General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kure Beach, North Carolina
United States
Setup, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 33s
Overall Rank = 76/240
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/45
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:50. Had canteloupe and yogurt along with some liquids. 2 Endurolytes and a gel about 35 mins before the start.
Event warmup:

Set up my two transition areas. Got in a short run to warm up the legs. Short swim to feel out the waves.
Swim
  • 14m 2s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim time does not include any transitions, but does include the run from transition back to swim start for the 2nd swim. Just like last year, this swim was one of the toughest swims I've ever faced. Prerace, all of the buoys broke loose and floated in. Their answer to this was to have the life guards hold them in place for the duration of the race. Needless to say, because of this, the swim course was constantly changing in its distance. Start was delayed for 15 mins because one guard couldn't get out past the breakers. Waves were 5-6'.

The focus was to get to the first buoy, then cruise with the current. Sighted an awful lot, with helped me duck under the nasty stuff. When a big wave was coming, I'd go very low under the water and get as straight as possible to avoid getting pulled. Seemed to work pretty well. The swim back into the beach was when my race started to break down. Was sighting and trying to catch a wave and got caught by a really big one. Remember the heels coming over my head at one point. When I came back up, I realized that I had just sacrificed my goggles to the Sea Gods. Trotted up to the transition area to grab shoes. Realized that the 2nd set of goggles that I always pack were back in the hotel room. DOH!

2nd swim took place after all the running and biking. After exiting the transition area, I had to run back up to the start and round a cone before entering the water. At this point, the lifeguards had given up on holding any buoys - instead holding up their red rescue tubes. They looked closer together than at the start, but I was a little intimidated by the lack of goggles. Water burned the eyes, but not too bad...the worst part of having a swim at the very end of a tri is the cramps. This happened last year and I chalked it up to being new at the whole tri thing. As soon as I hit the water the nice cool water had the thighs locked up. My focus was to get to the first buoy again....just get past the breakers, which looked like they had grown another 5 feet. LOL. I got there eventually - with lots of breathing every 2 strokes. For the first time in my life while swimming, I felt the touches of panic setting in. Finally struggled to the first buoy...the second came fast and then back in to the beach. Rode a few waves into the sand and came up running. Finished tired, but strong.

Compared to last year's race, I did the swim 9:47 faster than last year. I have no clue if that's due to my fitness level, the conditions, the length of the course, or the current. Something tells me that its a little of each that contributed to that time savings.

Overall, another interesting Kure Beach swim. Was happy that I didn't freak out with losing the goggles and swimming the 2nd leg without them.

6:08 on the first swim
7:54 on the second swim (includes beach run too)
What would you do differently?:

Bring 2nd pair of goggles to the TA!
Work out the thigh cramping issues.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Comments are for the swim to run transition (T1) and the run to swim transition (T4) Due to the number of transitions, transition times weren't recorded. T1 was the swim to run transition. Ran up the beach across the mats to a beach transition area, so T1 is included with the run time. It consisted of grabbing my shoes and putting down my swim cap by a little stake that had my race number on it. I did well here...just grabbed the shoes and kept on running to the road. Ran through a baby pool filled with water to get the sand off and put the shoes on for the 1.5 mile run.

The 2nd transition at this area was after the 2nd run - so T4 time is included with the 2nd run. I'm happy with my performance here compared to last year. Last year I stopped, got my breath, and jogged up the beach back to the swim start. This year, I haul ass though here.

Not bad here. Its a pretty simple transition, so no real changes/improvements to make.
Bike
  • 33m 42s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 22.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year, this was the first race I did on my new Felt. This year, I wanted to crush last year's time (which was 33:59). I knocked off a whole whopping 17 seconds. A frame that lighter than last year even since I'm running race wheels now. I'm pissed more than I can put into words at how shitty my "engine" is. It seems that for a long race, I can find that groove where I can pound away for long periods of time. Short races just result in ineffective muscles that sit there and burn the entire time, raising the heart rate and killing me mentally. I'm so flipping tired of giving up my whole damn race on this leg and I'm going to freaking do something about it. I don't know what or how, but I'm going to fix this problem if it kills me.

My strategy here was to haul ass. I swear that I did. Passed a ton, though as usual, I got passed by some of the true bikers as if I were standing still. The course was crowded more than you can imagine - did some drafting here and there - not much you can do when you're 3 wide and can't cross the center line. Probably no more than everyone else.

Lose some weight so I'm not carrying an extra 8 lbs around with me compared to last year.

Try to not suck as much. Become a true biker.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 and T3 are included here. They were the run to bike and the bike to run transitions. Both were pretty smooth. The one thing I need to work on is my bike mounting skills. This could save another 10-20 secs in transition.

Band the shoes. Leap onto the bike.
Run
  • 26m 51s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

3+ freaking minutes slower than last year!!!! OMG! I don't know how or why my Age Group ranking is as "low" as it is. I felt like I was running so hard, yet the times say otherwise. I walked for about 8 secs right out of the bike to run transition area so that I could swallow some water and dump the rest on my head. Perhaps its timing mat locations etc since this time includes the swim to run transition and the run to swim transition, but how long does that add on - 1:30 or so?

13:08 on the leg out
13:42 on the return trip

Brutal. Best part of my race took place at the beginning of the first run and the end of the 2nd run. It was there that my wife and kids were manning the water aid station. The kids all threw cups of water at me. The wife kindly handed me a cup. :) Its probably the highlight of the whole race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

The first 30 seconds after the race seem to be the best and worst 30 seconds of my life. LOL! I'm so happy to be done yet sad to see it end. Got chip cut off and grabbed some water. A lot of water.

Event comments:

I suppose its the bad races that make the good races seem so..... well ....good. I hate for this RR to seem so negative as well. I guess my expectations going in were much higher than they should have been. I also think that this race signifies a change in my goals for this season as I no longer think I can finish in the top 20 in my AG for the season. I think all of this is coming out in this RR. Its hard to believe I feel this way since this truly is a personal best for me for this race, but I'm more disappointed in where the time savings are coming from. I think I realize that the swim isn't going to win any races. Its just going to put me out in front where I need to lengthen that lead. I'm frustrated that it just isn't happening on the bike, and I'm giving it back on the run.

So...with this race, I need to re-think the goals and decide if they are even attainable. I need to work on the bike and the run segments of my racing and try to find that groove to get in.

Last updated: 2006-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:02 | 820 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/45
Overall: 46/240
Performance: Average
Order was swim-run-bike-run-swim. Swim 1 and Swim 2 times and distances are combined.
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Ever changing - supposed to be 3 sides of a rectangle. Rectangular course out into the waves, then with the current, then back in with the waves.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:42 | 12.4 miles | 22.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/45
Overall: 122/240
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: 3 miles out, 3 miles back - done twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:51 | 03 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/45
Overall: 89/240
Performance: Bad
Course: Winding course through Kure Beach to the bike transition area. 1.5 miles out, then after the bike, 1.5 miles back.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-27 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-27 11:09 AM
in reply to: #467142

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon
Very funny about your kids throwing water at you! Hold on to the improvements you did make this race. Even if you haven't gotten as far as you'd like, you're still improving. And that's saying something. It's also good to see what you need to work on. Keep at it and be happy for the small victories!
2006-06-27 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Jeff, great race in very tough conditions, I think the swim may have been harder than last year!
I don't think you should judge your performance so harshly, I think this race took a lot out of people mentally, especially the second run knowing you had to get back in the water.
Great job, you have a tough age group.
2006-06-27 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

GREAT race, Jeff...wasn't the swim a brutal one last year too?

My season isn't exactly going as planned either...so I feel your pain!  Just think of it as more base training!

2006-06-27 4:58 PM

User image

Graham,NC
I know that you are disappointed in your race, but I am so proud of you. We can't wait to watch you and throw water on you for the rest of your race season. 
2006-06-28 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Congratulations on a fast fast race. Very interesting race format.

Awesome swims, 22+ MPH on the bike and a solid run!

If I had 8lbs extra pounds on me I would have sunk, flatted and walked. Great effort!

I know what you mean about re-thinking your goals, but methinks you shouldn't. In my opinion, even if your day didn't go exactly as planned, it was still really fast and not too distant from where you want to be. Stick to your goals; remember that this can be a roller coaster ride so we have to learn from the "bad" and enjoy the heck out of the good.

Make it payback time on July 9th.

2006-06-28 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Chin up, bud...PR for starters, even in the crap conditions!!!  And remind me to get a copy of your race schedule...so I know when to sign up for the DU, so I don't have to do these brutal swims you're becoming O-SO=FAMOUS for. 

2006-06-28 2:43 PM

Master
Boston
I don't know about you but 22 mph is a pretty darn fast time on the bike. I don't know if Barry could even beat that. (hope he doesn't read this) This race is very odd- there is a swim at the end? I think I know I would be dead in the water. Sucks about the goggles too. What a freak thing to happen. By the way, your work sked. makes training even harder, I'm sure- so don't beat yourself up too much, ok?
2006-06-28 4:44 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Tough race man!

On the bike, intervals.  Speed work.  Hills.  Not all the time, but thrown in there, the way you'd throw in a speed work session for running.

A swim that rough probably took more out of you than you think it did.  And swimming the 2nd swim leg with no goggles.  That's motivation! 

Don't sweat the race too much, you kicked on many levels, and you had fun!!! 

2006-06-28 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
all you can do is your best and move on....Great swim despite the waves...no idea how you managed it....hope you had fun at least.....
2006-06-29 1:35 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Nice race...I seriously thought about doing the "run/bike/run"...many people didn't even attempt the ocean. I had moments of panic myself, this swim is not what triathlons are supposed to be about. We should be testing our endurance, not our ability to withstand the washing machine. Maybe I'll see you at Triangle....

Edited by chris hughes 2006-06-29 1:36 AM

2006-06-29 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Jeff, two thoughts: 1) you improved over last year, even if slightly. That is still improvement. And the bike leg is something that I would love to have right now. This particular race is one of those that you can only compare to the one in prior seasons because it is so unique. Again, your improving, keep on plugging. 2) reassessing goals. I am in the same boat, though I did not improve my time over last years in Lake Kristi (only sprint I did both years). I am refocusing on a three year plan (this being the first one) to build up to being in the top 25% of my age group. I really thought with the work I was doing, it would come quicker, but it hasn't. Keep on working and keep the chin up. Hope to see you at Duke Liver this year. I am hoping to get closer to your time from last year

Dick
2006-06-30 8:50 AM

User image

Buttercup

I remember reading last year's race report - the swim was brutal! I'm pretty sure this race will never be on my schedule.

I think you did GREAT. You are mentally tough and turned in a solid performance. Sounds like you had both Power and Speed during the swim - you don't swim those conditions and have a great time without having a lot of Power in you. After using said Power on the swim, you proceeded to turn in terrific bike and run splits.

Great job, Jeffers!!

2006-06-30 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

You have a lot to be proud of. Swim sounded brutal once again. But, we're swimmers now, aren't we Coredumps got it right with the bike training shiznit.
Remember you had a calf injury a while back AND have been commuting and really not training as much. Overall, I'd have the cheshire grin we Bostic's are famous for

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed