Telos
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 36s
Overall Rank = 17/61
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:00 this morning, packed the t-bag, took care of the pre-race rituals.

Had a powerbar and part of a Gatoraide for breakfast, along with Enduralite caps.

Left the house about 5:45 to pick up drewwhite. We met at his place and headed south the the event. Picked up our numbers, and set up the T-zones

This was a small race. Sponsored by the Telos Residential Treatment Center for troubled boys. Part of their therapy is to get the boys energies focused on stuff other than things that get them in trouble so they train them for triathlons. The funds raised from this event pay for the boys entries into races in the area
Event warmup:

Didn't warm up a lot, which was probably a mistake. Swam about 25 yards or so just before my wave started. Prior to that it was a jog to the restroom and back -- which was a couple hundred yards.

Swim
  • 18m 45s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me, but I think that I probably swam 50-100 yards further than I needed to because I couldn't swim in a straight line. I ended up zig zagging a lot which I'm sure didn't help my time. I was comfortable in the water, just did not sight well. The song "What would you do with a Drunken Sailor" came to mind. I probably was about 2/3's of the way back on the swim. My goal had been to stay relaxed on the swim and focus on stroke technique, which overall I feel quite good about, but in my focus to stay relaxed, I just plain forgot to sight as often as I should. You'd have thought I'd figure out by the time I was halfway through the swim, that I needed to sight better and more frequently, but no, wasn't gonna happen

I started wide, to avoid traffic, and just kept getting wider! haha . Then I decided I needed to swim closer to the correct line of swim, so I ended up INSIDE the triangle. In fact one of the search and rescue guys had to point me back in the right direction. Told him I was feeling fine, just being a "drunken sailor" (funny thing is, I'm a non-drinker).

Got straigtend out and then headed for the shore, about 50 yards from where I was supposed to come out. I corrected my self and FINAALY got in the the end of the swim!
What would you do differently?:

LEARN TO SWIM IN A STRAIGHT LINE!

I also need to continue to focus on good form. I'm certain I could swim faster if I maintained my form better

For a first "full" distance sprint OWS, I'm really fairly pleased
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

Ok -- this transition, to put it mildly "STUNK"!!!!

This race was not chip timed, so I wore my running watch (not my Garmin) to get my splits. Well-- silly me, I put my wetsuit on before the swim, and then put the watch on the outside of the left sleeve, so that I could periodically during the swim take a look at how I was doing on pace. BAD CHOICE! I get to the end of the swim -- Come out of the water (which was really soft bottomed where we exited-which slowed the exit) and hit the lap button on the watch. Get to the shore to start to strip my wetsuit, which was coming off REALLY well, until I got to my left sleeve. You see, I had forgotten that the watch was there, so when I pulled the sleeve off, it wouldn't come off!!! Took me a little time to figure out what the issue was. So I had to pull that sleeve back on, which was tough becuause it was mostly inside out. Undo the watch, and then I could FINALLY get the suit off. Then since I didn't bring flip flops, I had to slip on my running shoes to get across the very gravel road from the exit to T-1. I was probably 1:30 before I even left the water exit.

Got up to the t-zone, and even though I had everything laid out well, I just couldn't get it together. FINALLY, after what seemed an eternity, I head out for the bike -- wondering what was gonna happen next.

REMEMBER that I have a watch on the sleeve of my wetsuit. Or don't bother wearing one in the water and have a friend time my swim in a non-chip timed race. Get some flip flops to stage at the exit point (when needed) so I can get them on more quickly and up to transition area

Stay focused. Develop a pattern for transition, so that it becomes routine.
Bike
  • 36m 36s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

This ride was really good. I felt strong all the way. Did slow a bit on a couple of the rollers. Was more downhill on the outbound and more uphill on the return. My shifting felt pretty smooth overall. I'm happy with it

My turn around was a little wide though so I ended up for a short distance in the weeds on the side of the road. Stayed upright, but was concerned that I might pick up a thorn and get a flat. Fortunately, I didn't and I kept going well.

Passed many riders on the bike, got passed like once that I remember. Felt Great!

Not a lot. I was pretty happy with this ride
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

This transition was still a bit more slow than it should have been, but it was lots better than the first one.

