General Discussion Triathlon Talk » explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-09-17 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4415139

User image

NC
Subject: RE: explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper...
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 3:47 PM

You conveniently forgot to bold the part where I stated "I admit that I could be looking at this from a completely wrong angle". 

Don't back down now!

2012-09-17 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4415076

Veteran
Canton, GA
Subject: RE: explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper...
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 3:20 PM
lisac957 - 2012-09-17 2:15 PM

You really can't understand someone wanting to do that? 

Not fully, no.  I think part of the allure of these sports are that they are individual efforts.  I think a good portion of the satisfaction I get from completing an event comes from knowing that start-to-finish, I did this.  I put in all of the hard work, I did the training, I did the research, I figured out what worked and what didn't to get me to this day.  I take alot of satisfaction from that.

Now, if I were competing for something much more ($$$, fame, etc), I could see paying money for a coach.  But I'm just a regular guy.

^^^  This.

Everyone has different drivers in what makes them tick.  Obviously, a coach is not the right direction for you.  That doesn't diminish the need or want for others to have one.  We all weigh Price vs. Value differently.  Obviously you don't view having a coach worth the value of paying one, but IMO you really are coming across as insulting to those that have one.  

FWIW, I don't have a coach.  I would actually benefit from having someone to hold me accountable for doing some more training than I am.  It's just how I tick.  Unfortunately for me, I cannot justify the cost either for ME, so I have not hired one.  But, I respect those who do, and realize that it's a matter of "to each their own."

2012-09-17 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 3:20 PM

Not fully, no.  I think part of the allure of these sports are that they are individual efforts.  I think a good portion of the satisfaction I get from completing an event comes from knowing that start-to-finish, I did this.  I put in all of the hard work, I did the training, I did the research, I figured out what worked and what didn't to get me to this day.  I take alot of satisfaction from that.

Now, if I were competing for something much more ($$$, fame, etc), I could see paying money for a coach.  But I'm just a regular guy.

Getting a coach is no different that coming here, or searching the internet... it is a resource that you use to guide you, to give your efforts direction. Training is like racing... you get the most out of it when you waste as little time and energy as possible. Having a coach is just a very personalized, very tailored, resource.
2012-09-17 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4415024

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
What difference does it make? You obviously enjoy planning doing your own research, planning your own training, and are perfectly happy as a "self-coached" athlete. Great! No problem with that!

Others prefer, for a variety of reasons, to have someone else guide their training. Maybe they feel a coach can help them improve their performance, help them avoid injury, or just help them try to figure out the best way to plan their training around an otherwise busy life.

Different strokes for different folks....

Hiring a coach to help guide training is no more "pretentious" than riding the latest uber-aero bike, or buying race wheels, an aero helmet, or the latest, greatest wetsuit, etc. And just to be clear - I for one don't find those things pretentious at all.
2012-09-17 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

It's the same reason adults who want to learn woodworking, or play a musical instrument, or draw take lessons rather than try to teach themselves. 

I get asked regularly to teach the bass guitar to adults.  How much sense would it make if I were to answer "Sorry, I only teach people who are planning on becoming pros."?

2012-09-17 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4415173

User image

marmadaddy - 2012-09-17 9:58 AM

It's the same reason adults who want to learn woodworking, or play a musical instrument, or draw take lessons rather than try to teach themselves. 

I get asked regularly to teach the bass guitar to adults.  How much sense would it make if I were to answer "Sorry, I only teach people who are planning on becoming pros."?

www.beginnerbassguitarplayer.com

2012-09-17 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 12:20 PM

...while riding your bike in a pool.  I lol'ed.

2012-09-17 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4415173

User image

Extreme Veteran
marmadaddy - 2012-09-17 2:58 PM

This is a good analogy.  I admit that my random sample of coached athletes may be a bit skewed.  The impression I came away with was athletes that were trying very hard to "play the part" of the pro athlete by proudly proclaiming they have a coach.  The impression that was given off was "I'm so pro I need a coach" rather than "I really need help with this stuff, so I hired a coach".

2012-09-17 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

It seems as though the majority of people on this thread are in favor of gettign a coach for several different reasons.  Hiring an expert to assist you with the various needs you have in life is something we ALL do our entire lives.  I'm thinking of Attorneys, Accountants, Financial Advisors, Contractors, Teachers, etc.  Some will say you can do your own taxes, represent yourself in the courtroom, or even teach your kids at home.  However, utilizing someone for their skills to improove your own life (or the lives of your family) is just something we all do.  It's really no different than hiring a triathlon coach.

I certainly don't agree that is is a way to brag or boast about needing a coach. 

