United States
5430 Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 36s
Overall Rank = 681/1067
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 72/128
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, filled my bottles, ate a cinnamon raison english muffin with peanut butter and honey, loaded the car and rode with Stacie to Boulder Res. When we got there, realized that my bike number blew off during the drive. After finding my rack and setting up by transition area near Stacie, Julia, and Jen, found the RD to get a new number placard. Then hung out with Stacie and Julia.
Event warmup:

Jogged for maybe a mile, then grabbed my wetsuit, hit the port-a-potty and cleared out of transition, as transition was closed 15 minutes prior to race start. Drank some water, ate a gel, pulled on my wetsuit, and hung out in the water with Eric.
Swim
  • 16m 15s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was among the roughest starts I have experienced. Lots of contact. I started somewhat near the front, but still kept having to move laterally to try to get by slower swimmers. The first couple of bouys were OK, but when I rounded the bouy to head back to shore, I must have swung a bit wide, because I was a good 10-15 yards off of the last bouy on the way in. I had been more or less following the pack and keeping an eye on the swim exit.
What would you do differently?:

Need to pay more attention when rounding bouys, and rely more on my own sighting!
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

This went pretty smoothly.

Not much
Bike
  • 56m 39s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

There was a short hill pretty soon after we exited the Res. Once over the hill, I took a drink and settled into my aeros. I love my aerobars! Felt pretty good through most of the ride, although the slow gradual climb out Hwy 36 was pretty slow. Still, I was passing people!

As I was riding, I remembered why I only use one particular bottle during races, and not during training rides...with the frame pump on, the bottle is too tall to make for easy removal and replacement. Since hubby has the CO2 pump in CA, I had the frame pump on my bike. At one point, I ripped off my bike number trying to pull out a bottle (yep, another bike number down)! In part because of the hassle, and in part because I am still adjusting to riding in aero position, I didn't drink nearly enough on the bike. I still had 2/3 of each bottle when I finished.

Shortly after I passed the second aid station, WHACK!, a bee flew into me and got stuck in my chin strap. I grabbed my water bottle and tried to flush it out, but I think I just succeeded in pissing the damn thing off, because it then stung me. Having never been stung before, I didn't know whether I was allergic. I wasn't having any trouble breathing, and the sting site didn't seem to be getting too swollen, so I decided to keep going and wait until after I finished the race to go to medical.

Drink more. I'm hoping an aerobottle will fit with my bars.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Another smooth transition. I thought about asking a volunteer whether the side of my face was getting swollen, but didn't think I could get that out quickly without causing confusion and alarm on the part of the volunteer, so I just kept going.

Not much.
Run
  • 31m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the lack of fluids on the bike caught up with me. I really hoped to do a sub-30 minute 5K and finish in under 1:45, but I just couldn't push my legs to move any faster. My calves were tight for most of the first mile, then I got a side stitch for part of the way. It is really frustrating to have a relatively good swim and bike, and then have all these people pass me on the run.

Drink more on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, gave up my timing chip, grabbed a water, and walked to the medical tent to have the stinger taken out. The folks at medical kept me there for about 10 minutes watching my blood pressure. They asked if I was out of breath. I told them, I had just finished a triathlon, so I was a little out of breath, but not extraordinarily so.

Once medical released me, I got my pancake and such, found Stacie, Julia, Ryan, Brett, Adam and Mark and his wife, and relaxed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of fluids on the bike, lack of speed workouts on the run, and lack of mental focus on the run (kept trying to keep tabs on my body to see if I was having a reaction to the bee sting).

Event comments:

This is a well organized race in a beautiful setting. Although the bike is a bit long for a sprint, it is a fast, fun course.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:15 | 880 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/128
Overall: 422/1067
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless O'Neill
Course: Rectangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:39 | 17 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Overall: 731/1067
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Open course with a few rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:55 | 03.1 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Overall: 836/1067
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on mixed terrain.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-19 10:14 AM
in reply to: #458633

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
Would you please quit making the same mistakes I make? First it's sighting and now it's not taking in enough nutrition on the bike. Let me make this clear - I AM NOT A GOOD EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW!!!!! Looks like a nice race even if you didn't quite hit 1:45. I think the bee sting would've freaked me out a little bit, but there was probably more pain in your legs at that point anyway, right?! Oh, and nice response to the med tent people about being out of breath.
2006-06-19 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

GREAT race Shannon!  gotta love getting stung on the face.  unreal.  glad you weren't allergic to bees....that could have been bad!  

Way to kick butt!

2006-06-19 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Nice job! Sounds like we have a similar strategy - have a good swim & bike & then let everyone by on the run. I'm sure next time you'll bee even faster without getting stung. That would have freaked me out.
2006-06-19 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Good job. Gotta drink more. And the be could have been worse. Last year I was riding at Wash Park when a be flew into my mouth. it was quite happy until I spit it out. Man did my lip swell. Good thing your not allergic. Again good race. Sorry I didn't catch up to you guys after the race.
2006-06-19 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Aside from the bee sting, I think it was a great race!!  And honestly, you probably could have hit your goal if you weren't worrying about the sting so much.  Congrats on a great performance and see you next week bright and early AGAIN

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed