World Triathlon Corporation
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 30m 54s
Overall Rank = 1063/3335
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 30/149
Pre-race routine:

I was glad we got to Augusta Friday and had time to go to packet pickup, race meeting, and expo, then relax and get settled in. There was a purple water fountain outside of the hotel! COOL!

Augusta9-28-12_zps680d2c57

Got up at 4:00 a.m. We dressed quickly in order to catch the first shuttle to T1 to get everything set up. When we got to the lobby, we saw a shuttle van out front and thought it was for us. But the hotel staff directed us to the back of the building. There was an entire FLEET of school buses waiting for us! There was already a line formed for the shuttles but it did not take long. We set up transition and met a teammate, Gee, whom we had never met before. So glad we had on our team jersey's and he spotted us!

Once we finished setting up T1, we headed back to the hotel to relax until our wave starts. The swim start was within walking distance of the hotel (about 1/4 mile). I had coffee and a half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich; later had 1/2 banana. Relaxed and did some stretching.
Event warmup:

No warm up. We did a practice swim in the river yesterday morning and dialed in our bikes yesterday afternoon. Warm up was trying to get into my wetsuit! Whew!
Swim
  • 31m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

It stayed crowded for quite awhile before it thinned out. I had people veering me off course on a couple of occasions. It was fun to watch all of the seaweed grasses passing by underneath.

IMG_1210_zps3d214789
What would you do differently?:

Push harder. Or should I say "pull" harder!
Transition 1
  • 04m 41s
Comments:

I pulled off the top of my wetsuit while running leaving my cap and goggles inside the sleeve. I knew there would be wetsuit strippers and elected to use them. I saw a strong looking guy among the row of ladies and went to him. He yanked my suit off in a nano-second! Wooooosh!!! I thanked him and ran to my bike. I took a little long getting into my cleats because I brought cycle shoes and had to buckle them. But I really prefer my cycle shoes over Tri shoes on longer Tris and especially on hills because I can crank them down tight for a good pull. I put on my sunglasses and they immediately fogged up. It was overcast, so I took them back off and tossed them back down. I remembered to change my Garmin to bike, then I had a really long run in cleats with my bike to the bike out.

IMG_1218_zps75544cb9

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills! Some REALLY long ones that I thought would NEVER end. There were a lot of bumps and potholes in some sections, and a lot of wayward sunglasses and water bottles too! The course was a bit crowded making it difficult to stay draft distance away. I did pretty good on the hills thanks to my crank/cog combo. At one point I got passed by a group of young bucks. I heard a male voice behind me say, wish "I could keep up with those guys, but I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with you!" I was just about to make a pass when he said that so I yelled, "Well, come on!" as I cranked it uphill. He said, "you make going up hill look easy!" (He had no idea just how much I was suffering inside). But I was pedaling away on my crankset passing people while others were moving in slow motion on gears that were too big. I wanted to yell, 'Downshift!"

I was actually very surprised that I was able to hold this average with the hills, but Tiny Roo gets a lot of momentum going especially when we have Pixie and Dixie with us (my race wheels). He's a spry little race horse.

I drank most of my infinit for nutrition. Although I had solid energy in my bento box, I could not bring myself to eat any of it. The uphills were kicking my butt and raising my breathing/heart rate, and the downhills were too fast to let go of the horns.

Probably could have pushed harder on the uphills but was afraid it would ruin my legs for the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Had a long way to run in cleats again! Racked Roo, put on shoes, grabbed run belt, and reset Garmin to run. I stuck a couple of energy gels in my pockets since I was not taking any Infinit with me. No fuel belt (mistake).

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 00m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Once on the run my infamous SMILE spread wide across my face! Spectators ALWAYS comment on my smile when I run and tell me I look strong. But the smile started to fade at about mile 8. I tried to hold pace but faded a bit before hitting the finish line. There was a place downtown where i kept hearing "Go Fayetteville!" And i also saw a male racer in a jersey that I did not recognize say 'Go Fayetteville!" I had no idea who they could be!

Use my fuel belt. I am used to running with it and I am terrible with water stops. I cannot drink enough water from a cup without having to stop and walk a few steps. And every time I had to stop and walk, I lost a bit on my average pace and lost my momentum. I could have kept a more solid pace had I had my fuel belt and did not have to deal with water stops.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off, drank water, then started on pizza and BEER! We could not find our Morning Bags, so Pete went to ask someone who was carrying one. It turned out to be the very people who were from Fayetteville! Christi said she had been looking for us and took the picture below to post on FB. They were new club members whom we had not yet met in person. Then I found the guy in the uniform that I didn't recognize turned out to be our President's sister's husband! So I met our President's sister, Mandy. And a few minutes later another lady from Fayetteville found us and said, "You must be Maria!" I was beginning to feel like a celebrity! Good thing I wore my team uniform or these folks would never have known who I was.

But it was starting to rain and we were cold so we headed to the hotel to get showered and dried off. I was having separation anxiety from Roo knowing he was out in the rain, so we took the bus back to T1 to get our things. We planned on riding back to the hotel but the rain started coming down harder before we could get there! {Shrug} It's not like we've never ridden in the rain before. We were drenched when we got back to the hotel, so we dried off again and just relaxed. It would have been nice to go back and watch the finish line, but we didn't really feel like standing in the rain.

The funny thing is that I had NO idea what my finish time was. I was confused when I finished because of the wave starts and we could not find the preliminary results posted. To make matters worse, the website was bogged down and would not load. I was receiving text messages and facebook messages on my awesome finish and still have NO idea what my finish time was! All of my friends knew before I did. I first found out my time only because Scottie had posted it on Facebook! (Thanks Scottie!) But eventually we got the website to load and checked everything.

Augustafinish9-31-12

medal_zpsd58485d7

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a pretty big PR (41 min.) over the fastest of my three previous 70.3s. My goal was <6, so I was happy to surpass that goal. I held back a little on the uphills of the bike and held back a smidge on the run. I could have handled a bit more discomfort, but knew I was going to make my goal and decided against unnecessary suffering knowing I have a full Ironman coming up in 3 weeks.

Event comments:

This race is at the top of the list of best races for sure.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:14 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 59/149
Overall: 149/3335
Performance: Average
Suit: Full sleeve
Course: Savannah River with the current. Also with the gators, snakes, and seaweed! I was afraid I was going to look like the swamp monster when I got out all covered in green foliage!!!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:52:05 | 56 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/149
Overall: 0/3335
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:00:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/149
Overall: 0/3335
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-02 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2012-10-02 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4437455

User image

New user

Fayetteville
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

We are SO SO proud of you!  B2B better look out for ya'll!

2012-10-02 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Dag Maria, you threw down an awesome race! 2 Thumbs way up :-). Great race report.
2012-10-02 9:00 PM

User image

New user
KY
Nice going!  What a fun race it was:-)
2012-10-03 6:55 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Way to go! Great race
2012-10-03 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4438210

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Wow!  Awesome effort!

Keep that mental attitude for B2B and you will have a great race.

2012-10-03 9:00 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats!!  Awesome finish time!!
2012-10-03 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
SOLID!!! Very nice race. See you at B2B I hope. I am doing the opposite of what we did in 2010- I will do the half while you enjoy the full. Hope to see you out there on the run so we can wave as we pass each other :-)
2012-10-05 5:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Awesome report as usual!! And look where you've come from this year too -> back from running injuries to blowing your best HIM time right out of the water!! Now onward to B2B and seeing about a PR for that distance too! A little over 2 weeks for both of us!
2012-10-05 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Sounds like you had a great race. Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed