United States
Team Magic
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 58s
Overall Rank = 234/247
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

OK, you have to hear about my friday disaster first. Because I want to remember for next year what I went thru the day before this race. I left myrtle beach at 6 am with 4 hrs sleep. Not good. Drove 5 hrs until I couldn't keep eyes open. let Heidi drive but did I mention I get very car sick when I am not driving and hit hills (uh yeah, ashville and such). By 2 pm I had a migraine and was fighting throwing up from the carsickness. We then hit a bad rainstorm in Knoxville and tons of traffic and I was praying for mike on the back. uh yeah, Heidi thinks it is weird I named my bike and even weirder that I was talking to him. We were to go right to race site, pick up packet, check in to hotel (I live almost 2 hrs from race site). Well the directions I had were a bit off, we got a little lost and I can't stand that southerners say something is just down the road and that means 20 miles. Uh I was really losing my patience by the time we found the place for packet pick up. Oh did I mention Heidi now wanted to go home and her car was at my office in Nashville? uh so I had to drive 90 minutes to take her home and turn back around to go to hotel. Ok almost back at hotel now about 9 pm. Stopped for gas and my wallet is missing. I have no gas, no wallet, 9 pm in boofoo TN. Meltdown coming back (you think the 4 hrs sleep and 12 hours on the road catching up here?) Found the wallet...realized my purse must have gotten knocked over when we unloaded Heidi's suitcases and found it under the seat. OK got gas...back to the hotel. I was really freaking out about this bad karma I was feeling so I was doing lots of self motivating talk and really trying to snap out of it and put on some happy music. OK, its dark and about 1 mile from hotel. What happens next folks...a deer comes flying out onto the country road. (now I hit one about 12 years ago in CT on a highway and it near totaled my car). I swirved so hard into the other oncoming lane, spun around right before I almost hit a tree. Thank goodness I was ok and no other drivers out. Ok I was beyond a princess fit and just bawled in the car and was shaking. You don't know how bad I wanted to just go home and forget the whole thing. I was getting really afraid that God was trying to tell me not to do the race...that something bad was going to happen. But I just didn't want to be a quitter. And I didn't want to give in to the bad stuff. So I got to hotel. Realized I forgot in all this to eat dinner so thank goodness I had some granola bars (it was after 10 pm now). Listend to some good music, calmed myself and got all set. Got to bed by 11 pm. Got up 5 am. Was at race site by 6 am.
Event warmup:

Got to race site and really tried to pep myself up. I smiled and said hi to everyone. I was going to be in a good mood!! :) Got my bike out. Amanda you would be so disappointed. Went to put air in my tires and I don't know what I did but uh, broke the valve or something? I found two guys to help at that point b/c I just didn't want to touch anythign anymore...(was I getting a little freaked u think?) they changed the whole tube and got me all fixed. Got to transition area and set up. Chris (trigods) and Chris (cbost) found me then and it was just good to be with some BTers to pep me up. I actually got in pool and did about 50 meters. We waited almost a 1/2 hour as the thunderstorm was 20 minutes away but we were eventually given the ok to swim. was able to watch both chris's do their swim before I got in.
Swim
  • 09m 20s
  • 383 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok so my time really wasn't much better than the last races but can I say it FELT so much better. The last 2 races I got a little caught up in it all and kicked, paddled and breast-stroked a few times and I felt lost all form and everything I practiced. This time I really wanted to just swim steady and consistent. I did my bilateral breathing and just swam clean the whole time. I only got passed a couple times and I did get to pass a couple myself. I am bummed the time wasn't better because I really felt like I swam better. I was focused and didn't really let crowd bother me. The time might be slower b/c you had to swim a bit extra to get to this weird thing to wade thru.
What would you do differently?:

Now that I know I can swim cleaner, I just need to push myself fast for the next race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

ok what the heck do I do for this long? Stop for coffee????? honestly I think it is just that I use it to stop and catch my breath which I know I shouldn't do b/c I slip everything on pretty fast. I must sit and take a power nap. Who knows?

BUT I WILL SAY THIS BEATS MY 2:38 T1 from my first race and both had the T time start and stop right outside of the transition area.

try biking without socks. try not using it as a time to catch my breath. I need to train more getting out of the pool after a workout and doing something...like run or bike. I am just so used to mozying to the lockeroom so I just plain get dizzy when I rush.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 50s
  • 15.25 miles
  • 14.56 mile/hr
Comments:

ok again, my time is no better than the race 2 weeks ago but better than the first race end of may. But the bike FELT better like the swim. I felt in control. I worked the gears. I kept punching out the miles. I even tried to take full advantage of the downhills (yes folks no brakes...don't pass out, it is true!). Ok I was just doing the happy dance around mile 14 realizing I was going to be done in under 1 hour when I had one more hill so changed the front gear and got a dropped chain. I have been able to peddle out of it before but not this time. I went to get off and yes folks I did not clip out fast enough. BAM right over. I swear I need knee pads or loosen my clips so I get out faster. Got off bike and was DETERMINED to fix it. Like 10 people passed and did the 'r u ok?" Now you may think after all I went thru I was ready to just quit. But I there was no way I was quitting at this point. If I had to walk the bike back the last mile I was going to do it. Then, 2 angels...2 guys who were whipping down the road very very fast, came by, asked how I was, kept going...they must have looked back b/c less than a minute later I realized they turned around to help me. Got off their bikes and fixed my chain. I was so grateful I almost cried. I wish I was coherent enough to look at their numbers so I could thank them after the race. It wasn't until I was almost done with bike that I realized there was lots of blooding dripping down my leg from my knee. What is my deal? I have like a million blood pockets in my knee and it was like the nile river. dang. But man, I guess b/c of the wind...it dried pretty dang fast. I pretty much ignored it and forgot about it until the end of the race when like everyone asked me about it. I will say at the end of this ride. I definitely felt like I could have kept riding (wow a first) and my 'seat' or my hand did not hurt nearly as bad as with other 2 races. (I also think the mile markers helped me and I drove the bike course the day before this time.

I have already made an appointment with my bike shop friends so we can just practice the crap out of changing tires, putting air in, fixing dropped chains. It is just not good that I don't know these basics things. I lost at least 3 minutes here.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

um I know I need to move faster but I just don't have the mojo. I don't know. I guess this will improve as the swim and bike segments don't wipe me out so much. It is not a matter of doing too much there or not being organized. I just am breathing like no ones business and just want to rest :):)

Oh how could I forget. Got to my spot and the guy next to me threw all his crap on top of my stuff. now I am good. I have limited stuff, use my pretty towel and tuck it close on my spot. Wendi I really wanted to fling his helmit!!

not be a woose and rest. (yes folks I actually think I stop, put my hand on the rail and rest for like 20 seconds).
Run
  • 35m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

ok here is the main problem. I run AT BEST 10 minute miles when I am just going out for 3-5 miles. I can run a marathon at 11, 11 1/2. This does me no good on the run here. I look at the winners.. they are running 7 minute miles. I am getting smoked on the bike and smoked on the run. I want to run faster but beyond my legs feeling it, my heartrate is so high and I can't seem to get it down until the 3rd mile (uh yeah, when the damn thing is over)...my 3rd mile was my best mile ...again. Oh yes it was fun running in knowing that the blood on my knee and the blood that dripped down my leg was now all dried up and looking all sorts of pretty. Can't wait to see the photo.

I just need more bricks. And I need to work on speed. Which I just started 2 weeks ago with my coach. So I guess I just have to be patient.
Post race
Warm down:

Got water and banana. Tried to get the EMT guy to clean my wound and the ding dong just put gauze over it with tape. uh, didn't even clean the thing off. thanks pal. Chatted with the Chris's and other people I met while in the swim line. I will say, I am happy with how supportive and friendly folks are at these things. It really helps.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly I just need to train more. Train more. Train more. oh and did I mention train more?

I am sure that driving from 6 am to 9 pm the day before and the all the trauma that went with it depleted mental energy even with all the pep talk I was giving myself.

