first. I got some nagging groin and hip flexor pains for a while as I built up my base. So I needed a lot of

2) Rest. If this seems diametrically opposed to #1, it is. I think this oxymoron is what drives a lot of beginning runners to confusion, and prevents them from figuring out how to both run every day and rest often in harmony. So I'll present:

3) Discover the zen of running. You can't run when you're in pain (although suck it up, a little pain that a single ibuprofen can take care is nothing, so shh) and the gains are not going to come overnight. So bam, here's my "secret" - I can rest and run and the same time. I don't care for the term "recovery run", because it's an oxymoron. I'm talking about 'running' at a pace and movement level where I could read a book out loud. If the horizon is bobbing up and down, it's wrong, that's too much muscle impact, so find a gait that allows the miles to coast by. I think of it being closer to a 'power walking' feeling than 'running', but it's not walking. Personally, I had someone film me doing a few different gaits on a treadmill so I could figure out how to minimize my impact and keep my heart rate down, worked well for me. These runs can be 3 miles, 8 miles, 14 miles, doesn't really matter, but they are always relaxing, and I'm not breathing any differently than normal, only my heart is working harder. Once I got #1 and #2 in balance, things started to really change. I found getting to this point took me about 6 weeks, your mileage may vary.

4) Rhythm. This could just as easily be called "distance", but in running often and happily, I began to find ditching the headphones and music was necessary. Once I started running more than 25 miles a week I found the simple rhythm of my feet and my breathing became hypnotic, and music was distracting. The rhythm became my dashboard. I discovered my gearing system - how it sounds and feels in each of the heart rate zones. I learned how to upshift and downshift. Hard to enumerate how many 'secrets' gave themselves up as I unlocked these rhythms.

5) Hills. Oh my oh my. I sprint up them and learn my heart. I walk up them and teach my muscles. I let myself fly down them and learn my stride length. Shuffle up them and learn the granular limits of my threshold levels. I spend at least a third of my time on hills.

6) Finding your redline, and moving it. You've seen it all over BT - "Run often, sometimes hard, mostly easy". Yep. It doesn't seem like it should make any sense, but spending a lot of time running mostly at my easiest pace for lots and lots of miles is how I got faster at running lots and lots of miles at a much faster pace. I almost NEVER run at my race pace during training. But it's there, and it's getting faster and faster with every week I run every day. It was a leap of faith, really, but what did I have to lose? Go out and run your best 5 or 10k right now and record your time. Then spend 6 weeks never getting remotely close to that pace, but running an hour every day. At the end of 6 weeks, do another trial. It's truly unbelievable.

7) Weight counts. I can't ignore the fact that I lost roughly 10 pounds before I started making these changes, so comparing my previous results with my recent ones would be omitting a major part of the ballgame. It's just plain harder to run swiftly when you weight more than your frame can support.

There's nothing revelatory in here, but on the chance this *particular* combination of regurgitated advice helps even one person on their journey, it's worth it. I've dropped over 2 minutes off my mile pace in the last year (no applause please, that's only a testimonial to how truly awful a runner I WAS, not one to me getting better!) following this set of advice, and that's been a lot of fun for me, so I hope it helps you.

2012-09-04 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4393977

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: A lousy runner learns a few things
Nice write up and insight!  My runs have been "ok" but I feel like I've plateaued the second half of this year.  I'll look into some of your ideas! 
2012-09-04 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Thanks for that, wisdom here
2012-09-04 9:18 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Thanks for this.  the only good runs iv'e had are in the bathroom.  I really like your advice, and will try this.  Especially the run every day tip.  I need to do that..
2012-09-04 9:37 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Very nice post! I'll add it to my personal list of posts-to-hold-onto.

I'm a life-long runner -- well, with a gap of about 15 years in there -- but a number of the things in here are lessons that I've only really taken to heart in the last couple of years. Especially the part about frequent easy/steady running. It really does work. Oddly enough.

2012-09-04 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This should almost be a sticky thread.  Great info and great descriptions.

My one regret in becoming a triathlete is that in my training week there is not time to run every day.  Being my first year it's apparent that my primary weakness is swimming and I'm MOP in biking.  My heart tells me to go back to being run-focused for the winter but my head is telling me to keep up the same type of training I'm doing now (equal parts swim, bike, run).

2012-09-04 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Awesome post!!
2012-09-04 11:47 AM

User image

Chilliwack

Great post!

x1 on Hills.  I started doing them this year for the first time consistently, and wow did my speed increase...I went from a 1:50 ish HM to a 1:35 this year.

I'm not running every day, but I think will will take your advice on #6 and give it a shot.