I know that if I was in the market for a coach, which someday I probably will be, I would come here first and get BT's opinions on who I should contact. 

in reply to: #4415181

User image

Extreme Veteran
joestop74 - 2012-09-17 3:01 PM

Gulf of Mexico, but close...    Tongue out

in reply to: #4415158

User image

NC

cgregg - 2012-09-17 3:52 PM Getting a coach is no different that coming here, or searching the internet... .

. . . as Shane sheds a tear.

2012-09-17 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4415179

User image

tri808 - 2012-09-17 1:00 PM
marmadaddy - 2012-09-17 9:58 AM

www.beginnerbassguitarplayer.com

I thought marma's avatar looked familiar

2012-09-17 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Thousand Oaks
I got swim goggles and then hired a coach.  For me I want to shorten the learning curve.  I don't want to buy the  wrong bike, wrong tri-suit, etc.  I don't look at is a brag book thing to refer to my coach, if anything I look at it the opposite way.  I wish I had the experience and equipment to do it all on my own right now, but there is a lot to learn and like a lot of people I'd rather just focus on the training and let the coach worry about my heart rate zones, bpm, etc.  I also think that whatever I spend on a coach over the next year I'll get a good ROI due to shortening the learning curve, not buying stupid stuff that I don't need, etc.  I wouldn't change a thing.
2012-09-17 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4415186

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 3:03 PM
marmadaddy - 2012-09-17 2:58 PM

This is a good analogy.  I admit that my random sample of coached athletes may be a bit skewed.  The impression I came away with was athletes that were trying very hard to "play the part" of the pro athlete by proudly proclaiming they have a coach.  The impression that was given off was "I'm so pro I need a coach" rather than "I really need help with this stuff, so I hired a coach".

I just hired a coach last month.  FYI, it was because I feel I stopped improving on my own.  Even with coached computrainer classes, masters swim, etc.  I felt the need to try some custom coaching instead of cookie cutter training.  So far, I'm happy I made the plunge.

2012-09-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4415192

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 1:04 PM
joestop74 - 2012-09-17 3:01 PM

Gulf of Mexico, but close...    Tongue out

Wow!! even better!

2012-09-17 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4415193

User image

Goosedog - 2012-09-17 10:04 AM

cgregg - 2012-09-17 3:52 PM Getting a coach is no different that coming here, or searching the internet... .

. . . as Shane sheds a tear. 

I'm partially convinced that Shane is a robot.  No human could possibly have that amount of patience, and that amount of ability to produce correct information.

Therefore...no tear shedded.

2012-09-17 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Never having had a coach I didn't get it for the longest time. I like reading theory and setting up plans and I don't find it takes a bunch of time.

i can see the benefit now though. Currently I consider myself uncoachable. Should I become more flexible I may look into it.
2012-09-17 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

After reading the thread as it exists so far, I may have completely reversed my thoughts on coaching, for me. I didn't consider it pretentious to have a coach, for anyone else, but I was convinced it really would be for me. Dead last, BOP, runs at most others' walking pace, still obese, etc etc.... I mean really, a coach? I'm the LAST guy who should bother with a coach. 

Now I'm thinking I am EXACTLY the guy who needs a coach. 

Maybe 2013. 

2012-09-17 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
I just finished my first Tri season. I have a decent amount of running knowledge from high school, college, training camps, etc but for biking and swimming I am largely lost. For my first Tri I was fortunate to have a guy at the pool who helped me out. I am also lazy by nature, in fact I just turned my spare bedroom into a workout room and moved my tv in there. This is to make it harder for me to sit and watch tv instead of do my workouts. I have a goal of an IM next year before I deploy again, I signed up for coaching through BT to help keep me on track and working out. Could I do it on my own? Yes, but why not have the extra resource. I am still reading and learning on my own and have a great resource to ask questions to.

I am one of the guys in my unit that leads the required morning PT. I am also the guy who slows down to help people who are having run issues. It helps me so I can do a better job at my day job. It is also nice to not have to figure out my training plan.

I trained for my first half-Mary on my own. I learned a lot but 90% of my workouts were LSD of running. December 2013 I will give up the coach as I head back to Afghanistan. In the mean time I will enjoy the extra benefit of the coach.

Jonathan
2012-09-17 4:35 PM

My wife and I are your typical run-of-the-mill age groupers.  We have a local tri coaching company here and we both work with them regularly, they flat out know their stuff and are great guys.  I work with them sporadically, but my wife is on their entry level coaching program, at around $100/mo. because frankly she doesn't want to think about it, she just wants to be told what to do with this stuff........we are relatively new to this, have a 5 yr. old and a 2 yr. old and she definitely isn't going to do a bunch of research to figure out what to do, but also just enjoys the comfort level of knowing that she is doing the right thing.  She's been completely injury free and has shown steady improvements over the past two years, plus her coaches provide some accountability, and reliable advice on all kinds of stuff like info. on different races, gear, etc. 