Not much. Just do it faster
Run
  • 23m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really pretty strong on this run. The worst climb was in the first half mile, and given the post bike rubber leg syndrome I was really pleased with my 7:51 pace on this portion of the run

Best part of this run was the fact that I don't recall ANYONE passing me. I picked off a lot of people one by one! I knew I'd probably win AG when I got to about mile 2.5 and came upon another from my AG. I saw his age on his calf and as I overtook him, I said, "Looks like we have a race on our hands!" And I started to push a little. About that time, I suspect he saw my age on my calf and said, yea -- looks like you got my medal! I thought, I'm gonna do all I can to keep it, so I pushed. I don't know how far behind me he came in. I'll update when I get the official results. (Official results in: 17th Overall, 12th in Gender, 1st AG -- Beat second place by 1:07)

Don't be afraid to push it a little bit more. This run was hilly, and several commented that it was kind of a tough one, with the dirt trails over about 3/4 mile of it and the rolly polly hills. It was probably the toughest run course I've done in a triathlon, so I'm very please wiht my pace!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off, Drank some water. Coughed a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor Transitions, and the fact that I haven't learned how to swim a straight line. I need to work a lot more on sighting.

Event comments:

This race was a second thought for me, since drewwhite threatened me with my life if I didn't do it. My intial approach was to treat it as a double brick, which I'm sure impacted my transitions particularly. But since I didn't have much expectation going into the race, I was able to stay relaxed and enjoy the event!

Small race, great staff and cause, very good venue. In fact they plan to add a half iron to the race next year as well as add USAT sanctioning. Will make it a bigger draw.

Because the race was small, I figured I'd have a decent chance of getting my elusive hardware, but never in my wildest dreams did I actually expect to WIN my AG. That's right -- First Place in my AG! I couldn't believe it! I'm SOOO excited about it! There were at least 2 other racers, because 1st, 2nd, and 3rd were awarded! I'll post the actual numbers/rankings once the official results come in.

This race was not chip timed, so the splits are my own based on my Garmin and my other race watch (yes -- once I was out of the water and exiting T1 I had 2 timekeeping devices on my person.

This was a great race for the Utah BT crew as well... 3 of us participated that I'm aware of. Me (sprint), drewwhite (olympic), and Rollin' Thunder (Olympic). All three of us snagged hardware! Drew and I first place in AG and Rollin' Thunder 3rd in AG.

Was a great day for BT and for me! What an exciting thing! I've NEVER EVER in my life taken first place in ANYTHING athletic, and today, I did! I guess my training is paying off!

I'll definately run this race again in the future!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:45 | 875 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/61
Performance: Average
Suit: Rocket Science Full Sleeve
Course: Open water in Utah Lake. Fairly shallow in the area of the race. Could actually touch bottom in a couple places. Course was a clockwise triangle pattern
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:36 | 12.4 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on a country road. The Road was decent, and had a lot of gentle rollers. Actually a very nice course to ride. Support along the course was good. Course was probably just a little short, but I broke 20 MPH!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:59 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 7:51 Mile 2 - 7:55 Mile 3 - 7:55 Mile 3.1 - :18 (was just a bit short of 1/10th of a mile by my Garmin), which indicates why my overall pace is faster than my actual pace. But I'll take the official pace! (Actual pace was more like 7:54)
Course: Packed dirt trail circle trip with a portion on the same road as the bike. A couple of pretty good climbs made this course challenging. Good support and course marking on the route. 2 water stops (which resulted in 3 actual water opportunities) were very welcome.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-17 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: Telos Utah Valley Triathlon

2006-06-17 11:38 PM
in reply to: #457663

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Telos Utah Valley Triathlon
Where are the photos of the beginnertriathlete.com winners? Nice job on your race and it was great to meet you and Drew both. I look forward to getting some of that run speed to rub off on me.

Mike
2006-06-18 12:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Great race buddy!  You tore it up out there.  See, sometimes listening to my irrational rationale makes sense, unlike this sentence!  Great work, it was a blast to be out there with you and Mike.
2006-06-18 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Utah

Congratulations! 

I know what you mean about swimming in a straight line-I usually add a lot of yards in my open water swims.