2012-09-04 3:12 PM

User image

Seattle
Yes, yes and yes! Great post!
2012-09-04 3:32 PM

davenport, iowa
That was a great post. All my friends run with ipods but I find that it just annoys me. I much prefer listening to my body. It keeps you more in tune to what is going on internally and makes you a better racer. I'm also a big fan of the "recovery run". A short run every other day or so at a tame pace will do wonders.
2012-09-04 4:51 PM

User image

Pro

terrific.  you nailed it.  Took me a couple years of running to figure that out.

so- promise to help us out on this forum every time a new runner asks about a 'run less, run faster' plan with a tempo run, an interval run and a long run each week. 

2012-09-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4395181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
morey000 - 2012-09-04 4:51 PM

terrific.  you nailed it.  Took me a couple years of running to figure that out.

so- promise to help us out on this forum every time a new runner asks about a 'run less, run faster' plan with a tempo run, an interval run and a long run each week. 

Yep,  count me in. My 'coach' (a certified coach, but a friend who was offering free advice) believes in 'the only way to learn to run fast is to run fast', and I've quietly moved on. 

2012-09-05 9:28 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

This is a great breakdown of and testament to what we often hear (run lots, mostly easy and sometimes hard), and it's good to hear a success story.

My question is (since you don't log your workouts) is what does a 'typical' run week look like for you?  Miles/time run per day?  Are any days run faster, or all they all at a very easy pace?  I'm trying to get into the habit of running more days a week emphasizing running easy and am looking to find out what works for folks and what doesn't.  I know everyone is different, but having some sort of starting point or template to craft into something that works for me would be helpful.  Thanks, and congrats on finding what works for you!

2012-09-05 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4396022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
melbo55 - 2012-09-05 9:28 AM

This is a great breakdown of and testament to what we often hear (run lots, mostly easy and sometimes hard), and it's good to hear a success story.

My question is (since you don't log your workouts) is what does a 'typical' run week look like for you?  Miles/time run per day?  Are any days run faster, or all they all at a very easy pace?  I'm trying to get into the habit of running more days a week emphasizing running easy and am looking to find out what works for folks and what doesn't.  I know everyone is different, but having some sort of starting point or template to craft into something that works for me would be helpful.  Thanks, and congrats on finding what works for you!

Thanks! I'm glad it's (potentially) helpful!

You asked: each day I run at least 4 miles, as many as 10. If I set out to do more than 6 miles, it's at my easy pace. The shorter runs are usually just on the verge of zone 3, and i'll do some bursts on those runs for 400m or so, more of a fartlek kind of thing. Sometimes though, the short run is a rest run just because of how I feel, so that will be a slow pace.  The exception is hills - no matter what I'm doing the rest of the run, I will usually repeat a hill two or three times when I come to it on a run, just for the number of ways to attack it. Time wise, I typically run during the day during the lunch hour, which admittedly is quite a great perk. My office is in a very rural area with some amazing scenic routes, with some good and gnarly hills near by. The weekend runs are in the morning, and that's where I do the longer ones as the timing permits. 

Just because I've adapted to this during the race season, I've had a race every few weeks or so that I can use as a time trial to re-baseline. My season ends in a couple of weeks, after which I'll plan to do a 10k time trial once a month at full pace to see where I'm at. For my goals, anything shorter than that wouldn't tell me what I need to know.

You pointed out I don't log my workouts - sorry. I did for a while but found it to be a chore with no return value. I'm not a 'look how far I've come' person by nature, and in terms of finding and knowing zones, paces, etc, I do that on a running total. I also only train swimming and cycling in the offseason (meaning training = building, as opposed to maintaining and racing), at which time I do keep very detailed logs, but in a notebook. My interest on BT is really only to help others as BT has helped me. I like doing the race reports as I find them helpful for others to prepare for new venues (that's what I do!!) to read others' past experiences, but that's about it

2012-09-05 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Sounds to me like you're not a lousy runner at all.
2012-09-05 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Great Post!

The one thing that I would add is Patience.  I have seen many runners join our running club and quit after they didn't improve after the first few weeks.  The Key to improving is consistency over a long period of time, you don't have to run every day but don't expect to drop a minute per mile off of a 5k by running twice a week for one month.  

When I started running again six years ago five miles was a long distance.  Now five miles is my short recovery distance with my daily average distance over seven miles.  It took me over a year of running 4-5 days a week to be able to build up my mileage to the point that 5 miles is easy.

2012-09-05 12:42 PM

Great thread. Would you say that this same logic applies to the other 2 sports as well? The basic concept of disregarding high intensity workouts and just getting out there and putting in as much mileage as possible?
2012-09-05 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4396491

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

How did you build up to running each day?  Using the 10-15% principle or more aggressive?

I just worry that someone might read this who doesn't run much and suddenly triple their running mileage in a month, getting hurt or just burned out.  Even if I ran 2 miles/day I would be running 60+ plus which is a lot for some people.  It would help if you could fill in the blanks, especially without being able to see your training ourselves. *

*An aside:  using the logs here has many benefits for little effort.  You can graph stuff, get quick totals, but also see the "softer side" of achievement by noting how a run went, how it might related to other factors, etc.   You just can't see the value without putting in the data.   For instance, in the weeks before a half marathon I might feel discouraged. Then I read what I did before the last half marathon and see I am in good shape, probably just worn out, etc.   Anyway, just wanted to share that.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2012-09-05 1:02 PM
2012-09-05 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4396491

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

iFelt - 2012-09-05 12:42 PM Great thread. Would you say that this same logic applies to the other 2 sports as well? The basic concept of disregarding high intensity workouts and just getting out there and putting in as much mileage as possible?

My *personal* answer is no way. I started out as a BOP\MOP swimmer, and have made big gains through lots of short intervals. I spend a good amount of time in the water, but I don't do long sets (>800 yds) except on the rare occasions that I have a chance to practice in open water. As far as cycling, I only use the trainer for training and open roads for enjoyment\racing, with the lone exception of hill routes that I'll use for training. I think this has a lot to do with why I was\am\was such a lousy runner - I approached run training the same way as I do with cycling and swimming and saw very little gain and a lot of pain, which is the opposite of what I experienced in the other 2. That being said... I was born with very muscular legs, and I've been a cyclist for over 20 years having ridden many many thousands of miles before I started with triathlons. I'm shaped like many professional cyclists and swimmers, but there ain't a professional runner alive with my frame

2012-09-05 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4396560

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
BikerGrrrl - 2012-09-05 1:01 PM

How did you build up to running each day?  Using the 10-15% principle or more aggressive?

I just worry that someone might read this who doesn't run much and suddenly triple their running mileage in a month, getting hurt or just burned out.  Even if I ran 2 miles/day I would be running 60+ plus which is a lot for some people.  It would help if you could fill in the blanks, especially without being able to see your training ourselves. *

GREAT question, thank you, I really should have mentioned that in the first place. The answer is surprising (at least to me) - nope, I did the video thing one day, worked on getting the gait down for a week, and then I just started running every day. I had read something on BT to the effect of "run so slow that your crippled grandmother could lap you", and that made it click - I was trying to "run" before my body had learned HOW to run.

I really think the video was key - being able to see which gait produced the lowest amount of impact and then consciously switching to that slow, but very low impact gait allowed me to dramatically increase my mileage without causing any damage. What worked for me gait wise is specific to my strengths - large, muscular, heavy legs. Great at riding, crap for running. I worked out a gait that kept my hips low and my stride long behind my hips and short in front, which requires a strong impact heavy on the calf (check) and a long carry through with a strong quad (check) but very little ankle torque, since I have a lot of leg mass to move. Previously I had more of a bouncing shuffle that put a lot of stress on my ankles and knees to absorb downward impact. Very painful. It took less than a week to adapt to it, as my quads and calves were more than ready for the work load, but my groin muscles were put into play more than I was used to. Again, keeping everything slow ensured I didn't hurt myself. Pride was put WAY away.

I would venture to say that people that don't run much as you say probably don't because at some point it HURTS them to run - it shouldn't. Having gone through that a few times I can honestly say that the cycle of building through the pain and assuming it just gets better with miles is complete BS. Pain is your body's feedback - if it hurts you're doing it wrong. By the way, lactic acid buildup is painful, but that's not what I mean - I mean pain after you run that hurts just walking. I went through all that stuff until I changed my gait, lowered my intensity, and increased my frequency to daily. Now it's the complete opposite - really. Taketoday - I woke up with a stiffness in my hip (can't reverse the aging process completely!), and couldn't wait to get out and run today. Sure enough, after my lunch run I feel great, no more pain.

*An aside:  using the logs here has many benefits for little effort.  You can graph stuff, get quick totals, but also see the "softer side" of achievement by noting how a run went, how it might related to other factors, etc.   You just can't see the value without putting in the data.   For instance, in the weeks before a half marathon I might feel discouraged. Then I read what I did before the last half marathon and see I am in good shape, probably just worn out, etc.   Anyway, just wanted to share that.

Thanks! I actually do that in a shorthand version during the winter months with the cycling and swimming, but I just don't see it applying to the run, except with heart rate monitoring, which I do every morning to make sure I'm not sick or over fatigued. This is really why I felt compelled to post what I did - the difference between training for running and the other 2 sports was so dramatic once I figured out what worked for me.

2012-09-05 2:13 PM

User image

Elite
fisherman76 - 2012-09-04 8:03 AM

My weakness has always been the run. Recently however, I've started to see some dramatic improvement, even getting a 2nd place AG finish this weekend, so in the interest of giving back from all the free advice I've distilled from here, I thought I'd share what the difference had been of late.