We don't make a bunch of $, we've talked about nixing it, but we don't do alot of out of town races, don't get crazy on the gear, etc.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who would talk about having a coach because they want you to think they are cool or something, but that's gotta be the minority, I suspect most people are more like my wife and I.   

2012-09-17 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4415402

User image

Regular
Thousand Oaks
JM2 - 2012-09-17 2:35 PM

My wife and I are your typical run-of-the-mill age groupers.  We have a local tri coaching company here and we both work with them regularly, they flat out know their stuff and are great guys.  I work with them sporadically, but my wife is on their entry level coaching program, at around $100/mo. because frankly she doesn't want to think about it, she just wants to be told what to do with this stuff........we are relatively new to this, have a 5 yr. old and a 2 yr. old and she definitely isn't going to do a bunch of research to figure out what to do, but also just enjoys the comfort level of knowing that she is doing the right thing.  She's been completely injury free and has shown steady improvements over the past two years, plus her coaches provide some accountability, and reliable advice on all kinds of stuff like info. on different races, gear, etc. 

We don't make a bunch of $, we've talked about nixing it, but we don't do alot of out of town races, don't get crazy on the gear, etc.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who would talk about having a coach because they want you to think they are cool or something, but that's gotta be the minority, I suspect most people are more like my wife and I.   

Exactly

2012-09-17 7:00 PM

Master

A coach is usually (but not always) a very helpful addition. 

Even if you're expert at designing and modifying your own training, and outside perspective offers huge dividends, even for the expert athlete.

This is true in many sports as well as dancers, musicians, and other artists. A coach can be one of the most valuable things you can have, even if you're very capable at training yourself. A different perspective as well as unbiased eyes with expertise, is a huge asset.

At the MOP or BOP AG level, the impact of a coach may be significantly more than that of an elite coach, as that same MOP or BOP athlete may not even get to race day if left to themselves for training planning. It's very hard to truly design or select a training program that will take you to the next level, even if you know what it's going to take. I'm a pretty serious athlete, and I balk when I see the big training hours needed for me to REALLY improve. A coach could provide both the motivation and expert advice about how to really get this done. 

I don't use a coach now myself, but I'm not lying when I say that if I REALLY wanted to make biggest bang for the buck for training right now, I'd spend my money on a coach. Not wheels, not PT, not new shoes, not race fees. Coaching. And then listen and DO everything they say, which is harder than it seems.

2012-09-17 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4415402

User image

Master
Central Indiana
JM2 - 2012-09-17 5:35 PM

Nothing against coaching, but from personal finance perspective $1200/yr seems serious $ to most couples who "don't make a bunch of $" & have 2 small kids.  But then I know cyclists who drop $6k on new carbon DA bikes who claim they have trouble paying next month's rent on their apartment.  To each their own.

Personally I feel comfortable doing my own plans & motivation for run/bike training and have yet to meet local coaches who seem worth their fees.  OTOH, after 3 seasons I have grown weary of my swims being so much behind my relative bikes/runs.  My swim still sucks after wasting much time & $$ on group lessons which all seem geared for sprint swims. Finally decided I need to get decent local swim coach to avoid becoming a duathlete (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

2012-09-17 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For anyone whose an age grouper and just wants to finish, I think a coach is a waste of money.  For someone who wants to be competitive enough to get to Kona or the 70.3 World Champs, a coach makes sense.  For someone who needs to learn to swim, a coach is arguably beneficial.

However, if you have the money, hey, why not.

Is it that difficult to do a little research, get a training plan, and tailor it to your life's challenges?  Isn't that half the fun of this world of endurance sports?  There's alot of crazy stuff in triathlon training, but this one escapes me for some reason.

I agree with the above 100%.

2012-09-17 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
I came to this sport after several years of golf.  There I learned the saying that "practice makes permanent, but perfect practice make perfect."  You could spend hours at our three sports doing what you think is the correct thing, when in fact you are ingraining poor form and doing more harm than good.  Having an outside set of eyes and someone who is objective about my training has been worth every dollar I invested.  Yes, I did say invested.  The money has paid off in short term advancements and built a long term base for continued improvements.  You may want to rethink your elitist view of coaching and consider if you are ingraining poor form.  YMMV
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper... Rss Feed  

of 4