I have two pieces of unsolicited advice : 1. Can you put your watch under your wetsuit sleeve?  I did this last week in Saratoga and it worked well.   2. Beware of flip flops.  You may want to get something that you can quickly strap your feet into (Out-n-Back had Teva-like shoes for $7).  I tried flip flops getting out of East Canyon Res. and going up an embankment and my wet, slippery feet wouldn't stay on the shoe. Then the flip flop blew out.  It was grim.  I recommend something that is strapped to the foot.

Edited by lifesgreat 2006-06-18 12:39 PM
2006-06-18 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Way to go! What a great showing from all of team BT!!!!

Sounds like your HARD training is paying off. I'm sure you'll have more of this to come in the future. Great job!

We'll have to get you some good open water goggles and practice sighting more. You should practice sighting every 3-4 strokes or so. I'm sure you'll do better next time with this experience, though.
2006-06-18 5:24 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on a great race!!

Hardware......whoo hoo..first in your AG! Awesome!

You did great in overall and learned a little to. Need more ows practice and sighting...but geez even going extra you were fast.

Speedy on the bike and run...nice.

Cool that you could passed someone in your AG to take the win....how fun was that!

Hanging with other BTers makes each race more fun....glad to see the UT group out today taking home some hardware!

2006-06-18 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO

Great race! First in AG...Hardware...Nice!

You probably know this, but I'm not sure you can "learn" to swim in a straight line. The only reason you can do it in the pool is that big black line you can see. I've never done an OWS, but from what I read, the key is sighting...often.

Keep up the good work. Your results are WELL earned.

2006-06-19 6:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

1st place....rock on!  Congratulations!  Awesome job, Brett!

-Dave

2006-06-19 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Good job Brett-  You kicked some royal tail on Sat!! I can only hope that you're worn out next week due to these tightly packed series of races, because, seriously, It'll be TOUGH to compete with the numbers you put up this Saturday...  I know I tease you alot for being an old guy... but man, you're a FAST old guy!  I'll be extremely pleased if I can match those numbers on the race this Saturday!

Keep up the awesome work- rub off some of that "magic" on me during our workouts this week if you can... OK?

-Billy 

2006-06-19 10:51 AM

User image

Master
South of SLC
That was a good looking group shot there -- where were the podium girls they had there? You would have thought they would have posed with us for a couple of shots at least.

Mike
2006-06-19 11:14 AM
in reply to: #458746

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Rollin' Thunder - 2006-06-19 9:51 AM That was a good looking group shot there -- where were the podium girls they had there? You would have thought they would have posed with us for a couple of shots at least. Mike

Yea -- Three BT Studs!  (well two of them any way -- That short guy is  well.... )! 

We need to talk to the RD about the Podium girls - 

2006-06-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: #458790

User image

Great Race Brett

Congrats on the AG win.

When are you planning you next open water swim, I need to get a couple in before Echo.

Masontwo
2006-06-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: #458790

User image

Great Race Brett

Congrats on the AG win.

When are you planning you next open water swim, I need to get a couple in before Echo.

Masontwo
2006-06-19 3:32 PM
in reply to: #459291

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

masontwo - 2006-06-19 2:25 PM Great Race Brett Congrats on the AG win. When are you planning you next open water swim, I need to get a couple in before Echo. Masontwo

Any time you want!  Have you got your wetsuit?

Rollin Thunder and I are looking at Sat Jul 1 as a possible date.  I'm even willing to go tonight if you were up for it.  I've really go to get in the water and work on my sighting.

I'm also racing Provo Triathlon on Saturday.  Would be a good "break in" race for ya. 

2006-06-19 3:37 PM
in reply to: #459308

User image

I haven't got a wet suit yet, but I am going to rent one and practice sometime. I swam this morning and have a ride planned for tonight, but the 1st of July could work well for me. I will let you know as the week goes on if that will work. After Salem's OWS it was quite an eye opener to how hard OWS is.

Masontwo
2006-06-19 4:56 PM
in reply to: #458624

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Team Utah rocks!  I love you guys.  Nice job, big guy!  First place, wow.  And look at those splits  - you are fast.  Your run (not that it was ever bad) has really come around strong and hasn't suffered your focus on swimming.  Congratulations.

2006-06-21 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
1st place is 1st place........looks like all those early mornings are paying off!!!
2006-06-23 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
did I CONGRADULATE YOU ON THIS..        way to go.. 1st place .. wooo hooo...    your doing awsome..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Telos Utah Valley Triathlon Rss Feed