1) Run every day. This may seems obvious, but it's probably the hardest thing to do. From my experience, my body simply wasn't ready to do this at first. I got some nagging groin and hip flexor pains for a while as I built up my base. So I needed a lot of

2) Rest. If this seems diametrically opposed to #1, it is. I think this oxymoron is what drives a lot of beginning runners to confusion, and prevents them from figuring out how to both run every day and rest often in harmony. So I'll present:

3) Discover the zen of running. You can't run when you're in pain (although suck it up, a little pain that a single ibuprofen can take care is nothing, so shh) and the gains are not going to come overnight. So bam, here's my "secret" - I can rest and run and the same time. I don't care for the term "recovery run", because it's an oxymoron. I'm talking about 'running' at a pace and movement level where I could read a book out loud. If the horizon is bobbing up and down, it's wrong, that's too much muscle impact, so find a gait that allows the miles to coast by. I think of it being closer to a 'power walking' feeling than 'running', but it's not walking. Personally, I had someone film me doing a few different gaits on a treadmill so I could figure out how to minimize my impact and keep my heart rate down, worked well for me. These runs can be 3 miles, 8 miles, 14 miles, doesn't really matter, but they are always relaxing, and I'm not breathing any differently than normal, only my heart is working harder. Once I got #1 and #2 in balance, things started to really change. I found getting to this point took me about 6 weeks, your mileage may vary.

4) Rhythm. This could just as easily be called "distance", but in running often and happily, I began to find ditching the headphones and music was necessary. Once I started running more than 25 miles a week I found the simple rhythm of my feet and my breathing became hypnotic, and music was distracting. The rhythm became my dashboard. I discovered my gearing system - how it sounds and feels in each of the heart rate zones. I learned how to upshift and downshift. Hard to enumerate how many 'secrets' gave themselves up as I unlocked these rhythms.

5) Hills. Oh my oh my. I sprint up them and learn my heart. I walk up them and teach my muscles. I let myself fly down them and learn my stride length. Shuffle up them and learn the granular limits of my threshold levels. I spend at least a third of my time on hills.

6) Finding your redline, and moving it. You've seen it all over BT - "Run often, sometimes hard, mostly easy". Yep. It doesn't seem like it should make any sense, but spending a lot of time running mostly at my easiest pace for lots and lots of miles is how I got faster at running lots and lots of miles at a much faster pace. I almost NEVER run at my race pace during training. But it's there, and it's getting faster and faster with every week I run every day. It was a leap of faith, really, but what did I have to lose? Go out and run your best 5 or 10k right now and record your time. Then spend 6 weeks never getting remotely close to that pace, but running an hour every day. At the end of 6 weeks, do another trial. It's truly unbelievable.

7) Weight counts. I can't ignore the fact that I lost roughly 10 pounds before I started making these changes, so comparing my previous results with my recent ones would be omitting a major part of the ballgame. It's just plain harder to run swiftly when you weight more than your frame can support.

There's nothing revelatory in here, but on the chance this *particular* combination of regurgitated advice helps even one person on their journey, it's worth it. I've dropped over 2 minutes off my mile pace in the last year (no applause please, that's only a testimonial to how truly awful a runner I WAS, not one to me getting better!) following this set of advice, and that's been a lot of fun for me, so I hope it helps you.

I had to quote because its such a great post!!  I love the "read a book" pace!  Thank  you for clarifying in a way this non runner (hello, turtle) can understand. I plan to follow these points this fall. 

2012-09-05 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City

"Run lots - mostly easy, sometimes hard"

Just this piece of advice right here knocked 7 minutes off of my HM time this year with no real speedwork. Great write up. It seems like there's no way running that slow would work, but somehow it absolutely does. I've preached this to several people I know that are just starting this fall and I hope they listen.

2012-09-06 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I thought about this thread quite a bit while out for a run this AM. One thing I focused on was a 'steady horizon' where an object ahead didn't bob, but was steady.  Seemed to work out as I adjusted my gait to keep things on an even keel. I only ran for 3.5 miles, but felt like I could have gone longer. The other thing which struck me from this was the run easy as being a pace where you could read a book out loud. great way to put it. I certainly need to run more, and am planning on it - love the post & thread. Thanks.
2012-09-07 4:18 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Indeed. I just wanted add I found this post very motivational. I was sitting here feeling achey in a knee before a hill route run last night contemplating a pass, until I read this. It not only motivated me to do it but inspired me to even extend the distance a fraction, and felt good for it after. Thanks.
2012-09-07 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I'm thrilled this has helped you guys! See you on the road!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A lousy runner learns a few things Rss Feed  

of 2