But my goal was under 2 hrs definitely and hopefully a 1:45 finish so I cam pretty dang close, even with the bike incident. And while it is wayyyyy to easy to focus on the fact that I am finishing at the back of the pack and have so much to improve on...I step back and realize this is my 3rd race in just under 1 month and I have only been training in the pool and on my bike for a few months. I just have to be patient with seeing big improvements. I wonder though if I should cut out the rest of the races I have for summer and just focus on training...but then I realize every time I do these, my fear factor drops each time and heck it sure does remind me and motivates me to want to train harder!

And as much as I suck :) (hey but I think I look cute trying) I actually have a blast at these races. It just feels great and makes me want to go back for more. So I am hooked!

Event comments:

Team magic runs very well organized races. The post food a little limited but I am never that hungry anyway. I can't wait to go back to these races next season with a whole year of training under my belt. That is all I can keep thinking to motivate myself when I just rank so stinking low :)

Last updated: 2006-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:20 | 383 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/247
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 7 50 meter laps with another 25 yards that you swam to get to this weird wade pool with slides to swim/run out to transition area.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:02:50 | 15.25 miles | 14.56 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills. Some good flats spots.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:41 | 03.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: rolling hills with a couple steep ones (what else is new in TN?) just once I want a damn flat course the whole way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-24 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: McMinnville City Triathlon

2006-06-25 8:42 AM
in reply to: #464800

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: RE: McMinnville City Triathlon

Dang Renee, is Stephen King your tri coach. This sounds like one of those bad dreams you can't wake up from. Congrats on sticking it out and sucking it up. You want a flat race? Come down next March and do the Parris Is. Sprint. You'll even get a welcome banner put up at your motel prior to your arrival...just ask runergirl29.
So go home and sleep it off, you deserve it.

2006-06-25 9:47 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
All I came say is Drama, you must have been a cheerleader.  You seem to have a lot of problems with driving, maybe you should slow down and get better organized.    Nice race, but I can't believe you don't know basic bike stuff yet, whats the deal. Come on.  And on the run, why are you trying to get you heart rate down??? its a freaking sprint, you heart rate should be high because you should be pushing yourself hard.  Come on Renee, I expect more out of you.
2006-06-25 12:10 PM
in reply to: #464899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

Jeff, now don't hold back and just say things to be nice. Tell me how you really feel

If I were a drama queen I would have bailed on the whole damn thing. And I am not going to let you get me down. I am looking ahead thru the windshield and not focusing on the rearview mirror!

2006-06-25 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Nice race....

now that is what I call determination!!!

2006-06-25 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Great job renee and way to keep going after your spill!!!

2006-06-25 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great effort after some really tough stuff Renee   COngratulations!!
2006-06-25 8:22 PM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

Renee,

Great race... I think your body is getting used to doing these races, as much as you talked about feeling better in the events.  That and confidence is building. 

You are doing so much great work.  Keep it up!

Peace.

2006-06-26 8:01 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wow- way to hang in there.  You're doing great for being a beginner!  The more races you do the more you'll learn.  Don't feel bad-  no matter how well I train and how many BRICKS I do, I still have issues getting my legs to move fast on the run.  It just takes time!
2006-06-26 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

WoW!  Way to race despite your drama filled 24 hours surrounding the race!  If it makes you feel any better, I took a nice spill as well this weekend.  Had to stop short behind someone coming into T2 and didn't unclip one shoe quick enough!  Had blood dripping down my knee and hand the whole run..kinda yucky!  The body glide I quickly smeared on both kind of helped.  I tried to think of it as battle wounds.

If you are looking for nice flat race you should look at ones held at Callaway Gardens(1 hour south of Atlanta)  The bike was nice rolling hills with lots of shade.  The run had a few tiny and short hills.  It was a nice sprint course overall. 

2006-06-26 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Was still a great race Renee... You will get better you just have to give it time.
Run in and out of that transition area... There is plenty of time to rest on the bike or when you are done...lol

You are getting a lot better...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » McMinnville City Triathlon Rss Feed